inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: July 2009 SOTM Results Posted

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/10/09 at 12:31 am

Note to new participants: Welcome, and good luck. Please read all guidelines carefully. Especially, please make sure to read all the entries and vote by the end of the month. The SOTM is not so much a contest as a feedback exchange. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, either in this thread or via personal message. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

~~Vote by replying to this thread with your five favorites in order:
1st choice- 5 points
2nd place- 4 points
3rd place- 3 points
4th place- 2 points
5th place- 1 point.

~~You're not allowed to vote for your own song.

~~Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it.

~~Voting continues until the last day of the month ends.

~~Anyone who's participated in a SOTM contest may vote.

~~By entering, you are agreeing to read and comment on all the other entries and vote.

~~Anyone who enters but does not both comment on all entries and vote by the end of the month is disqualified and may not participate next month, while all points will be forfeited, an entrant who has been disqualified may still participate next month if (s)he goes back and comments on all entrants from the month (s)he got disqualified prior to the end of the entry field (s)he is trying to get involved in.

~~In the event of a tie, the parody with the most first place votes wins.
If it's still tied, the parody with the most second place votes wins. and so on
If the points total and votes are identical, it will be left as a legitimate tie

~~Any entrant whose votes don't show a time stamp prior to midnight on the last day of the month (ie. according to the "inthe00's meantime" clock as it appears BEFORE you log in - not a timezone corrected version) is disqualified, no exceptions.

~~A medal known as the FUCA shall be awarded to the highest ranking parody which did not make the month's podium and is of an original song which has not previously earned any medal

1. C is for Cookie by Matthias
   Nookie

2. Airfarcewon by DJ Blaze
   Open Arms

3. Baby Went Crap by Bryan and Joseph Podwys
   Baby Got Back

4. Amusement Park Rides by Mark Scotti
   American Pie

5. Sandwich Lover's Song by The Conqueror of Parodies
   Annie's Song

6. I'm Bored by Abbott Skelding
   I'm Yours

7. Mike Hunt Quite Tagged Is He by Guy DiRito
   My Country Tis' of Thee

8. Saving Hyrule by Medemia
   Right Field (Note: this is a cover/could not find original)

9. Grumpy, Happy, Dopey, Sneezy, Bashful, Doc and Sleaz-, oops Sleepy by Phil Alexander
   Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini

10. Sacristy in the Dark by Leo Keough
    Saturday in the Park

11. Two Presidents Ogling Behind by Peter Andersson
    Arrested for Driving While Behind

12. She's Lusty by Below Average Dave
    I'm Super

Subject: Re: July 2009 STOM Voting Thread

Written By: DoRitos on 08/10/09 at 4:47 am

July 2009 STOM Voting Thread?  I detect a fat finger fumble.  ;)

Subject: Re: July 2009 STOM Voting Thread

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/10/09 at 10:42 am

July 2009 STOM Voting Thread?  I detect a fat finger fumble.  ;)

Oops, yeah it's a new contest "Song Troff Of Month"

Subject: Re: July 2009 SOTM Voting Thread

Written By: DJ Blaze on 08/10/09 at 4:21 pm

This was a hard decision, but...

5th Place (1 Point): Medemia's tribute to Link
4th Place (2 Points): Abbott's not-so-great outdoors
3rd Place (3 Points): Guy's poorly-named Mike Hunt
2nd Place (4 Points): Matthias's ode to the real Cookie Monster
1st Place (5 Points): Mark Scotti's ballad of Amusement Park Rides

Written By: WeirdAbbott on 08/13/09 at 3:24 pm

This one was really hard to pick...there were a lot of good ones!

5th - Dave's "Lusty" tale
4th - Guy's story of a poorly named fellow
3rd - Mark's "amusing" ride
2nd - Phil's not a pure as driven Snow (White) spoof
1st - Matt's cry for "Me Want Cookies"

Written By: Matthias on 08/13/09 at 3:48 pm

This one was really hard to pick...there were a lot of good ones!

5th - Dave's "Lusty" tale
4th - Guy's story of a poorly named fellow
3rd - Mark's "amusing" ride
2nd - Phil's not a pure as driven Snow (White) spoof
1st - Matt's cry for "Me Want Cookies"

Thanks for the points!

Written By: DoRitos on 08/15/09 at 4:45 pm

Number 10  5 Points for Leo's bad habit.

Number 4  4 Points for Mark's ride into hell.

Number 9  3 Points for Phil's Ho White.

Number 11  2 Points for Peter's dicking around at the gee, ate?

Number 8  1  Point for Medemia's game youtube video.

Written By: scottim50 on 08/21/09 at 10:28 pm

5 points to Phil's Dirty dwarves
4 points to Guy's hunt for Mike
3 points to Leo's Sacristy
2 point to DJ's tribute
1 points to Matthias Cookie problem

Written By: K1chyd on 08/22/09 at 2:57 am

1 Point: "Sacristy In The Dark"

2 Points: "I'm Bored (The Not-So-Great Outdoors)"

3 Points: "Mike Hunt Quite Tagged Is He"

4 Points: "C Is For Cookie"

5 Points: "Grumpy, Happy, Dopey, Sneezy, Bashful, Doc and Sleaz-, oops Sleepy"

Written By: Matthias on 08/29/09 at 7:44 pm

5 Points: Mark's Amusment Park Rides
4 Points: Below Average Lust
3 Points: Abbott's Camping Trip
2 Points: Phil's Dwarves
1 Point: Peter's Presidental Peering

Written By: Leo Keough on 08/29/09 at 8:50 pm

Lots of talent on display here - tough to judge!!!

5 Points: Guy DiRito..."Mike Hunt Quite Tagged Is He"
4 Points: Mark Scotti..."Amusement Park Rides"
3 Points: Phil Alexander..."Grumpy, Happy, Dopey, Sneezy, Bashful, Doc and Sleaz-, oops Sleepy"
2 Points: Below Average Dave..."She's Lusty"
1 Point:  Peter Andersson..."Two Presidents Ogling Behind"

Written By: ThaConqueror on 08/31/09 at 3:13 am

waitformewaitformewaitformewaitformewaitformewaitformewaitformewaitformewaitformewaitforme

1 point to BAD Lust
2 points to M is for Matthias
3 points to Phil White
4 points to Bored Abbot
5 points to Mark vs. Amusement Park Rides

thanksguysthanksguysthanksguysthanksguysthanksguysthanksguysthanksguysthanksguysthanksguysthanksguys

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/31/09 at 10:09 am

This month's tough cut was Guy DiRito . . .

1 Point to The Conqueror of Parodies (Simple to be sure, but it was just fun all around)

2 Points to Abbott Skelding (Not nearly as boring as the character in the song, and fun OS to top it off)

3 Points to Mark Scotti (Despite the rhyming, the humor pushed it over.  This could have been number one if the rhyming had been a tad tighter)

4 Points to Phil Alexander (Seeing the Dwarf side of it after having heard Spaff's Snow White angle, was very fun, and to a fun OS. . .plus I don't think that it's ever against the rules to be inspired by another great author--especially one as great as Spaff--similar but different enough to warrant a spot of it's own)

5 Points to Matthias (This was, in my honest opinion, the easiest first place choice I've had for an SOTM for awhile, lots of good parodies, but this one pushed over the top with the difficulty of the OS, the nature of the speech used (so to speak anyway), the rhyming, and in every other way--this parody was great on a technical level AND on a comedy level--great job Matty)

Written By: philbo on 08/31/09 at 3:02 pm

5 points - #1. C is for Cookie by Matthias
4 points - #11. Two Presidents Ogling Behind by Peter Andersson
3 points - #10. Sacristy in the Dark by Leo Keough
2 points - #7. Mike Hunt Quite Tagged Is He by Guy DiRito
1 point  - #8. Saving Hyrule by Medemia

Written By: Medemia on 08/31/09 at 10:11 pm

5 pts: C is for Cookie by Matthias
4 pts:  Two Presidents Ogling Behind by Peter Andersson
3 pts:  Mike Hunt Quite Tagged Is He by Guy DiRito
2 pts:  Amusement Park Rides by Mark Scotti
1 pt:  Sandwich Lover's Song by The Conqueror of Parodies

Written By: Matthias on 08/31/09 at 10:25 pm

Wow... 5 first places in a row!
Thanks U Guys!!!

Written By: Matthias on 08/31/09 at 11:39 pm

I'm happy to post these results because for the first time in Song Of The Month history I WON for a MONTH!!!!!!!!
(If somebody wants to burst my bubble and recalculate these votes they're more than welcome to cause I must have made an error somewhere)

In 1st Place with (31 Points and 4 5's) is Matthias with "C Is For Cookie"

In 2nd Place with (31 Points and 3 5's) is Mark Scotti with "Amusement Park Rides"

And...

In 3rd Place with (29 Points) is Phil Alexander with "Grumpy, Happy, Dopey, Sneezy, Bashful, Doc and Sleaz-, oops Sleepy"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4th: Guy DiRito (22 Points) <<FUCA Winner
5th: Weird Abbott (13 points)
6th: Leo Keough (12 points) (TIE BREAK: More 1st Place Votes)
7th: Peter Andersson (12 points)
8th: Below Average Dave (8 points)
9th: Medemia (3 points)
10th: DJ Blaze (2 points) (TIE BREAK: More 4th Place Votes)
11th: Conqueror of Parodies (2 points)

DQs: Bryan and Joseph Podwys (Who forfeited 0 Points)

Thanks to all who voted for my Cookie Monster (And congrats to Mark Scotti and Phil Alexander!)

Written By: Below Average Dave on 09/01/09 at 12:31 am

Please note--I have altered many things on this result post. . .as was necessary, I have notified Matthias by PM what I edited. . .

Subject: Re: July 2009 SOTM Results Posted

Written By: DoRitos on 09/01/09 at 3:45 am

:)  Congratulations to Matt, Mark and Phil.  :) This round shows one of the closest finishes that I can remember witnessing - a real nail biter to the very end.  This is my first FUCA win.  Considering the name of the placing and the subject matter of my parody the name seems most apropos.  Thanks all!  ;D

Written By: philbo on 09/01/09 at 6:52 am

Well done Matti & Mark.. and everyone else, especially the newly ex-virgin FUCA :)

Well, I seem to have broken my fourth-or-fifth place run for a change :)  Thanks all for supporting my little bit of smut.. it has gone down rather well when performed, too (especially with someone to do the "2, 3, 4.." lines)

Written By: Matthias on 09/01/09 at 9:42 am

As I said congrats to Phil and Mark...

I'm personally glad that a parody of Limp Bizkit won for this round, because I used to think that people on Amiright are only going to like and vote for popular songs that came out in the 60's or 70's (Which is true for both "American Pie", and "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" but the farthest from the truth when it comes to "Nookie" it could be that we're getting younger people intrested in the world of parody and they tend to listen to these more popular by today's standards songs, or because of the Epic 40 that me and Dave created we're getting more people intrested in modern music. Either way I'm very happy to see a song of that nature win and not just because I wrote it  ;))

Written By: DJ Blaze on 09/01/09 at 11:08 am

Thanks to all who voted and commented my song, and congrats to Matthias, Mark, Phil, and Guy!

Written By: K1chyd on 09/01/09 at 12:35 pm

Congrats to the medalists and especially Matthias for his long overdue first win - Goes to prove that it pays off in ever increasing skill to hang in there.

Speaking of which I myself won't next month because a long period of (luckily non-permanent) sickness paired with other personal problems have stopped me from getting in the mood to write anything new in August - as always I'll try to find the time to read, judge and vote what the rest of you comes up with though.

Fly-By Observation Additional: From the SOTM trivia observation ER :D I can report that while updating the FUCA list I somehow noticed that "Nookie" is the first ever original song to start with "N" to get a SOTM medal (and that list now holds 202 posts!). Furthermore the four letters Q, X, Z and K are still missing that way. Q, X and Z I can understand, but K? Is there really no Golden Oldies (or Contemporary Classics) beginning with the letter K?  ???

*goes on to ponder but can't come up with a single one*

Written By: Matthias on 09/01/09 at 12:40 pm

Congrats to the medalists and especially Matthias for his long overdue first win - Goes to prove that it pays off in ever increasing skill to hang in there.

Speaking of which I myself won't next month because a long period of (luckily non-permanent) sickness paired with other personal problems have stopped me from getting in the mood to write anything new in August - as always I'll try to find the time to read, judge and vote what the rest of you comes up with though.

Fly-By Observation Additional: From the SOTM trivia observation ER :D I can report that while updating the FUCA list I somehow noticed that "Nookie" is the first ever original song to start with "N" to get a SOTM medal (and that list now holds 202 posts!). Furthermore the four letters Q, X, Z and K are still missing that way. Q, X and Z I can understand, but K? Is there really no Golden Oldies (or Contemporary Classics) beginning with the letter K?  ???

*goes on to ponder but can't come up with a single one*

I can't believe nobody has podiumed with "Killer Queen"... Well, We do have Kristof who has made the letter K into the SOTM podiums enough times to make up for it.

Check for new replies or respond here...