inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: AmIRight Idol Round 5 RESULTS POSTED

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/26/08 at 12:18 am

Alright Wolverine, Melanie Lee, Matthias, Gianni and Ethan

Welcome to the top 5. . .and we've got a bit of a doozie this round.

Up to now, the songs have been fairly light on the difficulty end, and with the exception of The Beatles round--not to limited in song choice.

We are stepping it up a notch though. . .one of the least parodied genres on AmIRight is "Disco".  Why?  Because Disco tends to be repetitious, under developed and it's just not easy to come up with a killer parody to most pure disco songs.  While we won't be horribly technical on Disco definition, Modern pop and rock won't cut it.  Britney Spears/Christina Aguilera/Boy Bands are all kinda dancey, but newer songs in the Dance genre have to follow the disco build to qualify as a "Disco" Song. . .so who is disco

Some common examples are

The Village People
Donna Summers
Gloria Gaynor
Vicki Sue Robinson
K-Ci & the Sunshine Band
(some) Jackson 5
(some) older Michael Jackson
Bee Gees
(most) Barry White
Hue Corporation
Blackbyrds
Labelle
Chic
Van McCoy
(some) Barry Manilow
Charo
(some) Marvin Gaye
Rod Stewart
Electric Light Orchestra

As stated some modern bands have also made disco sounding songs, those are acceptable.

Perhaps most notably are. . .
Jamiroquai (Be careful, his first albums are not disco-they were Jazz-he changed to disco later in the early/mid 2000s)
Paula Abdul generally qualifies as disco
Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Duran Duran has a lot of disco songs
Madonna has he share as well
S Club 7
Most Janet Jackson (though not all)

Please know that using logic can determine whether or not a song is disco--if you are truly unsure, just ask, we don't bite. . .I know it's a tough round--but I think you guys can prove the genre to be ripe for parody fodder. . .5 rounds left

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Disco_songs

Subject: Re: AmIRight Idol Round 5 Entry Thread (Deadline 09/09/08)

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/26/08 at 7:44 am

(Most) Barry Manilow

I'm pretty sure most folks won't pursue it, but "Copacabana" and his cover of "Let's Hang On" would be probably the ONLY acceptable entries.  (I know too much about his work. :))

Written By: EthanM on 08/26/08 at 11:23 am

Also, wouldn't later marvin gaye be disco, not his early stuff in the 60s? And how much rod stewart is Disco? I'm pretty sure that maggie may, young turks, forever young, and have i told you lately are  not.

"grease" is disco, right?

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/26/08 at 11:42 am

"grease" is disco, right?

"Grease" the song, but not the movie, yeah.  ;D

Written By: EthanM on 08/26/08 at 11:46 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Disco_songs

This seems like it would be helpful

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/26/08 at 12:13 pm

Electric Light Orchestra

"All Over The World' , "Evil Woman", and (with Olivia Newton John) "Xanadu".

Written By: Melanie Lee on 08/26/08 at 3:17 pm

Is Milli Vanilli disco?  ???

Written By: Red Ant on 08/26/08 at 3:33 pm

Is Milli Vanilli disco?   ???

Milli Vanilli is disc...redited.

The few hits that were sorta-theirs that I remember aren't disco.

Ant

Written By: wildcard on 08/26/08 at 6:13 pm

Wish I didn't run out of juice last round,Oh well.  I can still do a disco some time.

Written By: Wolverine on 08/27/08 at 1:53 pm

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

I just want the judges to know my ears are bleeding, and I have an incredible urge to watch C.Hi.Ps.

:o

Written By: Melanie Lee on 08/28/08 at 1:11 pm

1) What about non-disco songs covered as disco, such as "Tangerine" or "Poinciana"?

2)  What about disco instrumentals or near-instrumentals like "The Hustle" or "Fly, Robin, Fly"?  Or disco classical adaptations like "A Fifth of Beethoven" or "Night on Disco Mountain"?

Written By: Matthias on 08/28/08 at 6:06 pm

1) What about non-disco songs covered as disco, such as "Tangerine" or "Poinciana"?

2)  What about disco instrumentals or near-instrumentals like "The Hustle" or "Fly, Robin, Fly"?  Or disco classical adaptations like "A Fifth of Beethoven" or "Night on Disco Mountain"?

How could you parody a disco insturmental? I would love to see "A Fifth Of Beethoven" parodied

What about "Stars on 45"?

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/28/08 at 7:16 pm

For the "insert number" time, remember Matthias, this contest's point is "Recordable" songs , even if we stretched the genre to include a medley of songs (which itself means it's not disco) how would I record it?  Nothing personal, but you know that I simply cannot record that. . .

Melanie, I don't think me, Agri or Red Ant would disagree on The Hustle or Fly Robin Fly, they are both of the sound we are referring to

I am afraid on "A Fifth of Beethoven" and "Night on Disco Mountain" that I've not heard of either, so I'd have to look them, but keep in mind instrumental based songs likely would be hard if not impossible to convey exactly what you were going for as a write, which makes recording them in your image at best unlikely, so qualified or not--I don't recommend those two

Covers as Disco definitely qualify under the genre. . .

Written By: EthanM on 08/28/08 at 7:18 pm

Bob Gomez did a "wipeout" parody a while back at got very positive feedback, but it was shameless pandering and not recordable at all.  I think the only way a lyrical rewrite of an instrumental could be a parody is if the words make fun of the music - otherwise the national anthem would be a parody and it is definitely not.  Stars of 45 was parodied by Ivor biggun, and it's on one of the Dr. Demento anniversary compilations. As for myself, I know that I have to step it up this round (as we all probably do to some extent) so I'm working on an potential entry now to an undisputed disco song with plenty of lyrics but I'm not rushing it.

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/29/08 at 12:22 pm

Melanie, I don't think me, Agri or Red Ant would disagree on The Hustle or Fly Robin Fly, they are both of the sound we are referring to

Rick Duncan did this http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/vanmccoy1.shtml Hustle parody, but I'm with Dylan Baranski as far as lyrics are concerned.

Written By: Matthias on 08/29/08 at 2:42 pm

Sweet! Like most of Madonna's collection is Disco! This makes this project a heck of a lot easier.

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/29/08 at 3:26 pm

How could you parody a disco insturmental? 

Or any instrumental, which is what I have always questioned on this site, even with the popularity of Stu McArthur's 'Dueling Mangos'.

Written By: Matthias on 08/29/08 at 4:16 pm

It's on that Wikipedia page as Disco songs by Madonna but would you guys consider "Me Against The Music" as Disco? Or are you guys looking for something else?

Written By: Matthias on 09/01/08 at 6:22 pm

"Lardo Enlargeo" is coming soon...

http://www.deviantyouth.com/images/demotivation/demo-lard_ass.jpg

Written By: EthanM on 09/01/08 at 7:07 pm

"Lardo Enlargeo" is coming soon...

http://www.deviantyouth.com/images/demotivation/demo-lard_ass.jpg

Disco inferno?

Written By: Matthias on 09/01/08 at 7:41 pm

Yup!

Written By: EthanM on 09/01/08 at 8:02 pm

"Eiffel Surprise" has been submitted and will probably be my entry

Written By: EthanM on 09/01/08 at 10:00 pm

Yup!

Your OS is about ten times more repetitive than mine, but still not as bad as some other disco songs

Written By: Matthias on 09/02/08 at 10:30 pm

Ouch! That song is tough! It's pretty much stick to the original rhyme scheme or die...

I guess it's back to the drawing board for me, because I like the idea I had for that song, but with the difficulty of that song and the importance of this contest, I'm not going to risk it doing something that I know that I'm probably going to fail at...

Sorry for being premature with my posting again guys....

Written By: EthanM on 09/02/08 at 10:46 pm

I don't see how I can not enter a parody that a hobbit asked me to record:

http://amiright.com/parody/70s/gloriagaynor40.shtml

Now I wait anxiously for the other entries and then for the judging

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/03/08 at 8:00 am

It's on that Wikipedia page as Disco songs by Madonna but would you guys consider "Me Against The Music" as Disco? Or are you guys looking for something else?

I would classify that as techno myself, but if wiki says so and Dave and Red are fine by it, it's fine by me. Although I would prefer you did something else in the '70s mode (Bee Gees, KC & the Sunshine Band, hell even "Miss You" by The Rolling Stones would do...)

(it's actually Britney Spears featuring Madonna, evidently.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRq-epPA_OM

Written By: Below Average Dave on 09/03/08 at 2:29 pm

I would classify that as techno myself, but if wiki says so and Dave and Red are fine by it, it's fine by me. Although I would prefer you did something else in the '70s mode (Bee Gees, KC & the Sunshine Band, hell even "Miss You" by The Rolling Stones would do...)

(it's actually Britney Spears featuring Madonna, evidently.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRq-epPA_OM

Um, same here--I won't argue Wiki, but that isn't what I'd consider disco Matthias. . .I mean, that's more Techno/Dance, Didn't you already ask me that Matthias?  There are plenty of unquestionably disco classics such as Agri mentioned that wouldn't require you asking us if a song qualifies. . .

Written By: EthanM on 09/03/08 at 3:59 pm

I think my entry's OS is about as unquestionably disco as a song can get without being in saturday night fever.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 09/03/08 at 5:28 pm

I think my entry's OS is about as unquestionably disco as a song can get without being in saturday night fever.

Without Question ;)

Written By: Wolverine on 09/04/08 at 5:54 pm

Ok, I've submitted...

http://www.filteringcraig.com/images/doogie.jpg

Doogie Loogie Noogie for tomorrow.

Oy, this round is going to be bad for me... 8-P

I'll be off to Ireland next week, I'll catch up with Idol and Artistry when I get back (hopefully there won't be an Idol deadline between the 9th and 17th)

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/05/08 at 8:39 am

Doogie Loogie Noogie for tomorrow.

I'm not reading the parody until all entries are in, but man, that is one funny title. ;D

Written By: Gianni Parmesiani on 09/05/08 at 3:02 pm

:) OK, gang.  I'm in.  I posted "Quarter to Five" today and as soon as the URL is posted I will post it here. (That seems like alot of posting).  I look forward to your comments, all.

GP

Written By: EthanM on 09/05/08 at 4:01 pm

Looks like we will finally have a round in which writing something doesn't guarantee moving on.  Hopefully the judges won't be too busy next week to judge quickly and keep the waiting period reasonably brief.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 09/05/08 at 6:09 pm

I just wrote a song that "sounds" disco... I sure hope you guys count it in.... Blondie's "Call Me"? (It's kinda dancey? I don't really know if it's New Wave or Disco though, but it's a lot closer than all the other songs that I've mentioned like "Me Against The Music")

Anyways... I'm much happier with this one so I'm going to do some editing on it tomorrow and post it on Sunday for it to be submitted on Monday.
It's about a subject very near and dear to my heart...

"Caffeine!"
http://blogmedia.thenewstribune.com/media/soda.jpg

Blondie
Blondie in 1976 From Left: Jimmy Destri, Debbie Harry, Chris Stein, Gary Valentine, Clem Burke
Blondie in 1976
From Left: Jimmy Destri, Debbie Harry, Chris Stein, Gary Valentine, Clem Burke
Background information
Origin New York City, New York, US
Genre(s) New wave
Pop rock
Punk rock

"Call Me" is a song by American New Wave band Blondie. Released February 1980, "Call Me" topped the singles charts in both the US and the UK; becoming the band's biggest-selling single in the US.

The song was the main theme of the film American Gigolo. European disco producer Giorgio Moroder originally asked Stevie Nicks to help compose and perform a song for the soundtrack, but she declined (a recently signed contract with Modern Records prevented her from working with Moroder). It was at this time that Moroder turned to Debbie Harry. Moroder presented Harry with a rough instrumental track called "Man Machine". Harry was asked to write the lyrics and melody, a process that Harry states took only a few hours. The completed song was then recorded by the band, with Moroder producing. The bridge of the original English language version also includes Harry singing "Call Me" in Italian ("Amore, chiamami") and French ("Mon cheri, appelle-moi").

In the US the song was released by three different record companies; on the soundtrack album by Polydor, the 7" and 12" on Blondie's label Chrysalis and a Spanish language 12" version on disco label Salsoul Records. The Spanish version, named "Llámame", was meant for release in Mexico and some South American countries. This version was also released in the US and the UK and had its CD debut on Chrysalis/EMI's rarities compilation Blonde and Beyond (1993). In 1988 a version remixed by Ben Liebrand taken from the Blondie remix album Once More into the Bleach was issued as a single in the UK.

May only be my opinion, but "Me Against the Music" is closer to disco than "Call Me", but I digress. . .

Written By: Matthias on 09/05/08 at 6:24 pm

Damn then.... I don't want to be like Jack or Anne and just drop out, but I'm really confused by this "Disco" genre.

I'll be sure to come up with something and "Call Me is use-able for the upcoming "Karaoke Revolutionized" round, but I really, really, really don't understand Disco at all!!!

Written By: Below Average Dave on 09/05/08 at 8:45 pm

Damn then.... I don't want to be like Jack or Anne and just drop out, but I'm really confused by this "Disco" genre.

I'll be sure to come up with something and "Call Me is use-able for the upcoming "Karaoke Revolutionized" round, but I really, really, really don't understand Disco at all!!!

Think "Super Freak", "Disco Inferno", "Hot Stuff", "I Will Survive", "Turn the Beat Around", "Little L", "Celebration". . .I mean play Call Me among those songs, and it just doesn't have the same groove--at all. . .Disco is really easy Matty, just think about those songs I've just mentioned, listen to them on YouTube--these songs you are proposing are really far stretched when you listen to them back to back, Call Me is part of the start to Punk Music,

Written By: EthanM on 09/05/08 at 9:32 pm

Think "Super Freak", "Disco Inferno", "Hot Stuff", "I Will Survive", "Turn the Beat Around", "Little L", "Celebration". . .I mean play Call Me among those songs, and it just doesn't have the same groove--at all. . .Disco is really easy Matty, just think about those songs I've just mentioned, listen to them on YouTube--these songs you are proposing are really far stretched when you listen to them back to back, Call Me is part of the start to Punk Music,

I don't think that super freak is disco. Le freak, but not super freak

Written By: Below Average Dave on 09/05/08 at 10:00 pm

I don't think that super freak is disco. Le freak, but not super freak

Sorry my mix up, that's the song I had in mind, there is a noticeable difference. . . :)

Written By: Matthias on 09/06/08 at 11:33 am

I really wanted to come up with some breath-taking for this round, but I guess an average parody will suit me just fine in order to at least get me onto the next level...

"Hot Sauce"
http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/donnasummers2.shtml

Written By: Gianni Parmesiani on 09/06/08 at 7:36 pm

Hey,all.  Just looking for a point of clarification, as the new guy in town. 8) Can a parody be used for the "Idol" round and the SOTM round in the same month or are the two mutually exclusive (whatever the heck that means!)? Looking forward to hanging around for another round (I hope!), and am anxious for "Quarter to Five" to be posted so I can supply the link here. 

GP

Written By: Gianni Parmesiani on 09/06/08 at 7:46 pm

:D I just added a photo to my postings.  It's actually a few years old, but you get the idea.  I'm looking forward to posting a bio on amiright once I hit 25 parodies; I'm at 16 as of "Quarter to Five".

GP

Written By: Melanie Lee on 09/06/08 at 7:52 pm

:D  Okay, I've done my usual three-to-choose-from parodies, and submitted them today:

"Tambourine" (parody of "Tangerine" by Salsoul Orchestra)
"Offshore Inferno ("Drill, Baby, Drill!")" (parody of "Disco Inferno" by The Trammps)
"I Love Leftovers" (parody of "Love Hangover" by Diana Ross)

Please tell me if all those OS's are all right.

I plan to choose and submit one here Monday, or Tuesday at the very latest!  8)

Written By: Below Average Dave on 09/06/08 at 8:19 pm

Gianni, yes, the only rule here is it has to be written during the two weeks after the initial post for this round, it does not limit your entry against any other contests in which it may be eligible, so it is acceptable to use an entry from this contest in the SOTM that it qualifies for.

Melanie. . .

I'd have to listen to first one (not familiar with it)

but I guarantee the other two DO qualify (Both Disco Inferno (an obvious disco song) and Love Hangover (by a Disco Queen Diana Ross) definitely fit the bill)  The first one might too, like I said I've never heard of Salsoul Orchestra, or that song, but the other two are unquestionably disco.

Written By: EthanM on 09/06/08 at 8:41 pm

According to wikipedia salsoul orchestra is unquestionably disco

Written By: Below Average Dave on 09/06/08 at 8:46 pm

According to wikipedia salsoul orchestra is unquestionably disco

That's fine enough for me, all I said was I had never heard of them ;)  I do believe I said I'd have to listen to them--but I tend not to argue with Wikipedia, but thanks for saving me the listen

Written By: Gianni Parmesiani on 09/08/08 at 11:14 am

Here it is.  And Alvin already loved it!!

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/beegees69.shtml

Enjoy!!  On to the voting!!! ;D

GP

Written By: EthanM on 09/08/08 at 1:22 pm

We still need an official entry from melanie, but hopefully that'll come soon. And the early week deadline should mean that the judging would take too long. Which is good since this could be quite the nail biter (if I were one to bite nails).  The lack of non-entries alone makes it the most stressful round so far by far.

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/08/08 at 4:52 pm

We still need an official entry from melanie, but hopefully that'll come soon. And the early week deadline should mean that the judging would take too long. Which is good since this could be quite the nail biter (if I were one to bite nails).  The lack of non-entries alone makes it the most stressful round so far by far.

I have PM'd her...it's in her hands now.

Written By: Melanie Lee on 09/08/08 at 5:41 pm

:)  Okay, here's mine:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/thetrammps3.shtml

Let the judging begin!    8)

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/09/08 at 7:43 am

Melanie, sorry about the Beatles/midnight confusion. I sometimes type faster than my brain.  :-[

Written By: EthanM on 09/09/08 at 7:47 am

But now all the entries are in and nobody submitted a potential last-minute switch today so the voting can start

Written By: Below Average Dave on 09/10/08 at 3:32 pm

But now all the entries are in and nobody submitted a potential last-minute switch today so the voting can start

Voting has started. . .we aren't going to do a voting thread over on this side anymore (saving time and skipping to the important part)  I have a lot of stuff I'm taking care of at the moment because a sudden move related to a job opportunity came up, but I will try to vote late tonight.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 09/16/08 at 10:09 pm

Guys, we are talking something over at the top level in reference to the elimination. . .

We will post results tomorrow, we (as in me and Jack who just finished a conversation) promise.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 09/17/08 at 10:52 am

The Results of Round 5 are in

???

Winner of this round, and of the recording is. . .Gianni Parmesiani

Runner Up, and moving on to the next round is Matthias

The safe tier, in the middle and moving on is Melanie Lee

and now

the

really

antagonizing

moment

Wolverine?

or

Ethan?

Ethan?

or

Wolverine?

Oh

It

Was

So

Darn

Close

I

I

SURPRISE

This rounds result and the total to date indicate that eliminating either person would be somewhat unfair, so

ETHAN

&

WOLVERINE

You are both SAFE to the next round, where two people will be eliminated,

Congrats everyone!

Subject: Re: AmIRight Idol Round 5 RESULTS POSTED

Written By: EthanM on 09/17/08 at 11:12 am

Phew...now don't do this to us ever again

Written By: Gianni Parmesiani on 09/17/08 at 11:25 am

:D Well...alrighty, then!!  Thanks judges and congrats to everyone for "Stayin' Alive" this round.  ::)  What's next re: the next round, and what's next re: the recording of the song?  Is there any way I could get involved in the recording?  I really have no idea how it works, but I am excited.  Dave, could you help me out?  Thanks again.

GP

Written By: Matthias on 09/17/08 at 5:25 pm

2nd Place!!!

I'm moving up in the world!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...