inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: August 2009 RESULTS POSTED

Written By: Below Average Dave on 09/10/09 at 9:47 pm

Note to new participants: Welcome, and good luck. Please read all guidelines carefully. Especially, please make sure to read all the entries and vote by the end of the month. The SOTM is not so much a contest as a feedback exchange. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, either in this thread or via personal message. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

~~Vote by replying to this thread with your five favorites in order:
1st choice- 5 points
2nd place- 4 points
3rd place- 3 points
4th place- 2 points
5th place- 1 point.

~~You're not allowed to vote for your own song.

~~Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it.

~~Voting continues until the last day of the month ends.

~~Anyone who's participated in a SOTM contest may vote.

~~By entering, you are agreeing to read and comment on all the other entries and vote.

~~Anyone who enters but does not both comment on all entries and vote by the end of the month is disqualified and may not participate next month, while all points will be forfeited, an entrant who has been disqualified may still participate next month if (s)he goes back and comments on all entrants from the month (s)he got disqualified prior to the end of the entry field (s)he is trying to get involved in.

~~In the event of a tie, the parody with the most first place votes wins.
If it's still tied, the parody with the most second place votes wins. and so on
If the points total and votes are identical, it will be left as a legitimate tie

~~Any entrant whose votes don't show a time stamp prior to midnight on the last day of the month (ie. according to the "inthe00's meantime" clock as it appears BEFORE you log in - not a timezone corrected version) is disqualified, no exceptions.

~~A medal known as the FUCA shall be awarded to the highest ranking parody which did not make the month's podium and is of an original song which has not previously earned any medal

1. Slack Plastic Woman by Phil Alexander
   Black Magic Woman

2. He's Still a Frog by Matthias
It's Just a Thought

3. And I Guess That's Why They Call Me the Blue by Medemia
   I Guess That's Why They Call it the Blues

4. I Am A Sweaty Teenager with Acne, Zits & Nose Oil by DJ Blaze
   I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major General

5. Now You Defend a Silent Fart by Mark Scotti
   How Do You Mend a Broken Heart

6. Breaking Stuff in Vegas by Arwen
   Waking Up in Vegas

7. Cops'll Getcha by Guy DiRito
   Come Together

8. I Wannabe a Race Car by Bulldogma
   Rockstar

9. Billy Don't be an Emo by The Conqueror of Parodies
   Billy, Don't be a Hero

10. I Killed You (You're So Heavy) by Max Power
    I Want You (She's So Heavy)

Subject: Re: August 2009 Voting Thread

Written By: Bulldogma on 09/26/09 at 8:23 pm

I hope I'm doing this right (I've been known to make some flubs before).

OMG! I have NO idea how to narrow it down - most of these had me laughing until tears came out of my eyes (as opposed to coming out of my elbows because that would just be weird). I kinda felt like I had to flip a coin on some of these because they're all so different and all so entertaining.  SO... here goes...

1. (5 pts.)  And I Guess That's Why They Call Me the Blue by Medemia     
2. (4 pts.)  Cops'll Getcha by Guy DiRito                                             
3. (3 pts.)  Breaking Stuff in Vegas by Arwen
4. (2 pts.)  Now You Defend a Silent Fart by Mark Scotti
5. (1 pt.)    I Am A Sweaty Teenager with Acne, Zits & Nose Oil by DJ Blaze

Bulldogma

Written By: Below Average Dave on 09/27/09 at 3:54 am

OMG! I have NO idea how to narrow it down - most of these had me laughing until tears came out of my eyes (as opposed to coming out of my elbows because that would just be weird). I kinda felt like I had to flip a coin on some of these because they're all so different and all so entertaining.  SO... here goes...

1. And I Guess That's Why They Call Me the Blue by Medemia
2. Cops'll Getcha by Guy DiRito
3. Breaking Stuff in Vegas by Arwen
4. Now You Defend a Silent Fart by Mark Scotti
5. I Am A Sweaty Teenager with Acne, Zits & Nose Oil by DJ Blaze

Bulldogma

Yep, you did it right, welcome to SOTM!

Written By: K1chyd on 09/27/09 at 11:34 am

I hope I'm doing this right...

For safety you could clarify whether "1" is your number one ranked or the one you give 1 point, because there's no rule on if the number one ranked should come first or last on the list (personally I prefer last, to build whatever reading suspense is possible, as my own list in the next post will show.

BTW: In case you wonder why there's a commenter/voter (me) who's not in with a song of his own it's because once you've participated in a round you can do that, and I'm a regular who just sits out this particular round. There might be others coming in on the last days to do the same, but normally (since we're in more often than out) it's usually only one or two.

Written By: K1chyd on 09/27/09 at 11:38 am

If I'm reading the first voter's list correctly we already have a trend for the medals, cos then my top two is the same:

1 Point: "I Want To Be A Race Car"

2 Points: "Breaking Stuff In Vegas"

3 Points: "Slack Plastic Woman"

4 Points: "Cops'll Getcha"

5 Points: "And I Guess That's Why They Call Me The Blue"

EDIT: Spelling error.

Written By: DoRitos on 09/27/09 at 12:46 pm

Number 4  5 Points for DJ's pimped out MG.

Number 5  4 Points for Mark's Scotti's potty.

Number 3  3 Points for Med's foul balls.

Number 1  2 Points for Phil's plastic surgery.

Number 8  1 Point for Bulldogma's all left turn driving.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 09/27/09 at 7:27 pm

Guy: please se my comment on your comment on your parody. It's vital in order to fully appreciate the parody (ie not get the entirely wrong message).

Written By: DoRitos on 09/27/09 at 10:33 pm

Guy: please se my comment on your comment on your parody. It's vital in order to fully appreciate the parody (ie not get the entirely wrong message).

I have and suicide is mentioned twice in the parody.  Once as describing the act of sliting wrists and on another occasion the word suicide is actually used. i commented back to you on amiright.  If I missed the point than maybe you should insure that your point is made more clearly.  Sorry.  i have been a suicide survivor (that is a perosn who knows someone who has complleted a suicide) twice now in my life so I find any reference to it to have no humor about it at all, so even if it is explained to me what the parody is about I will most certainly not change my feeling on the subject.  The subject always brings back very bad feeling for me.  Sorry.  I felt at fault in both suicides so no amount of "it's not your fault" will change my views on the matter.  One was a family member and the other was a writer here on amiright.

Written By: scottim50 on 09/28/09 at 3:26 pm

5 points - Guy'll getcha
4 points - Arwen's breakings
3 points - Bulldogma's race car
2 points - Phil's fantastic plastic
1 point - DJ's acne

Written By: ThaConqueror on 09/29/09 at 7:58 am

I have and suicide is mentioned twice in the parody.  Once as describing the act of sliting wrists and on another occasion the word suicide is actually used. i commented back to you on amiright.  If I missed the point than maybe you should insure that your point is made more clearly.  Sorry.  i have been a suicide survivor (that is a perosn who knows someone who has complleted a suicide) twice now in my life so I find any reference to it to have no humor about it at all, so even if it is explained to me what the parody is about I will most certainly not change my feeling on the subject.  The subject always brings back very bad feeling for me.  Sorry.  I felt at fault in both suicides so no amount of "it's not your fault" will change my views on the matter.  One was a family member and the other was a writer here on amiright.

Oh. I see. Sorry about what you went through, I didn't mean to offend your (or anybody else for that matter), so I deeply apologize, many times. No hard feelings (I hope)?

Anywho, back to business...

1 point to Silent But Scotti
2 points to Matthias The Frog-Snogger
3 points to Dj Zit-Face
4 points to Viva Las Arwen
5 points to Cop Dirito

HM to Bulldogma - keep 'em comin', kiddo (sorry if you turn out to not actually be a kid)!

Written By: Arwen on 09/29/09 at 1:41 pm

5 points for Guy
4 points for Phil
3 points for Medemia
2 points for Bulldogma
1 point for DJ

Written By: DJ Blaze on 09/29/09 at 4:01 pm

5 to Guy's police posse
4 to Arwen's Vegas smashdown
3 to Matthias's frogs gone wild
2 to Conqueror's emo
1 to Mark's toiletry

Written By: Max Power on 09/29/09 at 7:15 pm

5pts - Guy beating Rodney King

4pts - Mafia kissing a frog

3pts - Emo Cop

2pts - DJ's acne problems

1pts - Mark's fart

HM: Everyone else

Written By: DoRitos on 09/29/09 at 8:50 pm

Oh. I see. Sorry about what you went through, I didn't mean to offend your (or anybody else for that matter), so I deeply apologize, many times. No hard feelings (I hope)?

Anywho, back to business...

Hey COP - No hard feelings - how were you to know?  I don't fault you for your parody, heck I'd probably write about suicide myself if I were not so affected by it.  I deal with the guilt feelings.  I know intellectually that it was not my fault in either case but my heart says differently, if you can understand that.  The second time it touched me was last November and it was an author on amiright who I was helping deal with a spouse that committed suicide 22 months earlier.  It was meant to be a murder suicide but the amiright author survived though horribly crippled - shot in the back with a shotgun and permanent nerve damage affecting the legs, one way more than the other which required the use of arm braces in order to walk.  I should have seen the signs but I had denial and I missed the clues.  I didn't write many parodies from Nov 2008 until around July 2009.  I'm back at it again because I know that the person I was trying to help deal with being a suicide survivor would not wish for me to quit writing.  I'm sorry if I made you feel bad by telling you why I did not like your parody.  It is nothing personal I assure you.  You keep writing whatever you like - I'm a big boy and I can take it. 

Written By: Medemia on 09/29/09 at 11:22 pm

5 pts:  Arwen broke my computer as I spit coke all over it!
4 pts:  Matthias better not kiss me.
3 pts:  Bulldogma would make Lightning McQueen jealous.
2 pts:  Bad Guy, Bad Guy, Whacha gonna do?
1 pt:  Conqueror of Emo Kids everywhere.

Written By: philbo on 09/30/09 at 7:56 am

5 points - #5. Now You Defend a Silent Fart by Mark Scotti
4 points - #2. He's Still a Frog by Matthias
3 points - #7. Cops'll Getcha by Guy DiRito
2 points - #6. Breaking Stuff in Vegas by Arwen
1 point - #3. And I Guess That's Why They Call Me the Blue by Medemia

Written By: Matthias on 09/30/09 at 9:33 am

5 Points: Medemia's Umpire
4 Points: Arwen's Vegas Trip
3 Points: Guy's Police Officer
2 Points: Phil's Plastic Woman
1 Point: Bulldogma's Pixar Sequel

Written By: Below Average Dave on 10/01/09 at 9:44 pm

Results will be posted tomorrow. . . I am sorry for the delay, I just headed out of town to go to my mom's wedding, and I'm very depressed and I'm fighting something right now that is hurting my head and stomach and leaving me extremely tired. . .sorry guys, thanks for understanding. .

This goes for the SOTM and POTQ entry threads as well . . . I do apologize for all the delays. . .life is in the way right now.

Written By: DoRitos on 10/01/09 at 10:15 pm

Results will be posted tomorrow. . . I am sorry for the delay, I just headed out of town to go to my mom's wedding, and I'm very depressed and I'm fighting something right now that is hurting my head and stomach and leaving me extremely tired. . .sorry guys, thanks for understanding. .

This goes for the SOTM and POTQ entry threads as well . . . I do apologize for all the delays. . .life is in the way right now.

Just get well Dave - we like and need you out here.  I have no problem with delay.  It's not like the world will end if you don't get results posted on time.

Edited to fix a puncuation error - Lord knows I catch enough for being so promiscuous with my grammar.  It's hell being a wordsmith ho.  =;-)

Written By: philbo on 10/02/09 at 5:37 am

Have a virtual (manly) hug, Dave - life gets that way to all of us at times.  If I get a few spare minutes, I'll collate the results (if you like).  But breaks from work are in 1min coffee intervals at the moment.

Written By: K1chyd on 10/02/09 at 7:51 am

Pretty much the same here, I can get on it from home later this evening if not Phil or anyone else has taken care of it by then.

Written By: DoRitos on 10/02/09 at 8:02 am

I'm off from work today so I had time to tally.  Hopefully I have no errors in the tally.  If anyone wants to double check, please be my guest.  Here is what I came up with:  I'll leave the close out and posting the new thread to Dave.

Phil

4 points for Phil
3 Points: "Slack Plastic Woman"
2 Points for Phil's plastic surgery.
2 points - Phil's fantastic plastic
2 Points: Phil's Plastic Woman

13 Points

Matt

4 pts:  Matthias better not kiss me.
4 pts - Mafia kissing a frog
4 points - #2. He's Still a Frog by Matthias
3 to Matthias's frogs gone wild
2 points to Matthias The Frog-Snogger

17 Points

Medemia           

5 Points: "And I Guess That's Why They Call Me The Blue"
(5 pts.)  And I Guess That's Why They Call Me the Blue by Medemia
5 Points: Medemia's Umpire
3 Points for Med's foul balls.
3 points for Medemia

23 Points

DJ           

5 Points for DJ's pimped out MG.
3 points to Dj Zit-Face
2 pts - DJ's acne problems
1 point - DJ's acne
(1 pt.)    I Am A Sweaty Teenager with Acne, Zits & Nose Oil by DJ Blaze
1 to Mark's toiletry

13 Points

Mark 

5 points - #5. Now You Defend a Silent Fart by Mark Scotti
4 Points for Mark's Scotti's potty
(2 pts.)  Now You Defend a Silent Fart by Mark Scotti
1 point to Silent But Scotti
1pts - Mark's fart

13 Points

Arwen 

5 pts:  Arwen broke my computer as I spit coke all over it!
4 points - Arwen's breakings
4 points to Viva Las Arwen
4 to Arwen's Vegas smashdown
4 Points: Arwen's Vegas Trip
(3 pts.)  Breaking Stuff in Vegas by Arwen
2 points - #6. Breaking Stuff in Vegas by Arwen
2 Points: "Breaking Stuff In Vegas

28 Points       

Guy 

5 points - Guy'll getcha
5 points for Guy
5 points to Cop Dirito
5 to Guy's police posse
5pts - Guy beating Rodney King
(4 pts.)  Cops'll Getcha by Guy DiRito
4 Points: "Cops'll Getcha"
3 Points: Guy's Police Officer
3 points - #7. Cops'll Getcha by Guy DiRito
2 pts:  Bad Guy, Bad Guy, Whacha gonna do?

41 Points         

Bulldogma 

3 points - Bulldogma's race car
3 pts:  Bulldogma would make Lightning McQueen jealous.
2 points for Bulldogma
1 Point: Bulldogma's Pixar Sequel
1 Point: "I Want To Be A Race Car"
1 Point for Bulldogma's all left turn driving.

11 Points

COP           

3 pts - Emo Cop
2 to Conqueror's emo
1 pt:  Conqueror of Emo Kids everywhere.

6 Points

Max

--

Written By: K1chyd on 10/02/09 at 12:16 pm

I'm off from work today so I had time to tally.  Hopefully I have no errors in the tally.  If anyone wants to double check, please be my guest.  Here is what I came up with:  I'll leave the close out and posting the new thread to Dave.

Couldn't wait for the weekend to see your name in lights, right?  ;)

We have the same medalists but different points, me and TCOP gave votes from 1 to 5 instead of from 5 to 1, unless I missed something I don't see that might be where you did, Dave or a third counter might wanna check it out, but like I said we don't differ on the supposed medals. Congrats on the win BTW - you got points from everyone, something we don't see in every round.

41 Points - Cops'll Getcha by Guy DiRito (4+4+5+5+5+5+5+2+3+3)

28 Points - Breaking Stuff in Vegas by Arwen (3+2+4+4+4+5+2+4)

22 Points - And I Guess That's Why They Call Me the Blue by Medemia (5+5+3+3+1+5)

14 Points - Now You Defend a Silent Fart by Mark Scotti (2+4+1+1+1+5)

13 Points - I Am A Sweaty Teenager with Acne, Zits & Nose Oil by DJ Blaze (1+5+1+3+1+2)

13 Points - Slack Plastic Woman by Phil Alexander (3+2+2+4+2)

13 Points - He's Still a Frog by Matthias (2+3+4+2+2)

11 Points - I Wannabe a Race Car by Bulldogma (1+1+3+2+3+1)

6 Points - Billy Don't be an Emo by The Conqueror of Parodies (2+3+1)

HM - I Killed You (You're So Heavy) by Max Power (0)

Written By: DoRitos on 10/02/09 at 12:53 pm

What no FUCA this round?  Peter, you are probably right about my vote miscalculations.  Attention deficit causes me to lose track of things when doing mundane tasks.  Thanks for covering my calculations.

Written By: philbo on 10/02/09 at 2:25 pm

I make it that Mark has won the FUCA, as "How Can You Mend A Broken Heart" hasn't hit a top 3 slot.

..which is kind of lucky, in a way, as otherwise Matthias and I would have been joint FUCAs, which might be a bit embarrassing.

Anyway, congrats, Guy, Arwen and Medemia  :-)

Written By: DoRitos on 10/02/09 at 3:50 pm

I make it that Mark has won the FUCA, as "How Can You Mend A Broken Heart" hasn't hit a top 3 slot.

..which is kind of lucky, in a way, as otherwise Matthias and I would have been joint fudges, which might be a bit embarrassing.

Anyway, congrats, Guy, Ewen and Medea's :-)

I was going to wait until it was official, when Dave finished up the thread but since you, Phil are offering congrats my sincere appreciation goes out to you.  I never in my wildest dreams thought this parody had a chance of winning but I am happy that it did.  I was so totally surprised and way past my wildest dream,that everyone in the comps and even one (Peter) who was not in the comps voted for my parody,  Congrats to Arwen and Medemia for your podium finishes.  Great work, each of you.  This is my 2nd SOTM win ever.  My first one was also an Aug win last year in 2008.  August must be my month for some reason.  Again I thank each and every one of you for laying points on my parody.  Hope to see you great bunch of writers in the next round.  So now that I have gotten my 15 minutes of fame it's on to the next round!  Good luck to one and all.  Once again my whole hearted thanks goes out to you all.

Written By: Medemia on 10/02/09 at 4:46 pm

I would like to echo Guy's thanks to everyone.  It's a confidence booster to see that people actually enjoy my stuff :)  Congrats to Guy and Arwen and everyone else for joining in this madness :)

Written By: DJ Blaze on 10/02/09 at 7:09 pm

Thanks for the 5th Place votes, and congrats to Guy (second SOTM victory!!!), Arwen, and Medemia!

Subject: Re: August 2009 RESULTS POSTED

Written By: Below Average Dave on 10/03/09 at 3:47 am

thanks everyone for doing this for me, I was at the airport at 7:30 this morning, this has been my first chance since landing in St. Louis to post anything, after completing my course work for the week, so yeah. . .in addition to still feeling like I've been hit by a monster truck and then kicked in the stomach, butt and back of the eye's retina for a few hours I simply have too much going on right this minute to keep up. . .further evidenced by my lack of posting new parodies and recordings (well for my normal pace anyway). . .congrats Guy, and guys and yeah everyone, . . .I need alcohol, tylenol and maybe some skittles right now. . .see you all later.

Written By: DoRitos on 10/04/09 at 2:43 am

OMG! I have NO idea how to narrow it down - most of these had me laughing until tears came out of my eyes (as opposed to coming out of my elbows because that would just be weird). I kinda felt like I had to flip a coin on some of these because they're all so different and all so entertaining.  SO... here goes...

Hi there Bulldogma. I don't believe I've seen you or your work on the site.  You did a fairly good showing if this is your firrst comp.  I'd like to welcome you to the board and the parody site.  We need more female writers.  I remember when female writers could be counted on one hand.  You show promise - stick around and make us laugh and cry and feel good.  Welcome!  BTW - I'm DoRitos on the messageboarrd but I use my real name Guy DiRito on amiright.  Try to guess how I got my messageboard screen name. =;-)

Written By: DJ Blaze on 10/04/09 at 8:57 am

Female writers for the win!

Written By: Bulldogma on 10/13/09 at 7:18 am

Hi there Bulldogma. I don't believe I've seen you or your work on the site.  You did a fairly good showing if this is your firrst comp.  I'd like to welcome you to the board and the parody site.  We need more female writers.  I remember when female writers could be counted on one hand.  You show promise - stick around and make us laugh and cry and feel good.  Welcome!  BTW - I'm DoRitos on the messageboarrd but I use my real name Guy DiRito on amiright.  Try to guess how I got my messageboard screen name. =;-)

Great to meet everyone, and thank you for the warm welcome! Sorry it took a while to get back to you. I don't writer parodies very often - this was one of those things that just kind of wrote itself. Hopefully it won't be my last because this seems like a pretty cool group of people.

:o)

Written By: philbo on 10/13/09 at 8:08 am

Hopefully it won't be my last because this seems like a pretty cool group of people.

Careful... while it is a pretty cool group of people (though I say so myself :D), it can get addictive.  But I can control it.  I could stop writing parodies any time

Hello, my name's Phil, and I'm a paroholic ;)

Written By: Arwen on 10/13/09 at 10:01 am

Thirty five years later, it seems, I get my lazy ass over here to say congrats to Guy and to Medemia, and especially thanks to everyone who voted for my Vegas tale.   :)  As always, I appreciate your votes, but mostly I love your fun comments and support.  My writing is sporadic, at best, lately...so this was a little (and by little I mean huge) boost that I needed.  You guys are all awesome... :-*  

Check for new replies or respond here...