inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dusty Old Archive Competition

Written By: DoRitos on 08/15/08 at 10:07 am

I posted the message below on the ABC4Z entry thread in response to a post suggesting combining letters of the alphabet with others in the ABC comps. for rare letters like Q, X and Z.  Agrimorfee sounds like he agrees with adding this new comp. to the messageboard "Song Parody Contests".  So a motion was made and it was seconded.  Can you please add your ideas to this new comp. and get another contest going? 

I'd like to see a contest where it would be like SOTM but on a bi-weekly basis where writers could enter any song in their portfolio, regarless of beginning letter or ruled to be written within a certain time span, except that it has not been written within the last two weeks of submission.  In other words the writer may use any parody at all that is over two weeks old.  It could be called "The Dusty Archives Competition".

I, like Agri hate to have to wait it out when I want to use a parody in a comp.  I have had many occasions where I had to painfully deselect some parodies for SOTM due to more than one having potential or just wanting to get some extra exposure to it.  When there are two favorites in one month I have to choose which is going to be SOTM and then the other has to wait for ABC.  If we had say "The Dusty Old Archive Parody Competition" TDOAPC for a handle this would give us more freedom to enter this type of comp.  It would be kind of like a blend of SOTM and ABC, only with more freedom. 

Of course the new comp. needs a name I suggested the dusty archives above but here is another idea - SCAN "Second Chance At Notoriety".  If you are in favor of this new comp. please add your comments to this thread and suggest a name.  A list of names will be compiled and a democratic vote will choose the name.

BAD added the following comment as I was drafting this new thread, to the ABC4Z thread that is relevant to this thread:

I think that's a great idea, I also think songs which have won a podium in any of the prominent competitions should not be allowed in such a competition (as it defeats the purpose of what you state) 

Perhaps
"Classics Competition" with the rules being just like any other competition voting etc, except that the song must be over one month old and not have placed within the top 3 of any other competition listed (SOTM, ABC, Artistry, Ages, Decathlon 1 or 2)

Subject: Re: Dusty Old Archive Competition

Written By: jreuben on 08/15/08 at 10:13 am

I like this idea.  I'd be for it, and would participate.

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/15/08 at 12:08 pm

When this gets started, make an announcement on Amiright.com about it.

We will probably need a complete cut/paste of the established rules from other comps for newbies.

Written By: DoRitos on 08/15/08 at 12:27 pm

BAD suggested that songs must have been posted at least 30 days to compete.  My thoughts were that songs must have been posted at least for two full weeks before submission.  My idea was based on running a contest every two weeks as opposed to only one per month.  We need to get a concensus on the minimum age of the parody to be eligible and how long the comp runs. - I suggest one of the following:  2 weeks - 3 weeks - 4 weeks.  So a motion is put forth as to how long the comp lasts.  May I have a second and then some voting.  I think one month is too long to wait and two weeks may be too quick.  I'm for 3 weeks.  I also second BAD's motions on his rule ideas posted above except for the rule that says a parody must be at least one month old before eligibility. 

And yes Agri, getting some rules from another contest is a good idea.  Could you dig some up and post here please so we can tailor them to the shape this contest will take?
  ;)

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/15/08 at 12:51 pm

I'd vote for 30 Days post-submission eligibility, and 3 weeks voting time, for a monthly competition.

Here's the most recent Rules rundown from the ABC4 Y round:
Welcome to the
ABC4 (Y)
Voting Thread

Voting deadline for ABC4(Y) is midnight (amiright time)  Wednesday August 20th
No votes date-stamped after the voting deadline will be accepted - no exceptions

Vote by replying to this thread with your five favorites in order:

1st choice........5 points
2nd place.........4 points
3rd place..........3 points
4th place..........2 points
5th place..........1 point

or in algebraic terms, p = 6 - r     (p=points, r=rank)

RULES
- Any parody beginning with the current letter is eligible, except parodies that have been entered into ABC1 or ABC2 or ABC3
- You're not allowed to vote for your own parody
- Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it
- Anyone who's participated in any previous ABC contest may vote
- Any entrant who hasn't left a comment on all entries is disqualified and may not participate in the next letter
- Any entrant who doesn't vote by the voting deadline (above) is disqualified and may not participate in the next letter

ALSO
Under no circumstances will a vote that missed the voting deadline be accepted (even by 1 second)
However the resulting disqualification from entry to the next ABC4 comp may be over-ruled, if you do the following...

1.  Post an "appeal" on this thread giving your excuse for missing the deadline, and plead for mercy
   2.  If your plea wins the sympathy of 3 other entrants your disqualification from the next round will be overturned
        Your late votes will still not count though 
        (if less than 4 entrants in the comp, only 2 sympathetic "Thumbs Ups" are required)

DQ for not voting on time should be carried over. No penalty for no entry, but you may vote if you haven't submitted. If some crazy person would like to start a statistical tally as Stu does, more power to 'em.

Written By: jreuben on 08/15/08 at 1:02 pm

I'd vote for 30 Days post-submission eligibility, and 3 weeks voting time, for a monthly competition.

Here's the most recent Rules rundown from the ABC4 Y round:
DQ for not voting on time should be carried over. No penalty for no entry, but you may vote if you haven't submitted. If some crazy person would like to start a statistical tally as Stu does, more power to 'em.

I agree with everything Agri said/voted for.

"I'd vote for 30 Days post-submission eligibility, and 3 weeks voting time, for a monthly competition."

Written By: DoRitos on 08/15/08 at 2:30 pm

Amended Rules Proposal

RULES

- Any parody that has been posted for a minimum of 30 days is eligible, except parodies that have medaled in any previous ABC, SOTM or SCAN * Comp.
- You're not allowed to vote for your own parody
- Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it
- Anyone who's participated in any previous ABC, SOTM or SCAN * contest may vote
- Any entrant who hasn't left a comment on all entries is disqualified and may not participate in the next letter
- (This may be appealed if an entrant can convince 3 participants that a comment omission was unintended.  Same rules apply as the appeal process explained below)
- Any entrant who doesn't vote by the voting deadline (above) is disqualified and may not participate in the next round of competition
- Competition time for each round will be 3 weeks starting on a Saturday Midnight US eastern daylight or standard time and ending same time 3 weeks later - when next round of voting begins.
- The person who takes the gold gets to start and tally the voting results for the next round posting by highest to lowest - if the winner cannot set up the next thread the first person to enter the next competition may start the new round and run it to completion.  **
- Rounds should be kept track of in the following manner - SCAN * YYYY-NN ie SCAN * 2008-01, 2009-10 Etc

ALSO
Under no circumstances will a vote that missed the voting deadline be accepted (even by 1 second)
However the resulting disqualification from entry to the next SCAN * comp may be overruled, if you do the following...

1.  Post an "appeal" on this thread giving your excuse for missing the deadline, and plead for mercy
   2.  If your plea wins the sympathy of 3 other entrants your disqualification from the next round will be overturned
        Your late votes will still not count though 
        (if less than 4 entrants in the comp, only 2 sympathetic "Thumbs Ups" are required)

* I took the liberty of calling this comp "SCAN" but will amend that name when we decide on what this should be called.  Also will amend any rule changes/additions/deletions  that a majority of writers decide.  Please feel free to pick this apart.  I feel that since this idea is a child of SOTM and ABC then all fruit from the same tree of these comps are related and should be considered in the rules  If Y'all want to include no parodies allowed that medaled in all comps now's the time to speak up.  Otherwise only SOTM and ABC criteria should be mandated by the not eligible rules and liberties to vote are extended to anyone who has participated in a SOTM and/or ABC comp but no other comps.

** I will start the first round unless someone else wants to.  I'm just that easy.   ;)

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/15/08 at 2:59 pm

Any entrant who hasn't left a comment on all entries is disqualified and may not participate in the next letter round.

The person who takes the gold gets to start and tally the voting results for the next round posting by highest to lowest - if the winner cannot set up the next thread the first person to enter the next competition may start the new round and run it to completion.  **

If it has not been noted already, I don't generally have time to "host" a contest. Whoever is available, and able, should do it if/when I take gold.
Thanks.

Written By: Matthias on 08/15/08 at 3:05 pm

I think that if we were to start this competition that we should drop something else, because at the moment there are a whole lot of competitions going on. (ABC, SOTM, Artistry, Karaoke Revolutionized, POTQ, ect...)

I like the sound of this competition, but I think there's already too much going on as it is.

Written By: DoRitos on 08/15/08 at 5:17 pm

I think that if we were to start this competition that we should drop something else, because at the moment there are a whole lot of competitions going on. (ABC, SOTM, Artistry, Karaoke Revolutionized, POTQ, ect...)

I like the sound of this competition, but I think there's already too much going on as it is.

Matt - I did think of that but it seems like the time is right for something like this.  And I agree that the comps are getting out of hand.  If one has to go then I'd like to suggest either pick the one that is the least popular or better, quicker and fairer, list them all in a poll and have the authors vote on which they like the least and that one goes.

Written By: DoRitos on 08/15/08 at 5:29 pm

round.

If it has not been noted already, I don't generally have time to "host" a contest. Whoever is available, and able, should do it if/when I take gold.
Thanks.

Ag - so what makes you think you'll even smell gold?   ;D   ;)  I have that base covered.  I've been amending the rules for the last few hours as I think of possible scenarios.  I amended that stipulation to read that if the gold winner cannot run the thread for the next round then the first person to submit an entry will do it.  Or we could just make it that the first person to submit will run the thread.  If someone wants to run the thread they can submit first.  If not they can wait.  If three days pass and no one steps up I will run it if I am not tied up or it could still default to the gold in this eventuality.

Oh yeah - thanks for grabbing up that ABC rules post for me.  :)

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/15/08 at 5:45 pm

I also disagree on some principle's that you mention Matty.

Karaoke Revolutionized and Request Hour are NOT competitions. . .they are projects

POTQ is only once every 3 months

SOTM is only once a month

Only ABC and Artistry are really constant, and neither require any period of time for writing unless you wish to have a parody for those rounds and don't already have on that qualifies.  I don't know if ABC is being carried to a fifth set or not, and Artistry has a definitive death date (End of rounds) so I don't feel any competition HAS to be dropped, though I'm beginning to wonder if ABC is going on past the end of this season.

Now on the contest

I am very enthusiastically for it. . .

Let me explain my 30 days rule and why I feel that way.  By having it as "30 days" it reduces the likelihood of someone trying to enter a song that they then enter into SOTM or the current ABC round.  Red Ant (by phone this morning) actually thinks it should be 60 days, which I wouldn't mind either--as I am hopping this contest is more of a contest for songs that haven't been big successes in contests in the past or haven't been entered.

Two rule changes I would like to put into consideration are:
- Any parody that has been posted for a minimum of 30 days is eligible, except parodies that have medaled in any previous ABC, SOTM or SCAN * Comp.

SOTM and ABC (and obviously whatever this contest gets called), but wondering if we should not include Ages, Decathlon and Artistry as prominent parodies have been posted in each--but I'm not specifically for or against including those three, wondering on other people's thoughts on whether Ages/Decathlon/Artistry medals should also not be eligible.

The other

I do think tie break policy should be included-if nothing else just to avoid major clutter ties. . .but I'm just wondering other opinions on that too.  No vote-off or anything, just a "The person with the most 1st place votes, 2nd place votes, 3rd place votes etc"

My main reason for that idea is because I am almost done with the site, and there are so many ties in ABC history and early SOTM that the average people on the podium is actually close to 3.25, though I know as more contests get entered that became less of a problem.

**The database should be complete in the next 30 days or so, It contains (among other things) a recap page that scans all qualifying* competitions for each person so it is easy to see if someone has been on the podium with any given song and it will help entrants themselves consider what ones may have been closest to entry.

I like "Classics" as the competition name, that's just me, kind of a prominent name--I also like "DOAC" (Dusty Old Archive) but for that I vote "Classics"

From the way Agrimorfee posted, it sounds like you guys are leaning for three week voting periods and one week entry periods (like the SOTM basically), does that mean that we'll just run it monthly and not have overlapping like we do with ABC?  I personally am indifferent, I myself am more for two weeks with overlapping, but wouldn't mind the idea of it being month to month, if so I guess September can be the first round (it would be easier for labeling in the database "Classics September 2008"

As for ABC's fate--that should be up to Stuart, it is now his competition after all

I pass on hosting for now since I am the host of SOTM, POTQ and Artistry (though I wouldn't mind giving away POTQ to be honest, I feel odd hosting so many) but if no one else comes forward, I will take it under my wing and care for it as I have my own brainchild-Artistry. . .

I agree with Agrimorfee, no reason to really have a big annual or cycle point count etc, I think this should just be an ongoing--uninterrupted contest.  It WILL be added to the database with the other competitions though since it seems like it will follow the rules I set as *Qualifying rules* above.

*Qualifying rules for the purpose of the database are simple, contests where people voted for less than two people (such as the original ABC set that I want to make clear shouldn't count towards podium if someone has an entry from that era), voted for more than seven people (such as Rap Parody Contest), did not have a distinct entry thread AND voting thread (such as all the Silver Power contests), that did not have open voting (Such as AmIRight Idol, Request Hour, and Karaoke Revolutionized), and contests where entry was not voluntary (such as SOTY) were not included and are not being included as I complete the database because they differ too much from the point systems the contest is based on.

Written By: DoRitos on 08/15/08 at 10:05 pm

From the way Agrimorfee posted, it sounds like you guys are leaning for three week voting periods and one week entry periods (like the SOTM basically), does that mean that we'll just run it monthly and not have overlapping like we do with ABC?  I personally am indifferent, I myself am more for two weeks with overlapping, but wouldn't mind the idea of it being month to month, if so I guess September can be the first round (it would be easier for labeling in the database "Classics September 2008"

I guess I expressed my idea wrong.  What I was trying to suggest is that the comp actually would run in 2 week cycles with a 1 week overlap.  This way we could get more parodies exposed.  I also am unfamiliar with most other comps as I have only participated in SOTM and ABC.  Most of these other comps were conceived when I was not frequenting the board for about a 2 1/2 year period.  So I will go along with the ideas on how the other comps should be regarded as it applies to SCAN or DOAC or whatever this gets called.  And if we go on a 2 week cycle then I think the comps should be tracked using the YYYY-NN format that I have posted in the proposed rules above.

Also I have no idea what you are referring to, BAD, when you mention a database and the word podium.  I'm lost on whatever concept this is.  Some explaining in 25 words or less might help.  I cannot commit to hosting as my job sends me off on temporary duty a lot and I am currently attending a lot of high pressure training in order to get mandatory certifications for my job.  Perhaps if and when things lighten up if this comp becomes reality and is still running I can take over hosting. 

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/15/08 at 11:02 pm

I guess I expressed my idea wrong.  What I was trying to suggest is that the comp actually would run in 2 week cycles with a 1 week overlap.  This way we could get more parodies exposed.  I also am unfamiliar with most other comps as I have only participated in SOTM and ABC.  Most of these other comps were conceived when I was not frequenting the board for about a 2 1/2 year period.  So I will go along with the ideas on how the other comps should be regarded as it applies to SCAN or DOAC or whatever this gets called.  And if we go on a 2 week cycle then I think the comps should be tracked using the YYYY-NN format that I have posted in the proposed rules above.

Also I have no idea what you are referring to, BAD, when you mention a database and the word podium.  I'm lost on whatever concept this is.  Some explaining in 25 words or less might help.  I cannot commit to hosting as my job sends me off on temporary duty a lot and I am currently attending a lot of high pressure training in order to get mandatory certifications for my job.  Perhaps if and when things lighten up if this comp becomes reality and is still running I can take over hosting. 

LOL

Ok-the database I'm referring to is the site I'm building that keeps track of the history of all contests on AmIRight, it should be complete soon, it's the one I started back in April, I rebuilt it completely to where now it is realistic for me to complete it in it's entirety. . .for an idea of what it will look like complete go to http://www.badave.com/contests/all/profiles.php?id=22  (The stats are real and exist for all contest up to and including October 2005's SOTM, I'm getting through about 10 threads a night right now--I have not uploaded pages for comps I haven't gotten to yet, but most links are operational.)

Also, I agree on the two week competitions with overlapping, someone suggested three weeks. . .

Written By: DoRitos on 08/16/08 at 6:51 am

LOL

Ok-the database I'm referring to is the site I'm building that keeps track of the history of all contests on AmIRight, it should be complete soon, it's the one I started back in April, I rebuilt it completely to where now it is realistic for me to complete it in it's entirety. . .for an idea of what it will look like complete go to http://www.badave.com/contests/all/profiles.php?id=22  (The stats are real and exist for all contest up to and including October 2005's SOTM, I'm getting through about 10 threads a night right now--I have not uploaded pages for comps I haven't gotten to yet, but most links are operational.)

Also, I agree on the two week competitions with overlapping, someone suggested three weeks. . .

BAD - THANKS for the link.  I am quite impressed with your site  8) and I can't begin to imagine what a job it is to populate it.  8-P  :(  And all my questions are now answered in 25 words or less.  :)

Please all who wish to participate resume your feedback on this idea so we can get all the rules in place and start doing comps.  I thank all so far who have responded.  Actually I didn't think I'd get this much support.  ;)

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/18/08 at 7:59 am

it does take time to fairly judge these comps in addition to submitting new works (when applicable). That is my reasoning for a 3 -week voting time.

Written By: Red Ant on 08/18/08 at 10:39 am

Red Ant (by phone this morning) actually thinks it should be 60 days, which I wouldn't mind either--as I am hopping this contest is more of a contest for songs that haven't been big successes in contests in the past or haven't been entered.

Two rule changes I would like to put into consideration are:

Yeah, I'm for at least a 60 day wait on parodies being in this contest. Reason being that eliminates any chance of an entrant being in SOTM and this competition at the same time. A parody written on July 1st, 2008, entered into July SOTM can be voted on up to August 31st - a full two month span. Having such a parody in SOTM (which is for the newest songs) and this one (which is for older songs) at the same time doesn't seem right.

I've got a few concerns though...

One is a somwhat permanent contest host. Going by winners is a good idea, but in practice I don't think it'll work out too well. I know I'm out of town too much to commit to running it full time, though if it were a monthly contest, like SOTM, I probably could manage it. Two weeks' time has been very tight for the Idle comp for me, and I haven't even been 'running' that one.

Two is the ABCs. No one has come out and said it yet, but I don't see the ABCs being able to run concurrently with this contest - the ideas are identical, the only difference at this point is how the entrants choose their songs. I've no idea what Stu's plans are for that comp so I've sent him a PM. I know that I've already used up at least 8 letters (and I'm not the only one), so at best I'd be entering 2/3 of the ABC5 comp should it run as it does now.

Making ineligible entries that have made the podium in past major contests (SOTM, ABC, Artistry, Decathlon) sounds good, though I don't remember off hand what of mine took silver or bronze in the ABCs (Dave's stats, once complete, would eliminate this problem). There's also those like Stu would have close to half their catalog ineligible for this contest, though if everyone has the same limitation it's still fair.

Anyone like the idea of secret entries and/or secret voting?

Ant

Written By: DoRitos on 08/18/08 at 6:53 pm

Yeah, I'm for at least a 60 day wait on parodies being in this contest. Reason being that eliminates any chance of an entrant being in SOTM and this competition at the same time. A parody written on July 1st, 2008, entered into July SOTM can be voted on up to August 31st - a full two month span. Having such a parody in SOTM (which is for the newest songs) and this one (which is for older songs) at the same time doesn't seem right.

I've got a few concerns though...

One is a somewhat permanent contest host. Going by winners is a good idea, but in practice I don't think it'll work out too well. I know I'm out of town too much to commit to running it full time, though if it were a monthly contest, like SOTM, I probably could manage it. Two weeks' time has been very tight for the Idle comp for me, and I haven't even been 'running' that one.

Two is the ABC's. No one has come out and said it yet, but I don't see the ABC's being able to run concurrently with this contest - the ideas are identical, the only difference at this point is how the entrants choose their songs. I've no idea what Stu's plans are for that comp so I've sent him a PM. I know that I've already used up at least 8 letters (and I'm not the only one), so at best I'd be entering 2/3 of the ABC5 comp should it run as it does now.

Making ineligible entries that have made the podium in past major contests (SOTM, ABC, Artistry, Decathlon) sounds good, though I don't remember off hand what of mine took silver or bronze in the ABC's (Dave's stats, once complete, would eliminate this problem). There's also those like Stu would have close to half their catalog ineligible for this contest, though if everyone has the same limitation it's still fair.

Anyone like the idea of secret entries and/or secret voting?

Ant

Jack - I don't see the problem with ABC and this new one running concurrently.  They are like apples and oranges.  OK - I see your point about the two week turn around.  My bad since I write a lot of parodies I would have more than enough cannon fodder to participate in every round.  I wasn't thinking about other authors who are not as prolific as myself and a few others..   What if we ran it like ABC with the same turn around time but make the next ABC round start right in the middle of the new contest's cycle?  This way they would always be opposite each other. 

I'm also not understanding the problem with having the same parody in two different comps at the same time.  No lightbulbs switching on in my head and I hear no bells ringing.  Someone give me a clue what the problem is with that?  If it is a problem and/or the majority of folks don't want it, the solution is simple.  Add another rule to the new contest that says any parody that in part or in whole that runs concurrently with SOTM, ABC, etc is not eligible to compete at this time.  Since any parody can be entered as long as it has aged the minimum amount of time that parody that the person wants in two different comps can wait it out until the SOTM, ABC, etc round ends and then they could enter it into the new comp.  See - easy, huh?

Adding this, I have started a 7 day poll to see how many authors would be interested in this new comp.  It will run for one week ending Sunday morning.  So far there are 5 "Yes, I'll participate and 1 no, I won't participate.  The no answers are a moot point now that I think about it.  I would like to see at least 8 to 10 "yes" votes and that would indicate that the comp would be supported by the authors.  So if I get 20 "no" votes and 12 "Yes" votes I will call that "a nod" from the group since there are enough to start running it.  So please if you have not registered in the poll please do so by next Sunday morning no later than 10ish as per the clock that runs on the board.  Don't know what that translates to where you live but where I live it ends at 11:42:41AM on Sunday.  I have sent an Email to ChuckyG to sticky that poll until it completes on Sunday.  I'm sure any admin on the board could sticky it so if anyone could, please do so.  Much appreciate.

Next - Secret entry and secret ballot?  It was done once by Claude Prez for a halloween comp.  Everyone posted a parody on amiright to the OS "Who Can It Be Now?" by Men At Work, is it?  Everyone who entered wrote to the same OS but used a fake name as the author.  Parodies were listed for voting.  When the comp ended everyone "unmasked" declaring which one was their own.  Then anyone that wanted to could resubmit the parody under their real name.

That comp thread should be somewhere in the archives - not sure of the year - perhaps 2004 but for sure it was the month of October.  That's all I have for now.  Chew on it and post your thoughts on this thread.  Thanks!

Written By: DoRitos on 08/19/08 at 7:14 pm

What?  Is this thing dying on the vine?  There has been no input to this thread in over 24 hours.  The poll still has 5 "Yes" and 1 "No".  I'd like to see 2 or 3 more people interested.  And there is debate on the rules that needs to be resolved.  I will take silence to mean agreement with what is out there that is proposed and come Sunday I will plan on starting a comp with whatever rules are now in place if no one contributes anything further.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/19/08 at 10:06 pm

Guy would you mind if I started a voting thread on the issues at hand?

What I'm thinking a voting thread for. . .

A) The Name of the contest
  1) Dusty Old Archive
  2) Classics
  3) SCAN

B) Length of Voting
  1) Monthly (like SOTM)
  2) Bi-Weekly (Alternate Weeks to ABC/Artistry) with overlapping entry/voting periods
  3) Bi-Weekly, but not overlapping entry/voting periods
  4) Every Three Weeks with overlapping entry/voting periods

C) Minimum age of song
  1) None
  2) 2 Weeks
  3) 30 Days
  4) 60 Days

D) Past Performance Requirements (It is assumed any song entered into this contest will not be allowed)
  1) SOTM Podium Parodies are not allowed
  2) SOTM and ABC Podium Parodies are not allowed
  3) SOTM, ABC and Artistry Podium Parodies are not allowed
  4) SOTM, ABC, Artistry, Decathlon 1-2, and Ages Podium Parodies are not allowed
  5) All Parodies are eligible

E) Tie Breaking Procedure
  1) SOTM Tie Breaking Procedure (broken by highest votes (1st-2nd-3rd-4th) left tied at that point)
  2) No Tie Breaking Procedure (If tied, both people receive higher rank, one rank skipped - - IE 1st, 1st, 3rd- - like other comps)

F) Host
    1) One host
    2) Revolving Hosts (IE Winner of each round, or highest ranked person for those who don't want the duty)

Any other issues I should include, or additional choices that should be made before poll is posted?

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/20/08 at 9:47 am

What?  Is this thing dying on the vine?  There has been no input to this thread in over 24 hours.  

Kwitcherbitchin.  ::)  :) There's only a core group of die-hard contest participants who would be even remotely interested in joining something else, and most of them are here.

Written By: jreuben on 08/20/08 at 10:06 am

A) 1
B) 4
C) 4
D) 4
E) 2 (but don't really care)
F) 2 (but don't really care)

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/20/08 at 10:49 am

1) Dusty Old Archive
   2) Classics
   3) SCAN

B) Length of Voting
   1) Monthly (like SOTM)
   2) Bi-Weekly (Alternate Weeks to ABC/Artistry) with overlapping entry/voting periods

C) Minimum age of song
   1) None
   2) 2 Weeks
   3) 30 Days
   4) 60 Days

D) Past Performance Requirements (It is assumed any song entered into this contest will not be allowed)

1) SOTM Tie Breaking Procedure (broken by highest votes (1st-2nd-3rd-4th) left tied at that point)   2) No Tie Breaking Procedure (If tied, both people receive higher rank, one rank skipped - - IE 1st, 1st, 3rd- - like other comps)

F) Host
    1) One host
    2) Revolving Hosts (IE Winner of each round, or highest ranked person for those who don't want the duty)

Written By: Matthias on 08/20/08 at 11:40 am

1) Dusty Old Archive
  2) Classics
  3) SCAN

B) Length of Voting
  1) Monthly (like SOTM)

C) Minimum age of song
  1) None
  2) 2 Weeks
  3) 30 Days
  4) 60 Days

1) SOTM Tie Breaking Procedure (broken by highest votes (1st-2nd-3rd-4th) left tied at that point)
  2) No Tie Breaking Procedure (If tied, both people receive higher rank, one rank skipped - - IE 1st, 1st, 3rd- - like other comps)

F) Host
    1) One host

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/20/08 at 1:51 pm

A) 2- Classic

B) 3-Bi Weekly but not overlapping

C) 4-60 Days

D) 3-SOTM, ABC and Artistry Podium Parodies are not allowed

E) 1-SOTM Tie Breaking Procedure

F) 1-One Host

This is a great way to build a contest, voting on each thing. . .It will be a true community competition.

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/20/08 at 3:17 pm

Let me clarify that I don't really care who hosts any comp, as long as they are capable.

Written By: DoRitos on 08/20/08 at 5:15 pm

Guy would you mind if I started a voting thread on the issues at hand?

What I'm thinking a voting thread for. . .

1) Dusty Old Archive
   2) Classics
   3) SCAN

B) Length of Voting
   1) Monthly (like SOTM)

C) Minimum age of song
   1) None
   2) 2 Weeks
   3) 30 Days
   4) 60 Days

F) Host
    1) One host

Any other issues I should include, or additional choices that should be made before poll is posted?

BAD - I like it - please go for posting the questions.  I will volunteer to run this comp with one stipulation.  I'd like an alternate who could change off with me like from comp to comp or when one of us gets tied up the other could host the comp.  I may be premature with this thought and I'll bite my tongue on it until the voting on the issues completes.  Also, I may have chosen a bad time to attempt to get another comp going.  Summer (in the northern hemisphere)  is always slower on the site.  I'm thinking that we could have all the planning business concluded by say mid September.  At that time we could start the comps perhaps?  And thank you so much for compiling the lists of questions that must be answered before this or any comp can be put into operation.  One question - Does "Podium" mean a win place or show in a comp?  If not please explain this term to me.  That 2 1/2 year gap of not being on the site daily has left me clueless on a few things so I have to ask what appear to be dumb questions.   ;)

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/20/08 at 6:36 pm

Podium refers to the top 3 spots in a given competition, so 'place' would be another good way to look at it.  I choose that instead of medal because of things like "Fuca" being a technical Medal that shouldn't be a factor in qualification, and because Artistry has it's own set of awards too. . .so I figured it's important to define that only an actual podium song is disqualified, not other award winners ;)

Oh and I agree Mid-September is a good start date. . .

Matthias would be a good alternating host, I know he hasn't hosted a big contest in a little while, but if he or no one else is up for it, I'd be willing to share duties, AmIRight Idol will be almost done by then and hopefully the database will be too,reducing my work load. . .

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 08/20/08 at 11:36 pm

Sorry that I haven't been around to contribute to this discussion everyone

I understand everyone's points about the ABC's.  It's a comp that by definition of its rules can't continue forever anyway, because for instance an ABC9 would have very few parodists eligible with 9 worthy L-parodies, etc, and if they did, the quality of the entries would be really starting to deteriorate.

From my point of view, I have pretty well run out of parodies, and have definitely felt embarrassed about entering the likes of "You and Me Betty..." and "SheDevil's Showdown With Jennifer" and other previous SOTM medallists, but I was just plain out of options and I still wanted to enter.

As such, I would be struggling to enter any ABC5 rounds at all, and so I would have been retiring as host anyway - so given those 2 aspects, I don't really have any right to argue (on my own) that ABC5 should continue under the hosting of someone else.

I am a little sad to see it go though - I took the ABC's VERY seriously (maybe because it took me something like 20 rounds before I won one) and I liked the opportunity it gave people to present older works, and I liked the idea of having to wait for a round to show off a particular parody - and I also liked the fact that you could write a parody with a future ABC comp in mind, that might be 6 months away (especially if you're one of the less prolific parodists like myself who sometimes needed 6 months to start and complete a parody)

soooo... the upshot is that I'm fully behind the "dusty old archives" comp, or whatever takes the place of the ABC's, especially as this new comp seems as though it will serve all or most of the above purposes the ABCs served anyway.

...but I must say I did like the idea of the "Phone-dial" comp (was that your idea Guy?) - that was a very cool idea - maybe someone could do a spin ( :-[)  on that idea as well

stu

Written By: DoRitos on 08/21/08 at 2:46 am

Kwitcherbitchin.  ::)  :) There's only a core group of die-hard contest participants who would be even remotely interested in joining something else, and most of them are here.

Yikes!!!  :o  My bad!  I really didn't mean that.  I'm just an excitable boy.   ;D  And I really wouldn't a dun it anyhow, honest.  ::) 

And yes Stu - the phone dial idea is mine.  Thanks!

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/21/08 at 7:54 am

Stu brings up a good point about the viability of the ABCs continuing. As I mentioned above, there just seems to be a core group of individuals, about 5 or 6, who have been continually entering rounds, and this is most indicative in the latter half of the run. Doesn't seem like more have the interest to really carry it on.

This go-round was the first time I really made an effort to enter every single letter. Further attempts to force an 'x' or 'z' out of me may be too much of a strain on the creative juices.  ;D As we go into the symbols/#s round one more time and have the prospect of the DOAC around the corner, I would agree that this would be an opportune time to retire our well-storied ABC competition, raise a few beers in its honor and give it a sincere burial while it's still good.

Any other thoughts?

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/21/08 at 3:02 pm

Stu brings up a good point about the viability of the ABCs continuing. As I mentioned above, there just seems to be a core group of individuals, about 5 or 6, who have been continually entering rounds, and this is most indicative in the latter half of the run. Doesn't seem like more have the interest to really carry it on.

This go-round was the first time I really made an effort to enter every single letter. Further attempts to force an 'x' or 'z' out of me may be too much of a strain on the creative juices.  ;D As we go into the symbols/#s round one more time and have the prospect of the DOAC around the corner, I would agree that this would be an opportune time to retire our well-storied ABC competition, raise a few beers in its honor and give it a sincere burial while it's still good.

Any other thoughts?

I agree, The ABC will still have it's place in my database remembering all it's good years, and who know a few years down the line maybe enough new parodists will be around and us established ones will have new entries, and we can consider bringing it back, but for the immediate future, it looks as though the long running 5 season ABC has reached an end to it's very long road. . .

Written By: DoRitos on 08/21/08 at 6:46 pm

I agree, The ABC will still have it's place in my database remembering all it's good years, and who know a few years down the line maybe enough new parodists will be around and us established ones will have new entries, and we can consider bringing it back, but for the immediate future, it looks as though the long running 5 season ABC has reached an end to it's very long road. . .

BAD - I agree with everything you say here and I second that motion.  Funny thing - as I was reading your post I had the same thought about letting it lie dormant for a few years and then resurrect it again.  And then I read the rest of your "story". So I was thinking exactly as you were.  And Stu's input was spot on about getting burned out on ABC.  Does anyone wish for me to start a poll on thumbs up or thumbs down for ABC and say run it for a week and then we all abide by the results of the poll?  Or should we just put it up for a vote on this thread?

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/21/08 at 9:11 pm

BAD - I agree with everything you say here and I second that motion.  Funny thing - as I was reading your post I had the same thought about letting it lie dormant for a few years and then resurrect it again.  And then I read the rest of your "story". So I was thinking exactly as you were.  And Stu's input was spot on about getting burned out on ABC.  Does anyone wish for me to start a poll on thumbs up or thumbs down for ABC and say run it for a week and then we all abide by the results of the poll?  Or should we just put it up for a vote on this thread?

For those who may not be following this closely, I'd say poll it as it's own thread, and if it is voted to be kept alive, then we'll need someone to step up for Stu as he's done for all of us so long.

Written By: DoRitos on 08/22/08 at 2:05 am

For those who may not be following this closely, I'd say poll it as it's own thread, and if it is voted to be kept alive, then we'll need someone to step up for Stu as he's done for all of us so long.

I second the motion on the poll.  Lets please have another yay or two and I will start a poll.

Edit: - I gave this some thought since I posted.  What harm can it do to post a poll now?  If the rest of the interested parties vote down the poll then it won't need to count for anything.  This way we can get an early jump on the poll.  I was half asleep when I posted the first part of this reply and my brain was not running on all of its cylinders..

Written By: DoRitos on 08/24/08 at 11:49 am

The "New Parody Competition" poll has concluded with 5 Yays (83.3%) and one lone Nay (16.7%).  Is this enough interest to consider moving on with this contest idea?

Written By: Red Ant on 08/24/08 at 4:37 pm

What if we ran it like ABC with the same turn around time but make the next ABC round start right in the middle of the new contest's cycle?  This way they would always be opposite each other. 

That would work.  :)

I'm also not understanding the problem with having the same parody in two different comps at the same time. . . Someone give me a clue what the problem is with that? 

Well, putting aside for a moment my own belief that having a parody in two or more contests simultaneously usually works against the author, SOTM and ABC winners are ineligible for this contest... meaning that if a parody is in this comp and one of those two, and places 1st, 2nd or 3rd in one of those two, it's no longer an eligble entry in this contest IMHO, which would get messy if voting has already started in this contest.

A 30 day old parody isn't dusty or a classic, which is another reason I suggested 60 days.

Next - Secret entry and secret ballot?  It was done once by Claude Prez for a halloween comp.  Everyone posted a parody on amiright to the OS "Who Can It Be Now?" by Men At Work, is it?  Everyone who entered wrote to the same OS but used a fake name as the author.  Parodies were listed for voting.  When the comp ended everyone "unmasked" declaring which one was their own.  Then anyone that wanted to could resubmit the parody under their real name.

I remember the Halloween 04 round - great idea and concept. I was thinking about something different here though. By "secret entry", one would publically indicate (on the entry thread) that they are going to be in the contest, but the actual parody being entered would be sent to the organizer of the contest via PM or something. Votes could be done the same way. Just a thought...

This has been suggested before but is probably too much work for the entrants and whoever heads up the contest.

Ant

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/24/08 at 4:39 pm

Well, putting aside for a moment my own belief that having a parody in two or more contests simultaneously usually works against the author, SOTM and ABC winners are ineligible for this contest... meaning that if a parody is in this comp and one of those two, and places 1st, 2nd or 3rd in one of those two, it's no longer an eligble entry in this contest IMHO, which would get messy if voting has already started in this contest.

A 30 day old parody isn't dusty or a classic, which is another reason I suggested 60 days.

I remember the Halloween 04 round - great idea and concept. I was thinking about something different here though. By "secret entry", one would publically indicate (on the entry thread) that they are going to be in the contest, but the actual parody being entered would be sent to the organizer of the contest via PM or something. Votes could be done the same way. Just a thought...

This has been suggested before but is probably too much work for the entrants and whoever heads up the contest.

Ant

Ant cast a vote, I posted it earlier in the thread, right now if memory serves me right, on that question--60 days is winning.

Written By: DoRitos on 08/25/08 at 5:03 am

Ant

5 Yays in the poll will carry then so I'll second that.  However I am not in favor of the 60 day rule.  I'll compromise - let's say 45 days.  The poll to keep ABC alive seems to be carrying with an over 70% of votes cast in favor of keeping it.

Written By: Max Power on 08/26/08 at 7:38 pm

I'm for it.

Written By: DoRitos on 08/29/08 at 8:22 am

Post from the poll to keep ABC going

After reading Dave's post, I like the idea of bracketing the letters in twos - very simple
(and I would be able to find parodies myself to enter with that large a net to cast ::))

so I would be prepared to host ABC5 under the following arrangement...

***  13 rounds, letters bracketed in twos (with symbols being added to the YZ round)
***  best 7 scores wins (so even if you miss the first half, you can still come from behind and win)
***  3 weeks between comps (2 weeks was killing me!)

I don't want to put it to a vote, because I might end up back where we started

Is everyone okay with that?

I'm happy for it to not be run that way, as long as somebody else hosts it! ;)

I moved this quote from the keep ABC poll.  All matters related to the DOAC should be on one thread.

Written By: DoRitos on 08/29/08 at 8:40 am

This post was copied from the ABC poll thread so that all input could be on one thread as to avoid confusion and keep any holes filled in during this debate process.

Posted on: August 27, 2008, 03:52:53 PMPosted by: Below Average Dave 
Insert Quote
It appears, with a 7-2 vote thus far--There is actually a lot of interest in both the new COMP and the ABC. . .Stu has said he wishes to retire at the end of this cycle as host, though I hope that does not mean he's leaving contests all together. . .

There are questions that must be answered to keep ABC running. . .

Who wants to step up and take over ABC.  If I am hosting Artistry/SOTM/POTQ and helping Guy with DOA until someone takes it over, we really need a new host to step up for Stu, maybe he has someone in mind--I don't know.

More pressing to me is the rounds

I think that for the next cycle, the following should be done, looking for conversation. . .

A) Turn ABC into an annual competition that combines letters into 13 rounds.
    A/B, C/D, E/F, G/H, I/J, K/L, M/N, O/P, Q/R, S/T, U/V, W/X, Y/Z

Count all 13 Rounds towards Author of the Tournament since the reason it was being counted that way initially was it was unreasonable
       to expect anyone to have an entry into all 26 letters and the numbers round.

I think the Numbers/Symbol round should be eliminated.  We ignore "A" and "The" right now in a title for alphabetization, I don't see why
       we can't do the same with symbols (Though in honesty I've never seen an entry into that round that wasn't a number anyway)  If a
       song was named after a symbol, symbols have spellings anyway (IE $=Dollar Sign, thus it could be a "D" round entry just as the word 
       "The" as a parody title would qualify for the T round)

Numbers have spellings too.  0=Zero, thus it's a "Z" round entry, 4 is "F", 22 is "T", 100 is "O", there is no need to have that round when
       we can have those parodies qualify for any given round that spells it

**For the record this is all my opinion, feel free to comment, I realize they are alphabetized differently but I really feel strongly that they
      should not have their own round, it would help some of the tough letters out too. . .as you see above "F", "O" and "Z" are all weak

Because the comp would be shortened to 13 rounds, I think we could have the parody of the tournament expanded to be the top 2 songs
      from each round as often (as we've seen in SOTY) a parody that placed 2nd (or even 3rd) can beat the song that placed ahead of it
      with the additional voters who may not have been around that month.

B) Combine tough letters only, leave strong ones by themselves
     A, B, C, D, each get their own round
     E and F get combined as neither letter are all the strong
     G and H get combined for the same reason
     I gets it's own round
     J and K get combined as neither are terribly strong
     L, M, N each get their own round
     O and P get combined, P is probably strong enough, but it's not terribly strong--and O being a weak one could help out P
     Q and R get combined, similar to above, R can stand on it's own, but it's not the strongest letter, and Q is a weak letter
     S and T each get their own round
     U, V, and W get combined as one round. . .W is the strongest late letter in the alphabet and could carry U and V--both of which struggle
     X, Y and Z get combined as one round. . .Y is strong enough because of "You" variations, X and Z don't hurt it.

I may be the only one who thinks this way, I don't know. . .I know Red Ant liked the idea of combining certain letters too, it may be tougher on whoever hosts it to do option "B" but ultimately combining letters is the only way we can keep ABC strong.

If people are absolutely against ending the #s/Symbols round, it can be added to the Y/Z round in option A or the X/Y/Z round in option B--though as I stated above--it's really not a necessary round, and I do think not having it could actually help the other letters (IE the first two entries into set 4 are "404" parodies, that'd help "F", one of the weaker letters as noted above)
Posted on: August 22, 2008, 05:11:22 AMPosted by: DoRitos 
Insert Quote
After 4 rounds, many of the regular ABC competitors are running out of entries especially for difficult letters like "Q", "X" and "Z".  Round 4 is nearing completion of its cycle. A concensus is to replace it with what may be called the DOAC.  Dusty Old Archives Comp.  See thread on this page.  Options are:  Option 1 - keep it going.  Option 2 - retire it and after a few years when new blood comes to the site and the regulars have had time to replenish parodies with all letters of the alphabet decide to resurrect it.  OR NOT.  Poll will run for one week starting on 22 Aug 08. 

Edit:  This portion was replied to BAD from Doritos on the ABC poll and copied here:

Yes indeed my poll is over and it overwhelmingly stated that ABC should continue.  I made a motion over a week ago that we use the telephone dial which would create a lot less rounds so maybe, you BAD, have the better idea for this.  I'm still in favor of having 2 separate rounds for numbers and symbols.  Heck, we are at that number/symbol part of the comp. now with ABC and it would allow plenty of time for anyone to get something into round 5 for these. Seems like all we now need is a general concensus on the rules of the game and the structure changes proposed.  I'm going to copy and paste this to the DOAC thread as all posting on this should be on one thread not two.

Written By: DoRitos on 09/07/08 at 6:10 am

This thread has seen no input or activity since Aug 29, 2008 and the last input to it was posted my me.  Given that, and the fact that the conclusion of the ABC round has been voted down overwhelmingly in a poll, may I assume that there is no further interest in starting this comp?  If so then lets drop the whole idea.  Any seconds?

Check for new replies or respond here...