inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New Medal for SOTM, what to do with results

Written By: Below Average Dave on 07/07/08 at 4:48 pm

"A medal shall be awarded to the highest ranking parody which did not make the month's podium and is of an original song which has not previously earned any medal"

is the rule that passed last month, it will be retroactive for 2008 so that the results of this thread and the subsequent poll are representative of the whole year. . .

Now the question is what to do with it?  Looking for nominations as to what the reward should be, I have two, but will submit them as replies. . .Voting will take place around the time SOTM starts

Subject: Re: New Medal for SOTM, what to do with results

Written By: Below Average Dave on 07/07/08 at 4:52 pm

Four ideas right off the bat. . .

1) Create a one round end of the season (The twelve months) that takes place during wild card with the twelve medal winning songs, basically a "Whatever the name of the award is" of the year round

2) Enter the 12 into a separate Wild Card that takes place during the regular wild card, the top 3 go on to the SOTY: Award all participants who have entries ten points to vote (the only problem here is if one person holds 8 of the 12 awards, unlikely)

3) The winning songs are entered into the wild card round along with others who choose to enter, again awarding particpants who have entries ten points to encourage voting since entry would be automatic, also giving ten points to those who enter regular wild card entries eliminating DQs for wild card

4) Eliminate Wild Card, and enter the twelve songs into SOTY

Written By: agrimorfee on 07/07/08 at 5:11 pm

I don't want to eliminate Wild Card...

And I was thinking that this would be a special honorary award, kind of like "Miss Congeniality", not necessarily a competitive one that tallied votes.

I abstained from voting for this award, it should be noted, as I felt people contributing parodies songs that very few people have ever heard of on a consistent basis would dissuade folks from following their "muse" on a tried and true song.

I would simply propose a voluntary vote, during any SOTM competition, to tag a competing parody as **the as yet unnamed Award** that I felt was worthiest of the honor. If one, or a number, of entrants recieve that tag, they would be considered the **the as yet unnamed Award** winner (no tie-breaking event...the podium would be shared). We make so many tabulations already for the points...think of the additional work involved to dig into the Amiright files each month just to make sure that the entry has never been done before, especially if it came from, say 10 or more entrants? And do we really want to have a competition within the competition over who has done the best never-done-before song?

If I don't make sense with any of these thoughts, please ask me to clarify.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 07/07/08 at 7:13 pm

And I was thinking that this would be a special honorary award, kind of like "Miss Congeniality", not necessarily a competitive one that tallied votes.

I abstained from voting for this award, it should be noted, as I felt people contributing parodies songs that very few people have ever heard of on a consistent basis would dissuade folks from following their "muse" on a tried and true song.

I would simply propose a voluntary vote, during any SOTM competition, to tag a competing parody as **the as yet unnamed Award** that I felt was worthiest of the honor. If one, or a number, of entrants recieve that tag, they would be considered the **the as yet unnamed Award** winner (no tie-breaking event...the podium would be shared). We make so many tabulations already for the points...think of the additional work involved to dig into the Amiright files each month just to make sure that the entry has never been done before, especially if it came from, say 10 or more entrants? And do we really want to have a competition within the competition over who has done the best never-done-before song?

If I don't make sense with any of these thoughts, please ask me to clarify.

Not that it doesn't make sense, but healthy debate--I don't necessarily agree with all of your points

I have already built an easy to enter database with a script that literally takes 3 minutes to update.  .  . I could easily make this script available in case anything were to happen to me, all I have to do is check the list (which is kept backed up weekly along with badave's updates) so no it wouldn't really create any extra work on me to figure out who the award goes to, and points wouldn't be affected at all. . .It is not difficult to maintain a list of what songs have won--Peter already made a pretty good list to go by, and all I have to do is add new songs as they happen.  Being that the list is alphabetical, it's rather easy.

As for "Miss Congeniality", my problem with that is. . well for one. . .I would kinda few that as a 'pity' award if it had no meaning, which I wouldn't really want myself. . .

I don't see how any of this encourages people to abandon old songs. . .in fact, the top two the month it passed were "Big 7" and both of them voted for this rule, it doesn't penalize anyone for doing an older song at all. . .

I personally like the idea of a separate round at the end of the year that is not related to Wild Card, though I'm worried about this years Wild Card as the podium has been extremely unique this year, there may not be many Wild Card contestants eligible this year--but that's why I'm open to ideas, I will put the "Miss Congeniality" idea on the ballot, though I can safely say I disagree that it would diminish the use of 'tried' songs. . . nor do I feel the workload would be very great. . .

The yet to be named award was passed with how it was going to be awarded as part so no additional voting is necessary. . .it is figured out using the regular results and comparing it to an existing list of podium winners. . .

Written By: agrimorfee on 07/08/08 at 8:03 am

8)'S cool. Carry on. (karma point for continuing the healthy debate...EDIT: when the system will let me drop another one on you!)

Written By: Below Average Dave on 07/08/08 at 6:21 pm

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/gorillaz36.shtml

Written By: McKludge on 07/08/08 at 9:28 pm

If we are still looking for names for the award, how about giving this new monthly winner a ROSE

Rare Original Song Endowment

Written By: K1chyd on 07/09/08 at 2:48 pm

I'll second that.

I was thinking that this would be a special honorary award, kind of like "Miss Congeniality", not necessarily a competitive one that tallied votes.

That was my initial intent.

I have already built an easy to enter database with a script that literally takes 3 minutes to update.

/........./

I personally like the idea of a separate round at the end of the year that is not related to Wild Card, though I'm worried about this years Wild Card as the podium has been extremely unique this year, there may not be many Wild Card contestants eligible this year--but that's why I'm open to ideas.

My problem with this is not a separate round at the end of they year, we can have that as easily as any other competition I suppose, the objection I do have is that it's probably more work than it's worth to run such a comp for the purpose of putting one or three more songs in the SOTY, which is already 39 songs big and with 99 percent certainty is gonna be won by one of the songs that won a gold medal for its month anyway. What's the best a winner (or three songs) from such a round could do in SOTY? Top 20? Top 10? I don't know but it doesn't seem to add that much extra for the amount of extra work involved methinks.

Now since you have a database and are open to additional ideas I'd like to suggest something else, it's from the top of my head so feel free to take it as anything less than though out in detail but I think it adds more for less work, and could be done by a data base thingy if that's what you're into; a complete list of SOTM entrys for the whole year and their number of points recalculated to percent:

To illustrate the point it would look like this given the maximum number of points in the May round would have been 13x5=65:

Phil 39/65 = 60,00 % of max
IB, you and me 27/65 = 41,54 % of max
Agrimorfee and Red Ant 16/65 = 24,62 % of max
Matthias 14/65 = 21,64 % of max
And so on all the list down...

For April, 12 voters (I just checked) and a maximum of 60 points

Dave 45/60 = 75,00 %
Kristof 40/60 = 66,66 %
CoP = 15/60 = 25,00 %
And so on all for all the contestants.

*Realises that 90 % reading this have now been scared away by all the math*

Anyway, add all the songs from a whole year of SOTM to such a list and it will give a whole different type of yearly such, without any extra voting or rounds, every single song from every round could be on it, and then we could have a separate thread about it, not for more extra voting but just to discuss, reminisce and fondle the mammaries memories...

Written By: Below Average Dave on 07/09/08 at 3:51 pm

I'll second that.

That was my initial intent.

My problem with this is not a separate round at the end of they year, we can have that as easily as any other competition I suppose, the objection I do have is that it's probably more work than it's worth to run such a comp for the purpose of putting one or three more songs in the SOTY, which is already 39 songs big and with 99 percent certainty is gonna be won by one of the songs that won a gold medal for its month anyway. What's the best a winner (or three songs) from such a round could do in SOTY? Top 20? Top 10? I don't know but it doesn't seem to add that much extra for the amount of extra work involved methinks.

Now since you have a database and are open to additional ideas I'd like to suggest something else, it's from the top of my head so feel free to take it as anything less than though out in detail but I think it adds more for less work, and could be done by a data base thingy if that's what you're into; a complete list of SOTM entrys for the whole year and their number of points recalculated to percent:

To illustrate the point it would look like this given the maximum number of points in the May round would have been 13x5=65:

Phil 39/65 = 60,00 % of max
IB, you and me 27/65 = 41,54 % of max
Agrimorfee and Red Ant 16/65 = 24,62 % of max
Matthias 14/65 = 21,64 % of max
And so on all the list down...

For April, 12 voters (I just checked) and a maximum of 60 points

Dave 45/60 = 75,00 %
Kristof 40/60 = 66,66 %
CoP = 15/60 = 25,00 %
And so on all for all the contestants.

*Realises that 90 % reading this have now been scared away by all the math*

Anyway, add all the songs from a whole year of SOTM to such a list and it will give a whole different type of yearly such, without any extra voting or rounds, every single song from every round could be on it, and then we could have a separate thread about it, not for more extra voting but just to discuss, reminisce and fondle the mammaries memories...

I really like that idea actually, and think I will incorporate it . . .

Check for new replies or respond here...