inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ages of Amiright: Part 2 (Round One!)

Written By: Matthias on 12/03/08 at 11:57 am

Hello ladies and gentlemen! Welcome to Ages of Amiright: Part 2. For those of you returning "Welcome Back!" for those of you who haven't been with us in the past, "Thanks for joining us". This looks to be a very exciting contest with very talented artists participating. This contest was originally created because I was tried of seeing the same decade being represented here on Amiright (That being the 60's and 70's). There are a lot more decades out there that are equally as important, but don't get the proper amount of respect here because they are far too new. Thanks to this contest we'll be taking a stab at all decades. Good luck to all of you.

Our first topic is "The Dating World" and you can cover any part of it such as "The 1st Date", "Bachelor Parties", "Marriage", or the ever so popular "Sex"  ;). It's a pretty open topic so you all shouldn't worry about it.

Our first half decade is "1995-2000". Any song from this decade is open. If you don't know any songs from this decade may I recommend: "www.top40db.com". A very good site that has the Billboard winners from each decade.

Here are the few rules that this contest has...

1. Make sure that your song has something to do with the topic (That's why it's there for)
2. Make sure your song is from that half decade (If you don't know ask)
3. Make sure that you get it done in the time limit given (Which is two weeks from today)
4. Make sure to post it here when it's uploaded on Amiright
5. Have fun with it

Deadline: December 17th

Subject: Re: Ages of Amiright: Part 2 (Round One!)

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/03/08 at 1:43 pm

http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/theoffspring97.shtml
The Meaning From Wife.

DKTOS? Get the message from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxU6jCRi4yc

Written By: EthanM on 12/03/08 at 2:57 pm

I've got one that's about three years too late...I guess it's time for me to start thinking of something new

Written By: Below Average Dave on 12/03/08 at 3:19 pm

Oops on the timing, your deadlines are going to be the day before each Artistry, this should be interesting. . .I already have at least two qualifying songs on this one (which is interesting since the last Ages took place when I was so new that I didn't have a qualifying song for anything ahead of time) but I want to do something new. . .fun topic

Written By: 2nz on 12/03/08 at 4:01 pm

I'm not sure if 'Your Mom' would fit here, but that's immaterial because I have another to a Green Day song off of the album 'Nimrod', which just so happens to have been released in '97.

"Fight with your Wife" to "Good Riddance (Time of your Life)"
http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/greenday47.shtml

It's the fourth song I ever submitted to this site. Half a decade goes by fast. I had forgotten it's existence until I checked through my song list just now. Read through all of it for my newbie surprise ending.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 12/03/08 at 4:45 pm

I'm not sure if 'Your Mom' would fit here, but that's immaterial because I have another to a Green Day song off of the album 'Nimrod', which just so happens to have been released in '97.

"Fight with your Wife" to "Good Riddance (Time of your Life)"
http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/greenday47.shtml

It's the fourth song I ever submitted to this site. Half a decade goes by fast. I had forgotten it's existence until I checked through my song list just now. Read through all of it for my newbie surprise ending.

I forogot about that one, perhaps I should enter my podium tested Dime in My Wife. . .I'll use it as a place setter. . .but expect something else just because before the deadline

Written By: ThaConqueror on 12/03/08 at 4:58 pm

Our first topic is "The Dating World" and you can cover any part of it such as "The 1st Date", "Bachelor Parties", "Marriage", or the ever so popular "Sex"  ;). It's a pretty open topic so you all shouldn't worry about it.

Ah crap...how come the first round of these kinda contests have such a crappy topic to work with? The first Decathlon had 'Historical Figures/Events', the second Decathlon had 'Make Your Own Commercial' and now 'The Dating World'...curse my lack of social life!

Ahem. Sorry for the rant. Any reason we're skipping the 2000's this time around?

Written By: EthanM on 12/03/08 at 5:09 pm

According to the initial thread the decades are in random order so we're not skipping the 2000s

Written By: Melanie Lee on 12/03/08 at 5:20 pm

Now, if I remember correctly, the parody doesn't have to be a new one--right?

???

Written By: ThaConqueror on 12/03/08 at 5:50 pm

According to the initial thread the decades are in random order so we're not skipping the 2000s

Ah, I musta missed that one.

Written By: EthanM on 12/03/08 at 6:26 pm

There's a potential conflict with amiright idol too depending upon when the next round actually starts.

Written By: Matthias on 12/04/08 at 12:54 am

Now, if I remember correctly, the parody doesn't have to be a new one--right?

???

Exactly... Feel free to add any parodies that you've already written that fit the topic, and the decade.

Written By: Melanie Lee on 12/04/08 at 7:03 pm

Exactly... Feel free to add any parodies that you've already written that fit the topic, and the decade.

::)  I think all my1990s and 2000s--few as the are--are political, not romantic, and "Can I Kick You Out?" (Do I Make You Proud?) can be about a roommate as well as a live-in lover, so I'll have to start afresh.  8-P

Written By: ThaConqueror on 12/05/08 at 4:09 pm

http://cache01.stormap.sapo.pt/fotostore01/fotos//43/8e/18/45621_000p07c8.jpg

Nerd's Mating Call

Vid for 'Wonderwall' by Oasis

Written By: Wolverine on 12/05/08 at 4:32 pm

I don't know why dating (or the lack thereof) works, but Dot Com Special has been submitted for your rejection.  I mean approval...damn I hate dating.

;)

Written By: jreuben on 12/09/08 at 9:56 am

I'll stick 

Boy Toy as a placeholder, but will likely write something new.

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 12/09/08 at 5:26 pm

'Prick' to the tune of 'Brick' by Ben Folds Five

http://www.free-revenge-ideas.com/images/pickaxe_car.jpg

http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/benfoldsfive16.shtml

Written By: Arwen on 12/09/08 at 5:30 pm

I'm working on one now...it's repeatedly annoying me, and going slower than I'd hoped.  Much like my love life.  ;)

You'd think that with all of my bad date sagas I'd have something done already...(although I would have written something new anyway)...but nothing fits in the right decade.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 12/09/08 at 6:13 pm

http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/bloodhoundgang10.shtml
The Bad Dates

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTW8oUV8Aq0
The Bad Touch

Written By: Matthias on 12/11/08 at 4:06 pm

http://studio423photo.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/bride_of_frankenstein_elsa_lanchester2.jpg

Because Mulan was a 90's movie I created, "I Built A Babe I Can Screw" to "I'll Make A Man Out Of You"

Written By: Below Average Dave on 12/12/08 at 1:45 am

http://studio423photo.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/bride_of_frankenstein_elsa_lanchester2.jpg

Because Mulan was a 90's movie I created, "I Built A Babe I Can Screw" to "I'll Make A Man Out Of You"

You've been stuck an a horror kick of late, has anyone told you that?

Written By: Matthias on 12/12/08 at 8:40 am

It must be something about the Christmas holiday...  ;)

Written By: Below Average Dave on 12/13/08 at 3:32 am

It must be something about the Christmas holiday...  ;)

So, Night Santa Went Crazy just wasn't enough for ya  :)  Hey-I don't mind one bit, I always thought the horror genre is one of the worst genres in the movies because the acting is generally so pathetic and the story lines are limp (being polite) so it DESERVES every last bit of comedy poked at it that it gets, and with you covering the bases so well, it helps me with process of elimination--Look forward to it  ;D

Written By: Matthias on 12/13/08 at 8:42 am

Scratch that!

I already have a song that fits the topic and also got me into the podium for SOTM... So there's no doubt in my mind what other song I should go with, "Neat Freak" it's about a relationship the underlining topic is a relationship the overlining topic is flithiness.

http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/thebarenakedladies0.shtml

Written By: Below Average Dave on 12/13/08 at 2:44 pm

Scratch that!

I already have a song that fits the topic and also got me into the podium for SOTM... So there's no doubt in my mind what other song I should go with, "Neat Freak" it's about a relationship the underlining topic is a relationship the overlining topic is flithiness.

http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/thebarenakedladies0.shtml

I don't know, I got burned in Decathlon (not to mention the first ages) many times that way (Mix Two Chemicals was a bad habit, but it wasn't it's primary objective, Don't Download Me was technology but it wasn't it's primary object, and I have many other examples)--but perhaps you'll have better luck than I did. .not to mention One Week is a far more impressive song than You Don't Own Me :)

Written By: tomario on 12/13/08 at 4:41 pm

I'd like to join in Matthias. Get myself back in the swing of things  ;)  :D

Written By: Matthias on 12/13/08 at 9:46 pm

I'd like to join in Matthias. Get myself back in the swing of things  ;)  :D

Sure... Wow... This is like the largest group of people gathered together for one certain goal since... ever?!

Written By: jreuben on 12/13/08 at 10:13 pm

BTW, likely sticking with Boy Toy now.  Got hooked on another song  :D  You'll see Monday...

Written By: tomario on 12/15/08 at 8:53 am

Posting this incase i dont make the deadline!
I know its old news but hey ho...

Quit me  baby all is mine!

youtube original song

http://www.soundoffcolumn.com/images/k-fed-grocery-shopping.jpg

Written By: tomario on 12/16/08 at 9:53 am

Matthias can you cancel that Britney entry and use this one!! Pretty Please  ::)

I Pissed a Girl

I Kissed a Girl - Jill Sobule

http://pro.corbis.com/images/42-18159046.jpg?size=572&uid=%7B73CEA6B4-10CB-43C3-AF0F-5C7173627B2C%7D

Written By: Matthias on 12/16/08 at 9:58 am

Matthias can you cancel that Britney entry and use this one!! Pretty Please  ::)

I Pissed a Girl

I Kissed a Girl - Jill Sobule

http://pro.corbis.com/images/42-18159046.jpg?size=572&uid=%7B73CEA6B4-10CB-43C3-AF0F-5C7173627B2C%7D

This was a 2008 song buddy... I can't add it because it needs to fit the decade as well as the theme, sorry.

I thought that was yet another Katy Perry song, yes we're good, I'll add it.

Written By: tomario on 12/16/08 at 10:20 am

No problem Matthias. I expect there will be a few who think the same!  :D

Written By: Matthias on 12/16/08 at 10:22 am

Still waiting on parodies from Invisible Boy, Ethan Mawyer and Jack Wilson...

Wanted to bring this up, because I haven't heard from any of you on this thread so far, and you only have one day left to enter.

Written By: EmiLoca on 12/16/08 at 10:52 am

*rolls in on skates carrying half-burnt cheeseburger, frozen fries, Cherry Coke and Men Speak to the tune of "One Week" by Barenaked Ladies*

Written By: Matthias on 12/16/08 at 11:05 am

*rolls in on skates carrying half-burnt cheeseburger, frozen fries, Cherry Coke and Men Speak to the tune of "One Week" by Barenaked Ladies*

"Gulp!"... Maybe I shouldn't have said anything  :-\\

Written By: Arwen on 12/16/08 at 11:23 am

Hey...I haven't officially submitted anything yet.  But...I guess I will.  I have another one that I hoped to finish in time...but it's not going to happen tonight, as I have a hot date with Afam Muojeke.

So...this'll have to be the one...

Platonic?

Written By: Melanie Lee on 12/16/08 at 12:00 pm

Still waiting on parodies from Invisible Boy, Ethan Mawyer and Jack Wilson...

Wanted to bring this up, because I haven't heard from any of you on this thread so far, and you only have one day left to enter.

:o  You forgot me!  :o

Well, here's mine:
Macaroni
http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/losdelrio4.shtml

8)    :-* 

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/16/08 at 12:57 pm

Well, here's mine:
Macaroni
http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/losdelrio4.shtml

I like this, Mel, but are you sure you don't have something that fits a bit more with the category given by Matthias? It will increase your chances of podium placement!

Written By: EthanM on 12/16/08 at 1:04 pm

I like this, Mel, but are you sure you don't have something that fits a bit more with the category given by Matthias? It will increase your chances of podium placement!

How does that not fit? It's about a date

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/16/08 at 1:16 pm

"A bit more", I said. Just trying to help.  ???

Written By: Matthias on 12/16/08 at 2:14 pm

"A bit more", I said. Just trying to help.  ???

Sorry Agrimorfee, I agree with Ethan on this one. (That almost never happens) But I want the topic to be more of a guideline, because it allows you to think outside of the box like what Melanie did here with this parody. I didn't know that this was about a date from the title alone, no, but that's fine with me, because there are many parodies out there that you LOVE that don't reflect the title at all. For example "Whatever You Like" done by Weird Al Yankovic (his new song) I didn't know at first was going to be a stab at our current economic status, but I still love that parody. That also would have fit under dating, although the main aspect of that parody is aforementioned the economy. So I really don't think that she should write a new parody for this round, because you are too harsh of a critic on the topic alone. I understand that you're trying to help, and I sorry if I'm being condescending but Below Average Dave has also done topics that have been outside the box as he mentioned earlier and has been hurt by people who take the topic of the round far too seriously.   

Written By: Melanie Lee on 12/16/08 at 2:16 pm

Like Ethan said, it's about a date.  How to make it a bit more of a date?  Have them go out?  Some dates do happen in people's homes, you know!      ;)

Besides, the category is "The Dating World", and such things (I mean visiting each other's homes), I imagine, almost always happen in the dating world!  :)

Written By: jreuben on 12/16/08 at 2:23 pm

It could even be about techniques for classifying the age of ancient artifacts:  Carbon Dating  ;D

(Yes, I was tempted)

Written By: Matthias on 12/16/08 at 2:31 pm

I would expect anything less Mr. Bad Habit.... Oy! We walked right into that one.

Written By: Arwen on 12/16/08 at 3:09 pm

Sorry Agrimorfee, I agree with Ethan on this one.   

You know, I can see both sides of it.  I totally appreciate that Matthias allows us to have our artistic freedom and know that the time might come when I'm stretching quite a bit....(carbon dating! ::)).  That being said, I think a voter should have the choice as to how they judge any parody...including if they think that adhering to the topic with a certain degree of strictness is important.  The general consensus is what will win out in the end...so if everyone else thinks Melanie's parody fits the topic and is FABulous...it won't affect her negatively at all if a few people choose to dock it for it's "outside the boxedness."  It's Matthias' decision as to whether or not he'll allow something in the contest...but it's up to the voter to apply their own opinions in their scoring.

For the record, I was totally nodding in agreement when I read Agri's comment.  I read Melanie's parody this morning, and while there is nothing wrong with it as a parody in general, I thought the same thing about the topic.

Written By: tomario on 12/16/08 at 5:39 pm

Sorry i feel i have to disagree. I think you'll find it hard to find a parody that is more about a date in the comp  :o

Written By: Invisible Boy on 12/16/08 at 7:25 pm

Hello all.

I've been having a bit of a problem here in beautiful NH. I don't know if it made the national news, but last Thursday there was an ice storm here and the power was knocked-out for more than half of the entire state.

We were lucky because we got our power back yesterday. There are still more than 30,000 homes here without power. When you don't have power you don't have lights, heat (the coldest night was 17 degrees F) hot water, TV or Internet.

Also, you are very grumpy.

Also, the sump-pump stops working and your cellar (basement) fills-up with water and ruins your furnace and hot water heater and all the stuff you have down there. :(

This is the first night I've been able to get back online.

Anyway, now that you've heard me whining...I'll try to get writing, but I'm not sure if I can get anything finished and posted tonight.

If I end up missing the deadline, I'll understand. (Unless "To All The Girls I've Loved Before" qualifies. Although it was released in 1984...I'm sure it was played on the radio sometime in the late 90s)

8)

Written By: Matthias on 12/16/08 at 7:47 pm

I'll post the voting thread tomorrow... And I'll also post a message telling everybody to hold off until you had a chance to post your parody. That is a GOOD reason, one of the best excuses I've ever heard. Take your time Invisible Boy as long as it's up within the next few days, I'll actually give you to the end of the work week to post your parody, because Chucky doesn't post on Saturday or Sunday so you now have till Friday and anybody else who lives in the state of New Hamshire.

Written By: Invisible Boy on 12/16/08 at 7:57 pm

Thanks Matty. Are you still in Fla...where it's warm ? :-\\

BTW...Chucky, who's in Worchester (pronounced Woostah) MA probably lost power for a while as well. Maybe Johnny D too.

8)

Written By: Matthias on 12/16/08 at 8:06 pm

Thanks Matty. Are you still in Fla...where it's warm ? :-\\

BTW...Chucky, who's in Worchester (pronounced Woostah) MA probably lost power for a while as well. Maybe Johnny D too.

8)

Hell yeah I am

And I really, really, really, really don't want to go back to to Ohio, especially now since I've heard your story.

Check for new replies or respond here...