inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: January 2009 SOTM RESULTS POSTED

Written By: Below Average Dave on 02/09/09 at 12:00 am

Note to new participants: Welcome, and good luck. Please read all guidelines carefully. Especially, please make sure to read all the entries and vote by the end of the month. The SOTM is not so much a contest as a feedback exchange. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, either in this thread or via personal message. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

~~Vote by replying to this thread with your five favorites in order:
1st choice- 5 points
2nd place- 4 points
3rd place- 3 points
4th place- 2 points
5th place- 1 point.

~~You're not allowed to vote for your own song.

~~Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it.

~~Voting continues until the last day of the month ends.

~~Anyone who's participated in a SOTM contest may vote.

~~By entering, you are agreeing to read and comment on all the other entries and vote.

~~Anyone who enters but does not both comment on all entries and vote by the end of the month is disqualified and may not participate next month.

~~In the event of a tie, the parody with the most first place votes wins.
If it's still tied, the parody with the most second place votes wins. and so on
If the points total and votes are identical, it will be left as a legitimate tie

~~Any entrant whose votes don't show a time stamp prior to midnight on the last day of the month (ie. according to the "inthe00's meantime" clock as it appears BEFORE you log in - not a timezone corrected version) is disqualified, without exception.

~~A medal known as the FUCA shall be awarded to the highest ranking parody which did not make the month's podium and is of an original song which has not previously earned any medal

1. I've Just Flattened the Scale With My Fat A$$ by Matthias
    It's the End of the World As We Know It

2. Oz-Lotto Song by The Conqueror of Parodies
    Immigrant Song

3. Noggin a Splode by Ethan Mawyer
    Hot N Cold

4. Never Gonna Trick You Up (The Rick Roll Song) by Silver Power
    Never Gonna Give You Up

5. Tough Week by Below Average Dave
    One Week

6. Gravy Train by Agrimorfee
     Crazy Train

7. Let's Troll by Max Power
    Let's Groove

8. That's A No-No by Claude Prez
    That's Amore

9. Hannah Montana by Arwen
    Copacabana

10. It's the Colossal Dinner by 2nz
      We Didn't Start the Fire

9 Marks the lowest entrant total in SOTM history, one more entry would keep it from setting that record by itself, late entrants will be accepted until either Monday at midnight EST or the first vote being cast, whichever comes first

Subject: Re: January 2009 SOTM Voting Thread

Written By: Matthias on 02/09/09 at 10:58 am

1. I've Just Flattened the Scale With My Fat A$$ by Matthias
    It's the End of the World As We Know It

That's right my ass is worth big bucks!  ;)

Written By: Matthias on 02/09/09 at 5:50 pm

5 Points: Arwen's Future Britney Spears
4 Points: Claude's Bad Habits
3 Points: Below Average Dave's Bad Week
2 Points: Silver Power (Who just won a million dollars just click here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0)
1 Point:  Agrimorfee's Economic Woes (Good Luck Buddy!)

Written By: 2nz on 02/09/09 at 9:14 pm

I've been busy of late, and I completely forgot that I wrote one for Ages in January. I know Matt's voted already, so no sweat if it's too late for me to enter. But for the sake of plugging my foodz one more time and moving the participating authors into the double-digits, I'll late submit this one:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/billyjoel291.shtml

Again, really, no sweat if it's too late. I had forgotten I had written it in Jan. until recently. Nobody would have to edit votes. It's a list parody and the OS has a long history of winning songs of years, so maybe you're all sick of it already anyway, HAHA. But whatever, let me know. Just throwing my hat into the ring if nobody feels like swatting it down.

*Imagine a smiley that looks like gonzo smiling here*

Written By: Silver Power on 02/10/09 at 12:31 pm

Alrighty then.Without further ado, or cute little jokes, here are my votes:

5 Points: Claude Prez
4 Points: Arwen
3 Points: Matthias
2 Points: Below Average Dave
1 Point:  Ethan Mawyer

Written By: Below Average Dave on 02/11/09 at 5:51 pm

I've been busy of late, and I completely forgot that I wrote one for Ages in January. I know Matt's voted already, so no sweat if it's too late for me to enter. But for the sake of plugging my foodz one more time and moving the participating authors into the double-digits, I'll late submit this one:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/billyjoel291.shtml

Again, really, no sweat if it's too late. I had forgotten I had written it in Jan. until recently. Nobody would have to edit votes. It's a list parody and the OS has a long history of winning songs of years, so maybe you're all sick of it already anyway, HAHA. But whatever, let me know. Just throwing my hat into the ring if nobody feels like swatting it down.

*Imagine a smiley that looks like gonzo smiling here*

I put it in, sorry you missed two voters--BUT there's still lots of time left to vote. . .(I know technically it's too late, but with 9 entrants, I don't think anyone will complain.)

Written By: Claude_Prez on 02/13/09 at 12:49 pm

Jeez, I'd forgotten how inhumanely difficult it was to vote in these things.  Anyway, here goes:

5 points to #9 (Arwen)
4 points to #1 (Matthias)
3 points to #3 (Ethan)
2 points to #5 (BAD)
1 point to #10 (2nz)

Written By: agrimorfee on 02/13/09 at 3:20 pm

5pts=Matthias
4pts=Arwen
3pts=Claude
2pts=BAD
1pt=2nz

HM--Ethan

Written By: Arwen on 02/27/09 at 12:56 am

Ah...it's amazing how fast a month can go by, huh?  Wow.  I kept thinking..."I've got PLENTY of time to vote..."

Anyway...

5 HUGE points for Claude
4 points for Silver Power
3 points for B.A. Dave
2 points for Ethan
1 point for 2nz

Written By: ThaConqueror on 02/27/09 at 1:27 am

1 point to BAD Week
2 points to The Remains of Ethan's Head
3 points to Arwen vs. Hannah/Miley/Whoever the hell she is
4 points to Claude's No-No
5 points to Rick Roll Power

Written By: Below Average Dave on 02/28/09 at 11:16 am

HM to 2nz, Conqueror of Parodies, Silver Power and Max Powers

1 Point to Claude Prez

2 Points to Ethan Mawyer

3 Points to Matthias

4 Points to Agrimorfee

5 Points to Arwen

Written By: Max Power on 02/28/09 at 11:56 am

5pts - Arwen Montana

4pts - BAD Week

3pts - Claude saying no

2pts - Mafia's weight is over 9,000!

1pts - #$%^ you Silver!!! You did it again!!! ::) ;D

Were no strangers to love...

HM: EVeryone else

Written By: Matthias on 02/28/09 at 11:16 pm

And the winners are..........

1st Place
with 31 Points.....
Arwen with her parody "Hannah Montana"

2nd Place
with 25 Points.....
Claude Prez with his parody "That's A No-No"

3rd Place with 17 Points.... (One 5)
Matthias with his parody "I Just Flattened A Scale With My Fat Ass"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(A close 4th Place also 17 Points but Zero 5's) Goes to.... Below Average Dave

- 5th Place (12 Points): Silver Power <FUCA (Since "One Week" has already podiumed)
- 6th Place (5 Points): Agrimorfee
-7th Place (0 Points): Conqueror_of_Parodies and Max Power

DQ's... 2nz and Ethan Mawyer (Sorry Guys!)
2nz would have had 3 Points, and Ethan would have had 10

Written By: Matthias on 02/28/09 at 11:24 pm

http://images.paraorkut.com/img/pics/images/c/cartman-2521.gif

Thanks to all of you who voted for my fat ass....

Now screw you guys I'm going home!!!

Subject: Re: January 2009 SOTM RESULTS POSTED

Written By: Arwen on 03/01/09 at 1:17 am

Holy COW, Guys!!  Considering the fact that I went back and forth as to whether or not I'd even enter...I'm honestly floored here. :o

Congrats to Claude and Matty... :)

Thanks to you all, for the votes, of course, but especially, for welcoming me back into SOTM with such open arms....(it's been a while)...you guys all rock!!   :)

Written By: ThaConqueror on 03/01/09 at 6:25 am

Congrats Matthias, Claude (now THAT'S a comeback!) and ARWEN!!

Written By: Below Average Dave on 03/01/09 at 10:45 am

Congrats Arwen, Claude and Matty

Written By: Silver Power on 03/01/09 at 12:35 pm

- 5th Place (12 Points): Silver Power <FUCA

What did you call me?

Nah, but what is FUCA... I have no idea what that means. ~.~

Written By: Matthias on 03/01/09 at 12:42 pm

What did you call me?

Nah, but what is FUCA... I have no idea what that means. ~.~

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=33400.0

Written By: 2nz on 03/01/09 at 6:52 pm

And the winners are..........

1st Place
with 31 Points.....
Arwen with her parody "Hannah Montana"

2nd Place
with 25 Points.....
Claude Prez with his parody "That's A No-No"

3rd Place with 17 Points.... (One 5)
Matthias with his parody "I Just Flattened A Scale With My Fat Ass"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DQ's... 2nz and Ethan Mawyer (Sorry Guys!)

Sorry everyone, and congrats ARWEN (SUPERB SONG, FULLY DESERVING, and I didn't know that about her father), CLAUDE (glad to see you around these parts still, still kickin' some tail in the tourney you pretty much started) and Matt (I'm getting sick of seeing you podium with your consistently quality work. I'm comin' for ya as soon as my DQ wears off :c])

I procrastinated voting, I didn't fully factor in my late entry, I didn't fully appreciate the length of February, and blah blah blah. This will be my first DQ ever, and I'm not happy about that, but it's no one's fault but mine. No hard feelings and I'm sorry for not holding up my end of the SOTM bargain. Hopefully I can still comment on everybodys stuff between today and tomorrow.

One last note, does a DQ still mean I can't participate in this coming months tourney? If so, then *frowny face*. Karma to everyone but those DQ'd :c(

Written By: Silver Power on 03/01/09 at 7:19 pm

Oh, I see. I'm perfectly content with my consolation prize. Will my statuette be sent to me via Fedex or UPS?  ;)

Written By: Claude_Prez on 03/01/09 at 8:32 pm

Thanks everybody!  And congrats to Arwen and Matthias!  And also, extra-special thanks to BAD, Matthias, Red Ant and Stu (and anyone else I'm forgetting) for all their work to keep the SOTM going after that one bum ditched you all with it.  Oh, and as always, thanks to Chuck, without whom.....well you know.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 03/01/09 at 9:01 pm

Sorry everyone, and congrats ARWEN (SUPERB SONG, FULLY DESERVING, and I didn't know that about her father), CLAUDE (glad to see you around these parts still, still kickin' some tail in the tourney you pretty much started) and Matt (I'm getting sick of seeing you podium with your consistently quality work. I'm comin' for ya as soon as my DQ wears off :c])

I procrastinated voting, I didn't fully factor in my late entry, I didn't fully appreciate the length of February, and blah blah blah. This will be my first DQ ever, and I'm not happy about that, but it's no one's fault but mine. No hard feelings and I'm sorry for not holding up my end of the SOTM bargain. Hopefully I can still comment on everybodys stuff between today and tomorrow.

One last note, does a DQ still mean I can't participate in this coming months tourney? If so, then *frowny face*. Karma to everyone but those DQ'd :c(

Unfortunately it does, there isn't a rule in this contest that allows us to vote to over-ride it like there is in ABC (not that I personally like that we can't over-ride it especially since it was a late entry and all)  Hope you are back in full force for March Glen.  . .

Written By: Claude_Prez on 03/02/09 at 10:43 am

Unfortunately it does, there isn't a rule in this contest that allows us to vote to over-ride it like there is in ABC (not that I personally like that we can't over-ride it especially since it was a late entry and all)  Hope you are back in full force for March Glen.   . .

I could've sworn there was some mechanism for rule changes in there somewhere.  If not, there should be, in my opiniion.  Not that I'd want to do the work or anything.  But really, the SOTM can hardly afford to turn away participants at this point, especially guys like Glen or Ethan who always do their part but just had the short month sneak up on them.

Written By: jreuben on 03/02/09 at 10:55 am

I could've sworn there was some mechanism for rule changes in there somewhere.  If not, there should be, in my opiniion.  Not that I'd want to do the work or anything.  But really, the SOTM can hardly afford to turn away participants at this point, especially guys like Glen or Ethan who always do their part but just had the short month sneak up on them.

I agree with Claude here.  I think most of us feel the best part of the contest is the feedback we get from other writers, so to exclude participants hurts us at least as much if not more than the people who miss the deadline.  I'd like to propose that if people who miss the deadline for voting can comment on all of the songs before the next month's entry deadline, they can enter the that month. 

What does everyone think?

Written By: Red Ant on 03/02/09 at 11:05 am

I'd like to propose that if people who miss the deadline for voting can comment on all of the songs before the next month's entry deadline, they can enter the that month. 

What does everyone think?

Sounds good to me. Points earned in the DQ month are still forfeit though.

I also propose a rule change that makes the 2nd place finisher in Jan 09 SOTM the host for the year, heh heh.

Congrats to Arwen, Claude and Matt.

Ant

Written By: Claude_Prez on 03/02/09 at 11:10 am

Sounds good to me. Points earned in the DQ month are still forfeit though.

I also propose a rule change that makes the 2nd place finisher in Jan 09 SOTM the host for the year, heh heh.

Congrats to Arwen, Claude and Matt.

Ant

Heh heh.  I'd like to propose that the 2nd place finisher in Jan 09 SOTM run really fast the other way.

Seriously, I think Jeff's proposal is brilliant so if we're voting put me down for a yes.

Written By: Matthias on 03/02/09 at 11:15 am

I just realized I said exactly what Jeff said so I'm changing my comment to, I completely agree with Jeff (And none of those "I commented" comments either, I don't rememeber who did that but that pissed me off)

Written By: Below Average Dave on 03/02/09 at 12:57 pm

There is, a new rule can be suggested on any entry thread. . .I'm all for allowing 2nz in the next month, if no one opposes it I'll allow it, but I do think that if this is something people would like to change, someone should suggest a rule change on the Feb entry thread to allow voting on overturning a DQ for the following month

Written By: jreuben on 03/02/09 at 1:00 pm

I do agree that points in the DQ month are still forfeited (what Username Deleted said)

Written By: 2nz on 03/02/09 at 6:29 pm

I do agree that points in the DQ month are still forfeited (what Username Deleted said)

Sounds fair to me. And thanks everybody. So, does that work for everyone if myself and/or Ethan comment on your works?

I also support what Dave said. We should officially vote for this next month just so we can be fair about it.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 03/02/09 at 9:08 pm

Sounds fair to me. And thanks everybody. So, does that work for everyone if myself and/or Ethan comment on your works?

I also support what Dave said. We should officially vote for this next month just so we can be fair about it.

Yes absolutely, I'm going to operate on the premise that this rule will pass especially since I, and at least 70% of the regulars have already shown support for the new rule

I will host the official vote along with the Feb SOTM but I'm pretty confident that it will pass--and I will allow the rule to be applied for you to enter February, I mean not only do I support it but some of the other names coming out saying 'yes' indicates that we all pretty much agree on this one.

Check for new replies or respond here...