inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ABC5 (P) RESULTS POSTED!!!

Written By: Below Average Dave on 09/04/09 at 11:55 pm

Welcome to the
ABC5 (P)
Voting Thread

Voting deadline for ABC5(P) is by the end of the day according to AmIRight
Friday September 18th
No votes date-stamped after the voting deadline will be accepted - no exceptions

Vote by replying to this thread with your five favorites in order:

1st choice........5 points
2nd place.........4 points
3rd place..........3 points
4th place..........2 points
5th place..........1 point

or in algebraic terms, p = 6 - r    (p=points, r=rank)

RULES
- Any parody beginning with the current letter is eligible, except parodies that have been entered into ABC1 or ABC2 or ABC3 or ABC4
- You're not allowed to vote for your own parody
- Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it
- Anyone who's participated in any previous ABC contest may vote
- Any entrant who hasn't left a comment on all entries is disqualified and may not participate in the next letter
- Any entrant who doesn't vote by the voting deadline (above) is disqualified and may not participate in the next letter

ALSO
Under no circumstances will a vote that missed the voting deadline be accepted (even by 1 second)
However the resulting disqualification from entry to the next ABC5 comp may be over-ruled, if you do the following...

1.  Post an "appeal" on this thread giving your excuse for missing the deadline, and plead for mercy
  2.  If your plea wins the sympathy of 3 other entrants your disqualification from the next round will be overturned
        Your late votes will still not count though 
        (if less than 4 entrants in the comp, only 2 sympathetic "Thumbs Ups" are required)

and the entries are.........

1. PleaseStopMakingParodiesofAvril'sComplicated by Red Ant
    Supercalifragilisticexpiolodosious

2. P. Rangers by DJ Blaze
    Teenagers

3. Planet of Bacteria by Matthias
    Jesus of Suburbia

4. Prince by The Conqueror of Parodies
    Stand

5. Pfffft! by Agrimorfee
    Young at Heart

6. Poke Her Face by Silver Power
    Poker Face

7. Prequel to Stan by Stu McArthur
    Stan

8. Panophobia by Abbott Skelding
    Animal I Have Become

9. Entry is Pined for Her Delight by Timmy1000
    Blinded by the Light

10. Pure Mob by Guy DiRito
      Your Song

11. Plugs in Sockets by Mark Scotti
      Brass in Pocket

12. Pluck the Matted Back Hairs by Leo Keough
      Puff, The Magic Dragon

13. Price Hike, Price Gouge by Melanie Lee
      Sunrise, Sunset

14. Pee-On by Below Average Dave
      Kid Rock

Subject: Re: ABC5 (P) Voting Thread Deadline: 9/18/2009

Written By: Silver Power on 09/05/09 at 11:44 pm

Really fun round this time. Last contest for me before school starts.

5 points: Prequel to Stan by Stu McArthur
4 points: Pee-On by Below Average Dave
3 points: Pfffft! by Agrimorfee
2 points: P. Rangers by DJ Blaze
1 point: PleaseStopMakingParodiesofAvril'sComplicated by Red Ant

HM to everyone else.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 09/06/09 at 3:10 pm

5 Points to Leo Keough's hairy situation
4 Points to Stu McArthur's prequel to the toughest OS ever
3 Points to Matthias's bacteria
2 Points to Silver Power's mole addiction
1 Point to Mark Scotti's Frank

HM to Melanie Lee, Guy DiRito, Red Ant, and everyone else

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/11/09 at 3:53 pm

5pts=Silver Power
4pts=Matthias
3pts=Stu
2pts=Timmy
1pt=Leo

HM to everyone else, no real clinkers here at all; the 5 above made me laugh out loud more.

Written By: Timmy1000 on 09/13/09 at 7:49 pm

5 points to Stu
4 points to Leo
3 points to Guy
2 points to Dave
1 point to Mark

HM to rest - this was a really tough, high quality round.

Timmy1k

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 09/14/09 at 11:49 pm

5 points..................PleaseStopMakingParodiesofAvril'sComplicated by Red Ant
4 points..................Panophobia by Abbott Skelding
3 points..................Entry is Pined for Her Delight by Timmy1000
2 points..................Pluck the Matted Back Hairs by Leo Keough
1 point...................Prince by The Conqueror of Parodies

Written By: DoRitos on 09/15/09 at 4:48 am

Number 13  -  5 points - Melanie Lee
Number 09  -  4 points - Timmy1000
Number 12  -  3 points - Leo Koegh
Number 11  -  2 points - Mark Scotti
Number 01  -  1 points - Red Ant

Written By: ThaConqueror on 09/16/09 at 5:55 am

1 point to SuperRedAntFragiListicRagingAliDocious
2 points to BAD Brown Nosing
3 points to Stu Writes to Slim Santa
4 points to Matthias vs. Alien Science
5 points to Blaze's Evil Power Rangers

Written By: Leo Keough on 09/16/09 at 10:48 am

I'm not a big fan of HMs, but the quality of work displayed in this round was such that I'd give HMs to everyone not listed below!!!

5 Points: Timmy1000..."Pined for Her Delight"
4 Points: Stu McArthur..."Prequel to Stan"
3 Points: Guy DiRito..."Pure Mob"
2 Points: Below Average Dave..."Pee-On"
1 Point:  Agrimorfee..."Pfffft!"

Written By: scottim50 on 09/16/09 at 12:36 pm

5 points to Timmy's pining
4 points for Guy's Mob "Hit"
3 points to Leo's "hairy' problem
2 points to Red Ant's uncomplication
1 point to DJ's rangers

Written By: DJ Blaze on 09/16/09 at 3:59 pm

1 point to SuperRedAntFragiListicRagingAliDocious
2 points to BAD Brown Nosing
3 points to Stu Writes to Slim Santa
4 points to Matthias vs. Alien Science
5 points to Blaze's Evil Power Rangers

Seriously? A perfect 5 point score?! Thanks a million!!! This is my first ever 5-Point vote from someone. Glad to see you liked it!

Written By: WeirdAbbott on 09/16/09 at 9:39 pm

Nice job to everyone!! But here is my top 5.

5 Pts. "Poke Her Face"
4 Pts. "Prequel to Stan"
3 Pts. "Planet of Bacteria"
2 Pts. "Pee-On"
1 Pt.  "P. Rangers"

Nice job everyone!!

Written By: Leo Keough on 09/17/09 at 5:30 am

I read this morning that Mary Travers of Peter, Paul and Mary passed away yesterday.

In view of that unfortunate development, and if it's possible to do so without causing a lot of problems, I'd like to withdraw my entry from the ABC5(P) round to show my respect.  I would like to thank those who voted for my parody, but I wouldn't feel right accepting those votes, considering the circumstances.

If my interpretation of the rules is correct, the points I gave to others in this round should still stand, since I have participated in earlier ABC competitions.  And my eligibility for future rounds should not be affected.

Leo Keough

Written By: scottim50 on 09/17/09 at 7:15 am

if leo's withdrawl is official(in my opinion, he should NOT!)
then my 3 pts goes to Agrimorfee

Written By: Below Average Dave on 09/17/09 at 10:36 am

I read this morning that Mary Travers of Peter, Paul and Mary passed away yesterday.

In view of that unfortunate development, and if it's possible to do so without causing a lot of problems, I'd like to withdraw my entry from the ABC5(P) round to show my respect.  I would like to thank those who voted for my parody, but I wouldn't feel right accepting those votes, considering the circumstances.

If my interpretation of the rules is correct, the points I gave to others in this round should still stand, since I have participated in earlier ABC competitions.  And my eligibility for future rounds should not be affected.

Leo Keough

This creates a host of problems actually.

There is a precedent set on vote changing, when someone is DQ'd it makes it to where remaining voters know one person not to vote for, and prior voters the opposite.

I don't think Mary would want you to withdraw from the competition Leo, furthermore you already voted--that's something that's never been asked, for someone to discredit their own vote. . .please reconsider what you are saying, I understand your reasoning, but things happen--and I highly doubt Mary would want you to do that based on her personality and character.

Additionally. . .

Mark Scotti--if he were to actually be granted a DQ despite voting--unfortunately the rule about not changing votes can't be changed.  Additionally, simply replacing a spot with another person is kinda unfair to the person you voted 4th and 5th, by moving one person into a spot in place of another, you are saying all the sudden that the person you put in the spot now gets more points than the 4th, and 5th, if such a rule ever took place, 4th/5th would move up a spot, and you'd place a new person in 5th, that'd be the only fair way to do it. . .but we've had something similar to this before except that the person hadn't voted yet. . .it created a mess in the end result. . .which is why I am hopeful that Leo will reconsider this thoughtful but truly unnecessary motion.

Written By: Leo Keough on 09/17/09 at 10:50 am

Dave, as I indicated earlier, I didn't want to withdraw my entry if it was going to cause problems with the competition.  Since you say it will cause problems, then I will leave my entry in.  Thanks for your advice on the matter.  And at least everyone knows how I feel.

Leo

Written By: Red Ant on 09/18/09 at 6:01 pm

I'm probably going to miss the deadline - looks like I'm not alone in that regard.  :-Ant

Written By: Melanie Lee on 09/18/09 at 6:05 pm

I'm probably going to miss the deadline - looks like I'm not alone in that regard.  :-Ant

I wouldn't mind a one-day extension either--but I am going to try to get it done tonight, starting right now.  :o

Written By: DoRitos on 09/18/09 at 6:12 pm

I'm probably going to miss the deadline - looks like I'm not alone in that regard.  :-Ant

I wouldn't mind a one-day extension either--but I am going to try to get it done tonight, starting right now.   :o

I have no objections to an extension as long as the late bloomers vote for my entry.  ;)  ::)  There are about four writers who have not voted yet.  But of course this is Dave's call.

Written By: Matthias on 09/18/09 at 7:09 pm

I would also take huge advantage of another day to vote... Work has been killer lately, and I haven't really had the time to read all of those parodies.

Written By: Melanie Lee on 09/18/09 at 8:49 pm

I've found that if I read a little of the parody, then listen to a little of the OS, and then read the parody while listening to the OS, I enjoy the parody more!  Congratulations, all!  An excellent crop of spoofs!

5 points:  PleaseStopMakingParodiesofAvril'sComplicated by Red Ant
4 points:  P. Rangers by DJ Blaze
3 points:  Pluck the Matted Back Hairs by Leo Keough
2 points:  Prince by The Conqueror of Parodies
1 point:  Plugs in Sockets by Mark Scotti

HM: Pure Mob by Guy DiRito

...and everyone else!

Written By: Below Average Dave on 09/19/09 at 8:34 am

I got so sick yesterday, I couldn't get to the computer myself

Thank goodness you guys all requested an extension before the deadline.. next time someone call me. . .GRANTED!!!!

Subject: Re: ABC5 (P) Voting Thread Deadline: 9/19/2009

Written By: Below Average Dave on 09/19/09 at 10:04 am

For those who are curious. . .

Pee On is a term that is meant to be used in similar notion to that of 'peon' (as Melanie Lee mentioned), but Pee On was intentional. . .I first heard it used to describe the corporate ladder at age 18.  We are all 'Pissed on' from those above us in the corporate world is the basic principle.  It's not so much a new term, as a rare one--and like other terms (XYZ for example) I like to write tributes to fun terms to describe common situations:)

Anyhow, this was a very difficult round, I had 9 contenders written down on my paper. . .

I ultimately had to pick 5. . .so these honorable mentions--really do deserve points too
DJ Blaze, The Conqueror of Parodies, Timmy1000, and Leo Keough (Hard to believe you wanted to DQ yourself)

1 Point to Matthias (Very difficult parody to do because of it's length, it was so unique that it crept into my top 5, though tighter pacing and a little more time could have put this over the top)

2 Points to Abbott (Nothing to improve on this one, just one of those rounds where there were many great ones, this one got some big laughs for me though, the idea of a guy being scared of spiders, but scared to run away also just got me cracking up hard)

3 Points to Silver Power (Again, nothing to improve here, the whole idea of an electronic dance song about a mole was funny as heck, and the execution was brilliant)

4 Points to Red Ant (Yeah-read the comment on the parody to understand)

5 Points to Stu (Almost seems like despite the amazing talent in this round, this parody stands in it's own class with an advantage (hardest song to parody of the bunch and the most veteran writer of us))

Written By: DJ Blaze on 09/19/09 at 10:23 am

That's cool that we're giving this one more day. Thanks to everyone who has voted so far. Dave, you said you were very sick? I know how that feels. I had a bad fever a while back, and it kept me from writing for a while. I'll be praying for you, Dave. Anyways, this is probably my most successful contest yet. I'm very surprised that so many of you voted for me!

Signed,
DJ BLAZE

Written By: Matthias on 09/19/09 at 6:54 pm

5 Points: Silver Power's Mole
4 Points: Red Ant's Complications
3 Points: Leo's Back Hair
2 Points: Below Average Dave's Cowboy
1 Point: Weird Abbott's Fear

Written By: Red Ant on 09/19/09 at 10:09 pm

Wow, tough round! Great work everyone, but in the end, there can be only five, so:

5 points to Prequel to Stan
4 points to Poke Her Face
3 points Pee-On
2 points to Pluck The Matted Back Hairs
1 point to Pine For Her Delight

Ant

Written By: Below Average Dave on 09/20/09 at 2:58 am

Results are in, no DQ's. . and a back and fourth nail biter--well except for the winner. . .but the rest of the pack was tightly packed.

1st Stu McArthur "Prequel to Stan" with 38 Points

2nd Leo Keough "Pluck the Matted Back Hairs" with 26 Points

3rd Silver Power "Poke Her Face" with 24 Points

4th Red Ant with 23 Points

5th Timmy1000 with 20 Points

6th Below Average Dave with 17 Points

7th Matthias with 15 Points

8th DJ Blaze with 13 Points

9th Guy DiRito with 10 Points

10th Abbott Skelding with 7 Points

11th Melanie Lee with 5 Points
11th Mark Scotti with 5 Points

13th Agrimorfee with 4 Points

14th The Conqueror of Parodies with 3 Points

NO 0's!!!!

Subject: Re: ABC5 (P) RESULTS POSTED!!!

Written By: DoRitos on 09/20/09 at 7:03 am

Congrats to Stu - again  ;) - You write well you deserve it.  And Leo - I hope you are happy that you were talked out of DQing yourself - you took silver!  Well done.  Also congrats to Silver Power for securing 3rd.  Good round by all and thanks, Dave for granting the extension even though you were one who missed the deadline.  ::)  Hope you are feeling better now.  Time to move on to "QR".  See most of you there.

Written By: Red Ant on 09/20/09 at 12:12 pm

Congratulations to Stu, Leo and Silver Power, and thanks to all who voted for my parody!

Ant

Written By: Leo Keough on 09/20/09 at 4:11 pm

Congrats to Stu and Silver Power!!! 

And great work by everyone else!!!

Written By: Timmy1000 on 09/20/09 at 5:00 pm

Congrats to Stu, Leo and Silver Power.  There was a lot of excellent songs in this one.  Stu, I'm still laughing on your prequel and have showed it to a few non-Amirighters, while listening to the OS and they loved it too.

I'll be back for another but not the QR.

T1K

Written By: DJ Blaze on 09/20/09 at 6:38 pm

Thanks for the respectable 8th Place votes! Highest I've done so far, believe it or not. And congrats to Stu McArthur (kudos for tackling the toughest OS ever), Leo Keough (good thing you didn't withdraw, buddy!), and Silver Power (one of this contest's best title switches, my good man!)! Everyone did great, and I wish I could vote a 1st Place vote to each of you. Hey, 555s should be OK for now.

Sincerely,
DJ BLAZE

Written By: WeirdAbbott on 09/20/09 at 8:53 pm

Congrats to everyone, expecially those who voted for me...I gotta write better stuff than 10th place material  ::)

Written By: Silver Power on 09/21/09 at 12:35 pm

Congratulations to everyone in the contest. I stayed home from school today sick as hell... Hope it's not H1N1, but the symptoms seem similar though.. Oh well, fingers crossed.

Special congrats to Stu and Leo... You guys deserved 1st and 2nd, and not even Kanye could take that from you.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 09/21/09 at 12:54 pm

Congratulations to everyone in the contest. I stayed home from school today sick as hell... Hope it's not H1N1, but the symptoms seem similar though.. Oh well, fingers crossed.

Special congrats to Stu and Leo... You guys deserved 1st and 2nd, and not even Kanye could take that from you.

Luckily, those symptoms are also similar to the regular flue virus, but good luck--I'll hope for you!

Written By: DJ Blaze on 09/22/09 at 6:15 pm

Oh man, that does not sound good. First me, then Dave, now Silver? Nice new avatar Torey.

Written By: Silver Power on 09/22/09 at 6:21 pm

Gracias, DJ. You should make a full-time account on inthe00s so you can have an avatar as well! You seem to come here often enough!

Written By: DJ Blaze on 09/22/09 at 6:58 pm

Gracias, DJ. You should make a full-time account on inthe00s so you can have an avatar as well! You seem to come here often enough!

I would, but (I've said this many times) I have no email. It comes from being 15 and having good parents who are concerned for my safety. I'll get an email, an InThe00s account, a MySpace, a Zenius-I-Vanisher account, and much more when I get a laptop.

Written By: Silver Power on 09/22/09 at 7:39 pm

If you want, I could make you an e-mail, give you the password, and you can change it once you get on. Screw MySpace , who needs that when you have InThe00s?!

Written By: DJ Blaze on 09/23/09 at 10:58 am

If you want, I could make you an e-mail, give you the password, and you can change it once you get on. Screw MySpace , who needs that when you have InThe00s?!

That would be awesome! Keep my name as DJ Blaze if you don't mind.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 09/24/09 at 12:17 am

Hey thanks everyone for voting for my Prequel.  Sorry for the late response, but I'm up at the snow here in Oz.

That would have been the most wrok I ever put into a parody and it must have taken me over a month of hard slog.  I'm glad to have the opportunity to trot it out again, which is the beauty of the ABC comps.  That does clean me out of Ps though.

Stu, I'm still laughing on your prequel and have showed it to a few non-Amirighters, while listening to the OS and they loved it too.

Thanks Timmy - great to hear the comp has given it a wider audience.

Congrats to Leo and Silver Power too - tough comp when there's 14 entries.

and thanks also to old-timers Matthias and Red Ant and others for their kind comments on the parody itself - in case I don't get around to responding there.

See you in the Q/R s, where I apologise in advance for trotting out another old warhorse (bottom of my Q/R barrel now too ;))

Written By: DJ Blaze on 09/24/09 at 10:16 am

DJ Blaze, this is your new account that I made you. Reply to this message, and I will give you the password. But you have to change it as soon as you get it.

-Torey/SP-

Written By: The unregistered DJ Blaze on 09/24/09 at 2:54 pm

DJ Blaze, this is your new account that I made you. Reply to this message, and I will give you the password. But you have to change it as soon as you get it.

-Torey/SP-

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you ect. ect. ect.!!!!! Alright, what's the password, Torey? I'll change it as soon as I see the message.

About an avatar, it might be a while before I can post an actual pic of myself. It's been a while since I got a good picture of myself, and I want to get it as recent as possible. However, I have a horrible acne problem right now. Once that clears up, I'll put up a real avatar of me. However, I will put some anime character (possibly Pokemon's Blaziken) as my avatar until then. Thanks again Silver Power!

Written By: Silver Power on 09/24/09 at 2:56 pm

The password is djblaze

Written By: DJ Blaze on 09/24/09 at 3:08 pm

The password is djblaze

Not anymore it isn't! Thanks again! A different avatar is coming soon. LOLed at the old password. Very obvious.

Written By: Medemia on 09/24/09 at 4:04 pm

Yay!  Now Blaze can edit his messages -- and get Karamel  :D

Written By: DJ Blaze on 09/24/09 at 4:12 pm

Yay!  Now Blaze can edit his messages -- and get Karamel  :D

Yeah, I need to edit my messages a lot, I make lots of mistakes. I have a Karamel Sutra of 1 right now. We all gotta start somewhere, right? Just participated in some forum games recently. I have a feeling this will be addicting, Medemia. Say, how about I add you to my buddy list?

Written By: Medemia on 09/24/09 at 4:16 pm

Sounds good.  I have no buddies (Yeah, I ain't got no buddies...)

Written By: DJ Blaze on 09/24/09 at 4:17 pm

Sounds good.  I have no buddies (Yeah, I ain't got no buddies...)

Done and done! Too bad you ain't got no buds until now...

Written By: Silver Power on 09/24/09 at 10:17 pm

Yeah, I need to edit my messages a lot, I make lots of mistakes. I have a Karamel Sutra of 1 right now. We all gotta start somewhere, right? Just participated in some forum games recently. I have a feeling this will be addicting, Medemia. Say, how about I add you to my buddy list?

And guess who gave you your first Karamel?

Check for new replies or respond here...