inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Artistry Round 27 (Eminem) RESULTS POSTED

Written By: skittlesking on 05/23/08 at 6:51 pm

As stated prior to this thread, VOTING is worth points.  If you vote and did not enter this contest, you will get 3 points towards the overall 5 year standings in the Artistry contest.  When you vote as an entrant in this round, you receive 5 points for voting. . .that means no one who votes ends with no points. . . .

Anyway, the rules are pretty similar to other contests.  This is round 27 so please know that ALL rounds will count EQUALLY toward the final standings, and NO rounds will be omitted from the final total.

1. All participants must comment on all entrants and vote by the deadline, which for this rounds is June 5th, 2008.  Failure to vote will forfeit all points from this round, and if that is less than 20 points, the difference will be forfeited in the following round (No Disqualifications)

2. Voting will take place by replying to this thread

3. If a person withdraws from an Artistry Round prior to the end of a round, all entrants who voted for that person's entry will be permitted to pick one new song to earn a bonus point, all other songs will be realigned accordingly.  There will be no penalty on those who don't change their vote.

4. Once a vote is posted, it cannot be changed UNLESS rule 3 applies OR there was a double-vote by accident.

5. Late entries will be accepted until the 1st vote has been posted.

6. The deadline is a strict deadline, the moment the date has reached the day after the deadline, no votes will count, this is to reduce last minute voting, or sympathy/favoritism towards different entrants.

7. We ask that any entrant who posts a link to his/her original song (source of parody) not be DKTOS for the contest.

8. All other basic competition rules as applied in other competitions are generally followed.  The rules may not be changed or altered unless two/thirds of those voting in a round where a rule change is requested agrees.  Rules may be added by host (Below Average Dave) if it was a rule in the ABC or SOTM contest that was thought to be common knowledge, but not known by a particular entrant.

Deadline:
EST (New York) June 5th at midnight
Central (St. Louis): June 5th at 11pm
Mountain (Denver): June 5th at 10pm
Pacific (Los Angeles): June 5th  at 9pm
Sydney, AUS: June 6th at 2pm
The UK: June 6th at 5am

1. Livin' Like Jed Clampett by Matthias
    Cleanin' Out My Closet

2. Sting at the Moment by Agrimorfee
    Sing for the Moment

3. Foul Mouthed Me by Red Ant
    Official Recording

4. I Hate Me by Below Average Dave
    Just Lose It

5. My Name Is Mr E (Your New Teacher) by The Conqueror of Parodies
    My Name Is

6. Pimp My Ride by Rex Ungericht
    By My Side

7. Dirty Word's (Eminem's Lullaby) by Invisible Boy
    Mockingbird

8. Lose Your Wealth by Ethan Mawyer
    Lose Yourself

Subject: Re: Artistry Round 27 (Eminem) Voting Deadline June 5th

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/27/08 at 9:00 am

I'm sure Ethan would appreciate seeing his name on the splash page next to the parody he wrote, Dave.  ;)

Written By: Red Ant on 05/27/08 at 7:05 pm

Just wanted to add that my recording link is Not SFW (not safe for work), those under the age of 312, and some bedroom appliances.

Ant

Written By: Below Average Dave on 05/27/08 at 7:11 pm

Just wanted to add that my recording link is Not SFW (not safe for work), those under the age of 312, and some bedroom appliances.

Ant

So that's what happened to my Sonic the Hedgehog Automatic Pillow. . .

Written By: Red Ant on 05/27/08 at 9:02 pm

So that's what happened to my Sonic the Hedgehog Automatic Pillow. . .

Jack's song offed his Sonic: Hedgehog Automatic Pillow
As well as his goldfish, cat and platypus: they're killed: D'oh!
The Energizer Bunny even died upon his dil.. whoa!
Jack's song offed his Sonic: Hedgehog Automatic Pillow

:D

Ant

Written By: Rex on 05/29/08 at 11:22 am

Great work everyone. This was a tough one to rank.

1 point to Red Ant
2 points to Matthias
3 points to Ethan
4 points to Agrimorfee
5 points to Invisible Boy

HM's to Dave and Conq.

And a big sigh of relief that Eminem can only come up once in the comp.

Written By: Matthias on 05/29/08 at 11:44 am

5 Points: Red Ant's Foul Mouth
4 Points: Invisible Boy's Foul Mouth  ;)
3 Points: Agrimofee's Sting
2 Points: Pimp Rex
1 Point: Dave's Self Hating Confusion

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/29/08 at 12:38 pm

5pts=Invisible Boy
4pts=Red Ant
3pts=Ethan
2pts=Matthias
1pt=Conqueror
HM=Dave & Rex

Everyone gets some points for a hard, hard round.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/30/08 at 9:28 am

5 points to Matt
4 points to IB
3 points to Aggy
2 points to Ethan
1 point to Rex

Ant

Written By: Matthias on 05/30/08 at 3:12 pm

5 points to Matt
4 points to IB
3 points to Aggy
2 points to Ethan
1 point to Rex

Ant

THANKS JACK!!!  :)

Written By: Max Power on 06/03/08 at 5:32 pm

5pts - Mark Redman's cussing on every game he starts

4pts - Aggie gets stung

3pts - BAD emo

2pts - Mafia switching to Geico

1pts - Rex Grossman trying to pimp his crappy performance

HM: Cop shooting up the kids, Invisible swear words, and Ethan's story going from rags to riches to rags

Written By: ThaConqueror on 06/04/08 at 4:04 am

1 point to Stung Agri
2 points to Don Ethan
3 points to BAD Self-Esteem
4 points to Matty Boy, YEE-HAW!
5 p**nts to R*d Ant

Written By: Below Average Dave on 06/05/08 at 9:33 am

HM to IB and Ethan: the thing with these two is just I didn't find a lot of humor, though I applaud EVERYONE for taking on Eminem, easily the toughest round thus far in the comp, and Barry White feels like a cake walk at this point

For those who missed the point on my entry, I Hate Me was a song about a guy with low self esteem who is trying to convince himself that he doesn't suck, and I'd be happy to explain any portion of it to anyone who's curious. . .but anyway my top 5

1 Point to The Conqueror of Parodies

2 Points to Matthias

3 Points to Red Ant

4 Points to Rex Ungericht

5 Points to Agrimorfee

Written By: EthanM on 06/05/08 at 10:38 pm

5 points to red ant
4 points to agrimorfee
3 points to conqueror
2 points to matthias
1 point to badave

Written By: Invisible Boy on 06/05/08 at 10:40 pm

I've just spent the last two hours listening to Eminem and I think my head is going to explode.

5 points to Agrimorfee

4 points to Red Ant

3 points to Matthias

2 points to Rex

1 point to C of P

HM to BAD and Ethan. Everyone deserves applause for this round.

8)

Written By: Below Average Dave on 06/05/08 at 10:57 pm

Congrats to Red Ant, Agrimorfee and Matthias!

1st Red Ant's "Foul Mouthed Me" with 37 Points

2nd Agrimorfee's "Sting for the Moment" with 34 Points

3rd Matthias' "Living Like Jed Clampett" with 27 Points

4th Invisible Boy with 23 Points

5th Rex Ungericht with 15 Points (1 2nd Place Vote)

6th Ethan Mawyer with 15 Points

7th Below Average Dave with 13 Points

8th The Conqueror of Parodies with 11 Points

MAX POWER: Bonus 3 Points for voting

Subject: Re: Artistry Round 27 (Eminem) RESULTS POSTED

Written By: Matthias on 06/05/08 at 11:00 pm

Nice! A podium!!! (I knew if I stuck this song in enough places it would eventually pay off, and after SOTM, Decathlon, and the ABC, I'm glad it finally earned something)

A hearty-handshake (And a slap on the back) to...

http://depletedcranium.com/ralphie_soap.jpg

AND

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/03/entertainment_celebrities_honoured_by_the_queen_/img/6.jpg

Written By: EthanM on 06/05/08 at 11:02 pm

My response to everyone who had a comment that I disagree with:

IB: I'm quite aware that Mao was not russian - it was supposed to be a Mao/Stalin hybrid with some pol pot and maybe others thrown in there, hence the "fictional" part of the title

Matty: Staying awake in economics class wouldn't have helped you one bit with this one because economics class pretty much only covers capitalism. History and political science and sociology and anthropology classes all probably would have dealt with totalitarian communism more than economics class.

Badave:  If Communist Totalitarianism, which dominated world history for about 50 years and helped to shape the current major global conflicts is an obscure topic then I'm not sure if anything outside of food and bodily functions isn't obscure.

Max Power: You were obviously confused. There was no back to rags here.

The lesson learned is that this song is confusing to some and if I want to contend in contests over here the I should go with more straightforward parodies, which I could have easily done this round.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 06/05/08 at 11:04 pm

IB: I'm quite aware that Mao was not russian - it was supposed to be a Mao/Stalin hybrid with some pol pot and maybe others thrown in there, hence the "fictional" part of the title

Matty: Staying awake in economics class wouldn't have helped you one bit with this one because economics class pretty much only covers capitalism. History and political science and sociology and anthropology classes all probably would have dealt with totalitarian communism more than economics class.

Badave:  If Communist Totalitarianism, which dominated world history for about 50 years and helped to shape the current major global conflicts is an obscure topic then I'm not sure if anything outside of food and bodily functions isn't obscure.

The lesson learned is that this song is confusing to some and if I want to contend in contests over here the I should go with more straightforward parodies, which I could have easily done this round.

I have a disagreement with your comment on mine also, but I will keep that to myself as it would be a mute point.

Written By: Matthias on 06/05/08 at 11:04 pm

In that case I'm glad I slept in Economics class.... Because I wouldn't understand whatever the hell you wrote about anyways...

Written By: EthanM on 06/05/08 at 11:11 pm

I have a disagreement with your comment on mine also, but I will keep that to myself as it would be a mute point.

No it wouldn't....this is for feedback, isn't it? If my point is a good point and people agree with me on it then it might help you for  the future, and if I can be convinced that I was wrong maybe it would help me for the future.

Besides, the word is "moot". A mute point is made by someone who doesn't talk out loud.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 06/05/08 at 11:13 pm

No it wouldn't....this is for feedback, isn't it? If my point is a good point and people agree with me on it then it might help you for  the future, and if I can be convinced that I was wrong maybe it would help me for the future.

Besides, the word is "moot". A mute point is made by someone who doesn't talk out loud.

It's 12:12 at night, I've got updates to do, and spell checker doesn't check such little things, If I have further comment, I'll do it in the morning, right now I'm just a bit on the defensive after your commentary on this thread. . .you said it in a combative manner, and you have to understand why one would take it that way

Written By: EthanM on 06/05/08 at 11:25 pm

My issue was not really with you but society allowing something not remotely obscure at all to be considered obscure through shifted priorities. While I may have been disappointed with several comments, the only one that really offended me was Max Power's.

Written By: Invisible Boy on 06/05/08 at 11:26 pm

Oh Yeah...well my parody WAS funny... >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Seriously...

Congratulations to: Red Ant, Agri and Matty

8)

Written By: Below Average Dave on 06/05/08 at 11:39 pm

My issue was not really with you but society allowing something not remotely obscure at all to be considered obscure through shifted priorities. While I may have been disappointed with several comments, the only one that really offended me was Max Power's.

Ok, well I will forgive and forget, I really don't want to argue or anything, but we all have things that some may perceive differently than others--I thought your parody's topic was obscure in that it covered a topic no longer at the forefront--that's just how I saw it, just as with my parody and was about me hating myself, and one would probably know me to read a song about me to begin with--thus they'd know about the song references, what we say doesn't always come across the same way to everyone.  Anyhow, congrats winners, and thanks for the comedic punch IB

Written By: EthanM on 06/05/08 at 11:50 pm

There probably isn't any way that a contest centered around Eminem in which 5 votes are cast for seven writers could avoid controversy. I guess that my comments here might've been slightly combative, but I felt somewhat insulted by the voting and felt a need to defend myself through explanations.    I didn't say anything about the rhyming criticisms or about it not being all that funny because I don't completely agree on those grounds. But to possibly lose points in this competition because people don't pay much attention to history is terrifying - not because I lost points but because people don't pay attention to history.

I hope that this doesn't spill over into idol voting - although things might be more interesting if I feuded with Matthias from the beginning until one of us gets knocked out.

OK Dave I saw your response and it looks like it'll have to be an agree to disagree sort of thing over here, and since if either of us had the opportunity to record an album for a  record label neither of our entries for this round would probably be considered for the album it's not a big deal.

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/06/08 at 7:43 am

I'm not defending or decrying anyone here, but Max's comments tend to be on the minimalistic side. I would hope that he did get the point about the parody, and his phrase "Poor indeed" was an assenting statement about the end result of a Communist dictatorship, and not an overall commentary on the parody. End of inner-turmoil discussion on my part.

Good job Red and Matty! This was a fight to the finish.

Written By: Red Ant on 06/07/08 at 8:47 pm

Congratulations to Aggy and Matt, and thanks to all who enjoyed (or perhaps just endured  :D) my foul mouth parody.

And hey, an Eminem round without controversy??? Like he said: "we need a little controversy".

Ant

Check for new replies or respond here...