inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: SOTM February 2010 RESULTS POSTED

Written By: Below Average Dave on 03/09/10 at 11:59 am

Note to new participants: Welcome, and good luck. Please read all guidelines carefully. Especially, please make sure to read all the entries and vote by the end of the month. The SOTM is not so much a contest as a feedback exchange. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, either in this thread or via personal message. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

~~Vote by replying to this thread with your five favorites in order:
1st choice- 5 points
2nd place- 4 points
3rd place- 3 points
4th place- 2 points
5th place- 1 point.

~~You're not allowed to vote for your own song.

~~Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it.

~~Voting continues until the last day of the month ends.

~~Anyone who's participated in a SOTM contest may vote.

~~By entering, you are agreeing to read and comment on all the other entries and vote.

~~Anyone who enters but does not both comment on all entries and vote by the end of the month is disqualified and may not participate next month, while all points will be forfeited, an entrant who has been disqualified may still participate next month if (s)he goes back and comments on all entrants from the month (s)he got disqualified prior to the end of the entry field (s)he is trying to get involved in.

~~In the event of a tie, the parody with the most first place votes wins.
If it's still tied, the parody with the most second place votes wins. and so on
If the points total and votes are identical, it will be left as a legitimate tie

~~Any entrant whose votes don't show a time stamp prior to midnight on the last day of the month (ie. according to the "inthe00's meantime" clock as it appears BEFORE you log in - not a timezone corrected version) is disqualified, no exceptions.

~~A medal known as the FUCA shall be awarded to the highest ranking parody which did not make the month's podium and is of an original song which has not previously earned any medal

1. See the Dentist by Matthias
   See You Again

2. Horror Movie Screening by Mark Scotti
   California Dreaming

3. Martial Arts by The Conqueror of Parodies
   Dragula

4. Meat of a Rodent by MysteryGoat
   Heat of the Moment

5. Tik Tok by Below Average Dave
   Tik Tok

6. Drink Like a Sailor by Andria
   Crimson & Clover

7. (The Scale Is Tweeting) My Weight by Peter Andersson
   My Way

8. My Ram Smashed Cars All Day by DJ Blaze
   I Ran (So Far Away)

9. Troll Rider by Max Power
   Low Rider

Subject: Re: SOTM February 2010 Voting Thread

Written By: kilgore523 on 03/09/10 at 12:44 pm

1: Mark Scotti, "Horror Movie Screening"
2: Matthias, "See The Dentist"
3: MysteryGoat, "Meat of a Rodent"
4: Below Average Dave, "Tik Tok"
5: The Conquerer of Parodies, "Martial Arts"

Sorry I couldn't come up with any witty descriptions for my top 5, Andria's kind of out of it, not enough coffee this morning.  :)

Written By: Matthias on 03/09/10 at 1:54 pm

5 Points: Below Average Morning
4 Points: Mark's Horror Movie
3 Points: Mystery Meat
2 Points: DJ's Frankly My Deer I Don't Give A Ram
1 Point: Petwitter

Written By: scottim50 on 03/19/10 at 11:14 am

My apology for listing Peter's 5 vote twice:

Should be:
5 to (The Scale Is Tweeting) My Weight by Peter Andersson
4 to See the Dentist by Matthias
3 to Meat of a Rodent by MysteryGoat
2 to My Ram Smashed Cars All Day by DJ Blaze
1 to Drink Like a Sailor by Andria

Written By: K1chyd on 03/21/10 at 8:44 am

Back when the number of SOTM contestants started to be around ten on a regular basis I suggested (more or less on the fly-by) that commenting should take place here on the voting thread instead of the actual parodies (or both). At least I like to remember that I did suggest that, but maybe I was just thinking it, old age you know. Anyway, that thought came back to me now, and though I have fulfilled the rule of commenting where it's stated to be done I'm now going to do it again here just to se how it would look like that way. Here goes:

5 Points - "See the Dentist" by Matthias
Writing a parody about going to the dentist is, much like going to a real dentist, something I myself have postponed for far too long now. I actually started sketching "when my teeth are in pain" to "where the streets have no name" by U2 once, but quickly realised that I wouldn't be able to draw out much humour from it. As for your parody I was aching over the first verse (and from seeing how you worked the two syllable "dentist" over the one ditto "again" in the title) that I was gonna have to drill away a point for pacing, but then you made up for that in the otherwise excellently executed choruses, they are almost perfect gold substitute fillings.

4 Points - "Tik Tok" by Below Average Dave
I have never heard the original song before but the many stuttering instrumental and vocal soundbites and the way it's presented in the video by the evil record company (record companies are always evil, right?) has that general discomforting feel that has been polluting the airwaves ever since Glen Stefani did Hollaback Girl. Now reading back that first long sentence I realize it makes me sound like the grumpy old man I sometimes am, but here it's just my intro way of building up to the outro praising of that you did one helluva job pacing it all the way through. Maybe the subject wasn't all that original though, but no doubt (see how I worked another Glen Stefani reference in?) a 555.

3 Points - "My Ram Smashed Cars All Day" by DJ Blaze
There's a version of this song by Bowling For Soup that is about 20 BPMs faster (don't ask me how I know, tooo long a story) and I couldn't help thinking about how that one would have suited the demolition theme a tad better, or how much difference such a typical 90s production differs from this soo, soo core-y 80s pop sound song. That said you did a god job here, good pacing, top notch funny and overall milking the subject for all that it was worth (though with that subject being a ram rather than an ewe that might be a ewwww comment). 555.

2 Points - "Horror Movie Screening" by Mark Scotti
I saw the title and my first thought (well, almost) was that "horror movie screaming" would be a more obvious title setup for a theatrical humour parody, but as I kept on following this well paced original slasher I realized that you had worked that line/substitute in too. 555.

1 Point - "Martial Arts" by The Conqueror of Parodies
In a few places I shortly lost track of the pacing but it quickly bounced back to a flow. As for the subject it doesn't easy lend itself to humour but I think you managed to kick some out of it here, some may hold working/sneaking kind of a list parody into the middle of it against you, but I won't because I think it was the right move. For the overall I'll add that the choice of original for the parody subject (and the first person view take on it) worked out great, martial arts lyrics kinda need heavy metal to go with, and this one has the right kind of aggressiveness to begin with (though a working parody about martial arts set to a ballad original would be even more . 555.

Honorable Mentions (In Order Of Appearance) (And as it happened to work out, the order I rank them too)

#4 "Meat of a Rodent" by MysteryGoat
I'll give this 555. It has pretty good pacing, is quite funny if you like the occasional disgusting parody and is overall pretty well crafted, for one it tells a full story from start to finish, that's always noteworthy. Then again it comes up (bad pun intended) against some pretty hairy competition this month…

#6 "Drink Like a Sailor" by Andria
In the 80s or early 90s there was a group (I think it was called Monkey Mafia, not really sure, it was an acquaintance through a short time girlfriend thingy that I came to hear them at all) who did awesome remix versions of this song and As Long As I Can See The Light, both with thunderous, groovy baselines. Don't remember if that version would have given you more to work with than the original, maybe, maybe not, but this was not enough to tickle my liver and buzz my brain.

#9 "Troll Rider" by Max Power
Not knowing what a troll rider is I tried to google the term (I should have read the other comments first, did I realize later) but this here parody song page in itself showed up as the top search result. From that I'll conclude that you have written a truly original parody here, but it won't be among my top five.

So what you think?
Doesn't this give a better overview of the voting and feedback processes?

Written By: Below Average Dave on 03/21/10 at 1:27 pm

Back when the number of SOTM contestants started to be around ten on a regular basis I suggested (more or less on the fly-by) that commenting should take place here on the voting thread instead of the actual parodies (or both). At least I like to remember that I did suggest that, but maybe I was just thinking it, old age you know. Anyway, that thought came back to me now, and though I have fulfilled the rule of commenting where it's stated to be done I'm now going to do it again here just to se how it would look like that way. Here goes:

5 Points - "See the Dentist" by Matthias
Writing a parody about going to the dentist is, much like going to a real dentist, something I myself have postponed for far too long now. I actually started sketching "when my teeth are in pain" to "where the streets have no name" by U2 once, but quickly realised that I wouldn't be able to draw out much humour from it. As for your parody I was aching over the first verse (and from seeing how you worked the two syllable "dentist" over the one ditto "again" in the title) that I was gonna have to drill away a point for pacing, but then you made up for that in the otherwise excellently executed choruses, they are almost perfect gold substitute fillings.

4 Points - "Tik Tok" by Below Average Dave
I have never heard the original song before but the many stuttering instrumental and vocal soundbites and the way it's presented in the video by the evil record company (record companies are always evil, right?) has that general discomforting feel that has been polluting the airwaves ever since Glen Stefani did Hollaback Girl. Now reading back that first long sentence I realize it makes me sound like the grumpy old man I sometimes am, but here it's just my intro way of building up to the outro praising of that you did one helluva job pacing it all the way through. Maybe the subject wasn't all that original though, but no doubt (see how I worked another Glen Stefani reference in?) a 555.

3 Points - "My Ram Smashed Cars All Day" by DJ Blaze
There's a version of this song by Bowling For Soup that is about 20 BPMs faster (don't ask me how I know, tooo long a story) and I couldn't help thinking about how that one would have suited the demolition theme a tad better, or how much difference such a typical 90s production differs from this soo, soo core-y 80s pop sound song. That said you did a god job here, good pacing, top notch funny and overall milking the subject for all that it was worth (though with that subject being a ram rather than an ewe that might be a ewwww comment). 555.

2 Points - "Horror Movie Screening" by Mark Scotti
I saw the title and my first thought (well, almost) was that "horror movie screaming" would be a more obvious title setup for a theatrical humour parody, but as I kept on following this well paced original slasher I realized that you had worked that line/substitute in too. 555.

1 Point - "Martial Arts" by The Conqueror of Parodies
In a few places I shortly lost track of the pacing but it quickly bounced back to a flow. As for the subject it doesn't easy lend itself to humour but I think you managed to kick some out of it here, some may hold working/sneaking kind of a list parody into the middle of it against you, but I won't because I think it was the right move. For the overall I'll add that the choice of original for the parody subject (and the first person view take on it) worked out great, martial arts lyrics kinda need heavy metal to go with, and this one has the right kind of aggressiveness to begin with (though a working parody about martial arts set to a ballad original would be even more . 555.

Honorable Mentions (In Order Of Appearance) (And as it happened to work out, the order I rank them too)

#4 "Meat of a Rodent" by MysteryGoat
I'll give this 555. It has pretty good pacing, is quite funny if you like the occasional disgusting parody and is overall pretty well crafted, for one it tells a full story from start to finish, that's always noteworthy. Then again it comes up (bad pun intended) against some pretty hairy competition this month…

#6 "Drink Like a Sailor" by Andria
In the 80s or early 90s there was a group (I think it was called Monkey Mafia, not really sure, it was an acquaintance through a short time girlfriend thingy that I came to hear them at all) who did awesome remix versions of this song and As Long As I Can See The Light, both with thunderous, groovy baselines. Don't remember if that version would have given you more to work with than the original, maybe, maybe not, but this was not enough to tickle my liver and buzz my brain.

#9 "Troll Rider" by Max Power
Not knowing what a troll rider is I tried to google the term (I should have read the other comments first, did I realize later) but this here parody song page in itself showed up as the top search result. From that I'll conclude that you have written a truly original parody here, but it won't be among my top five.

So what you think?
Doesn't this give a better overview of the voting and feedback processes?

I like these kind of responses because It shows a good deal of time taken in reviewing the parodies, karma!!!

Written By: Max Power on 03/30/10 at 6:30 pm

5 pts - BAD tik

4 pts - DJ's car getting rammed

3 pts - Mark watching Michael Jackson film directed by Uwe Boll

2 pts - Mystery Meat

1 pts - COP knows kung-fu fighting

HM: The rest

Written By: MysteryGoat on 03/30/10 at 11:11 pm

5pts. - My Weight
4pts. - Tik Tok
3pts. - Horror Movie Screening
2pts. - My Ram Smashed Cars All Day
1pts. - See The Dentist

Written By: ThaConqueror on 03/31/10 at 4:23 am

1 point to Matthias
2 points to MysteryGoat
3 points to Dave
4 points to Peter
5 points to Mark

Written By: Below Average Dave on 03/31/10 at 7:58 pm

1 Point to The Conqueror of Parodies

2 Points to DJ Blaze

3 Points to Matthias

4 Points to Peter Andersson

5 Points to MysteryGoat

Written By: Below Average Dave on 03/31/10 at 11:19 pm

Well, uh. . .wow. . .here are the February Results, and all I can say is. . .THANK YOU!!!!

1st Below Average Dave with 23 Points

2nd Mark Scotti with 22 Points

3rd Peter Andersson with 19 Points

4th Matthias with 18 Points (and tie break of 2nd place votes) <<FUCA WINNER

5th MysteryGoat with 18 Points

6th The Conqueror of Parodies with 4 Points

7th Andria with 1 Point

8th Max Power with HM

DQ DJ Blaze (Forfeits 15 Points)

Congrats to Mark, Peter, and Matty, and thank you all very much for my third podium in three months

Subject: Re: SOTM February 2010 RESULTS POSTED

Written By: Matthias on 03/31/10 at 11:50 pm

-Shrug-

Should I even point out that Miley Cyrus got the "FUCA"... Is that even legal yet? How old is she?  :D

Written By: Below Average Dave on 04/01/10 at 12:05 am

-Shrug-

Should I even point out that Miley Cyrus got the "FUCA"... Is that even legal yet? How old is she?  :D

17, so in almost every state no

Written By: K1chyd on 04/01/10 at 11:40 am

Congrats to BAD, Mark, *ahem* myself and Matthias for coming out of winter alive and SOTM on top, though in all modesty I'll like to point out that DJ Blaze's missing votes in this very, very, very tight round with only five points separating first place and fifth place could have flipped things around quite a bit, I could have been out of the medals altogether, MysteryGoat could have won it on a tiebreaker, it was THAT close...

http://www.athenryac.com/files/images/Ghent_Photo_Finish.jpg

Written By: DJ Blaze on 04/01/10 at 3:14 pm

CRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAP!!!! This is the first time I ever missed a voting session (well, aside from SOTY.) Sorry, parents were hogging the computer last night and I totally forgot.

Written By: MysteryGoat on 04/01/10 at 6:01 pm

Wow, this is the closest I ever got to winning SOTM!

Congrats Dave, Mark & Peter!

Written By: Below Average Dave on 04/01/10 at 8:08 pm

CRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAP!!!! This is the first time I ever missed a voting session (well, aside from SOTY.) Sorry, parents were hogging the computer last night and I totally forgot.

It happens, and SOTY has been extended

Written By: Below Average Dave on 04/01/10 at 8:08 pm

Wow, this is the closest I ever got to winning SOTM!

Congrats Dave, Mark & Peter!

That's because your parody was fantastic MysteryGoat--KEEP IT UP!!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...