inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Amiright Holiday Special: Thanksgiving

Written By: Matthias on 11/17/10 at 10:03 am

This is not a multi-part competition (although I think I'm going to bring one up for Halloween and Christmas and Easter and other major Holidays).

This one of course is Thanksgiving
Since Holiday topics are very popular amongst Amiright I ask you all to submit your favorite "Thanksgiving" based parody and we'll vote on which one is the best.

The deadline to enter is: Next week the 24th and I'll give two weeks of voting time before starting the next edition of Amiright Holiday Special (which will be the 8th of December).

All are welcome to join!

(If you have any other questions feel free to ask!)

Deadline: 11/24/10

Subject: Re: Amiright Holiday Special: Thanksgiving (new competition)

Written By: Matthias on 11/17/10 at 10:05 am

"Big Ten Pound Turkey"

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/aerosmith49.shtml

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00zuDUNTeXM

Subject: Re: Amiright Holiday Special: Thanksgiving

Written By: Below Average Dave on 11/17/10 at 11:12 pm

I think a holiday series around the time of the major holidays is a great idea. . .I am entering

http://amiright.com/parody/2000s/destinyschild62.shtml (Independent Turkeys)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7fibtRFnLs (Parody of Independent Women by Destiny's Child)
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=5989781 (official recording)

Personally I think a holiday contest could be hosted for. . .

New Years
Valentine's Day
Mardi Gras
St. Patrick's Day
Easter
Oktoberfest
Halloween
Thanksgiving
Christmas & Hanukkah

I'd seriously advise advertising this contest as an AmIRight event on the amiright.com website.

These are just ideas--I'm just tossing these out there--I added this line as a response to someone's response to my post.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 11/17/10 at 11:22 pm

Primarily by one country, huh? But a holiday that's primarily celebrated by two countries (Thanksgiving is a mainly US/Canada thing according to Wikipedia)? That's just hunky-dory.

I'm not really angry or pissed off or anything, this kind of thing just sort irks me a little. It's why whenever I have to comment on a Thanksgiving parody I go into sarcastic-wonder mode. Therefore, I won't be in this contest, even though my whole shtick is to be in as many contests as possible. I think you might see me in about...four of the holidays in that list, assuming that newly written parodies are eligible.

(Do Mardi Gras and Oktoberfest actually celebrate anything? Or are they just let's-get-completely-smashed excuses?)

Written By: Below Average Dave on 11/17/10 at 11:28 pm

Primarily by one country, huh? But a holiday that's primarily celebrated by two countries (Thanksgiving is a mainly US/Canada thing according to Wikipedia)? That's just hunky-dory.

I'm not really angry or pissed off or anything, this kind of thing just sort irks me a little. It's why whenever I have to comment on a Thanksgiving parody I go into sarcastic-wonder mode. Therefore, I won't be in this contest, even though my whole shtick is to be in as many contests as possible. I think you might see me in about...four of the holidays in that list, assuming that newly written parodies are eligible.

(Do Mardi Gras and Oktoberfest actually celebrate anything? Or are they just let's-get-completely-smashed excuses?)

Yes Thanksgiving is celebrated by mainly two countries, but it also is celebrated by individuals in Granada (for a different, but United States related purpose), Liberia, and The Netherlands.  I don't know why that offends you, if you really like to suggest more--its not a closed minded thing dude. .

Mardi Gras started as a French holiday in which people eat heavily before a Christian fasting period--it happens before Ash Wednesday, and is related to lent.  It was America that turned it into a drinking holiday

That was just my opinion--I was trying to keep Independence Day off the list, because it is only America, that was concession not meant to insult you or anyone from outside the US. ..I don't know why that would irritate you.  Its also just discussion-its Matty's contest not mine--not a rule, just an idea.

Oktoberfest is a world fair held in Germany and celebrated in many countries.  It celebrates Bavarian culture, it also is an agricultural event for farmers

Written By: Matthias on 11/17/10 at 11:30 pm

While some of these might have bigger turn-outs than others here's the list of major holidays...

1. New Years
2. Martin Luther King Jr Day
3. Groundhog Day
4. Chinese New Year
5. Valentine's Day
6. President's Day
7. Ash Wednesday
8. Saint Patrick's Day
9. April Fool's Day
10. Easter
11. Earth Day
12. Cinco De Mayo
13. Mother's Day
14. Memorial Day
15. Flag Day
16. Father's Day
17. Independence Day
18. Labor Day
19. Grandparent's Day
20. Columbus Day
21. Halloween
22. All Saint's Day
23. Veteran's Day
24. Thanksgiving
25. Christmas

While things like Independence Day, Veteran's Day, Flag Day, and Memorial Day are pretty much all the same all the rest should be able to be done while some might not turn out giant crowds especially things like Grandparent's Day or Groundhog Day...

Written By: Below Average Dave on 11/17/10 at 11:45 pm

While some of these might have bigger turn-outs than others here's the list of major holidays...

1. New Years
2. Martin Luther King Jr Day
3. Groundhog Day
4. Chinese New Year
5. Valentine's Day
6. President's Day
7. Ash Wednesday
8. Saint Patrick's Day
9. April Fool's Day
10. Easter
11. Earth Day
12. Cinco De Mayo
13. Mother's Day
14. Memorial Day
15. Flag Day
16. Father's Day
17. Independence Day
18. Labor Day
19. Grandparent's Day
20. Columbus Day
21. Halloween
22. All Saint's Day
23. Veteran's Day
24. Thanksgiving
25. Christmas

While things like Independence Day, Veteran's Day, Flag Day, and Memorial Day are pretty much all the same all the rest should be able to be done while some might not turn out giant crowds especially things like Grandparent's Day or Groundhog Day...

Don't forget Australia Day, Anzac, Bank Holiday or Boxing Day

They aren't big here, but they are in countries that have several writers on the site, and may inspire some of us to write about them as well

Also I'd seriously consider cutting Flag Day, All Saints Day, Ash Wednesday, Chinese New Year and President's Day (You have Memorial Day already, Flag Day is redundant--All Saints Day I've never heard of, but I guess it exists, Its a very specific holiday--that's up to you, to my knowledge we have no Chinese writers here, and I'd seriously doubt any turn out for it, President's Day would result in a bunch of political crap, I don't know that we really want to encourage that,  and Ash Wednesday isn't really something I see written about--its really all leading up to Easter.)  

Your contest--I'm butting out before TCOP jumps down my throat again.

Written By: Matthias on 11/17/10 at 11:48 pm

I've never even heard of Aznac...

Written By: Below Average Dave on 11/17/10 at 11:52 pm

I've never even heard of Aznac...

Anzac is celebrated primarily by Australia and New Zealand on April 25th, its kind of like our Memorial Day but for those who fought in Turkey during World War I

Written By: ThaConqueror on 11/17/10 at 11:55 pm

Yes Thanksgiving is celebrated by mainly two countries, but it also is celebrated by individuals in Granada (for a different, but United States related purpose), Liberia, and The Netherlands.  I don't know why that offends you, if you really like to suggest more--its not a closed minded thing dude. .

Mardi Gras started as a French holiday in which people eat heavily before a Christian fasting period--it happens before Ash Wednesday, and is related to lent.  It was America that turned it into a drinking holiday

That was just my opinion--I was trying to keep Independence Day off the list, because it is only America, that was concession not meant to insult you or anyone from outside the US. ..I don't know why that would irritate you.  Its also just discussion-its Matty's contest not mine--not a rule, just an idea.

Oktoberfest is a world fair held in Germany and celebrated in many countries.  It celebrates Bavarian culture, it also is an agricultural event for farmers

It's not offending to me, no no no no no. It's a very mild annoyance. It's one of those parody topics that I can't really get into due to it not being a big thing where I live, but it's not something I start throwing bricks at people for, that'd just be stupid.

I wasn't being angry, it was just a snarky snide remark, no more meant to offend than your listing of Independence Day was.

And thanks for the info on Mardi Gras and Oktoberfest, it is most fascinating.

Anzac is celebrated primarily by Australia and New Zealand on April 25th, its kind of like our Memorial Day but for those who fought in Turkey during World War I

Specifically the guys from ANZAC (the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps). And don't forget the anzac biscuits. Boy, are they delicious.

Also, in my opinion, Australia Day is probably the only day when Australians could be arsed to try and remember our national anthem.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 11/17/10 at 11:59 pm

It's not offending to me, no no no no no. It's a very mild annoyance. It's one of those parody topics that I can't really get into due to it not being a big thing where I live, but it's not something I start throwing bricks at people for, that'd just be stupid.

I wasn't being angry, it was just a snarky snide remark, no more meant to offend than your listing of Independence Day was.

And thanks for the info on Mardi Gras and Oktoberfest, it is most fascinating.

Specifically the guys from ANZAC (the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps). And don't forget the anzac biscuits. Boy, are they delicious.

Also, in my opinion, Australia Day is probably the only day when Australians could be arsed to try and remember our national anthem.

Lol thanks I thought you were mad at me or something--well I move to include ANZAC and Australia Day. . .to be more inclusive, especially with all the flag day types--too many if you ask me, I only celebrate Independence Day among the patriot holidays--we really do have too many holidays here--that's because this country LOVES being plastered, and holidays are an excuse to drink--even Easter and Halloween. . .I don't know a rising dead corpse doesn't make me want to drink, pray maybe, but not drink

Written By: wildcard on 11/18/10 at 12:00 am

okay things I've written and /or things I'm going to write?  how many can I enter? who's the we that's voting? all us parodists? or a few judges?

Written By: ThaConqueror on 11/18/10 at 12:03 am

Lol thanks I thought you were mad at me or something--well I move to include ANZAC and Australia Day. . .to be more inclusive, especially with all the flag day types--too many if you ask me, I only celebrate Independence Day among the patriot holidays--we really do have too many holidays here--that's because this country LOVES being plastered, and holidays are an excuse to drink--even Easter and Halloween. . .I don't know a rising dead corpse doesn't make me want to drink, pray maybe, but not drink

Seems to be the American thing. If Keith Richards can smoke it and Michael Bay can blow it up, the typical American can find an excuse to drink themselves silly.

Written By: scottim50 on 11/18/10 at 1:27 pm

Turkey Gizzards - A parody Of Pinball Wizard by The Who

http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/thewho170.shtml

8-P 8-P 8-P ;D ;D ;D

Written By: agrimorfee on 11/19/10 at 9:36 am

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/u228.shtml

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBMQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D98W9QuMq-2k&ei=d5nmTNmBKsK5nAeYs_zHCQ&usg=AFQjCNEOIcHjzdpiMJhV_RoGhE2z_cHYuw

Written By: Christie Marie M on 11/22/10 at 10:46 pm

Wow, contest for holiday specials! Loving it, loving it!

Since I don't have time to submit a new one (heck, I can never find the time for parodies lately) here's mine:

Thanksgiving:
http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/boneym17.shtml

YouTube Vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvDMlk3kSYg

Check for new replies or respond here...