inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: AmiRight Idol Round 7 Entry Thread: RESULTS POSTED

Written By: Red Ant on 11/08/08 at 10:08 pm

For Ethan, Matthias and Gianni: here is the round 7 entry topic....

Free For All!!

In this round, you can choose any song, any topic and any genre, with 2 stipulations:

a)the entry must be new (no entries previously submitted to Amiright) and
b)not simultaneously entered into any other comp (SOTM, Artistry, ABC, etc.)

Ant

Subject: Re: AmiRight Idol Round 7 Entry Thread: Deadline November 23rd

Written By: Matthias on 11/09/08 at 12:38 pm

Uh-oh... I don't like the looks of this one...

Written By: EthanM on 11/10/08 at 1:53 pm

Looks like everything we write for the next 2 weeks will have 3 less potential voters/commenters

Written By: Below Average Dave on 11/10/08 at 5:28 pm

Oh that's right. . .I better watch that myself  :o  I will comment and read the parodies by you three that aren't used for this contest after this two week period though. . .

Written By: agrimorfee on 11/11/08 at 8:01 am

Looks like everything we write for the next 2 weeks will have 3 less potential voters/commenters

Simply post your intended entry here, then on a daily basis we 3 should come here first for updates before jumping back to the Amiright New Entries page.

Written By: EthanM on 11/11/08 at 8:19 am

That only works if we decide on an entry early, which doesn't seem like a good idea to me at all.

Written By: Melanie Lee on 11/11/08 at 12:56 pm

For Ethan, Matthias and Gianni: here is the round 7 entry topic....

Free For All!!

In this round, you can choose any song, any topic and any genre, with 2 stipulations:

a)the entry must be new (no entries previously submitted to Amiright) and
b)not simultaneously entered into any other comp (SOTM, Artistry, ABC, etc.)

Ant

Oh, what a gyp!  I was looking forward to a very powerful challenge, even if I'm no longer in the running.  Couldn't you have told them to parody a song in musical theater, or a foreign-language song, or an instrumental, or an operatic aria, or another country's national anthem, or something grand like that?  I suppose that last round took the wind out of the judges!    :o

Oh, well.    :(

Written By: agrimorfee on 11/11/08 at 3:01 pm

Oh, what a gyp!  I was looking forward to a very powerful challenge, even if I'm no longer in the running.  Couldn't you have told them to parody a song in musical theater, or a foreign-language song, or an instrumental, or an operatic aria, or another country's national anthem, or something grand like that?  I suppose that last round took the wind out of the judges!     :o

Oh, well.     :(

We thought we were giving the contestants a break.  :)

Written By: Gianni Parmesiani on 11/12/08 at 11:34 am

Oh, what a gyp!  I was looking forward to a very powerful challenge, even if I'm no longer in the running.  Couldn't you have told them to parody a song in musical theater, or a foreign-language song, or an instrumental, or an operatic aria, or another country's national anthem, or something grand like that?  I suppose that last round took the wind out of the judges!     :o

Oh, well.     :(

:-\\  Perhaps oddly, though echoing Matthias' "uh,oh", I feel that a "free for all" is, in fact, tougher to a degree because now there are no boundaries and we, the remaining contestants, will have to wrestle with topics such as:  "what do I really like" or "What will the judges really like".  When given a topic or genre, we are all on the same plane, dealing with the same starting point.  But a "free for all" could be a big issue.  I'm actually not complaining, by the way.  I'm just pointing out that this is a good choice for a later round but is not really a break.  8)

;) see you around the site

GP

Written By: EthanM on 11/12/08 at 11:52 am

It's definitely not a break.  I think the only real strategy to take with this is write as many high-quality parodies as possible and then make an extremely difficult choice as the deadline approaches. If I were in charge I would have contestants submit two or three parodies to be judged during the two week period, but I'm not in charge and it wouldn't be right to change the rules to a round once it started.

Written By: EthanM on 11/13/08 at 10:03 pm

Judging by the stipulations there is no need for a backing track, right? Is this round not getting recorded because of the two recordings from last round?

Written By: Red Ant on 11/13/08 at 10:05 pm

Judging by the stipulations there is no need for a backing track, right? Is this round not getting recorded because of the two recordings from last round?

We'd like to record the winner for this round (and plan to), but if nothing is available for the winning entry (not even a MIDI), then no, it won't get recorded.

Ant

Written By: Matthias on 11/20/08 at 6:27 am

"Robbed An Egyptian Tomb"

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/22/Goosebumps_-5_The_Curse_of_the_Mummy%27s_Tomb.jpg/200px-Goosebumps_-5_The_Curse_of_the_Mummy%27s_Tomb.jpg

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/panicatthedisco18.shtml

Backing Track: http://store1.musicalcreations.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=21015026

Written By: EthanM on 11/21/08 at 10:39 am

this is a bit of a departure from what I've said earlier in this competition, but if there is no weekend parody update then I think the deadline should be extended to the next update. It wouldn't seem right if Gianni finished a parody today but missed the deadline because ChuckyG didn't have time for an update of Saturday.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 11/21/08 at 11:48 am

this is a bit of a departure from what I've said earlier in this competition, but if there is no weekend parody update then I think the deadline should be extended to the next update. It wouldn't seem right if Gianni finished a parody today but missed the deadline because ChuckyG didn't have time for an update of Saturday.

I know technically we have to 'convene' on this, but I think I speak for all three of us in saying, yeah that's a valid point--and I will ok it with Ant here later, I'm sure Agri agrees too--perhaps Monday the 24th by midnight to enter is better. . .

Extension granted, unless Ant or Agri say nay or wish to extend it longer, I vote yes on any extension to avoid having anyone auto DQ'd this late in the competition

Written By: Gianni Parmesiani on 11/22/08 at 9:55 am

:o Holy Cow!!  Thanks for the thought Ethan and judges.  I indeed plan on submitting my parody today and actually thought the deadline of the 23rd was Monday!!!  A brief extentsion like that would be greatly appreciated, guys.  I hjave a few things to do toaday before I can post the parody, but it will be up today.

;)See you around the site.

GP

Written By: Gianni Parmesiani on 11/22/08 at 2:38 pm

;D As of approximately 3:35 PM my time I submitted "Missed the Whole Ballgame".  I will post the link here when it comes available, and thanks for waiting!  I felt a little rushed, particularly when I realized, thanks to Ethan, that the 23rd was Sunday not Monday!!!  But it is in and I rather like it.  Hope the judges do, too!! :D

;)  See you around the site.

GP

P.S. Apologies for the lousy spelling in the previous post.  I was a bit flustered!!

Written By: Gianni Parmesiani on 11/24/08 at 8:44 am

??? Am I the only one out here?  Well, I hope the decision to wait for today's update stands because here's the link to my entry:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/thenittygrittydirtband1.shtml

Sorry for the delay. :-[

;) See you around the site.

GP

Written By: EthanM on 11/24/08 at 9:29 am

Here's mine:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/mims3.shtml

Let the judging begin!

Written By: Below Average Dave on 11/24/08 at 10:23 am

Alright, we will get right to it. . .I'll judge my opinions tonight!

Written By: EthanM on 11/28/08 at 7:02 pm

Is there a contingency plan in case of a tie? With 3 people competing for 18 points there could be a 3 way tie of 6 points each as well as an 8 to 5 to 5 tie and a 7 to 7 to 4 tie.

Written By: Gianni Parmesiani on 11/28/08 at 7:31 pm

8) Valid point, Ethan.  But, more importantly who put these Pilgrim hats on our smiley faces??!!

;) See you around the site.

GP

Written By: EthanM on 12/01/08 at 2:15 pm

It looks like we'll find out soon if there was a tie or not since all the comments are in.  Hopefully sometime tonight if not sooner.

Written By: karen on 12/01/08 at 4:16 pm

But, more importantly who put these Pilgrim hats on our smiley faces??!!

There are various sets for the different holidays

see here to view the others

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/04/08 at 7:52 am

For those wondering, the judges are trying to confer on the next step for this compeition. Please, persevere.  :)

Written By: Gianni Parmesiani on 12/04/08 at 8:32 am

:) As always, I shall endeavor to persevere....but that being said, is there a time frame we could be notified of?  There are Christmas cookies to be baked, stockings to be hung, presents to be wrapped, Menorahs to be lit, and Kwanzaa foods to be cooked.  :D Time will be of the essence for whoever gets on to the next round.  I'm not complaining...just inquiring as I persevere.  8) Thanks, judges.

;) See you around the site (in my Santa hat apparently)!

GP

Written By: Matthias on 12/07/08 at 6:53 pm

Any answer yet guys? Come on! Time is of the escence!!!

Written By: Below Average Dave on 12/07/08 at 10:05 pm

Any answer yet guys? Come on! Time is of the escence!!!

You know what Matthias, Agri doesn't have access on the weekend, YOU know that. . .He posted on Friday what was going on, my God, if this was a normal two week voting period (like normal contests) perhaps you guys wouldn't get so friggin antsy. . .

Written By: Matthias on 12/07/08 at 10:12 pm

You know what Matthias, Agri doesn't have access on the weekend, YOU know that. . .He posted on Friday what was going on, my God, if this was a normal two week voting period (like normal contests) perhaps you guys wouldn't get so friggin antsy. . .

You already voted and now your wasting your time, and you try to tell me this. What's with that attitude, we've waited for about a couple more weeks than need-be now... If this really was a 2 week voting period all of you would have been disqualified.

Written By: Red Ant on 12/07/08 at 10:25 pm

The results are in for round 7:

Matt, you had a good parody, but it fell a little bit short of 1st place. However, you are safe and move on....

Ethan, you had the best parody this round and won. Congratulations, and you are also in the final.

Gianni, cutting you has been the hardest cut of the competition. You've had some great showings and rounds, but round 7 is where it ends for you. Thank you for competing.

Round 8 will be announced in the morning.

Ant

Subject: Re: AmiRight Idol Round 7 Entry Thread: RESULTS POSTED

Written By: Below Average Dave on 12/07/08 at 10:38 pm

Matthias, I suggest you check your private messages before I get REALLY frickin angry  oh and you ARE WRONG about the two weeks, two weeks would have been tomorrow, and we all voted last week. . .like I said check your PM

Written By: EthanM on 12/07/08 at 11:36 pm

I think it just felt longer since all of the comments were in so quickly but this was certainly the fastest judging overall in a while. This has certainly been an interesting competition and Gianni had quite an impressive showing for someone so new to the site. I'm under the impression that part of why it took a while for the results to be announced was so that the finalists wouldn't be getting antsier waiting for the finals topic(s) than we would have waiting for the results and I hope I'm right. Especially about the next round being ready part. 

Written By: Matthias on 12/08/08 at 12:10 am

I would like to take a moment and apologize to our judges in this Amiright Idol competition. I was out of line to flip out on you as I did, and I was under the influence of alcohol which is the sole and only reason why I acted so rash. I would hope that our judges don't take my comments too seriously, and I thank them for putting me in 2nd place of this Amiright Idol competiton so thank you very much Agrimorfee, Below Average Dave, and Red Ant. (I hope you can all take my comments with a grain of salt and move on, knowing that I truely am deeply sorry). That is all I can say about this, other than the fact that I'm looking forward to the next round. 

Written By: Gianni Parmesiani on 12/08/08 at 8:21 am

:( Ah,well...all good things must come to an end.  ;D It was a hoot, and I thank you all for a great ride.  What no parting gifts??!!  Good luck to you,  Ethan and Matty.  It has been my pleasure competing with you guys all the way through.  One of the "real" Idol contestants once said that he was glad when he got cut because he no longer had the pressure of waiting and performing.  In a sense, I can commisserate; though I would have loved to enter the final round, with the holidays and all, a little respite from competing won't be such a bad thing.  Dave, thanks for the recordings; we'll chat.  As for the rest of it....

;) see you around the site! (but maybe not for a little while)

GP

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/08/08 at 9:20 am

What no parting gifts??!!  

Your agent didn't get a call from Leno's people yet?  ;)  ;D

Better luck next year, C U on the site, too! (Join in Matty's Ages of Amiright Compeition!)

Written By: EthanM on 12/08/08 at 9:49 am

Your agent didn't get a call from Leno's people yet?  ;)  ;D

Better luck next year, C U on the site, too! (Join in Matty's Ages of Amiright Compeition!)

Next year? Is there a plan to do this again next year with the same rules?

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/08/08 at 10:10 am

Next year? Is there a plan to do this again next year with the same rules?

Dunno. It depends on what people want to do.

Everyone, history of this site notes that this is the first time, out of a few aborted attempts, that this AI-styled competition was taken seriously, formulated democratically, and hopefully to be brought to a satisfying completion for all involved. We had some rough spots and some good spots. I believe we've learned some things on how to make this better next year if I, or Dave or Red Ant, or if someone else decides to chair this comp.

I think everyone, judges and contestants, should give each other virtual handshakes and pats on the back for joining in this, and for having patience as we knocked the bugs out of this system and dealt with our own personal real-life issues.

Karamel for Below Average Dave, Red Ant, Matthias, Ethan, Gianni P, Melanie Lee, Ann Hammond, Wolverine, Jason, Jack Wilson, Tenacious Lee and Doug Baseball.

Written By: EthanM on 12/08/08 at 10:45 am

I've been around for all of the attempts at doing this and this has been by far the most successful. I just patted myself on the back.

Written By: 2nz on 12/08/08 at 12:05 pm

I'll second Agri's karamels. Seems to be a lot of fun and, at times, a lot of work and energy to be involved in amiright idol. It kinda makes me wish I hadn't gotten medal in SOTM. Continue to do well everyone, and remember to never take it too seriously. It's our habit of not taking things seriously that has us writing parodies in the first place. So, everyone who is still posting on this thread karamelled...

I've been around for all of the attempts at doing this and this has been by far the most successful. I just patted myself on the back.

...but you can't do that Ethan.  :P

Check for new replies or respond here...