inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ages of Amiright: Part 2? (LAST CALL!!! Enter by tonight!)

Written By: Matthias on 11/15/08 at 11:36 am

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/clock1.jpg

I was thinking about start a Part 2 to the very popular Ages of Amiright contest, now that everybody is back into working order, and we got rid of a contest (The ABC contest that is), I think it's the very appropriate time to bring back one of my favorites from the contest archives, and that is of course the "Ages of Amiright"

For those of you who didn't participate in the last contest here's how it basically works

You have two weeks to complete a brand new song (Or if you have a song that already fits the criteria you can insert that one instead if you so choose)
The criteria is a two part process which consists of a period of time (For example the 1995-2000, most of the time in a span of 5 years except for the 50's and 60's which have a round to themselves), as well as a topic (For example "Careers" or "Life Events") once you have both of those components you are given the span of two weeks to submit a song that consists of both of those parts. (Quite alike the Decathlon)

The voting scale is quite alike the one used in the SOTM, with the rule of you can submit until the first person has voted as used by The Artistry it's on a scale of 5 places, unless the number of willing contestants for a round decreases and the voting scale has to be lowered, but the set number for an average contest is 5 places.

For returning contestants some of the rules have been changed

For example the 1950's and the 1960's have become a round of their own and not in the span of 5 years, because that became too difficult and less fun for our participants
2005-Present has also become a round... Although that's only a span of 3 years, I think that it should be represented.
The biggest change that I found critical was that it is not going to be in reverse order like the last Ages of Amiright, meaning that it's not going from 2005 to 1950, but instead it will be randomly chosen quite alike the topics. I also think that will make this contest more fun and more spontaneous which is what we were originally going for.

I hope that many of you will read this forum and join us in bringing in another "Ages of Amiright"

PS: If you have any questions at all feel free to contact me through PM, if there's something that you would like me to explain further or something that you would like to add either PM me or just write your comments below.

(People Involved)

1. Matthias
2. Ethan Mawyer
3. Below Average Dave
4. Conquerer of Parodies
5. 2nz
6. Melanie Lee
7. Jeff Reuben
8. Emiloca
9. Arwen
10. Invisible Boy
11. Jack Wilson
12. Luke Brattoni
13. Agrimorfee

Subject: Re: Ages of Amiright: Part 2?

Written By: EthanM on 11/15/08 at 12:21 pm

I say do it, and I'll try to make it through more than two rounds this time.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 11/15/08 at 6:43 pm

Though I wasn't looking at getting involved in anything else right now. . .I placed second in the first Ages, and feel as such, I should join if nothing else, to defend my silver:) 

Written By: ThaConqueror on 11/15/08 at 8:50 pm

Well, if I was mad enough to enter the first Decathalon, was insane enough to enter the first Ages of AmiRight, was bonkers enough to enter the second Decathlon, and is nuts enough to have set a goal to enter in every round of Artistry, I clearly have no sanity left, so I have no choice but to dive headfirst into this one!

In other words, count me in!

Written By: Matthias on 11/15/08 at 11:17 pm

I really want to get a good number of people involved in this, like 8 or more... I don't know if it's going to happen, but let's try guys! Let's try!

Written By: 2nz on 11/16/08 at 3:13 pm

Count me in, more reasons to keep writing. This will be my first 'write it unless you got it' contest, should be fun.

Written By: agrimorfee on 11/17/08 at 8:16 am

Due to the holidays, I wish you wouldn't start this until the New Year.
  :-[

Written By: Matthias on 11/17/08 at 9:58 am

Due to the holidays, I wish you wouldn't start this until the New Year.
  :-[

I'm not starting it yet, just posting the idea of it... Although if we get enough people intrested in it I might start it sooner, but I was probably going to start it right after Amiright Idol is complete.

Written By: Melanie Lee on 11/17/08 at 4:45 pm

???  So let's see...you pick a topic and a 5-year span per round and we write or submit the parody, right?

For example, if you said 1960s and Halloween, I could put up my "I Got a Rock!" or write a new parody about Halloween using a song from the 60s.  Next round, 1970-75 and Performing Arts, I could put up my "Screenplay" or write a new parody about theater, film, dance, or another performing art.  Have I gotten it?    :P

If so, count me in!    :D

Written By: Matthias on 11/17/08 at 7:59 pm

???  So let's see...you pick a topic and a 5-year span per round and we write or submit the parody, right?

For example, if you said 1960s and Halloween, I could put up my "I Got a Rock!" or write a new parody about Halloween using a song from the 60s.  Next round, 1970-75 and Performing Arts, I could put up my "Screenplay" or write a new parody about theater, film, dance, or another performing art.  Have I gotten it?    :P

If so, count me in!     :D

That's exactly right! I'm glad to see you in this Melanie!!!

Written By: jreuben on 11/18/08 at 1:33 pm

Sure, I missed the first one but I'm up for it this time around.  Looking forward to it!

Written By: EmiLoca on 11/19/08 at 6:03 pm

Count me in as well, I can't believe I missed this one before.

Written By: Matthias on 11/22/08 at 8:13 pm

On Thanksgiving Day, aka Thursday I'm going to call "Last Calls, Everybody In?" just to keep you all posted

Written By: Arwen on 11/25/08 at 1:27 am

I'll totally play...(I'm so glad I beat the Thanksgiving last call...phew!)...as the sort of similar Decathlons were my favorite contests ever...(I apparently need direction in my old age...)

Thanks for the message, Matty...sometimes I need a little poke.  :)  I can't believe nobody else tried to recruit me.  Like...maybe...someone I talk to on a regular basis. 

(We're in a fight, Mr. Reuben.) ;)

Written By: Matthias on 11/25/08 at 1:53 am

This is really an intresting group of people. Two of the most prolific female artists on Amiright, one of the very first people to write for Amiright, An inspiring newbie, and all of us (exception of Melanie) have won at least one place on the podium of a SOTM.

This is going to be intense!

Written By: Invisible Boy on 11/25/08 at 8:12 am

Count me in Matty...I don't want to miss out on being part of this cast...

8)

Written By: Matthias on 11/25/08 at 9:27 am

Awesome!!! This is going to be fun, hard as all hell with the amount of talent we have gathered together under one roof, but fun.

Good Luck everybody

The first round will be posted on December 1st

Written By: jreuben on 11/25/08 at 10:06 am

I'll totally play...(I'm so glad I beat the Thanksgiving last call...phew!)...as the sort of similar Decathlons were my favorite contests ever...(I apparently need direction in my old age...)

Thanks for the message, Matty...sometimes I need a little poke.   :)  I can't believe nobody else tried to recruit me.  Like...maybe...someone I talk to on a regular basis. 

(We're in a fight, Mr. Reuben.) ;)

I have no idea why Ash didn't tell you about it.  I was certainly planning on telling you...it's on my calendar, tell Arwen about Ages of Amiright...the day after Thanksgiving  ;D

Written By: Arwen on 11/25/08 at 12:21 pm

I have no idea why Ash didn't tell you about it.  I was certainly planning on telling you...it's on my calendar, tell Arwen about Ages of Amiright...the day after Thanksgiving  ;D

Bastard.

Written By: Jack Wilson on 11/26/08 at 6:53 pm

Im in! Ive been so busy lately though, and out of ideas so this will give me some

Written By: EmiLoca on 11/26/08 at 10:32 pm

This is really an intresting group of people. Two of the most prolific female artists on Amiright, one of the very first people to write for Amiright, An inspiring newbie, and all of us (exception of Melanie) have won at least one place on the podium of a SOTM.

This is going to be intense!

Ahem.

I believe what you meant was:

Two Three of the most prolific female artists on Amiright...

;)

Written By: EthanM on 11/26/08 at 10:46 pm

I was scared for a bit that I might lose computer/internet access for a long time yet again, but the ancient box rebooted successfully and I merely lost everything I'd been working on during the past several days. So I'm still in.

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 11/27/08 at 6:10 am

^LOL I'm still in Ethan's profile quote... and he's a Native American... and the smileys are still all wearing their Thanksgiving Hats so I'm thinking I'm nudging in on time.

Oh, you thought you'd slip through without me, eh?  ;D

Subject: Re: Ages of Amiright: Part 2? (LAST CALL!!! Enter by tonight!)

Written By: Matthias on 11/27/08 at 11:20 am

The first round will be posted December 3rd, making it in the middle of the week so late entries can post, because Chucky doesn't normally post over the weekends

Subject: Re: Ages of Amiright: Part 2? (LAST CALL!!! Enter by tonight!)

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/01/08 at 9:18 am

Matty PM'd me, so I am in, FYI.

Check for new replies or respond here...