inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Thong of the Month - UPDATED, Guys.

Written By: Silver Power on 01/10/09 at 1:35 pm

I've read all of your comments. Luckily none were about my horrible spelling. I haven't been on this site in such a long time. I forgot that the main point of SOTM was to start the contest after the month, which, thank you guys for reminding me. Yesterday, boredom caused me to start this.

I guess what I'll do is I'll start a new thread at the end of this month, and for the time being, just make and submit your parodies to Whatfreaks, and, when I start this contest again at the end of this month, enter your from Whatfreaks onto this contest, if anyone is still interested.

I was unaware that Whatfreaks was only updated about 3 times a month, because on the front page, it says that parodies were submitted on 1/8/09 I think. But that must've jut been when they were accepted.

It will remain on this board, since more people use InThe00s than the other board.

But if you want to submit your parodies to Whatfreaks for when the contest starts at the beginning of February, the rules are as follows:

- - -

1. Submit an x-rated song parody to Whatfreaks.com. ONLY PARODIES ON WHATFREAKS.COM WILL BE ACCEPTED, GUYS. IF YOU HAVE A DIRTY PARODY ON AMIRIGHT, RE-SUBMIT IT TO WHATFREAKS.COM FOR THE PARODY TO BE ACCEPTED.

2. One parody per person, please.

3. X-rated DOES NOT MEAN RACIST!

4. Deadline is Sunday, February 1st, 2009, at 11:59pm.

5. Voting Starts Tuesday, February 3rd, and goes on until Tuesday, February 17th.

6. You must comment each parody that is entered into this contest, links to each contestants parodies will be provided here, along with Youtube links to the original song. DKTOS is UNACCEPTABLE!

7. You will vote for your top 3 favorite parodies entered.

==Prizes==

3rd Place: A theoretical hug. It will make you all warm and fuzzy, theoretically, of course.

2nd Place: A free pickle, just send me the $726.50 S&H. I live in Antarctica. If you don't want this prize, I'll give you a smiley. Like this.  :D

1st Place: The jealousy of others, and knowledge that all of the time spent in your step-brothers basement creating parodies only went partially to waste.

LET'S GET CRACKING, PERVERTS!

Submit parodies here! -->  www.Whatfreaks.com <-- Submit parodies here!

Subject: Re: January Thong of the Month - NEW!

Written By: Red Ant on 01/10/09 at 2:31 pm

Parody contests for whatfreaks should be on the messageboard over there.

signature banned as well

Written By: Matthias on 01/10/09 at 2:47 pm

Parody contests for whatfreaks should be on the messageboard over there.

signature banned as well

Nobody's going to see them over there... This is in order to get more people active into the site.
I understand where you're coming from, but since this is in order to get the site more active couldn't it stay over here?

Written By: Below Average Dave on 01/10/09 at 3:30 pm

I have a bigger problem with this

One that would keep me from participating

These types of contests should only be hosted at the COMPLETION of a month, you should never know a song of the month before the month is done, what about songs that come out at the end of the month?

It also invites creating parodies just for this contest, which shouldn't be the case with an "insert name" of the month, entries shouldn't be open til the month is complete just like SOTM and POTQ. . .kinda like award shows that take place before the year ends have less credit than say PCA or the Grammies--the reason is because they wait til the year completes before they crown "Insert name" of the year awards. . .just my two cents

Written By: Matthias on 01/10/09 at 3:44 pm

So Red Ant has a problem with where it's being posted, and you have a problem with the name of it.

Sheesh...

I for one like the idea of getting more people to experience that portion of the site, simply because not a whole lot of people know about it, and this allows the to branch out.
The name doesn't bother me, although I do see where Dave's coming from.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 01/10/09 at 3:46 pm

So Red Ant has a problem with where it's being posted, and you have a problem with the name of it.

Sheesh...

I for one like the idea of getting more people to experience that portion of the site, simply because not a whole lot of people know about it, and this allows the to branch out.
The name doesn't bother me, although I do see where Dave's coming from.

I think you need to re-read my post Matthias, while I DON'T like the name, that wasn't even mentioned--MY BIGGEST PROBLEM IS THE TIME FRAME FOR A SONG OF THE MONTH ORIENTED COMPETITION NOT BEING THE ENTIRE MONTH

Written By: Matthias on 01/10/09 at 3:47 pm

I think you need to re-read my post Matthias, while I DON'T like the name, that wasn't even mentioned--MY BIGGEST PROBLEM IS THE TIME FRAME FOR A SONG OF THE MONTH ORIENTED COMPETITION NOT BEING THE ENTIRE MONTH

My bad...  :-[

Sheepishly slinks off... Sorry Dave.

Written By: Red Ant on 01/10/09 at 3:55 pm

By the rules Silver Power laid out, I could enter any parody on WF I've already written.

Hey, I don't care if it's hosted over here. I tried my damndest to make WF and NP sub-boards over here, but the owners of the sites didn't want it that way. Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure they want them completely separated.

Entrants may not be aware of the NP messageboard, but nearly everyone knows about WF. Why try to garner interest in one site w/o helping out its own message board?

Besides, WF is currently updated about three times a month. It might not even be updated before the deadline has passed, and posting a SOTM type contest in the middle of the month on a weekend... just not interested in it. Best of luck to all who enter.

Silver Power (and any others interested), if you do make this over there, let me know via PM or something: I'll probably have to manually activate a new account (if you don't have one already).

signature banned as well

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/10/09 at 5:26 pm

this should really be posted on the other site. 

I'm sure the owner of Whatfreaks can review more often, it's not occurring more than once a week, because there's maybe a handful a week being submitted.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 01/10/09 at 5:32 pm

My bad...  :-[

Sheepishly slinks off... Sorry Dave.

No problem Matty-just wanted to make sure you understood my main objection to this was not the name--though Thong of the Month is inherantely indicates only humor about 'thongs' is acceptable, or humor about women.  Just as I'd oppose "Schlong of the Month" or "Buns of the Month", perhaps "Freak of the Month" would be more appropriate, but I agree that it should be hosted at whatfreak's Nasty Penguins board as well, but it should be advertised here in the "Song Parody" board so that those who don't know about it have an opportunity to participate.  Karma to everyone in this conversation.  ..

Written By: 2nz on 01/10/09 at 11:57 pm

No problem Matty-just wanted to make sure you understood my main objection to this was not the name--though Thong of the Month is inherantely indicates only humor about 'thongs' is acceptable, or humor about women.  Just as I'd oppose "Schlong of the Month" or "Buns of the Month", perhaps "Freak of the Month" would be more appropriate, but I agree that it should be hosted at whatfreak's Nasty Penguins board as well, but it should be advertised here in the "Song Parody" board so that those who don't know about it have an opportunity to participate.  Karma to everyone in this conversation.  ..

I understand where everyone is coming from in stating that the tournament shouldn't be hosted in these messageboards. It makes sense to me to have them separate and to make use of a perfectly functional message board over at WF. I also understand where you're coming from Dave, and I respect you greatly as a writer and as an organizer, even as an inventer doing what you do with the audio show and all the time you've invested in recording. But dude, it's just a name. IMO it could just as well be 'Long Dongs and Bongs from Hong Kong of the Month'. Also, since this would be the first official tourney that I know of for WF, why not grandfather in all the song submitted so far? Grab some more interest, especially since there are so few updates. Using standard naming systems for tournaments is more organized, and sort of necessary here because of how many there are, but it also worries me. It worries me because of how seriously we are required to think in order to have these tournament naming protocols in the first place. It makes me a little scared that we're losing our ability to be irreverant and silly in favor of being organized and structured, or at the very least that the latter is more important than the former...

where was I? Oh, well. I just want to say good luck, we're all counting on you. And I'll see your karma and raise you and everyone else some karma as well.

And hey Matt and Silver.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 01/11/09 at 12:03 am

I understand where everyone is coming from in stating that the tournament shouldn't be hosted in these messageboards. It makes sense to me to have them separate and to make use of a perfectly functional message board over at WF. I also understand where you're coming from Dave, and I respect you greatly as a writer and as an organizer, even as an inventer doing what you do with the audio show and all the time you've invested in recording. But dude, it's just a name. IMO it could just as well be 'Long Dongs and Bongs from Hong Kong of the Month'. Also, since this would be the first official tourney that I know of for WF, why not grandfather in all the song submitted so far? Grab some more interest, especially since there are so few updates. Using standard naming systems for tournaments is more organized, and sort of necessary here because of how many there are, but it also worries me. It worries me because of how seriously we are required to think in order to have these tournament naming protocols in the first place. It makes me a little scared that we're losing our ability to be irreverant and silly in favor of being organized and structured, or at the very least that the latter is more important than the former...

where was I? Oh, well. I just want to say good luck, we're all counting on you. And I'll see your karma and raise you and everyone else some karma as well.

And hey Matt and Silver.

Thanks for your opinion 2nz, in case you didn't notice, my previous post said my primary problem with it was the entry thread not being posted at the end of the months, NOT the name.   I would not limit myself from participation over the name--I would however if it's a song of the month oriented contest (as this is) and it didn't give an opportunity for the entire month to be included, especially since it's not updated regularly for such time sensitive contests to be viable,

My biggest problem is as the current rules are, it would not give time to include all of a given month as a song of the month competition should, and as long as that's the case, I don't see how this contest will help WhatFreaks because with the updating system, how many people are going to brush it off when there's a good chance regardless of when you finish your parody, it won't post in time.

Change it to be a month at a time, with the entry thread posting at the beginning of each month for the previous month--and then I think the contest has a chance.

Also, I agree with Glen's opinion on a catch up round if this is to be done seriuosly, the rules need to have an inclusion though of "this song needs to have been released during the month the contest represents" of some sort.

Subject: Re: Thong of the Month - UPDATED, Guys.

Written By: Silver Power on 01/11/09 at 7:27 am

Read the new rules above.

Also, if the majority of you are still opposed to the contest being hosted on this site, I'll do it on the other boards. But hopefully we can keep it on here, since it is board #823 of all boards on the web .

Written By: Tia on 01/11/09 at 8:02 am

i have a problem with it in terms of there not being any thongs.

http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2008/4/46apr16-thong-prob.jpg

Written By: Silver Power on 01/11/09 at 9:52 am

i have a problem with it in terms of there not being any thongs.

It could be renamed, my other ideas were Dong of the Month and Schlong of the month, but I chose thong.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 01/11/09 at 11:04 am

It could be renamed, my other ideas were Dong of the Month and Schlong of the month, but I chose thong.

Hey it's your contest, you have the right to name it what you want to name it--you fixed my big problem and I will consider entering it--though I may sit out a few months and make see how it goes and then join if it's a healthy contest, but you fixed my primary objection.

Written By: Silver Power on 01/11/09 at 2:40 pm

Good enough for me ;]

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/12/09 at 7:38 am

Read the new rules above.

Also, if the majority of you are still opposed to the contest being hosted on this site, I'll do it on the other boards. But hopefully we can keep it on here, since it is board #823 of all boards on the web .

The only bad thing about hosting this comp. here is the fact that this is a somewhat clean area. I am not being puritanical, but I'd hate for the board to begin to have a net reputation for being filthy, google searches and all. Song titles will inevitably be part of that. This is just my initial thoughts, of course; Chucky and the WF have the final say. I don't have an interest in participating, but I do simply suggest that announcements are made here about the contest, as Silver has done here, but all further action take place at the WF board (submission of entries, questions, judging, results).

Written By: Tia on 01/12/09 at 8:32 am

oh! cuz it sounds like "song"!

i get it.

Check for new replies or respond here...