inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Genre Hero Round 1 - 90s Alternative Voting Thread RESULTS POSTED

Written By: DJ Blaze on 12/15/09 at 4:40 pm

~~Vote by replying to this thread with your five favorites in order:
1st choice- 5 points
2nd place- 4 points
3rd place- 3 points
4th place- 2 points
5th place- 1 point.

~~You're not allowed to vote for your own song.

~~Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it.

~~Voting continues until the deadline expires.

~~Anyone who's participated in a Genre Hero contest may vote.

~~By entering, you are agreeing to read and comment on all the other entries and vote.

~~Anyone who enters but does not both comment on all entries and vote by the end of the deadline is disqualified and may not participate next round, while all points will be forfeited, an entrant who has been disqualified may still participate next round if (s)he goes back and comments on all entrants from the round he got disqualified prior to the end of the entry field (s)he is trying to get involved in.

~~In the event of a tie, the parody with the most first place votes wins.
If it's still tied, the parody with the most second place votes wins. and so on
If the points total and votes are identical, it will be left as a legitimate tie

~~Any entrant whose votes don't show a time stamp prior to midnight on the deadline (ie. according to the "inthe00's meantime" clock as it appears BEFORE you log in - not a timezone corrected version) is disqualified, no exceptions.

THE ENTRANTS:

1. DJ Blaze "Salesman": http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/goldfinger4.shtml
Spokesman: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVmcAGFdWKs

2. Conqueror Of Parodies "Lost Me Head": http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/nirvana366.shtml
Lithium: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USZzH1L6nKU
NOTE: This video is the live version. Sorry, the studio version didn't work.

3. Matthias "Repugnant": http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/greenday154.shtml
Redundant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p_RtN-PQnc

Late entries are accepted until the first vote is cast.

Subject: Re: Genre Hero Round 1 - 90s Alternative Voting Thread (Deadline: 12-28-09)

Written By: Matthias on 12/18/09 at 10:03 am

If people don't want to enter then they can just sod off. I liked this idea and I'm going to continue in this contest no matter what other people think!
I don't know why Red Ant never showed up because this round was perfect for him but I guess he's just too darn lazy lately, and I know Dave's reasoning but still think he should have added something because he has a bunch of Green Day he could have used.

Oh well....

Here are my votes...

5 Points: T-Cop
4 Points: DJ Blaze

Subject: Re: Genre Hero Round 1 - 90s Alternative Voting Thread (Deadline: 12-28-09)

Written By: DJ Blaze on 12/18/09 at 3:41 pm

If people don't want to enter then they can just sod off. I liked this idea and I'm going to continue in this contest no matter what other people think!
I don't know why Red Ant never showed up because this round was perfect for him but I guess he's just too darn lazy lately, and I know Dave's reasoning but still think he should have added something because he has a bunch of Green Day he could have used.

Oh well....

Here are my votes...

Thanks for your devotion to my contest. I think no one entered because my name isn't big enough for a contest yet.

5 points to stinkin' Matt
4 points to Conqueror Of Headlessness

Written By: DJ Blaze on 12/28/09 at 2:03 pm

Extension until New Years has been granted due to Conqueror's absence.

Subject: Re: Genre Hero Round 1 - 90s Alternative Voting Thread (Deadline: New Years Day)

Written By: ThaConqueror on 12/28/09 at 9:12 pm

Woops. my bad. I think my distraction was due to receiving ROTF for Christmas (lots of special features) and borrowing M*A*S*H off my sister. But since it's only two songs, this won't take long...

5 points to Salesmen Blaze
4 points to Repugnant Matthias

Written By: Below Average Dave on 12/28/09 at 11:36 pm

Oh well....

Here are my votes...

My reasoning is very simple. . .contests with very few entrants mean very little flex in voting tastes and excruciatingly close results that don't really give a song any views or commentary, which as a recording parodist is the main reason I enter contests, but you are absolutely right--I do have a lot of Green Day, and about 30% of my entire parody collection probably qualified for this round (after all 'Alternative' probably accounts for half of my favorite ten artists)  I was really hopeful that there would be more entrants, but I kept waiting and no one was entering. . .I really think there are just too many contests right now and people are getting burnt out--that's all. . This and Decathlon are both well below where they really should be, and it is beginning to affect Song of the Month and Artistry to a lesser effect also (though ABC has held strong surprisingly)  I think once the contest sites are done and the holidays pass, and POTQ is retired and Decathlon completes its third cycle perhaps people will have had enough breather.  There are certainly still enough parodists active to make the contests viable, but when the contests start numbering so many at one time, trying to keep up with deadlines and what not can be a formidable deterrent to entering them.  I've never seen a Decathlon where (virtually) every round had to use less than 5 voting spots, and the Destiny's Child round is only the third or fourth artist to draw such a low crowd, but unlike the others Destiny's Child/Beyonce etc has been parodied well over 100 times--meaning there was no shortage of qualified entrants, all of this kinda points to the same thing--too many contests going--or too many threads going at one time.  The Artistry Results threads really aren't necessary anymore, the site will likely be done quickly with the new badave.com opening up to begin the new year, its part of the plans of the new site.  That eliminates two threads.  POTQ eliminates 10 over the course of the year, and ABC result threads also won't be necessary much longer, the less threads the better. . .we need the contest board to feature entry and voting threads prominently. . .

That's it for now, I know I am not alone in this opinion, but I remember entering the "Gross Out Contest Part Doo" as my first round, I tied for second, but there were only 4 voters, and only one song topped ten points, it kinda dilutes the contest history when there are a bunch of contests that are so unequal in caliber, I'd rather be in a large field than a small one because I truly enjoy seeing what people come up with to a contest idea, and I love your work Matthias, I really enjoy yours DJ Blaze, and TCOP you know I've been reading yours for quite some time to, and I really appreciate your guys commentary on mine, but my time is very limited, and trying to make time for a bunch of contests with 3, 4, or 5 entrants is much harder than it was when I was unemployed, not in school and badave averaged a few hits a day. . .

Subject: Re: Genre Hero Round 1 - 90s Alternative Voting Thread (Deadline: New Years Day)

Written By: ThaConqueror on 01/02/10 at 12:43 am

Aaaaand we have a three-way tie. Crap. Now what?

Written By: DJ Blaze on 01/02/10 at 8:22 am

THE WINNERS:

1st Place: Matthias, Conqueror, and DJ Blaze with 9 points each!

Man, this comp ain't going too good.

Check for new replies or respond here...