inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ABC 2010 (U and V) RESULTS POSTED

Written By: Below Average Dave on 10/19/10 at 3:30 am

ABC 2010
(U and V)

Please note that the rule changes I suggested last year all passed, most of them unanimously, and the others by a wide margin.

- Any parody beginning with either of the current letters is eligible, except parodies that have been entered into any previous ABC competition
- You're not allowed to vote for your own parody
- Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it
- Anyone who's participated in any previous ABC contest may vote
- Any entrant who hasn't left a comment on all entries will forfeit all their points for that round

-All letters are to be combined into thirteen rounds (A/B, C/D, E/F etc) and numbers will go by their spelling (IE. "10 Candles" would qualify as a "T" entry being that ten is the spelling of 10).  Symbols will generally be ignored, and go by the remaining spelling instead (IE '**Love' would qualify as an L or '^#% 72' would qualify as an S) eliminating the need for the specialty round at the end of the competition.  In the event that symbols are clearly used to take the place of actual words, the word intended may be used (IE @$$hole can be used in A) and in the event that the name of a song is a symbol, the spelling of said symbol may be used (IE '*' would be asterisk-an A entry)  Articles do not count toward lettering

-3 week entry and voting periods

- 5 points for voting (only applicable to entrants who are required to vote) (also known as the Artistry rule, all those who vote and are in the round will have 5 points added to their score for that round)

-All Scores Count towards your totals for the tournament

-DQ's only dq the current round's score, in other words you will no longer have to sit out the next letter since you will always be forfeiting points when you don't vote (hence the 5 point bonus rule)

-Top entry for each letter (2 per round) makes the year end competition (Exception: if all entries in a given round are of the same letter, or no entry from either letter earned at least one point through voting, the top two overall for the round will be selected for the year end competition)

-No Extensions may be granted due to the length of the new voting periods (if you aren't positive you can vote in the last three days, you should vote early), late entries up until the first vote are at the mercy of whoever is currently hosting the ABC competition, this is not meant for strictness as much as time, 3 weeks is a lot of time, and extending past that messes up the dates and can cause ABCs to overlap into other contests who may have planned around it to avoid conflicts of deadlines

1. Urinate by The Conqueror of Parodies
   Yesterday

2. Ultimate Fighter by Abbott Skelding
   Paperback Writer

3. Up Past My Ankles by Matthias
   Lips of an Angel

4. Unleash Me by Guy DiRito
   Release Me

5. Vick's Back by Mark Scotti
   Get Back

6. Veruca S by Agrimorfee
   Luka

7. Vigilant Hero by Below Average Dave
   Working Class Hero

Subject: Re: ABC 2010 (U and V) Voting Thread Deadline: November 8th, 2010

Written By: Matthias on 10/20/10 at 10:53 pm

5 Points: Batman Average Dave... The same pun I used for SOTM (Heh, heh)
4 Points: Agrimorfee And The Chocolate Factory
3 Points: Michael... Vick
2 Points: WTF (The World Tour of Fighting) with Abbott Skelding!
1 Point: Guy Screwed The Pooch

Written By: WeirdAbbott on 10/22/10 at 2:06 pm

Nice work everyone!

5 pts- Up Past My Ankles
4 pts- Urinate
3 pts- Veruca S.
2 pts- Vigilant Hero
1 pt- Vick's Back

Written By: Matthias on 10/22/10 at 2:19 pm

Nice work everyone!

5 pts- Up Past My Ankles
4 pts- Urinate
3 pts- Veruca S.
2 pts- Vigilant Hero
1 pt- Vick's Back

Thanks!

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/23/10 at 1:53 am

5pts=Matthias
4pts=TCOP
3pts=Guy
2pts=Abbott
1pt=MScotti

Written By: Below Average Dave on 10/27/10 at 9:24 pm

1 Point to Abbott Skelding

2 Points to The Conqueror of Parodies

3 Points to Agrimorfee

4 Points to Guy DiRito

5 Points to Matthias

Written By: DoRitos on 11/04/10 at 5:15 pm

Number 1  5 Points  For COPs potty training 101
Number 6  4 Points  For Ag's story of the asSALTing by "sweet" Veruca
Number 2  3 Points  For Abbott's scrawny little one hit dead guy
Number 5  2 Points  For Mark's hounding of Vick
Number 7  1 Point   For BAD's Hero hassles

HM to Matt's soggy ankles and flounder scented bedroom suite.  Your parody provided for some great mental imagery.  I am DKTOS on your OS choice and I have never heard of the recording artists so I had a hard time catching the subtleties that I know are there but I just missed them.  Since I couldn't give you any points I gave you one hit of Karma.

Another round of very tough decisions on the voting.  I wish this round had six voting slots.  All entries deserved points.  There was no shortage of Beatles OSes.  Three out of seven were Beatles parodies.  Unusual, I think.  I really hate it that there were more parodies than points to award.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 11/04/10 at 9:26 pm

Karmaz for Guy! Also:

1 point to Agri
2 points to Abbott
3 points to Guy
4 points to Matthias
5 points to BAD

Written By: DoRitos on 11/09/10 at 6:10 pm

Dave - Any idea when this comp is going to conclude?  Are we waiting on someone to cast their vote?  I don't mind if we are but it would just be nice to know what the delay is.  ???

Written By: Matthias on 11/09/10 at 6:13 pm

Dave - Any idea when this comp is going to conclude?  Are we waiting on someone to cast their vote?  I don't mind if we are but it would just be nice to know what the delay is.   ???

I'll calculate the votes...

Gimme a second.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 11/09/10 at 7:05 pm

Gimme a second.

Sorry forgot about this deadline, if Matty doesn't complete it, I will do it shortly.

Written By: DoRitos on 11/09/10 at 7:12 pm

Gimme a second.

Matt - I wasn't pushing to get this round over with.  I believe that Mark did not vote and I don't mind waiting another day for him to cast his voting.  Has anyone PMed him on the matter?.  I hate to see anyone have to miss the next round because of not voting.  He commented on all of the songs in this round.  I think he just forgot to vote.  Anyway, I'm good with whatever gets done here.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 11/09/10 at 7:38 pm

Matt - I wasn't pushing to get this round over with.  I believe that Mark did not vote and I don't mind waiting another day for him to cast his voting.  Has anyone PMed him on the matte?.  I hate to see anyone have to miss the next round because of not voting.  He commented on all of the songs in this round.  I think he just forgot to vote.  Anyway, I'm good with whatever gets done here.

The new rules voted in at the end of last ABC don't punish next round because of the five point thing, but also the new rules don't also don't allow extensions because of the three week voting period. . .I'm getting results now

Written By: Below Average Dave on 11/09/10 at 7:46 pm

Results:

1st Matthias with 24 Points (U Winner)

2nd Agrimorfee with 20 Points (V Winner)
2nd The Conqueror of Parodies with 20 Points

4th Below Average Dave with 18 Points

5th Guy DiRito with 16 Points

6th Abbott Skelding with 15 Points

DQ Mark Scotti (Forfeits 12 Points)

Subject: Re: ABC 2010 (U and V) RESULTS POSTED

Written By: Matthias on 11/09/10 at 8:03 pm

Whoo-Hoo! Thank U guys very much!

Written By: ThaConqueror on 11/09/10 at 8:27 pm

Tied second? That's an achievement for a toilet-humour parody IMO. Congrats to Matthias and Agri!

Written By: DoRitos on 11/09/10 at 9:23 pm

Congrats Matt for your stunning win.  Glad to see you up there for a change.  Also heart felt congrats to you Ag and you COP.  All very well deserved. 

I feel sorry about Mark being disqualified.  I think he made an honest mistake.  I make a motion that if Mark simply forgot that he didn't vote that we allow him into the next round if he so desires since he did vote and comment on all other songs in this comp. which indicates to me his intention to vote.  What say ye - is there a second to the motion?  Either way I hope to see you all around for the next round.  It's been fun.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 11/09/10 at 9:42 pm

Congrats Matt for your stunning win.  Glad to see you up there for a change.  Also heart felt congrats to you Ag and you COP.  All very well deserved.  

I feel sorry about Mark being disqualified.  I think he made an honest mistake.  I make a motion that if Mark simply forgot that he didn't vote that we allow him into the next round if he so desires since he did vote and comment on all other songs in this comp. which indicates to me his intention to vote.  What say ye - is there a second to the motion?   Either way I hope to see you all around for the next round.  It's been fun.

Please see my reply post to your original post above the the final standings.

Written By: DoRitos on 11/10/10 at 3:40 am

Please see my reply post to your original post above the the final standings.

OK Dave, "thems the rules" and I can't argue that point.  Thanks for keeping the order on the rules as moderator.  You are performing a fine service for the rest of us and I thank you for that.

Written By: scottim50 on 11/19/10 at 3:06 pm

My apologies...
I've entered so many of them lately, I forgot about this one...

Check for new replies or respond here...