inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Random Word Challenge - $10 prize!

Written By: WerdFreek on 05/07/09 at 10:36 pm

$10 via PayPal to the first responder (within 48 hours*) with a legit answer:

I'm looking for a pair of (preferably related) two-syllable words whose only difference is that the consonant sounds that start each syllable are reversed in the two words, e.g., Ki-TCHen/CHi-CKen.  I'm sure there's a more elegant way to put that, but I think the example clarifies what I mean.  

The SPELLING/CONSTRUCTION of the sound doesn't have to be the same in both words (though that would be cool), so for example, in one word, the first syllable could start out F, and in the other word the second syllable could start with "Ph", as long as the two SOUNDS are the same.

I don't actually know of any other pairs besides chicken/kitchen, I just randomly noticed that about those two words and was curious about other pairs like that.  I'm sure there are some, but I have no idea how I would even begin to google that, so I figured I'd incentivize you wordsmiths to try to think some up...

:)

If no one comes up with one in 48 hours, I may extend it, I just don't want to leave it open-ended and have to keep checking back this board for an indefinite period of time...  ;)

Subject: Re: Random Word Challenge - $10 prize!

Written By: karen on 05/07/09 at 10:41 pm

depending on your accent

bailout/layabout

sort of works

Written By: WerdFreek on 05/07/09 at 10:44 pm

Good try, but they really do have to have the same number of syllables and the same stresses, so even 'Percent/Serpent' doesn't fit.  Like I said, the only difference is that the consonant sounds are reversed.  Thanks.

Written By: EthanM on 05/07/09 at 11:41 pm

finer/knifer

soppy/posse

Written By: Red Ant on 05/08/09 at 12:33 am

cussing/sucking

Ant

Written By: karen on 05/08/09 at 7:59 am

patting/tapping

Written By: WerdFreek on 05/08/09 at 1:00 pm

finer/knifer

soppy/posse

Ah, Congrats, EthanM, I knew there must be some simple ones out there.  Email me with your paypal... johnsonhomely@hotmail.com.

Thanks, guys.

Written By: WerdFreek on 05/08/09 at 1:02 pm

Ant and Karen, $5 honorable mention.

Written By: EthanM on 05/08/09 at 1:27 pm

I sent you my address...thanks. In case you're suspicious of people pretending to be me for $10, my address starts with nypar (and it should list my name as Ethan Mawyer)

Written By: WerdFreek on 05/08/09 at 11:15 pm

I sent you my address...thanks. In case you're suspicious of people pretending to be me for $10, my address starts with nypar (and it should list my name as Ethan Mawyer)

done. check your paypal account.

Written By: EthanM on 05/09/09 at 12:37 pm

I got it, thanks

Written By: skeptic on 05/10/09 at 7:51 am

I don't want to darken this extraordinary money-earner Ethan, but what are the motives here? 

This is not a difficult task.  2 minutes thinking gave me the following 8.  Why is this man accessing your paypal account ostensibly to give you $10 for just one?

nightie  tiny
musky scummy
lighter  tiler
sicker  kisser
cattle  tackle
fibber biffer
study dusty
sabre  baser

Written By: EthanM on 05/10/09 at 9:28 am

It is a bit strange, but all the info that I gave was my paypal address and the most nefarious thing that can be done with that is send me spam, right? I already get plenty of that.

Written By: EmiLoca on 05/11/09 at 2:01 am

He's trying to hack a government access password, and that was the hint.

When the Statue of Liberty goes down, we'll know who to blame.  ;)

Written By: Jennephik on 05/11/09 at 7:56 pm

If you are still "looking" for answers...

peering/reaping
leering/reeling
bucket/cubit
bustle/stubble - maybe a bit of a stretch...
stated/tasted
looking/cooling
letter/teller

Many, many more...

Check for new replies or respond here...