inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Decathlon Round Part 3?!?!?! (Round 3) [Extention until Thursday 10/22]

Written By: Matthias on 10/01/09 at 1:53 am

Round 3

Genre: One Hit Wonders

Possible Artists:
Here's a collection of the greatest One Hit Wonders out there: http://www.onehitwondercentral.com/index.cfm

And MANY MORE!!!

Topic: Internet And Techology
(The topics were chosen at random from Below Average Dave's parody website... Don't Blame Me!)

http://rlv.zcache.com/funny_computer_geek_cartoon_poster-p228335090440052447t5ta_400.jpg

THE RULES

~~Entry URLs to be posted onto this thread from the Amiright site

~~Entries must conform to both the topic and genre specifications...if in doubt, ask.

~~On the 19th October, entries close and voting begins.

~~Vote by replying to voting thread with your five favorites in order:  
Top choice gets 5 points, next gets 4 points and so on to 1 point for your fifth favourite.

~~You're not allowed to vote for your own song.

~~Voting continues until the 2nd of November, 2009.

~~By entering, you are agreeing to read and comment on all the other entries and vote.

~~Anyone who enters but does not both comment on all entries and vote by the deadline is disqualified and may not participate in the next event.

~~If you miss a submission deadline, you will not be entered in that event, but WILL be allowed to enter the next event.
However, there will STILL be an expectation that you comment and vote in the event you are not participating in, unless you have a valid reason for not being able to.

~Rule changes may be suggested by any participant in their entry post.  Changes are made only when a majority of that event's voters specify a "yes" vote along with their contest votes.

SCORING: Unlike PAOTY, scores for each Decathlon event are not cumulative. The winner of each event gets 9 Decathlon points, 2nd gets 8 and so on. This should make the contest very close throughout the next 20 weeks.
A Leaderboard will be posted after the first event

HAVE FUN!!!!!!  

Subject: Re: Decathlon Round Part 3?!?!?! (Round 3) [10/14/09]

Written By: Matthias on 10/01/09 at 1:57 am

"Sick Of Myspace" is coming soon (The the parody that Conqueror was challanged to in the "Great Amiright Challange": Shaddup Your Face)

http://www.bailoutpeople.org/images/myspace_logo2.jpg

Subject: Re: Decathlon Round Part 3?!?!?! (Round 3) [10/19/09]

Written By: DJ Blaze on 10/01/09 at 3:58 pm

Wait a sec, hasn't Silver Power already done this sort of parody with "Never Gonna Trick You Up (The Rickroll Song)"? If that's the case, he'll do excellently if he decides to enter. Mine'll probably be on the Laser Collection videos on YouTube, but that's pending.

Written By: Medemia on 10/01/09 at 6:31 pm

Initial idea was making a song about electric instruments killing traditional instruments in 80's songs using the ultimate 80's one hit wonder song.  Have to see if it will work as soon as I finish my rap song... stupid rap song.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 10/02/09 at 8:31 am

I'm thinking of doing 'Mambo No. 5", but how I'd fit the topic into that, I'll never know. I'll think of somethin'...

Written By: ThaConqueror on 10/03/09 at 9:27 pm

I've thought of somethin': memes!

A little bit of mudkips
I herd u like

Somethin' like that. Now - to the LyricWiki! (Batman scene-change noise)

Written By: DJ Blaze on 10/04/09 at 8:56 am

I've thought of somethin': memes!

A little bit of mudkips
I herd u like

Somethin' like that. Now - to the LyricWiki! (Batman scene-change noise)

MUDKIPZ! AWESOME!!! When I get 100 posts, I'll karamel you just for that. Be sure to include Shoop Da Whoop, You Are A Pirate, and other memes. And Over 9000.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 10/05/09 at 5:24 am

MUDKIPZ! AWESOME!!! When I get 100 posts, I'll karamel you just for that. Be sure to include Shoop Da Whoop, You Are A Pirate, and other memes. And Over 9000.

I didn't have You Are A Pirate (as I haven't heard of it, so I wouldn't know how to incorporate it into the song), but I did have the other two, along with a crapload of others. Should be up tomorrow!

Subject: Re: Decathlon Round Part 3?!?!?! (Round 3) [10/14/09]

Written By: ThaConqueror on 10/05/09 at 5:26 am

"Sick Of Myspace" is coming soon (The the parody that Conqueror was challanged to in the "Great Amiright Challange": Shaddup Your Face)

http://www.bailoutpeople.org/images/myspace_logo2.jpg

Holy crap, you remember that contest? I sure did until you brought it up. Just be careful, that song's an absolute bee-yotch to parody (I speak from experience, as you pointed out).

Written By: Silver Power on 10/05/09 at 12:44 pm

Wait a sec, hasn't Silver Power already done this sort of parody with "Never Gonna Trick You Up (The Rickroll Song)"? If that's the case, he'll do excellently if he decides to enter. Mine'll probably be on the Laser Collection videos on YouTube, but that's pending.

Good point, good point. I think that I will indeed enter "Never Gonna Trick You Up (The Rick Roll Song)" parody of Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up".
http://amiright.com/parody/80s/rickastley21.shtml

And how good I do does really depend on how good everyone else does, as with all competitions! This is really strange that the criteria for this competition perfectly matched the criteria of one of the only 20 parodies that I've written. I'll take it, tho.

;)

Written By: Matthias on 10/05/09 at 2:24 pm

Good point, good point. I think that I will indeed enter "Never Gonna Trick You Up (The Rick Roll Song)" parody of Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up".
http://amiright.com/parody/80s/rickastley21.shtml

And how good I do does really depend on how good everyone else does, as with all competitions! This is really strange that the criteria for this competition perfectly matched the criteria of one of the only 20 parodies that I've written. I'll take it, tho.

;)

Daniel Powter is a one hit wonder himself, sadly being bad at being a homosexual isn't exactly technology...  ;)

Written By: Arwen on 10/05/09 at 4:13 pm

Is Rick Astley really a one hit wonder? 

Written By: ThaConqueror on 10/05/09 at 6:46 pm

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/density.png

Memetic Mutation

Vid for "Mambo No. 5" by Lou Bega

Written By: Matthias on 10/06/09 at 6:46 pm

http://www.8164.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/clippy.jpg

I really want to do a parody about my hatred of this guy... But I might also do a parody of "Blue (Da Ba Dee)" about the "Blue Screen of Death"

Written By: ThaConqueror on 10/07/09 at 6:21 am

Or you could parody Blue into being about your hatred for that sodding Clippy. Sample chorus:

Oh, Clippy you get on my nerves
Yes, you get on my nerves
Man, you get on my nerves
Damn, you get on my nerves
Can't you lay off my nerves?
Please get off of my nerves
Clippy gets on my nerves

Any thoughts?

Written By: DJ Blaze on 10/11/09 at 3:19 pm

Is "Through the Fire and Flames" by DragonForce a 1-hit wonder? If so, I'll do "Through the Virals and Memes"!

Written By: Matthias on 10/11/09 at 10:34 pm

Is "Through the Fire and Flames" by DragonForce a 1-hit wonder? If so, I'll do "Through the Virals and Memes"!

Hmmmm... I honestly don't know, that's the song that they're most famous for but I'm not sure if that would be a one hit wonder...

Subject: Re: Decathlon Round Part 3?!?!?! (Round 3) [TWO DAYS LEFT!!!]

Written By: DJ Blaze on 10/17/09 at 7:33 pm

Wait a minute.... I feel so dumb now!!! I already had something eligible I think! Quick question: is "You Are A Pirate" from the show LazyTown a one-hit wonder? I'd say so, since the other songs from that show are little-known, and Pirate sparked an internet meme. Here's my parody: You Are A (MP3) Pirate! http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/lazytown2.shtml Here's the OS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLsJyfN0ICU

Written By: 2nz on 10/17/09 at 9:02 pm

Theme: My never-ending struggle to give up video games.

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/okgo2.shtml

I'm not sure if that counts as 'internet and technology' because it's not really about technology, but rather a struggle to not use a gaming system, which is a kind of technology. Whatever let me know. Or don't, and then don't vote for me.

I have another that will post tomorrow or Monday to 'Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm' by Crash Test Dummies, but it kinda sucks, so I hope I don't have to use that one.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 10/18/09 at 7:30 pm

SWINE FLU?! No way.... I'll be praying for you, Jeff! Wouldn't want someone like you going down!

Written By: Matthias on 10/18/09 at 10:59 pm

DAMN DIRTY HOGS!!!!

Hope you get better soon Jeff, and not to worry my friend there are 8 more rounds of this to write for one missed round isn't the end of the world.

Written By: jreuben on 10/19/09 at 10:05 am

SWINE FLU?! No way.... I'll be praying for you, Jeff! Wouldn't want someone like you going down!

Thanks...I'm on the mend  :)  I wouldn't recommend it to anyone though

Written By: Matthias on 10/19/09 at 11:26 am

Damn... Ran out of time myself on this one! Shoot!

But that's okay because Arwen and Medemia also didn't make it in time so I'll extend it until Thursday which would give us a few more days of parody writing time.
Everybody must just be as busy as I am... Damn.

Subject: Re: Decathlon Round Part 3?!?!?! (Round 3) [Extention until Thursday 10/22]

Written By: DJ Blaze on 10/19/09 at 2:41 pm

But that's okay because Arwen and Medemia also didn't make it in time so I'll extend it until Thursday which would give us a few more days of parody writing time.

So... mine is eligible? And yes, I have been very busy in high school recently.

Written By: Arwen on 10/19/09 at 5:29 pm

Ah...Matty.  I just ran over here to beg for mercy and swear that I'm working on mine and hope to submit it tonight.  You're a champ.  I STILL hope to have it done tonight..but you know..breathing room is always nice.

Subject: Re: Decathlon Round Part 3?!?!?! (Round 3) [Extention until Thursday 10/22]

Written By: Arwen on 10/21/09 at 11:46 pm

Miracle of miracles...mine will be up in the morning!  Phew...

Check for new replies or respond here...