inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Come One, Come All, and Congratulate the winner and runner up AMIRIGHT IDLE

Written By: Below Average Dave on 12/31/08 at 3:16 am

This competition was a tough one on all of us

Timing, planning and everything, much was learned throughout this competition.

Strong competitiors, Wolverine, Gianni, Melanie Lee, Ann Hammond, Jack Wilson, Jason, Stephen Harrington, & Tenacious Lee competed hard, and did very well, but alas two parodists proved themselves as the most hungry for the grand prize. . .which led us to a show down between two parodists who are legends of their own right, and now and I think it's safe to say both have proven they are veteran writers.

No round was unaimous, no round was easy--there were no easy eliminations.  Wolverine, Gianni Parmesiani, Melanie Lee and Ann Hammond all put up tough fights, but ultimately Two parodists were left standing. . .

Ethan Mawyer and Matthias--you guys were both impressive, but we could only pick one winner. . .and by a hair. . .

The winner of the 2008 AmIRight Idol, and 5 recordings by Below Average Dave-free promotion to The Mad Music Archive, AmIRight and Badave.com Internet Radio Network is. . . . . .

Congratulations to the AmIRight Idol: Matthias

but Ethan Mawyer congratulations on a terrific performance throughout.  You really pulled out big stops towards the end of the competition, and are far more than a honorable mention in this.  You still have one parody in the recording works that either I or Red Ant should get to soon (after the previous round is complete of course) and if this competition happens again--you will be the one to beat.

Congratulations to both of you--and Matthias-we'll be in talks about what songs I should record and such after the 4 remaining winners are recorded.

Subject: Re: Come One, Come All, and Congratulate the winner and runner up AMIRIGHT IDLE

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/31/08 at 7:46 am

http://www.tvguide.com/images/pgimg/american-idol449.jpg

CONGRATS!!

Subject: Re: Come One, Come All, and Congratulate the winner and runner up AMIRIGHT IDLE

Written By: Matthias on 12/31/08 at 9:02 am

-Steps up to the mic-

Wow! I don't know who to thank... I'd like to thank all the people at Amiright, and the judges who made this day possible. You guys who are what made this happen, I am just a single piece in this puzzle we call comedy. I know better than to doubt myself any longer, this entire year has been strong for me making the podium in the SOTM for 4 months out of the year, and and being able to complete almost the entire Epic 40, and now this. I don't know what to say. Thank you.

-Faints-

Written By: 2nz on 12/31/08 at 9:33 am

Congratulations, Matt. Excellent work all around. As I've come back after some time away, I have truly enjoyed the slapstick humor in a decent amount of your parodies that is already your trademark, and your abilities to put a lot of energy into a song while still making it fun to read. Also, I don't think I would have written 'Oxymoron' when I did if I hadn't been exposed to 'Fighting Someone' first, so thanks for the inspiration.

Congratulations also to Ethan, for making it this far. What can I say man? I've known you for a long time, and you've influenced me as a writer and as a performer over the years. I would not have gotten on stage at that NY comedy club if I hadn't seen you do it first. Your efforts to consistently push yourself are inspiring.

And well done to everyone else who was involved. Judges, your efforts to support new and developing talent enrich the community in an excellent way. And all you other competitors (tough draw last round Gianni) are the reason that this competition worked.

I wasn't highly involved in this, but it was fun to watch, observe and cheer on the new works. Have a happy new year everyone.

Written By: wildcard on 12/31/08 at 10:27 am

*Matthias is out cold, don't tell me he needs a kiss and another date*

good job everyone

Written By: Red Ant on 12/31/08 at 5:24 pm

Congratulations to Ethan and Matt. Happy New Year to you both.

Matt and Ethan, you both did a great job throughout the contest. There was no single round that was unanimous in voting the winner.

Since you both had the same song to parody, we will be recording both parodies. It might take Dave or I a bit of time to do them, and I can't promise we'll sound like Pink, but never the less we'll get them done.

signature banned as well

Written By: wildcard on 12/31/08 at 6:11 pm

^ what did you do this time?

Written By: EthanM on 12/31/08 at 7:17 pm

This was certainly an interesting and worthwhile competition and the first elimination-based contest in Amiright history that I have ever seen reach completion so congratulations to the judges for managing to get this completed in spite of all of my impatience and arguing. And of course well done Matt  for stepping it up when you needed to. As promised I didn't read yours until after I finished mine and when I did see it I knew that if I did lose this round that I wouldn't feel cheated since it was a very worthy entry and didn't go into territory covered by Weird Al (twice) like mine did. If I was judging and the two sets of lyrics came in anonymously I don't know which one I would have picked and have no way of knowing so no use going into it anymore.

Thanks, Glen. I knew about the performing but I didn't know that I influenced you lyrically at all. That's some pretty flattering stuff. It's hard for me to tell exactly who influenced me but I know that all sorts of songs being submitted inspired me to tackle the same original song in a different way, and I don't know if I ever would have written my "Gaston" parody if yours hadn't reminded me of the song.

I think that I could use a little bit of a break from contests (hence my MIA-ness in Ages) but if something like this starts up again in a few months (hopefully open to everyone this time) I'll be glad to compete again. 

Written By: Melanie Lee on 01/02/09 at 6:01 pm

;D  Congratulations, Matt!  ;D

Congratulations to Ethan, too, for his 2nd-place finish.  8)

To everyone involved: thanks for making this a fun and challenging event!  :-*

Written By: Wolverine on 01/04/09 at 5:17 pm

Congrats you two!

Check for new replies or respond here...