inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ABC 2010 Changes/Announcements

Written By: Below Average Dave on 12/03/09 at 1:10 am

Starting next year I am planning the following major changes to the ABC competition.  My reasoning is simple, and stated for each change.  Please post any opinions you have (support or disagreement) on the proposed changes

1. All letters are to be combined into thirteen rounds (A/B, C/D, E/F etc) and numbers will go by their spelling (IE. "10 Candles" would qualify as a "T" entry being that ten is the spelling of 10).  Symbols will generally be ignored, and go by the remaining spelling instead (IE '**Love' would qualify as an L or '^#% 72' would qualify as an S) eliminating the need for the specialty round at the end of the competition.  In the event that symbols are clearly used to take the place of actual words, the word intended may be used (IE @$$hole can be used in A) and in the event that the name of a song is a symbol, the spelling of said symbol may be used (IE '*' would be asterisk-an A entry)

My reasons for this are simple.  Many writers who wish to participate in each round cannot on the principal of some letters just being really difficult to come up with a 'natural' parody to.  I don't personally believe anyone should have to write just to be able to qualify for a specific letter.  It was nice combining tough letters in ABC5, but I also think that if something were to happen to me or another host in the future, that a/b, c/d etc would be much easier for other people to step in and handle than trying to remember if such and such letters were combined.  In the history of the 'numbers/symbol' round, I have not found a single example where a 'symbol' was used as an entry, and numbers all have spellings.  It's historically a small round and unnecessarily makes the competition longer.

2. 3 week entry and voting periods

There are too many competitions popping up, and with Artistry only about half through, it's not lightening up anytime soon.  Because of this, I think the extra week on entry and voting is warranted, especially with the smaller number of rounds.

3. 5 points for voting (only applicable to entrants who are required to vote)

It really irks me that someone can enter a round, take the time to vote and comment, and walk away with nothing from it.  I realize that I may be alone in this opinion, but I believe that everyone deserves recognition for taking the time to comment and vote on the other entries, and this procedure has helped make Artistry voter turnout much higher than most other competitions.

4. ABC-2010 as opposed to ABC-6

Let's face it, the competition needs the structure.  It'd be nice to be able to label it per year instead of simply by how many times we've gone through all the letters.  Additionally, with a 13 round, 3 week schedule, this will allow for a nice holiday break at the end of each year during which time we can host the song of the tournament competition and take a nice breather to spend time with our friends and/or family.  It'd have definitive starting/ending qualities that ABC# simply does not.

5. All Scores Count

With less rounds, and the fact that all letters would be combined, there really is no reason to not count scores.  Part of why I included this score separately this year was to show that it does not make a significant difference in the overall standings, but it also doesn't penalize those who take time to enter the majority of the rounds.  You still have to enter a lot of rounds to win as is, and it's not like Artistry where there are so many rounds that missing 1/3 of them is likely to eliminate one from contention.

6. DQ's only dq the current round's score

With the 5 bonus points, you will be forfeiting points in every round.  People do make mistakes in timing and judging deadlines, and far too often it results in a smaller following round.  With 27 rounds, this was no big deal, but with 13 rounds it is.  I figure with the fact that not voting will result in a loss of points, and with every round being on equal footing for the overall standings with all scores now counting, there is no real need to make the penalty go for two rounds.

7. Top entry for each letter (2 per round) makes the year end competition

In the past only the winner of each round makes it into the year-end song of the tournament competition.  Well, with the shortening of rounds to 13, I think we can afford to increase that to the top of each letter within a round.  Example of how this would work would be if the A/B round resulted in the top three being. . .

1st: "Apes are eating all my pizza"
2nd: "Antarctican Terrorists"
3rd: "Babies Are Evil Dwarfs from the Planet Zebulon"

then the winner would be entered as would "Babies Are Evil . . ." in the event that every non-dq'd entry is of the same letter, then the top two go in.

I have mixed feelings on this particular idea, and have considered just making it the top two of every given round, or even the round winners with 7 'wildcard' positions to top non-winning scores. 

Looking for opinions

I realize people are likely to have mixed opinions on all of these, this is not open and shut, and we have about a month to make any or all of these changes official.  I personally am aiming to increase participation, lessen the seriousness of, and make the competition more fun.  It shouldn't be so stressful with the deadlines coming so frequently.  With all of our personal lives, I think that these changes would make the "ABC" competition more open and less stressful.  Please post your opinions in support or against the changes.  I expressed why I support each change, and as the host will implement them so long as nobody has any major issues with said changes.  Every rule, and each part of every rule is up for debate, that's why I'm posting it so early despite there being considerable time before the next ABC would even start.

Subject: Re: ABC 2010 Changes/Announcements

Written By: Matthias on 12/03/09 at 1:23 am

The only problem I see with this is that I don't know what "Babies Are Evil Dwarfs from the Planet Zebulon" is a parody of  ;)

But seriously, I agree with a lot of this although I don't think I'll be back for the ABC 2010 because I'm bored with the ABC contest.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 12/03/09 at 1:29 am

The only problem I see with this is that I don't know what "Babies Are Evil Dwarfs from the Planet Zebulon" is a parody of  ;)

But seriously, I agree with a lot of this although I don't think I'll be back for the ABC 2010 because I'm bored with the ABC contest.

That's part of why I want to change to, is so that I can rejuvenate the ABC competition.  I also don't know what that'd be a parody of, but it'd be a fun title, I don't know where I came up with it, but I may have to find a song to put it to.

Written By: Red Ant on 12/03/09 at 1:44 am

#1: I agree completely. Ignore any punctuation and go to the first letter. But within reason - if the title is "**** You", it should be under F, not Y.  ;D  If a parody is named something like "!", it would be under E.

#2: Excellent. Keeping voting deadlines on the same days would be great as well.

#3: Eh, not really keen on bonus/voting points in ABC, only because it hasn't been done before in this competition. I'm open to it though...

#4: ABC 2010 is a great name, and a yearly schedule with a decent break in it is good as well.

#5: I'm for all scores counting toward ABC 2010 AotY standings.

#6: Sounds good. No DQs, only points forfeitures. If people abuse this (enter comps but never comment/always get DQed), then the "Grudge Rule" shall be in effect.  ;)

#7: 26 entries for a ABC SotY is manageable.

The only thing I have to add is the possibility of some kind of wildcard round at the end of the competition.

And Matt, that is a parody of "Ladies Are Evil Whores In The Saturn Nebula".   :D

or "Supercalif..."

Ant

Written By: jreuben on 12/03/09 at 8:36 am

If I decided to write a song called @#%@%^* which has no translation to a letter (like when Prince changed his name to a symbol), would it fit anywhere?

I'm only asking because Stu is probably halfway done a song like this because he's Stu  ;D  (And I admire that about you Stu!)

Written By: Matthias on 12/03/09 at 8:56 am

If I decided to write a song called @#%@%^* which has no translation to a letter (like when Prince changed his name to a symbol), would it fit anywhere?

I'm only asking because Stu is probably halfway done a song like this because he's Stu  ;D  (And I admire that about you Stu!)

That would fit under "A" because @ is the "at" symbol.

Written By: jreuben on 12/03/09 at 9:26 am

I guess Dave did cover that in the rules  ;D  I guess if a parody had no title at all...but the form probably doesn't accept that

Written By: Matthias on 12/03/09 at 9:31 am

But if a parody did have a title like: "_________" what would that be considered (Not that anybody would title a parody that but out of curosity would it be L for Line?

Written By: jreuben on 12/03/09 at 9:32 am

Underscore...so that would be U, right?

-------------- could be H or D (hyphen or dash)

Written By: Matthias on 12/03/09 at 9:51 am

Underscore...so that would be U, right?

-------------- could be H or D (hyphen or dash)

Well, You should know what a hyphen do...

Check for new replies or respond here...