inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ABC5 (The Final Round) RESULTS POSTED

Written By: Below Average Dave on 12/17/09 at 4:12 am

Welcome to the
ABC5 (Numbers/symbols)
Voting Thread

Voting deadline for ABC5(Numbers/Symbols is by the end of the day according to AmIRight
Wednesday December 30th
No votes date-stamped after the voting deadline will be accepted - no exceptions

Vote by replying to this thread with your five favorites in order:

1st choice........5 points
2nd place.........4 points
3rd place..........3 points
4th place..........2 points
5th place..........1 point

or in algebraic terms, p = 6 - r    (p=points, r=rank)

RULES
- Any parody beginning with the current letter is eligible, except parodies that have been entered into ABC1 or ABC2 or ABC3 or ABC4
- You're not allowed to vote for your own parody
- Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it
- Anyone who's participated in any previous ABC contest may vote
- Any entrant who hasn't left a comment on all entries is disqualified and may not participate in the next letter
- Any entrant who doesn't vote by the voting deadline (above) is disqualified and may not participate in the next letter

ALSO
Under no circumstances will a vote that missed the voting deadline be accepted (even by 1 second)
However the resulting disqualification from entry to the next ABC5 comp may be over-ruled, if you do the following...

1.  Post an "appeal" on this thread giving your excuse for missing the deadline, and plead for mercy
  2.  If your plea wins the sympathy of 3 other entrants your disqualification from the next round will be overturned
        Your late votes will still not count though 
        (if less than 4 entrants in the comp, only 2 sympathetic "Thumbs Ups" are required)

and the entries are.........

Please note I only got a total of four opinions on whether to allow (, and that was a three to one in favor of allowing (Matty, Leo and myself said ok, while Agri said he doesn't think so) I can't find precedence on to whether ( counts, but I figure this is the last round of this type ever based on no opposition to my rule changes for next season so I allowed it

1. (Don't See) The Barber by Matthias
    (Don't Fear) the Reaper

2. 0-18 by Melanie Lee
    You're Sixteen

3. 4MT (and the rest of Chucky's security codes) by Stu McArthur
    Let it Be

4. 404s: They Make Me Mad by DJ Blaze
    Would You Love a Monsterman?

5. 7 in 1 Swipe by Leo Keough
    Blinded by the light

6. (You Make Me Feel Like) Live Pigs on a Meat Block by Below Average Dave
    (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman

**Please note that without accepting ( there would have only been 4 entrants, which also played a role in my decision to allow (. . .good luck everyone

Subject: Re: ABC5 (The Final Round) Voting Deadline 12/30/2009

Written By: Matthias on 12/17/09 at 5:31 pm

5 Points: Leo's Lucky Number 7
4 Points: BAD Nightmares
3 Points: Stuart MCA
2 Points: DJ Error
1 Point: Melanie's Sports Team

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/18/09 at 4:07 pm

Dear Friends,
I completely forgot about entering this round. It wasn't until Tuesday night that I realized this, and I knew I would have no way to get to the Net until past deadline. I am so sad.  :\'(  However, I will place votes here as is my wont.

5pts=Leo (truly the best BBTL parody I've read in a long while, better than mine)
4pts=BAD
3pts=Melanie
2pts=Matthias
1pt=DJ Blaze

Please enjoy the parody I would have entered had I paid attention:
http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/nena21.shtml
It is best enjoyed while listening to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQYQTFudrqc

Written By: Leo Keough on 12/18/09 at 7:57 pm

Hope I didn't leave anyone out...

5 Points: Melanie Lee..."0-18"
4 Points: Stu McArthur..."4MT (and the rest of Chucky's security codes)"
3 Points: Below Average Dave..."(You Make Me Feel Like) Live Pigs on a Meat Block"
2 Points: DJ Blaze..."404s: They Make Me Mad"
1 Point:  Matthias..."(Don't See) The Barber"

This competition has been a lot of work and a lot of fun and something I'll never regret pursuing!!!  Kudos to everyone for all the great chuckles you gave me!!!

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 12/23/09 at 5:18 pm

wow - great parodies all of them - great way to finish off ABC5

5 points.................7 in 1 Swipe by Leo Keough
4 points.................0-18 by Melanie Lee
3 points.................(You Make Me Feel Like) Live Pigs on a Meat Block by Below Average Dave
2 points.................(Don't See) The Barber by Matthias
1 point..................404s: They Make Me Mad by DJ Blaze

Written By: DJ Blaze on 12/23/09 at 5:51 pm

great parodies all of them

Except mine... WAY too repetitive, I've been just too lazy to redo some of my spoofs.

Written By: Melanie Lee on 12/28/09 at 3:58 pm

Playing the numbers game, with some heavy symbolism.  What the +)(*&^%$#@!

5 points: 7 in 1 Swipe by Leo Keough
4 points: 4MT (and the rest of Chucky's security codes) by Stu McArthur
3 points: 404s: They Make Me Mad by DJ Blaze
2 points: (Don't See) The Barber by Matthias
1 point: (You Make Me Feel Like) Live Pigs on a Meat Block by Below Average Dave

FINIS!    ;D ;D ;D

Written By: DJ Blaze on 12/28/09 at 6:19 pm

5 points to Leo's Big 7
4 points to Matty's Natural Enemy Of Herman Li
3 points to Dave's chiller
2 points to Stu's codes
1 point to Melanie's sports

Written By: Below Average Dave on 12/30/09 at 10:46 pm

This round was kinda tough to call. . .so I hope everyone only takes the votes for what they are. . .a game, because this round was pretty closely knit after my first place choice. . .all good..

1 Point to DJ Blaze (This one was well written, and funny, just that I've seen so many '404' parodies over the past year that they've lost a little edge at the moment for me, and it'd be hard to record a song and make it work to such a unique OS and idea, but kudos on the parody)

2 Points to Melanie Lee (Though I didn't get big laughs out of this, that was only because I really don't care for basketball, that said, this really captured a moment in history that needed to be captured, and it was written with expert penmanship, which inched it above DJ Blaze, despite not being a favorite topic of mine)

3 Points to Stu McArthur (Site specific, kinda, but captchas have become a mainstay throughout the internet and in some way everyone has heard of them.  The rhyming, especially with a topic like this, was absolutely amazing and the use of such a site specific example but still managing to go over the top with the funny is hard to overlook.  I think a couple of lines could be reworked if recorded to make it less site specific, and then it would be among the many masterpieces of Stu's collection)

4 Points to Leo Keough (The difficulty of TOS is tremendous on this one, and unlike most of the remaining big 7--this one actually was a bonified hit.  Additionally, in my humble opinion, this is the only "Big 7" song I really respect as a true parodist challenge (not that Edmund Fitzgerald and Major General aren't hard, but in my opinion songs that never made a huge splash also won't garner as much attention, something I can't overlook)  I though this was very well written, slight rhyming mishaps aside, and site specificness aside--especially since this is an AmIRight contest, excellent job)

5 Points to Matthias (It sort of surprises me that prior to DJ Blaze's vote, this one hadn't gotten above 2 points from a single voter.  To me, this one would make the best recording and go the furthest of the 5 to the general public because it uses a topic that is pretty universal and a song that was a pretty well known hit.  Additionally the blend to the original song and writing technique in this one were superb, while saying it was above average when referring to Matthias would be redundant, this was superb even by his standards in my honest opinion, and thus it gets my top vote)

Written By: Below Average Dave on 12/30/09 at 10:55 pm

wow. . .what a close finish from 2nd on down. . .here are the final results of the final round of the current format. . .expect the year end thread up in the next couple of days. . .

1st Leo Keough earned 29 Points

2nd Below Average Dave earned 18 Points

3rd Melanie Lee earned 16 Points
3rd Stu McArthur earned 16 Points
3rd Matthias earned 16 Points

6th DJ Blaze earned 10 Points

You know it's a good round when everyone earns at least 10 points, and third place ended up in a three way tie

Congrats to Leo Keough, Melanie Lee, Stu, Matthias, and DJ Blaze for helping to make the first full out double digit round of this ABC series, and thanks to everyone for Squealing me into 2nd

Check for new replies or respond here...