inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Revisions in SOTM?

Written By: K1chyd on 06/12/10 at 1:04 pm

From what I can tell it's not against the rules to use revisions of older parodies in SOTM - but has the issue of doing so ever been discussed?

I can't remember that it has so I'm opening up this thread.

Nothing personal Matthias, just curious to how others see this.

My own policy has long been that if I'm changing lines on an older parody I only do so on the version on my homepage, I don't even submit it to Amiright.

Then again, not everyone has a homepage so that's just me.

Opions?

Subject: Re: Revisions in SOTM?

Written By: DJ Blaze on 06/12/10 at 1:20 pm

From what I can tell it's not against the rules to use revisions of older parodies in SOTM - but has the issue of doing so ever been discussed?

I can't remember that it has so I'm opening up this thread.

Nothing personal Matthias, just curious to how others see this.

My own policy has long been that if I'm changing lines on an older parody I only do so on the version on my homepage, I don't even submit it to Amiright.

Then again, not everyone has a homepage so that's just me.

Opions?

I think that it's fine with me.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 06/13/10 at 11:31 pm

Officially the rules don't ban it. . .though I personally don't think I'll ever want to do it as I usually already have the commentary on an older piece to know what is next in the recording stage, it's an interesting question. . .but as far as I can tell its not against the rules as they currently read.

Written By: K1chyd on 06/14/10 at 11:45 am

I forgot to add - has the question ever been up in the other contests?

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/14/10 at 12:31 pm

I certainly wouldn't use a revision of something that had been in SOTM in its previous incarnation.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 06/14/10 at 6:31 pm

I forgot to add - has the question ever been up in the other contests?

Actually yes, it isn't allowed in the ABC if it has previous been in an ABC contest, whether rewritten or not (though I may not have copied that into the rules, I can double check but I remember that in the past)  In Artistry it is also against the rules but it would only come in to play on duets because of the nature of the contest. 

Personally, I think Agri hits it on the nose, I don't think it should be allowed if the song had been previously used for the SOTM contest, but as of right now its not officially against the rules. . .as for whether or not it should be allowed in the case when it was written a long time ago but was never entered, that I'm a little more iffy on, since its not against the rules I'll allow it even though I personally wouldn't do it since the SOTM is meant to showcase newer stuff.

Thanks for bringing this up, its an excellent discussion topic, and I think perhaps an official rule spelling out the rules on rewrites should be drafted, what should and should not be allowed however--well that's up for debate, I can see valid points on both sides, but I'm 100% with Agri on songs previously entered.

Written By: K1chyd on 06/15/10 at 7:03 am

Yes, Agrimorfee's opinion seems to make sense;
Not in SOTM before = Not a problem

Written By: DoRitos on 06/25/10 at 6:20 pm

Personally, I think Agri hits it on the nose, I don't think it should be allowed if the song had been previously used for the SOTM contest, but as of right now its not officially against the rules. . .as for whether or not it should be allowed in the case when it was written a long time ago but was never entered, that I'm a little more iffy on, since its not against the rules I'll allow it even though I personally wouldn't do it since the SOTM is meant to showcase newer stuff.

Are you saying it is permissible to enter SOTM with a parody that was posted on AIR 18 months ago?  I have always been under the impression that an SOTM entry must be a parody written during the month of the current competion.  In other words SOTM for June 2010 must be a parody that has posted between and inclusive of June 1 through June 30.  Am I right?

Written By: Below Average Dave on 06/27/10 at 7:09 pm

Are you saying it is permissible to enter SOTM with a parody that was posted on AIR 18 months ago?  I have always been under the impression that an SOTM entry must be a parody written during the month of the current competion.  In other words SOTM for June 2010 must be a parody that has posted between and inclusive of June 1 through June 30.  Am I right?

Yes, what is being questioned is a song was redone and posted to the site during the month in question, and it was entered for SOTM, officially there is no rule against it--though there is question as to whether there should be. . .I've got mixed feelings on it.

Written By: DoRitos on 06/28/10 at 6:27 am

Yes, what is being questioned is a song was redone and posted to the site during the month in question, and it was entered for SOTM, officially there is no rule against it--though there is question as to whether there should be. . .I've got mixed feelings on it.

Dave - My question was not about a revised parody but the original.  I think however you answered that question.  I am most certain that the parody needs to be posted during the same month of the comp. 

As for my take on whether a rule should be imposed on this, I am against it.  I have revised more than a few parodies and most them were major re-writes.  Also, I have parody names that are exactly the same but they are two entirely different parodies.  Example, Elton John's OS Tiny Dancer has two different parodies called 'Necromancer".  One is a Halloween parody and the other is a Norman Bates parody which also could double for a Halloween parody.  So my take on this is to allow it, but only when it is a major rewrite.  As for how that is determined is up for debate.  I think I opened another can of worms with this idea.

Check for new replies or respond here...