inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Artistry Round 31 (Brandy) RESULTS POSTED

Written By: Below Average Dave on 07/24/08 at 11:43 pm

As stated prior to this thread, VOTING is worth points.  If you vote and did not enter this contest, you will get 3 points towards the overall 5 year standings in the Artistry contest.  When you vote as an entrant in this round, you receive 5 points for voting. . .that means no one who votes ends with no points. . . .

Anyway, the rules are pretty similar to other contests.  This is round 31  so please know that ALL rounds will count EQUALLY toward the final standings, and NO rounds will be omitted from the final total.

1. All participants must comment on all entrants and vote by the deadline, which for this rounds is August 8th, 2008.  Failure to vote will forfeit all points from this round, and if that is less than 20 points, the difference will be forfeited in the following round (No Disqualifications)

2. Voting will take place by replying to this thread

3. If a person withdraws from an Artistry Round prior to the end of a round, all entrants who voted for that person's entry will be permitted to pick one new song to earn a bonus point, all other songs will be realigned accordingly.  There will be no penalty on those who don't change their vote.

4. Once a vote is posted, it cannot be changed UNLESS rule 3 applies OR there was a double-vote by accident.

5. Late entries will be accepted until the 1st vote has been posted.

6. The deadline is a strict deadline, the moment the date has reached the day after the deadline, no votes will count, this is to reduce last minute voting, or sympathy/favoritism towards different entrants.

7. We ask that any entrant who posts a link to his/her original song (source of parody) not be DKTOS for the contest.

8. All other basic competition rules as applied in other competitions are generally followed.  The rules may not be changed or altered unless two/thirds of those voting in a round where a rule change is requested agrees.  Rules may be added by host (Below Average Dave) if it was a rule in the ABC or SOTM contest that was thought to be common knowledge, but not known by a particular entrant.

Deadline:
EST (New York) August 8th at midnight
Central (St. Louis): August 8th at 11pm
Mountain (Denver): August 8th at 10pm
Pacific (Los Angeles): August 8th  at 9pm
Sydney, AUS: August 9th at 2pm
The UK: August 9th at 5am

Due to the fact we have 5 entrants, in this round entrants will vote for a song to receive 5 points, 4 points, 3 points and 2 points--their one remaining point will be added to the vote bonus meaning essentially you are your fifth choice--those not required to vote who choose to vote get to vote for all 5 entrants in the order they feel they earned, this is unless a late entrant arrives prior to the first vote, which would create a 6th entrant and erase the need for this procedure

1. Have You Ever by Below Average Dave
    Have You Ever

2. Fool's Moon by Matthias
    Full Moon

3. Amnesiac by Agrimorfee
    Afrodisiac

4. Dumplings Shouldn't Bounce by The Conqueror of Parodies
    Almost Doesn't Count

5. Crappy by Rex Ungericht
    Happy

Subject: Re: Artistry Round 31 (Brandy) Voting Deadline 8/7/2008

Written By: Matthias on 07/25/08 at 10:30 am

4 Points: Agrimorfee
3 Points: Below Average Dave
2 Points: Conquerer
1 Point: Rex

Written By: Below Average Dave on 07/25/08 at 11:07 am

3 Points: Below Average Dave
2 Points: Conquerer
1 Point: Rex

I will adjust that. . .it's "5 points, 4 points, 3 points and 2 points"

Written By: Rex on 07/25/08 at 12:47 pm

2 points to Conq
3 points to BAD
4 points to Matthias
5 points to Agrimorfee

Written By: agrimorfee on 07/25/08 at 1:09 pm

5pts=Matthias
4pts=BAD
3pts=Conq
2pts=Rex

I need a few doses of No-Doze after this round (not due to the writing, but due to the music...zzzzzz)
(Thanks Rex & Matty! Hate to toot my horn, but I think this round is mine...)

Written By: Max Power on 07/28/08 at 2:57 pm

5pts - Have you ever won anything?

4pts - Mafia eating fool's gold sandwich

3pts - Cop wasting food by testing it on the ground

2pts - Aggie's tale of...what was again? I forgot

1pts - Grossman's crappy parody and performance as usual

Written By: agrimorfee on 07/29/08 at 8:03 am

5pts - Have you ever won anything?
1pts - Grossman's crappy parody and performance as usual

Max, if you are only joking, you aren't doing a very good job of it. If not, you should curb the harshness of your language/rhetoric in a social forum such as this.  ???

Written By: Max Power on 07/29/08 at 7:25 pm

Max, if you are only joking, you aren't doing a very good job of it. If not, you should curb the harshness of your language/rhetoric in a social forum such as this.  ???

Why so serious? :P

Written By: agrimorfee on 07/30/08 at 7:50 am

Why so serious? :P

Fine, try emoticons more often, though.  :P  :)

Written By: ThaConqueror on 08/03/08 at 1:58 am

2 points to Tiger Rex
3 points to Full Matthias
4 points to BAD Lawsuits
5 points to...wait, who was it again? *scrolls down* Right, Agri. How could I forget him?

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/04/08 at 7:39 am

5 points to...wait, who was it again? *scrolls down* Right, Agri. How could I forget him?

I didn't forget a thank you here. ;)...

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/04/08 at 7:40 am

5 points to Agrimorfee

Posted by: Matthias 

...but I almost forgot these. Thanks!

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/07/08 at 11:16 am

You know, it's kinda funny that the artists we hate the most seem to create some of the most out there ideas. . .I felt that Matty and Agri both did an amazing job (and it could be just me) but I was pretty impressed by TCOP and saw quite a bit of comedy in Rex's . . .alas my vote

2 Points to the far from Crappy Rex

3 Points to the bouncing Conqueror

4 Points to Mooning Matty (pulls pants down)

5 Points to Airhead Agri (WOW)

That's all folks from my vote!

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/07/08 at 11:56 am

5 Points to Airhead Agri (WOW)

Merseebowcoo. 8)

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/07/08 at 12:31 pm

Merseebowcoo. 8)

De rien

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/07/08 at 11:48 pm

The voting is in, and boy was it close  :o

1st Agrimorfee "Amnesiac" (28 Points!)

2nd Below Average Dave "Have You Ever" (26 Points) (Identical Votes Received)

2nd Matthias "Fool's Moon" (26 Points) (Identical Votes Received)

4th The Conqueror of Parodies (20 Points)

5th Rex Ungericht (15 Points)

Bonus: Max Power (3 Points for Voting When Not Required)

Congrats to Agrimorfee, and to my  co-2nd placer Matthias, and thank you to those who voted for me--onto The Ramones

Subject: Re: Artistry Round 31 (Brandy) RESULTS POSTED

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/08/08 at 12:24 am

Someone asked me earlier, why there is no 3rd when two people tied for second, and while I realize you guys have used "Dense Ranking" on certain contests in the past, that is not the proper way to rank competition. . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranking#Standard_competition_ranking_.28.221224.22_ranking.29

Is a good explanation of how competitive ranking works.

Allowing all entrants to move up a spot when people are tied would increase the likelihood of gaming the point system and make it a headache in the contests on year end or series end contests/standings 

IE

If the tie system worked by "Dense Ranking", then let's say 8 people are in a competition together, and with one voter left (we'll say the Entrants names are A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H--and it's H who hasn't voted) the current points are A has 20 Points, B has 19 Points, C has 18 Points, D has 16 Points, E has 13 Points, F has 12 Points, G has 11 Points and H has 0 Points.  currently that'd mean

1st A has 20 Points
2nd B has 19 Points
3rd C has 18 Points
4th D has 16 Points
5th E has 13 Points
6th F has 12 Points
7th G has 11 Points
8th H has No Points

But with H still having to vote, H could vote 1st place G (giving G 16 Points), 2nd Place F (giving F 16 Points) 3rd Place E (giving E 16 Points), 4th Place C (giving C 20 Points) and 5th Place B (giving B 20 Points) while obviously givin A and D 0 points. . .

Using Conventional or Standard procedure that'd mean
1st A, B, C each have 20 Points (assuming no tie break breaks it)
4th D, E, F, and G have 16 Points
and H would finish 8th . . .and still just three podium spots

Using Dense Method all 8 people make the podium
1st A, B, C with 20
2nd D, E, F, G with 16
3rd H with 0

So while unlikely, it'd make gaming a larger possibility and even without gaming it'd exponentially increase the amount of people on the podium.  IE, With Jeff Reuben as host for ABC-2005 E, 2nz won with 25 points, both Stuart and Guy earned 21 points for 2nd, and According to the way it was posted, MysteryGoat, Scathe and Jeff Reuben each got 3rd with 20 points, that amounts to 6 PEOPLE out of 12 ENTRANTS on the podium (for the record it is not being posted into the database like this--it is being posted as 2nz in 1st with a tie for second, and no third)  That is why generally in competition, the standard or conventional method is used. . .

Subject: Re: Artistry Round 31 (Brandy) RESULTS POSTED

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/11/08 at 5:01 pm

Hey thanks to everyone for your votes! (i didn't forget, the thread got buried!!)

Check for new replies or respond here...