inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Voting Thread For ABC4(U) - *** results posted ***

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 06/12/08 at 12:39 am

Welcome to the
ABC4 (U)
Voting Thread

Voting deadline for ABC4(U) is midnight (amiright time)  Wednesday June 25th
No votes date-stamped after the voting deadline will be accepted - no exceptions

Vote by replying to this thread with your five favorites in order:

1st choice........5 points
2nd place.........4 points
3rd place..........3 points
4th place..........2 points
5th place..........1 point

or in algebraic terms, p = 6 - r     (p=points, r=rank)

RULES
- Any parody beginning with the current letter is eligible, except parodies that have been entered into ABC1 or ABC2 or ABC3
- You're not allowed to vote for your own parody
- Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it
- Anyone who's participated in any previous ABC contest may vote
- Any entrant who hasn't left a comment on all entries is disqualified and may not participate in the next letter
- Any entrant who doesn't vote by the voting deadline (above) is disqualified and may not participate in the next letter

ALSO
Under no circumstances will a vote that missed the voting deadline be accepted (even by 1 second)
However the resulting disqualification from entry to the next ABC4 comp may be over-ruled, if you do the following...

1.  Post an "appeal" on this thread giving your excuse for missing the deadline, and plead for mercy
   2.  If your plea wins the sympathy of 3 other entrants your disqualification from the next round will be overturned
        Your late votes will still not count though 
        (if less than 4 entrants in the comp, only 2 sympathetic "Thumbs Ups" are required)

and the entries are.........

1.  the_conqueror_of_parodies
Underneath The Bed
          video here

2.  Matthias
Use Duct Tape
          video here

3.  Below Average Dave
Underpaid
          youtube here

4.  Red Ant
Used To Love Her ('cuz She Was My Sister)
          youtube here

5.  Agrimorfee
Unger's An Odd Duck

6.  Doritos
Under-Dressed
          youtube here

7.  Mikey Squirrel
Urkel Reigns
          video here

Subject: Re: Voting Thread For ABC4(U) - deadline: midnight Wed June 25th

Written By: Matthias on 06/12/08 at 11:31 am

That's not fair!!!

Aggy gets to enter twice and his other song doesn't even start with the letter "U"!!!

But since it's Mr. Bungle, I GUESS I'll allow it  ;)

Written By: Matthias on 06/12/08 at 11:42 am

5 Points: Below Average Dave
4 Points: Guy DoRitos
3 Points: Red(neck) Ant
2 Points: Agrimorfee
1 Point: Mikey

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/12/08 at 2:56 pm

Video (with lyrics) for "Under The Boardwalk": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV6WgRAN9FU

(Tony deserved a better break... ;))

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 06/12/08 at 5:09 pm

That's not fair!!!

Aggy gets to enter twice and his other song doesn't even start with the letter "U"!!!

But since it's Mr. Bungle, I GUESS I'll allow it  ;)

Well it meant I had to eliminate Tony Soprano, and it turns out he's VERY hard to get rid of :o

done now though  :D  - thanks Matt

Written By: DoRitos on 06/21/08 at 9:13 am

5 Points to number 4 for Jack's twisted sister act
4 Points to number 5 for Agri's OCD parody
3 Points to number 2 for Matt's non recording tape
2 points to number 1 for COP's monster bash
1 Point  to number 3 for BAD's dismal fiscal

HM to Number 7 for Mikey's nerdaciousness

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/23/08 at 8:09 am

5pt=Below Average Salary Dave
4pt=Guy Deshabille
3pt=Red Aunt
2pt=Sticky Matthias
1pt=Conqueror of Monsters

Written By: ThaConqueror on 06/24/08 at 3:39 am

1 point to Mikky Squerrl..wait, did I do that?
2 points to Taped Matthias
3 points to Red Ant's sister
4 points to BAD debts
5 points to Doritos-brand Underpants

Edit: My bad. How I got IB messed up with Guy I'll never know.

Written By: Matthias on 06/24/08 at 11:00 am

4 points to BAD debts
5 points to Invisible Underpants

Invisible Boy isn't in this round, the song you're referring to was done by Guy DiRito

Written By: DoRitos on 06/25/08 at 5:00 am

4 points to BAD debts
5 points to Doritos-brand Underpants

Edit: My bad. How I got IB messed up with Guy I'll never know.

COP - No problem - It's not a bad thing to be mistaken for a great writer like IB and thanks for the high 5.  And Matt thanks for yelling this out.  I saw it but didn't want to be the one to speak up about it.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 06/25/08 at 5:53 pm

1 Point to Agrimorfee
2 Points to Matthias
3 Points to Guy DiRito
4 Points to Red Ant
5 Points to The Conqueror of Parodies

Written By: Red Ant on 06/25/08 at 7:31 pm

7 entrants.. need 6 or 8 or some other number than 7.

HM to Unger's An Odd Duck
1 point to Urkel Reigns
2 points to Use Duct Tape
3 points to Underneath the Bed

it's hard to pick 1st and 2nd this round, but my 4 points goes to Underpaid and 5 goes to Under-Dressed

Ant

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 06/26/08 at 1:17 am

voting closed - results up soon

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 06/26/08 at 1:26 am

Results of the ABC4 U-Round

1st place with 21 points:            "Under-Dressed" by Guy Di Rito
2nd place with 19 points:            "Underpaid" by Below Average Dave
3rd place with 18 points:            "Used To Love Her ('cuz She Was My Sister)" by Red Ant

conqueror_of_parodies..........11
Matthias..............................11
Agrimorfee............................7
Mikey Squirrel.......................3

one disqualification: Mikey  :(

hmm, very close at the top. 

Congrats to Guy Di Rito on an overdue win, and to BADave and Jack for filling out the places.

see you all in the V's

Subject: Re: Voting Thread For ABC4(U) - *** results posted ***

Written By: DoRitos on 06/26/08 at 4:21 am

Thanks everyone for your votes and confidence.  Jack & BAD - Either of you could have gotten to 1st place if you had not given me such generous votes since you had the edge by voting last and had access the the vote count at that time.  Now I really eat crow for that bad slap I gave Matt a few months back.  I am truly among great people here and I feel humble in your presence.  Never again will I be so unthoughtful - and the best thing is that you guys gave me a break by not holding that against me.  I am truly grateful for all of your acceptance of me despite me and my Italian temper that sometimes gets out of check.  Camaraderie is a good thing.  Thanks so much!

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/26/08 at 7:38 am

(Petty stuff has no place in an otherwise friendly 'net social network, which this entire place is technically. )

Congrats Guy, Jack and Dave.

Written By: Red Ant on 06/26/08 at 1:47 pm

Congrats to Guy and Dave; well done gentlemen. Thanks everyone for the feedback and votes on my entry as well.  :)

I would have to disagree about voting last minute as being advantageous in any way: I almost missed the deadline yesterday due to my connection being quite slow in the AM - I didn't get to read/sing all of the parodies to TOSs. Had I read and voted a day or so earlier that might have been avoided.

Like Aggy said, petty stuff doesn't have a place in these contests. My votes were based on merit, not generousity (or animosity, or friendships or anything else). I'm glad I didn't count points before my vote, because knowing my vote would push BAD's parody, one of his best, out of ABCotY might have possibly influenced my 1st/2nd place vote to be reversed to make a tie gold finish (we don't have tiebreakers in ABC anymore, right?). It was practically a coin flip between you two anyway for me - both were very good parodies.

And that's all I have to say about that.

See most you all in the V round.  :)

Ant

Written By: DoRitos on 06/26/08 at 5:19 pm

Congrats to Guy and Dave; well done gentlemen. Thanks everyone for the feedback and votes on my entry as well.  :)

I would have to disagree about voting last minute as being advantageous in any way: I almost missed the deadline yesterday due to my connection being quite slow in the AM - I didn't get to read/sing all of the parodies to TOSs. Had I read and voted a day or so earlier that might have been avoided.

Like Aggy said, petty stuff doesn't have a place in these contests. My votes were based on merit, not generousity (or animosity, or friendships or anything else). I'm glad I didn't count points before my vote, because knowing my vote would push BAD's parody, one of his best, out of ABCotY might have possibly influenced my 1st/2nd place vote to be reversed to make a tie gold finish (we don't have tiebreakers in ABC anymore, right?). It was practically a coin flip between you two anyway for me - both were very good parodies.

And that's all I have to say about that.

See most you all in the V round.  :)

Ant

I did not mean for my comment to come off the way it seems to have been taken.  I need to quit posting on threads at Oh-DarkThirty before I am completely awake.  I was simply trying to say that I was so wrong about my thoughts awhile back when I jumped on Matt and made unfounded accusations.  I was simply saying that it is always possible for the last voters to influence an outcome.  I was not saying or inferring in any way that this is what I thought happened.  I thought that everyone voted objectively.  I was "eating crow" because I was so wrong about what I had thought a few months ago.  And I really needed to "eat crow", and I know you guys well enough that there is no "charity" when it comes to comps and judgement is not subjective, but objective as it should be.  Parodies win or lose on their own merits.  You can believe this or not but I actually felt quite foolish rather than victorious when I had seen that my parody won.  I was simply trying to apologise and thank at the same time. 

When I vote I get the number of the entry - click on the link and then copy and paste all the entries from amiright into a notepad document.  I capture the parody only and not the author's name.  Then I run through them and decide by number who I should vote for and how many points each is worth from those I want to vote for.  I do not want to know who I am voting for.  I want to vote for how well I liked the parody.  After I've read them all I vote on them by numbered entry.  That is my final vote and I do not change it.  I then comment on them and after I finish commenting and voting on amiright.com I then put the name with the number on the vote point sheet and I copy and paste that onto the thread to cast my vote.  I do not recommend that anyone need process a comp the way I do and I understand and have been where you have been Jack - commenting and voting in a huge hurry to beat the deadline.  That is why I vote early on so I can be completely objective and I don't have to rush, but deadlines have a way of sneaking up on all of us.  Please - I meant nothing but to say that I felt the voting was totally objective.  It could not have been anything else with the outcome as it is. 

I am sorry if I have confused anyone on what I really meant here.  It was all good and I'm still trying to live down what I did.  I have felt badly about it since it happened.  I am grateful that you guys are stand up enough to have forgiven me for my rude and unfounded comment. 

Written By: Below Average Dave on 06/26/08 at 6:08 pm

Well Guy, I took it as, "Thank you guys for not voting to help yourselves and voting honestly", and Thank You for that Guy, I think I took it the way you meant.  As Aggy said, no time for petty differences, I always vote honestly. . .I tend to be a late or last minute voter as I'm--well--too lazy to get it done sooner :D

Anyway, Congrats on your victory, despite being tired of "Be Our Guest"--when pulled off well it's hard not to enjoy it. . .and congrats to Jack as well on a close third!

Written By: DoRitos on 06/26/08 at 6:30 pm

Well Guy, I took it as, "Thank you guys for not voting to help yourselves and voting honestly", and Thank You for that Guy, I think I took it the way you meant.  As Aggy said, no time for petty differences, I always vote honestly. . .I tend to be a late or last minute voter as I'm--well--too lazy to get it done sooner :D

Anyway, Congrats on your victory, despite being tired of "Be Our Guest"--when pulled off well it's hard not to enjoy it. . .and congrats to Jack as well on a close third!

Thanks BAD.  It was the only "U" I had that wasn't already used.  I really didn't expect it to do well at all.  It was in SOTM and didn't do very well at all in that comp.  And thanks for replying and putting me at ease.  See you in the "V" round, I hope.

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 06/26/08 at 8:45 pm

oooops I seemed to have forgotten about this one :-[
Sorry about that guys. I guess I forfeit my- um - 2 whole points.

Check for new replies or respond here...