inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ABC 2010 (W and X) RESULTS POSTED

Written By: Below Average Dave on 11/09/10 at 7:54 pm

ABC 2010
(W and X)

Please note that the rule changes I suggested last year all passed, most of them unanimously, and the others by a wide margin.

- Any parody beginning with either of the current letters is eligible, except parodies that have been entered into any previous ABC competition
- You're not allowed to vote for your own parody
- Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it
- Anyone who's participated in any previous ABC contest may vote
- Any entrant who hasn't left a comment on all entries will forfeit all their points for that round

-All letters are to be combined into thirteen rounds (A/B, C/D, E/F etc) and numbers will go by their spelling (IE. "10 Candles" would qualify as a "T" entry being that ten is the spelling of 10).  Symbols will generally be ignored, and go by the remaining spelling instead (IE '**Love' would qualify as an L or '^#% 72' would qualify as an S) eliminating the need for the specialty round at the end of the competition.  In the event that symbols are clearly used to take the place of actual words, the word intended may be used (IE @$$hole can be used in A) and in the event that the name of a song is a symbol, the spelling of said symbol may be used (IE '*' would be asterisk-an A entry)  Articles do not count toward lettering

-3 week entry and voting periods

- 5 points for voting (only applicable to entrants who are required to vote) (also known as the Artistry rule, all those who vote and are in the round will have 5 points added to their score for that round)

-All Scores Count towards your totals for the tournament

-DQ's only dq the current round's score, in other words you will no longer have to sit out the next letter since you will always be forfeiting points when you don't vote (hence the 5 point bonus rule)

-Top entry for each letter (2 per round) makes the year end competition (Exception: if all entries in a given round are of the same letter, or no entry from either letter earned at least one point through voting, the top two overall for the round will be selected for the year end competition)

-No Extensions may be granted due to the length of the new voting periods (if you aren't positive you can vote in the last three days, you should vote early), late entries up until the first vote are at the mercy of whoever is currently hosting the ABC competition, this is not meant for strictness as much as time, 3 weeks is a lot of time, and extending past that messes up the dates and can cause ABCs to overlap into other contests who may have planned around it to avoid conflicts of deadlines

1. The Wrecks of the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald by Agrimorfee
   The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

2. Wholemeal Bun by The Conqueror of Parodies
   Good Clean Fun

3. Won't Wear Your Wedding Ring by Matthias
   Don't Want to Miss a Thing

4. Watch for Chucky by Below Average Dave
   Paparazzi

5. Wells Fargo by Andria
   Key Largo

6. We're In a Deep Recession (and They Knew It) by Mark Scotti
   It's the End of the World As We Know It

7. The Wizard of Oz Meets the Broke College Student by Abbott Skelding
   If I Only Had a Brain If I Only Had a Heart If I Only Had a Nerve

8. Wisened Guys by Guy DiRito
   Lyin Eyes

Subject: Re: ABC 2010 (W and X) Voting Thread (Deadline November 29th)

Written By: WeirdAbbott on 11/11/10 at 11:42 am

Nice job everyone!

5 pts- Watch for Dave
4 pts- The Wreck of the Grim
3 pts- Matt Won't Wear Your Wedding Ring
2 pts- We're In a Recession and Mark Knew It
1 pt- Conquerer's Bun

Written By: scottim50 on 11/18/10 at 1:29 pm

5 to The Wrecks of the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald by Agrimorfee
4 to The Wizard of Oz Meets the Broke College Student by Abbott Skelding
3 to Wisened Guys by Guy DiRito
2 to Won't Wear Your Wedding Ring by Matthias
1 to Watch for Chucky by Below Average Dave

Written By: Below Average Dave on 11/21/10 at 9:19 pm

HM to The Conqueror of Parodies and Guy DiRito

1 Point to Andria

2 Points to Abbott Skelding

3 Points to Agrimorfee

4 Points to Matthias

5 Points to Mark Scotti

Written By: scottim50 on 11/23/10 at 11:59 am

Thanks, Dave!!!
;D ;D ;D

Written By: agrimorfee on 11/24/10 at 7:52 am

5pts=Matthias
4pts=BAD
3pts=Mark
2pts=Andria
1pt=Abbott

Written By: DoRitos on 11/28/10 at 3:33 pm

Number 5  5 Points  For Andria's Farley's Fargo
Number 7  4 Points  For Abbott's triple feature
Number 3  3 Points  For Matt's negatively charged gross out gag
Number 2  2 Points  For COP's fun on a bun
Number 6  1 Point  For Mark's recessive posture

HM's to BAD and Ag.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 11/28/10 at 6:40 pm

1 point to Mark
2 points to Abbott
3 points to Agri
4 points to Matthias
5 points to Dave

HM to Guy

Written By: Below Average Dave on 11/30/10 at 7:11 pm

Results Are in. . .um Thank you everyone for my votes. and congrats to Agri and Abbott!

1st Below Average Dave with 20 Points <<W Entry No 1
1st Agrimorfee with 20 Points <<W Entry No 2

3rd Abbott Skelding with 18 Points

4th Mark Scotti with 17 Points

5th The Conqueror of Parodies with 8 Points
5th Guy DiRito with 8 Points

7th Matthias with 0 Points (Forfeit 26 points based on 21 + 5 voter points--and a gold--Matty what happened?!?!?!)
7th Andria with 0 Points (Forfeit 13 Points and a top 5 finish, hope you are OK

Luckily the new rule states that you are not DQd from the next round anymore, so see you in Y-Z

Written By: Matthias on 11/30/10 at 7:56 pm

Results Are in. . .um Thank you everyone for my votes. and congrats to Agri and Abbott!

7th Matthias with 0 Points (Forfeit 26 points based on 21 + 5 voter points--and a gold--Matty what happened?!?!?!)

Luckily the new rule states that you are not DQd from the next round anymore, so see you in Y-Z

Oh dammit! I thought I voted on this! Man I'm pissed now...

Written By: kilgore523 on 11/30/10 at 8:31 pm

I've had a terrible sinus infection and upper-respiratory virus and have been home from work and usually on the couch with my head feeling as if it will explode, thus not having the capacity and patience to vote. I've had writer's block on top of that, so I've been out of commission as far as parodies go.  :\'(

Thanks for your concern, B.A, Dave!  :)

Andria

Written By: DoRitos on 12/01/10 at 6:57 pm

Well - I've been off work and laid up with a broken neck for a while now and I didn't use that for an excuse to not comment and vote. (not that I even had a chance in this round but others may have)  I think anyone who does not vote causes the outcomes to work out differently.  I think we should not allow an immediate return.  If three weeks to vote isn't enough then what is?  When was this rule change made?  This is the first I've heard of it.

I must have been laid up when this change was made.  I think all members should be PMed on major changes.  This is a just a friendly suggestion.  My email is linked to amiright so that any PM hits my email which gets checked much more often.  I guess I missed getting my 2 cents in but if I were given the chance I would say what I'm saying nowl

I'm not ticked off, I just don't like it for the reasons that I have stated.  Please do not read me wrong.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 12/02/10 at 1:46 am

Well - I've been off work and laid up with a broken neck for a while now and I didn't use that for an excuse to not comment and vote. (not that I even had a chance in this round but others may have)  I think anyone who does not vote causes the outcomes to work out differently.  I think we should not allow an immediate return.  If three weeks to vote isn't enough then what is?  When was this rule change made?  This is the first I've heard of it.

I must have been laid up when this change was made.  I think all members should be PMed on major changes.  This is a just a friendly suggestion.  My email is linked to amiright so that any PM hits my email which gets checked much more often.  I guess I missed getting my 2 cents in but if I were given the chance I would say what I'm saying nowl

I'm not ticked off, I just don't like it for the reasons that I have stated.  Please do not read me wrong.

This rule was voted in a very long time ago buddy--I didn't arbitrarily change it. . .it was the rule from the first round of this particular ABC set, just as three week voting periods and no extensions. . .none of which were just placed in there without opinions. . .also the reason that this passed was because of the auto points rule being initiated. . .everyone who doesn't vote IS forfeiting points now--since these rule changes have been implemented, the number of people not voting has decreased on average quite a bit.  Also the rule changes that passed made it ABC (A/B)(C/D) etc, which means now if you were to not change the two round voting rule, you'd miss 4 letters from missing a single vote. . .which is far more of a punishment than when we had 27 rounds, and 2 rounds wasn't everything. . .2 rounds now is nearly a fifth of the contest.

Also PM'ng every person who has ever participated and may participate again in a particular contest is not at all feasible.  Rule changes have historical always been voted in or against at the time they are set with open voting for everyone, whether or not they were in a particular round (I have voted against or for several proposed rule changes in SOTM rounds that I wasn't in for example)  If a quick mail was set up to notify people who want to be notified of changes, that'd be different, but typing out PMs for every potential voter would be very time consuming, and that's time that I do not have, I know you understand how lack of free time is.

Don't forget that if you don't like a rule, you can propose it be changed back. . .and then next round would be open to voting on that rule suggestion.

Written By: DoRitos on 12/02/10 at 10:17 am

This rule was voted in a very long time ago buddy--I didn't arbitrarily change it. . .it was the rule from the first round of this particular ABC set, just as three week voting periods and no extensions. . .none of which were just placed in there without opinions. . .also the reason that this passed was because of the auto points rule being initiated. . .everyone who doesn't vote IS forfeiting points now--since these rule changes have been implemented, the number of people not voting has decreased on average quite a bit.  Also the rule changes that passed made it ABC (A/B)(C/D) etc, which means now if you were to not change the two round voting rule, you'd miss 4 letters from missing a single vote. . .which is far more of a punishment than when we had 27 rounds, and 2 rounds wasn't everything. . .2 rounds now is nearly a fifth of the contest.

Also PM'ng every person who has ever participated and may participate again in a particular contest is not at all feasible.  Rule changes have historical always been voted in or against at the time they are set with open voting for everyone, whether or not they were in a particular round (I have voted against or for several proposed rule changes in SOTM rounds that I wasn't in for example)  If a quick mail was set up to notify people who want to be notified of changes, that'd be different, but typing out PMs for every potential voter would be very time consuming, and that's time that I do not have, I know you understand how lack of free time is.

Don't forget that if you don't like a rule, you can propose it be changed back. . .and then next round would be open to voting on that rule suggestion.

Dave, Old buddy, you make sense to me once again.  And yes it is my bad that I miss a lot of postings on the board.  I guess the way you explain it now that it makes more sense to me.  I noticed that unfortunately Matt won a comp with 26 points and was DQed.  I feel for him.  But he still did win in my book unless of course any other DQs in that round had they voted may have changed that fact!  I will try to change my checking habits.  I can't complain in good faith when you all are doing the work to keep these things going.  I appreciate that you take your own time to moderate this comp.  I don't mean to put more work on  you.  I thought a mailing list could be set up on the board and just a notice to see important propasals could be sent out with relative ease but now I see the non feesbility in this idea.  You know for the most part I am usually easy on how things get run out here.  In fact I have often backed others' pleas to allow them a break. 

I guess through my own lack of attention that I was surprised at the fact that a DQ no longer resulted in not being able to compete in the next round.  I don't think I'll push the matter.  It has been in effect for nearly 27 rounds now.  I thought it was just something new that I somehow missed.  You are doing a fine job of moderating this board and you don't need any grief especially from me when it was my fault that I missed the change. 

Thanks for you explanation.  Sorry to have bothered you about this.

Check for new replies or respond here...