inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New idea for Author Of The Year

Written By: DJ Blaze on 08/01/09 at 8:34 pm

How about we break it into 3 categories:

New parodist of the year: Anyone whose first parody was written in 2009. (Example: Mark Scotti)
Established parodist of the year: Anyone who wrote parodies before Jan. 1st, 2009 (Example:AFW)
Overall parodist of the year: Voted among all the parodists.

How does that sound?

Subject: Re: New idea for Author Of The Year

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/01/09 at 11:41 pm

New parodist of the year: Anyone whose first parody was written in 2009. (Example: Mark Scotti)
Established parodist of the year: Anyone who wrote parodies before Jan. 1st, 2009 (Example:AFW)

How does that sound?

Parodist of the Year is determined by SOTM entries. . .it's the only fair way to do it. . .as for New parodist, and established, they too are kinda decided by SOTM results, but I've often thought it'd be cool to come up with some kind of Award Ceremony, it's just hard to imagine what the best way to do that is, what the categories are, how to nominate songs, or if there's enough interest.  .  .

Written By: DJ Blaze on 08/02/09 at 10:00 am

Parodist of the Year is determined by SOTM entries. . .it's the only fair way to do it. . .as for New parodist, and established, they too are kinda decided by SOTM results, but I've often thought it'd be cool to come up with some kind of Award Ceremony, it's just hard to imagine what the best way to do that is, what the categories are, how to nominate songs, or if there's enough interest.  .  .

I thought I had a cool idea, but it is sort of unfair... SOTM entries does seem fine to me.

Written By: Rex on 08/02/09 at 10:43 am

How does that sound?

A separate contest for "NPOTM" (New Parodist of the Month) might work if enough new parodists would participate.  I envision it working just like SOTM except it's only open to parodists who started posting to AmIRight (under any name) in the current year. 

Written By: DJ Blaze on 08/02/09 at 10:55 am

A separate contest for "NPOTM" (New Parodist of the Month) might work if enough new parodists would participate.  I envision it working just like SOTM except it's only open to parodists who started posting to AmIRight (under any name) in the current year.  

That sounds just about alright! Only if we can get enough people to participate.

Written By: DoRitos on 08/02/09 at 2:34 pm

A separate contest for "NPOTM" (New Parodist of the Month) might work if enough new parodists would participate.  I envision it working just like SOTM except it's only open to parodists who started posting to AmIRight (under any name) in the current year. 

(under any name) ???  What if I write a parody using the author name of John Doe?  This would then qualify me as a new parodist but I've been writing since May 2003.  Is this fair to the new folks?

Written By: Rex on 08/02/09 at 3:04 pm

(under any name) ???  What if I write a parody using the author name of John Doe?  This would then qualify me as a new parodist but I've been writing since May 2003.  Is this fair to the new folks?

Excuse my unclarity, I was attempting to say exactly the opposite of what you interpreted.  No matter how many names you've used on AmIRight, your first parody posting under any name has to be in the current year.

Written By: DoRitos on 08/02/09 at 5:09 pm

Excuse my unclarity, I was attempting to say exactly the opposite of what you interpreted.  No matter how many names you've used on AmIRight, your first parody posting under any name has to be in the current year.

Then I take it that you mean that in order to be eligible to participate in NSOTM that one cannot have written any parody on this site except for their year that is current no matter how many author names one may use, but if. lets say that a writer began writing on this site in Feb 2009 using the author name Joe Dokes and then in Jun of 2009 began writing as John Doe this author would be eligible to complete since both author names are attributed to the same person who has never writen any parody on Amiright who has less than 366 days since the first parody was written?  In other words if an author published his/her first parody within the past 365 days they would be eligible to participate in NSOTM.  So this contest eligibility would be restricted to people who are in their first 365 days of writing on Amiright.  If an author posted a first parody on Amiright on July 15, 2009 that author can participate in the NSOTM until July 15, 2010. 

This would be fair except a writer who started on Aug 20, 2008 would only get to participate for less than three weeks before said author would time out.  I think we need to choose a starting date - say Sep 1, 2009 for anyone who has been writing for less than 366 days and thereafter anyone coming in new uses their first publish date plus 365 days to time out.  In other words this concept needs a "grandfather" clause in order to be fair.

Written By: Leo Keough on 08/02/09 at 6:32 pm

This is a fascinating discussion!

What would stop a veteran author from posting under a new screen name in order to qualify for New Author of the year?  Even if the Editors/Moderators have the ability to track the internet address of posters, there would be no way to determine if someone was posting under their new screen name from a different address (like if they sent their postings to a friend with a different internet provider in another city, state to be submitted from there).

And no matter what time in the year the cutoff was established, there would be new authors who had a full year of posting up against new authors who had been posting for only a few weeks or months.

Written By: DoRitos on 08/02/09 at 7:43 pm

This is a fascinating discussion!

What would stop a veteran author from posting under a new screen name in order to qualify for New Author of the year?  Even if the Editors/Moderators have the ability to track the internet address of posters, there would be no way to determine if someone was posting under their new screen name from a different address (like if they sent their postings to a friend with a different internet provider in another city, state to be submitted from there).

And no matter what time in the year the cutoff was established, there would be new authors who had a full year of posting up against new authors who had been posting for only a few weeks or months.

I thought I solved this problem with the "grandfather" clause idea?

You are correct about not being able to track someone doing this - in fact almost anyone could do it from work most likely.  I would hope that we "veterans" would respect the site and our peers so not to do something this dastardly.  And if somehow DJ's idea catches on I would submit that anyone caught cheating on this comp be banned from the site as a deterrent to those who may become tempted.

Written By: EmiLoca on 08/03/09 at 12:38 am

I'm actually somewhat opposed to the idea.  I guess I'm just confused as to why we would want to consider a second "NPOTM" bracket for fledgling parodists.  Several first-time parodists have done astoundingly well in the normal SOTM, and some "established" parodists have yet to see a podium.  It seems like a lot of work (grandfather clause? seriously?) just to introduce a new trophy for a limited number of contestants.
The "Song Parody Contests" board is already quite saturated with contests and I feel like every time we add a new one, the value of each one decreases slightly.  I would much rather see a new parodist introduce him or herself into any of our myriad contests and blow us old farts out of the water.  :)

Written By: DoRitos on 08/03/09 at 4:53 am

I'm actually somewhat opposed to the idea.   I guess I'm just confused as to why we would want to consider a second "NPOTM" bracket for fledgling parodists.   Several first-time parodists have done astoundingly well in the normal SOTM, and some "established" parodists have yet to see a podium.   It seems like a lot of work (grandfather clause? seriously?) just to introduce a new trophy for a limited number of contestants.
The "Song Parody Contests" board is already quite saturated with contests and I feel like every time we add a new one, the value of each one decreases slightly.  I would much rather see a new parodist introduce him or herself into any of our myriad contests and blow us old farts out of the water.   :)

Emi - I think the newcomers should decide if they want this or not.  It's not like we old timers need to get involved with the commenting, voting, etc.  My only concern would be that the eligibility status may get violated.  This is probably going to be a tough one to get off the ground anyhow but you also make a very good point.  I don't care one way or the other - I just wanted to clarify and pose some questions about how the thing should be set up. 

Written By: DJ Blaze on 08/03/09 at 4:07 pm

Wow, I didn't know this would get that much feedback! Now that you've mentioned all this stuff, it makes it look like a bad idea. So I've went back to my decision that the Author Of The Year should be just one award to any group, new or established. If you guys still support my idea, that's fine. But it does look like an awful lot of hassle.

Written By: DoRitos on 08/03/09 at 6:07 pm

Wow, I didn't know this would get that much feedback! Now that you've mentioned all this stuff, it makes it look like a bad idea. So I've went back to my decision that the Author Of The Year should be just one award to any group, new or established. If you guys still support my idea, that's fine. But it does look like an awful lot of hassle.

Caleb - Not to worry.  Everytime a new idea is brought up it is beat to death by everyone.  This is minor compared to what I have seen.  I came up with an idea last summer called the "Dusty Old Archives" contest.  I wanted to be able to pick any song that I wanted rather than wait for SOTM or an ABC or an Artistry to allow me to do it.  It got beat to death and then some.  I finally let it die out.  There are a lot of comps out here but why not a comp for the freshman class?  I'm with you on this - it's not a bad idea - it's just a question of, if there is enough interest to make it fly.  I even did a poll on who would support my idea and it had enough support but I think the writers were getting burned out on so many comps. and no one willing to devote the time to run them.  :)

Written By: DJ Blaze on 08/03/09 at 6:20 pm

Caleb - Not to worry.  Everytime a new idea is brought up it is beat to death by everyone.  This is minor compared to what I have seen.  I came up with an idea last summer called the "Dusty Old Archives" contest.  I wanted to be able to pick any song that I wanted rather than wait for SOTM or an ABC or an Artistry to allow me to do it.  It got beat to death and then some.  I finally let it die out.  There are a lot of comps out here but why not a comp for the freshman class?  I'm with you on this - it's not a bad idea - it's just a question of, if there is enough interest to make it fly.  I even did a poll on who would support my idea and it had enough support but I think the writers were getting burned out on so many comps. and no one willing to devote the time to run them.   :)

Thanks for clearing that up, Guy. Let's just say this one crashed and burned.

Written By: DoRitos on 08/03/09 at 8:05 pm

Thanks for clearing that up, Guy. Let's just say this one crashed and burned.

Caleb - Don't give up so easily.  This could go since it targets only the freshman class.  Seek out your classmen and parle' a bit.  The veteran writers would not have to deal with it since they would be ineligible to participate.  You may want to kick around the idea of letting anyone who has written 10 or more parodies that is not a freshman comment and vote in the comps or not.  That way it gives a choice to one and all to participate in some manner.  Or you could make it exclusive to freshmen only.  You need to get the word out to more people who are new to the site.  A lot of new writers don't even know that the message board exists.  When I first started writing here I was getting comments in my parodies about my name being mentioned on the message board.  I must have been on the site for a few months before I realized that a messageboard existed.  There were no comps back then either.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 08/03/09 at 8:57 pm

Caleb - Don't give up so easily.  This could go since it targets only the freshman class.  Seek out your classmen and parle' a bit.  The veteran writers would not have to deal with it since they would be ineligible to participate.  You may want to kick around the idea of letting anyone who has written 10 or more parodies that is not a freshman comment and vote in the comps or not.  That way it gives a choice to one and all to participate in some manner.  Or you could make it exclusive to freshmen only.  You need to get the word out to more people who are new to the site.  A lot of new writers don't even know that the message board exists.  When I first started writing here I was getting comments in my parodies about my name being mentioned on the message board.  I must have been on the site for a few months before I realized that a messageboard existed.  There were no comps back then either.

Good advice! I'm also thinking about starting what I call the "Teenage Parody Alliance", in which anyone who would be considered a teen can be in. What is it for? Not sure yet. But I know it'd be a good place for teenage writers to discuss parodies, contests, and other related material. I won't give up that easily. BTW, this is somewhat irrelevant, but my 404 parody is done. If nothing goes wrong on the site, it'll be there tomorrow.

P.S. I see you learned my real name from my comments on either "Big, Exploding Balloon", "Yozora No Muko Misheards" or my comment on Mark Scotti's "What I Hate About School".

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/03/09 at 9:19 pm

Caleb - Not to worry.  Everytime a new idea is brought up it is beat to death by everyone.  This is minor compared to what I have seen.  I came up with an idea last summer called the "Dusty Old Archives" contest.  I wanted to be able to pick any song that I wanted rather than wait for SOTM or an ABC or an Artistry to allow me to do it.  It got beat to death and then some.  I finally let it die out.  There are a lot of comps out here but why not a comp for the freshman class?  I'm with you on this - it's not a bad idea - it's just a question of, if there is enough interest to make it fly.  I even did a poll on who would support my idea and it had enough support but I think the writers were getting burned out on so many comps. and no one willing to devote the time to run them.  :)

I still think that idea could work to Guy, just a personal thing. . .I know there are a number of contests, but if it were limited to 'nothing that has earned a Gold medal in SOTM, ABC or Artistry' , I think that the "Dusty Old Archives" would be a fun light-hearted comp to add to the line up

Written By: DoRitos on 08/04/09 at 7:41 pm

I still think that idea could work to Guy, just a personal thing. . .I know there are a number of contests, but if it were limited to 'nothing that has earned a Gold medal in SOTM, ABC or Artistry' , I think that the "Dusty Old Archives" would be a fun light-hearted comp to add to the line up

BAD - Are you really up for trying to resurrect this idea?  Don't we have a few too many comps out here?  Who would run it?  I'd start and then the winner of the first round could run the second round and so on or not.  If a winner declines to run the next round then one of us regulars could pull up the slack or not.  And I think that we all discussed that no Gold in any comp could be used and it passed by majority vote - this is a good idea.  Soooo  who is up for trying this for a bit?

Written By: DoRitos on 08/04/09 at 7:45 pm

Good advice! I'm also thinking about starting what I call the "Teenage Parody Alliance", in which anyone who would be considered a teen can be in. What is it for? Not sure yet. But I know it'd be a good place for teenage writers to discuss parodies, contests, and other related material. I won't give up that easily. BTW, this is somewhat irrelevant, but my 404 parody is done. If nothing goes wrong on the site, it'll be there tomorrow.

P.S. I see you learned my real name from my comments on either "Big, Exploding Balloon", "Yozora No Muko Misheards" or my comment on Mark Scotti's "What I Hate About School".

And yes Caleb - I learned your name from reading about it in comments on one of those parodies you mentioned.  I think the teen writers association is a great idea.  You guys need to collaborate with those of the same age group.  Great idea.  Hit the bricks and start the hear ye hear ye's from the nearest stump. 

Written By: DJ Blaze on 08/04/09 at 8:18 pm

And yes Caleb - I learned your name from reading about it in comments on one of those parodies you mentioned.  I think the teen writers association is a great idea.  You guys need to collaborate with those of the same age group.  Great idea.  Hit the bricks and start the hear ye hear ye's from the nearest stump. 

Great! I'm thinking that since Silver Power has left me quite a few comments throughout my parody writing (and he's 16), he'd be interested. Also, I thought that a Parody Collaboration Series would be a good idea. We could team up with a buddy and write a parody together, submitting the lyrics piece by piece on a thread, then submitting the whole thing to AmIRight. That sound cool? And BTW, I always thought your A.I.R. screen name sounded like my fave chips, now it's your name on InThe00s!

Written By: DoRitos on 08/04/09 at 8:39 pm

Great! I'm thinking that since Silver Power has left me quite a few comments throughout my parody writing (and he's 16), he'd be interested. Also, I thought that a Parody Collaboration Series would be a good idea. We could team up with a buddy and write a parody together, submitting the lyrics piece by piece on a thread, then submitting the whole thing to AmIRight. That sound cool? And BTW, I always thought your A.I.R. screen name sounded like my fave chips, now it's your name on InThe00s!

Yes that idea sounds way cool.

That name selection was no coincident.  My A.I.R. name is my real name. my messageboard title is just a nickname based on my lastname.  See you tomorrow - I'm hittin' the hay.  it gets early really early around hear. 

Written By: DJ Blaze on 08/05/09 at 2:25 pm

Yes that idea sounds way cool.

That name selection was no coincident.  My A.I.R. name is my real name. my messageboard title is just a nickname based on my lastname.  See you tomorrow - I'm hittin' the hay.  it gets early really early around hear. 

I'll have to try these out sometime. When I get the Collaboration series up would you do a parody with me sometime?

Written By: DoRitos on 08/05/09 at 4:59 pm

I'll have to try these out sometime. When I get the Collaboration series up would you do a parody with me sometime?

Caleb - I've done a few parodies with other authors.  I found that I did not like doing that.  Also it involves a whole lot of emailing back and forth to get it finished and as I recall you have a problem with email.  Perhaps sometime in the future we could give it a shot but for now I just want to fly solo.  Sorry - I hope you understand.  :(

Written By: DJ Blaze on 08/05/09 at 5:45 pm

Caleb - I've done a few parodies with other authors.  I found that I did not like doing that.  Also it involves a whole lot of emailing back and forth to get it finished and as I recall you have a problem with email.  Perhaps sometime in the future we could give it a shot but for now I just want to fly solo.  Sorry - I hope you understand.   :(

Of course I do. That's perfectly fine by me.

Check for new replies or respond here...