inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Artistry Round 34 (The Beatles) Entry Deadline 09/04/2008

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/21/08 at 10:37 pm

Well, eventually this round HAD to come up, The biggest band on AmIRight , the Beatles have been drawn. . .

Yesterday

Hey Jude

And I Love Her

Help!

Helter Skelter

Michelle

Hello, Good Bye

Let it Be

I Am the Walrus

Revolution

All You Need Is Love

Come Together

Dear Prudence

In My Life

Lady Madonna

A Day in the Life

Nowhere Man

Rain

Money

Elanor Rigby

Ticket to Ride

Yellow Submarine

I Saw Her Standing There

Blackbird

Tomorrow Never Knows

The Long and Winding Road

Can't Buy Me Love

Something

Penny Lane

All My Loving

Good Night

Two of Us

Don't Let Me Down

Baby It's You

I Will

Hey Bulldog

Good Day Sunshine

Get Back

Tax Man

A Hard Day's Night

I've Got a Feeling

I Should Have Known Better

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Free As A Bird

Your Mother Should Know

I Want to Hold Your Hand

I know I probably left out 100 or so other huge hits, The Beatles have a lot of them, obviously, all songs are open just like in other contests. . .also solo work by any primary member of the group IS acceptable. . .good luck everyone, I suspect this will be a competitive round.

Subject: Re: Artistry Round 34 (The Beatles) Entry Deadline 09/04/2008

Written By: Matthias on 08/21/08 at 11:52 pm

Everybody and their mother is going to enter this round, talk about some tough competition. Whoever wins this round deserves to be like friggen Artistry King or something.

Written By: jreuben on 08/22/08 at 1:45 am

Bringing back an old favorite!

A Bar Maid Fight!

Written By: ThaConqueror on 08/22/08 at 2:38 am

This is gonna get crazy!

Once I've finished my two Epic 40 entries, I'll whip up a Beatles one - they're so damn easy!

EDIT: Oh, and it's 'Eleanor Rigby' Not 'Elanor Rigby'. I should, I parodied the damn thing (and got straight 5's for it...might enter that as a placeholder if I run outta time).

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/22/08 at 8:14 am

Bring it on!
http://www.diabetes.org/ueimages/Food-Pyramid.jpg
http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/thebeatles1732.shtml
Food: A Hymn

Written By: Rex on 08/22/08 at 9:51 am

The Beatles? Who are they?

In case I don't get something new done, I'll go with this one: http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/thebeatles1711.shtml

Written By: Wolverine on 08/22/08 at 12:27 pm

Well, since I used "I Don't Want to Spoil the Riot" for AmIRight Idol, I'll submit

Everybody's Got Someplace to Live Except My Evil Monkey

Written By: DoRitos on 08/22/08 at 8:22 pm

I've quickly checked the archives for the rules to this contest.  What I read is that it is open to anyone and that the author that enters the comp must use an OS by the featured artist.  Is this a continuing comp where you must enter every round or can I enter this round even though I have never entered this comp before?  I found the date that it was conceived and that was during my 2 1/2 year hiatus from the site so I lack the corporate knowledge behind this comp.  If I am eligible to enter Beatles songs for this round can I enter more than one?  Does the comp. follow the same rules of SOTM and ABC, where you must comment and vote by the deadline or be DQed?  I'd like to enter this round if I am eligible.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/22/08 at 9:23 pm

I've quickly checked the archives for the rules to this contest.  What I read is that it is open to anyone and that the author that enters the comp must use an OS by the featured artist.  Is this a continuing comp where you must enter every round or can I enter this round even though I have never entered this comp before?  I found the date that it was conceived and that was during my 2 1/2 year hiatus from the site so I lack the corporate knowledge behind this comp.  If I am eligible to enter Beatles songs for this round can I enter more than one?  Does the comp. follow the same rules of SOTM and ABC, where you must comment and vote by the deadline or be DQed?  I'd like to enter this round if I am eligible.

Each Artistry Round is open to anyone and everyone, no one who enters any given round is required to enter or have been entered any round before or after it, so you are definitely eligible.

For the most part, yes the rules are the same as ABC and SOTM, in the voting for your top 5 and commenting, just a few differences  . . .

The Artistry does not disqualify you from the next round if you fail to vote, you simply forfeit your points in the current round, and if that is less than 20 points then you forfeit the difference in the next round if you have entered--this is because each Artist will only appear once in Artistry so we don't want anyone to have to sit an artist out when they'll never have a shot to be part of that Artist's round again.

One major and noticeable difference is no Artistry entrant who votes and comments by the set deadline of a round receives 0 points, in fact no one who votes does either (if you vote in a round that you are not part of, your all time standings on the Artistry charts will get 3 points just for voting).  All entrants to any Artistry round receive 5 points by voting.  It does not affect the standings of a given round because everyone gets the same 5 points, but I feel those who make an effort to enter a round deserve to be rewarded for voting and participating.

It is still one entry per entrant, and I hope you find that you like it, it's basically the same as other comps--but with no DQ's and the guaranteed 5 points plus those you earn from votes, because I feel no one who enters a contest should end with zero points if they took the time to vote and comment on everyone else's entries.

Oh and one more note

Welcome to Artistry!

Written By: DoRitos on 08/22/08 at 9:48 pm

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3119/2351253950_ac995d1e4b.jpg?v=0

Above - Sister Mary Elephant (AKA Jabba The Nun) - Prime suspect in the parody "Nuns'll Getcha"

Parody:  http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/thebeatles2224.shtml

Youtube:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vAqekT-GuA

Written By: DoRitos on 08/22/08 at 9:50 pm

Each Artistry Round is open to anyone and everyone, no one who enters any given round is required to enter or have been entered any round before or after it, so you are definitely eligible.

For the most part, yes the rules are the same as ABC and SOTM, in the voting for your top 5 and commenting, just a few differences  . . .

The Artistry does not disqualify you from the next round if you fail to vote, you simply forfeit your points in the current round, and if that is less than 20 points then you forfeit the difference in the next round if you have entered--this is because each Artist will only appear once in Artistry so we don't want anyone to have to sit an artist out when they'll never have a shot to be part of that Artist's round again.

One major and noticeable difference is no Artistry entrant who votes and comments by the set deadline of a round receives 0 points, in fact no one who votes does either (if you vote in a round that you are not part of, your all time standings on the Artistry charts will get 3 points just for voting).  All entrants to any Artistry round receive 5 points by voting.  It does not affect the standings of a given round because everyone gets the same 5 points, but I feel those who make an effort to enter a round deserve to be rewarded for voting and participating.

It is still one entry per entrant, and I hope you find that you like it, it's basically the same as other comps--but with no DQ's and the guaranteed 5 points plus those you earn from votes, because I feel no one who enters a contest should end with zero points if they took the time to vote and comment on everyone else's entries.

Oh and one more note

Welcome to Artistry!

Thanks BAD - My entry is now posted.

Written By: Matthias on 08/24/08 at 4:30 pm

It wasn't allowed for the Amiright Idol round, but for the Artistry round can I do a parody of "Stars on 45"?

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/24/08 at 4:35 pm

It wasn't allowed for the Amiright Idol round, but for the Artistry round can I do a parody of "Stars on 45"?

Yes Idol was specific, all Artistry rounds are always inclusive of solo work. . .so yes that'd be fine for this round.

Written By: Matthias on 08/24/08 at 6:01 pm

Nahhhhh.... I don't feel like writing a new one, especially since Spaff said that this old one was one of my best.

http://www.sadwargamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/barfight1.png

"Bar Fight At The Redneck Saloon"

http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/thebeatles1624.shtml

Written By: ThaConqueror on 08/25/08 at 1:55 am

Alrighty then, my entry is submitted. However, it revolves around a student busting to leak during a fire drill. If it gets bad reception (trolls and the 1's-guy* don't count) then I might write a parody of 'Got My Mind Set On You' Tentative topic is a guy who's getting stalked by a girl.

*Did I spell that right? Apostrophese always confuse the crap outta me.

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/25/08 at 12:45 pm

Yes Idol was specific, all Artistry rounds are always inclusive of solo work. . .so yes that'd be fine for this round.

It should be noted that Stars On 45 are not performed by any of The Beatles...don't know if that's a problem.

Written By: Red Ant on 08/25/08 at 2:28 pm

http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/thebeatles1351.shtml

"A Day In This Editor's Life"

Ant

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/25/08 at 3:18 pm

It should be noted that Stars On 45 are not performed by any of The Beatles...don't know if that's a problem.

It's not?  I don't know enough of the Beatles work--Matty-you didn't enter a parody of this song anyway, but out of curiosity what was the Beatles connection on this one?

Written By: Matthias on 08/25/08 at 4:33 pm

It's not?  I don't know enough of the Beatles work--Matty-you didn't enter a parody of this song anyway, but out of curiosity what was the Beatles connection on this one?

Stars on 45 is a disco medley of Beatles songs

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/25/08 at 5:09 pm

Stars on 45 is a disco medley of Beatles songs

oh-than thats fine if someone were to use it

Written By: ThaConqueror on 08/25/08 at 8:03 pm

Okay guys, here's my recent parody. However, this is only a tentative entry - I'm waiting for some actual feedback instead of a 111 and a 422. Preferably feedback from you guys, but whatever works, right?

http://www.stocktoons.com/images/clipart/thumbnail/1300_brown_dog_mascot_cartoon_character_trying_to_hold_it_in_but_has_to_go_pee.jpg

Urinate

If I do not enter anything else before the deadline ends, consider this my entry.

Written By: Max Power on 08/26/08 at 7:34 pm

http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/thebeatles1878.shtml

Just don't buy that hammock, trust me.

Written By: Syncronos on 08/27/08 at 2:56 pm

back from hiatus again...I'll go with a tried and true favorite of mine:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/1/15397_6ada900873.jpg?v=0

Hey Marge!

I resubmitted it so that the comments section would be enabled. Should be up tomorrow!

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/27/08 at 3:25 pm

http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/thebeatles2229.shtml
How Crude

Written By: Invisible Boy on 09/04/08 at 8:17 pm

Hey Dave...I'm submitting a Beatles parody tonight. Can I sneak it into the comp if no one votes once you post the voting thread ?

8)

Written By: Below Average Dave on 09/04/08 at 9:18 pm

Hey Dave...I'm submitting a Beatles parody tonight. Can I sneak it into the comp if no one votes once you post the voting thread ?

8)

absolutely!

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/05/08 at 7:37 am

the 1's-guy*  ) 

*Did I spell that right? Apostrophese always confuse the crap outta me.

An apostrophe indicates ownership or a contraction of "is", so it shouldn't be used here. (Exception: its--as in "The dog licked its fur.")

Written By: Below Average Dave on 09/05/08 at 7:46 am

Will be posted tonight after work

Written By: Matthias on 09/05/08 at 9:56 am

Will be posted tonight after work

Posting late, I see Davey.

(I don't want to hear you complain about me posting early again!)  >:(

Written By: Invisible Boy on 09/05/08 at 10:01 am

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/46/93/22249346.jpg

Yesterday

http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/thebeatles2233.shtml

8)

Written By: Below Average Dave on 09/05/08 at 5:48 pm

Posting late, I see Davey.

(I don't want to hear you complain about me posting early again!)  >:(

Late--especially under the circumstances which I will spare the bored--on posting a thread is not the same, and giving you a hard time is different then complaining  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...