inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Genre Hero, my new parody contest

Written By: DJ Blaze on 11/12/09 at 2:39 pm

Sometime after the Decathlon ends, I'm doing my own parody challenge called Genre Hero. This is basically Artistry, but with music genres/styles instead of artists. I'd have to be pretty diverse if I want it to last long. Here are some examples:

Round 1: 90s Ska/Punk
Possible artists:
Reel Big Fish
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
The Offspring

Round 2: 80s Power Ballads
Possible artists:
Whitesnake
Journey
Air Supply

Round 3: Progressive Rock/Metal
Possible artists:
Kansas
Rush
Dream Theater (LOL totally out of place)

This could last a while as long as I come up with good, diverse genres. I'll give plenty of time for entries and votes. Well, let's wish this one good luck!

Subject: Re: Genre Hero, my new parody contest

Written By: jreuben on 11/12/09 at 5:16 pm

Sometime after the Decathlon ends, I'm doing my own parody challenge called Genre Hero. This is basically Artistry, but with music genres/styles instead of artists. I'd have to be pretty diverse if I want it to last long. Here are some examples:

Round 1: 90s Ska/Punk
Possible artists:
Reel Big Fish
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
The Offspring

Round 2: 80s Power Ballads
Possible artists:
Whitesnake
Journey
Air Supply

Round 3: Progressive Rock/Metal
Possible artists:
Kansas
Rush
Dream Theater (LOL totally out of place)

This could last a while as long as I come up with good, diverse genres. I'll give plenty of time for entries and votes. Well, let's wish this one good luck!

Dreamtheater might be out of place, but they are totally awesome in concert!  Saw them over the summer, and got a parody idea for them.  This would give me a reason to finish.  Rush ain't too bad in concert either :)

Written By: DJ Blaze on 11/12/09 at 7:30 pm

Dreamtheater might be out of place, but they are totally awesome in concert!  Saw them over the summer, and got a parody idea for them.  This would give me a reason to finish.  Rush ain't too bad in concert either :)

Had no clue you were a Dream Theater fan! Yes, they are awesome. My faves are The Shattered Fortress, Panic Attack, Glass Prison, and of course Pull Me Under. Feel free to enter your parody in this one! I might start sooner than I thought if enough people get interested. I'm sure Conqueror will, since his goal is to be in every contest.

Written By: jreuben on 11/12/09 at 10:00 pm

Had no clue you were a Dream Theater fan! Yes, they are awesome. My faves are The Shattered Fortress, Panic Attack, Glass Prison, and of course Pull Me Under. Feel free to enter your parody in this one! I might start sooner than I thought if enough people get interested. I'm sure Conqueror will, since his goal is to be in every contest.

I have to admit, I had only heard one Dream Theater song going into that concert (which also featured Queensryche, Zappa's kid and Big Elf).  My friend is a huge DT fan and raved about them.  They won me over at the concert

Written By: Matthias on 11/12/09 at 11:21 pm

I'm joining in this for sure!!!! Great idea DJ perhaps you're the new me in terms of hosting contests!

With this one and Agrimorfee's we're all in for some fun in the near future!

Written By: ThaConqueror on 11/13/09 at 2:31 am

I'm sure Conqueror will, since his goal is to be in every contest.

That's not my goal. My goal is to be in every round in any contest that I happen to be in. But since I do happen to enter in any contest that pops up, you weren't far off.

And obviously, I'm in. The progressive rock round should be fun! Haven't heard much of that genre...come to think of it, I haven't heard any. But that's half the fun of parody contests: you discover new awesome artists and genres! Wheeee!

Written By: DJ Blaze on 11/13/09 at 2:08 pm

Wow, I've got a lot of people interested now! I might start it sometime after Thanksgiving... since it only applies to genres, a lot of you already have eligible parodies, so it shouldn't be too hard.

Check for new replies or respond here...