inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Should we start another Decathalon or Ages of Amiright?

Written By: Matthias on 08/15/11 at 10:13 am

We have a few new people in our playing pool these days (Blaydeman, Christie Marie M, Wild Child Jin) and it's been a few good years since we've actually threw one of these contests. So do you guys think it's time that we had another "Ages of Amiright" or "Decathalon" contest. I mean, now that I'm back in Ohio and just looking for a job I've got plenty of free time again in order to host a competition of this magnitude and these contests have always been a blast in the past. (Although from what I remember attention died down a little bit in the last Decathalon).

Soooooo... The question is. Would you guys like to do another one of these contests and which would would you like to do?

Keep me updated because I'm obviously interested in running again if there are people out there willing to play.

Subject: Re: Should we start another Decathalon or Ages of Amiright?

Written By: Blaydeman on 08/15/11 at 1:14 pm

Like always, I'm up for any and every contest ever!!!!!!! I'm pumped ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D!

Written By: Wild_Child_JIN on 08/15/11 at 3:01 pm

We have a few new people in our playing pool these days (Blaydeman, Christie Marie M, Wild Child Jin) and it's been a few good years since we've actually threw one of these contests. So do you guys think it's time that we had another "Ages of Amiright" or "Decathalon" contest. I mean, now that I'm back in Ohio and just looking for a job I've got plenty of free time again in order to host a competition of this magnitude and these contests have always been a blast in the past. (Although from what I remember attention died down a little bit in the last Decathalon).

Soooooo... The question is. Would you guys like to do another one of these contests and which would would you like to do?

Keep me updated because I'm obviously interested in running again if there are people out there willing to play.

What is an "Ages of Amiright" or "Decathalon" contest?  ??? I've never heard of it....  ???

Written By: Matthias on 08/15/11 at 3:16 pm

What is an "Ages of Amiright" or "Decathalon" contest?  ??? I've never heard of it....  ???

Well... "Ages of Amiright" is a contest that involves a parodist writing a song that contains both a topic (chosen by the host of the competition) and a song to parody (within a 5 year period). For example I might have the contestants do a song about "Food" from "1995-2000".

OR

"Decathalon" is similar to the "Ages of Amiright" but instead of a 5 year period it's a genre. So instead of "1995-2000" it would be something along the lines of "Hip-Hop/ Rap"

There are 10 rounds in each contest and each round lasts 2 weeks (with another 2 weeks to vote).

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/15/11 at 4:48 pm

I would really encourage the newbs to go for one of these, it really challenges your parody writing skills.

Not veering too far OT --How many more rounds of Artistry are left?

Written By: Matthias on 08/15/11 at 4:52 pm

I would really encourage the newbs to go for one of these, it really challenges your parody writing skills.

Not veering too far OT --How many more rounds of Artistry are left?

Haha, 40 something I think

Written By: ThaConqueror on 08/15/11 at 6:22 pm

I'm in (big shocker there)!

Written By: Wild_Child_JIN on 08/15/11 at 6:49 pm

What happens if you don't get your parody done within 2 weeks or fail to vote within that time period?  ???

Written By: Matthias on 08/15/11 at 8:06 pm

What happens if you don't get your parody done within 2 weeks or fail to vote within that time period?  ???

You'll get a 0 for that round but you're still able to continue in the contest.

Written By: Matthias on 08/15/11 at 8:26 pm

Let's get a contestant list together... Who's all in?

Three votes for Ages of Amiright

Zero votes for Decathalon

1. Matthias
2. Conqueror of Parodies
3. Blaydeman
4. Arwen
5. Weird Abbott
6. Christie Marie M
7. Jeff Reuben
8. DJ Blaze
9. D-Mon
10. Andria

Written By: Arwen on 08/16/11 at 11:54 am

Yay! 

I'm totally in...have had a BLAST with both of these contests in the past, and I really really really love assignments.  AND...I vote for AGES...because I never EVER seem to be able to do something R&B/Rappy...and I don't want my parody writing skills challenged.  ;)

Thanks, Matty, for the PM...I might have noticed this thread in a couple of weeks...but you never know.

And I'll make Jeff play, too.  Somehow.  I'll make him.  I have my ways.

Written By: WeirdAbbott on 08/16/11 at 11:57 am

I'm in...my vote also goes for the Ages one.

Also, do you have to write whole new parodies for each round or can you rely on ones that have already been written?

Written By: Matthias on 08/16/11 at 11:59 am

I'm in...my vote also goes for the Ages one.

Also, do you have to write whole new parodies for each round or can you rely on ones that have already been written?

You can totally use ones that you already have in stock (as long as that song is from that 5-year period and about that Topic everything is free game)

Written By: philbo on 08/16/11 at 12:05 pm

Sorry, I don't have anything like the time needed to take part these days..

Written By: Wild_Child_JIN on 08/16/11 at 12:13 pm

I just don't think that I could keep up with it, sorry! :( Maybe later?  :-\\

Written By: Christie Marie M on 08/16/11 at 3:14 pm

Hi there, I know that it's been awhile since I v/c'd or written parodies for AIR, or set foot in that site for that matter. Decathalon was a very fun contest, but I can give Ages of Amiright a try, for a change since I never entered that contest yet.

Written By: jreuben on 08/16/11 at 7:14 pm

I'm in.  Put my vote down for the opposite of whatever Arwen picked  ;)

(I'll do either one)

Written By: Arwen on 08/16/11 at 10:33 pm

I'm in.  Put my vote down for the opposite of whatever Arwen picked  ;)

(I'll do either one)

:-*

Written By: K1chyd on 08/17/11 at 12:13 pm

Hallo there and thanks for the heads up, like Philbo et al I probably don't have the time to participate (or at least not much) but since you've made this an open thread I like to throw out an idea for a similar type of contest I once had but never got around to run, basically because there were too many comps at the time anyway.

Though this one would be different in that it would encourage participation more and more the longer we managed to keep it going.

Working Title: Amiright 1-100

Round one: The original song is free but its title must contain the word "one" (or "1").

Round two: The original song is free but its title must must contain the word "two" (or "2").
Points: The winner gets two points towards a total score. The second best gets one point.

Round three: The original song is free but its title must must contain the word "three" (or "3").
Points: The winner gets three points. The second best gets two points. Number three gets one point.

Round four: The original song is free but its title must must contain the word "four" (or "4").
Points: The winner gets four points. The second best gets three points. Number three gets two points. Number four gets one point.

Etc... you get the idea by now, right? ;-)

Voting as usual with 5-1 points for favorites but for every round that takes place there would be more points at play towards the overall standings as sketched above, by the time we get to 99 the winner will get 99 points and the one voted second in that round 98 etc. Getting in early might be the best thing for improving writing skills, but getting in late can still land you a bunch of points toward the total.

Just an idea I never got around to run. And yes, there are at least one song for every number up to 100:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Wikilists/List_of_songs_with_numbers_in_the_title

Written By: DJ Blaze on 08/17/11 at 7:59 pm

Well.... OK, I think I'll enter. Ages Of AmIRight would be a cool choice, but my musical knowledge pretty much goes only from the 70s to now, so I might be in a little trouble :P

Written By: Matthias on 08/17/11 at 9:19 pm

I want to try to get 10 people involved. The more diversity the better (seeing that in previous contests we didn't get everybody involved in the game during certain rounds). So we can at least have a good number. We're at 8 now so all we need is 2 more. Anybody have any ideas on who would be awesome in this?

We're going to start "Ages of Amiright Again" on Monday!

Written By: DJ Blaze on 08/18/11 at 2:01 pm

Anybody have any ideas on who would be awesome in this?

How about Dave?

Written By: D-Mon on 08/18/11 at 4:10 pm

I'm definitely in!

Written By: Matthias on 08/18/11 at 4:45 pm

I'm definitely in!

Excellent! We're only one player away from getting this off the ground! I mean we could totally play with 9 contestants but I would love to see if we can get 10!

Written By: kilgore523 on 08/19/11 at 12:23 am

If it's sometime *after* next weekend (I'll be away from the internet at that time), I'm in.

Written By: Matthias on 08/19/11 at 10:42 am

If it's sometime *after* next weekend (I'll be away from the internet at that time), I'm in.

It starts Monday but since there are two weeks to write. It leaves you one week to write something for Round One.

Now we have 10 people... Let's begin!

Written By: Matthias on 08/19/11 at 12:45 pm

Well.... OK, I think I'll enter. Ages Of AmIRight would be a cool choice, but my musical knowledge pretty much goes only from the 70s to now, so I might be in a little trouble :P

Thanks to the power of Youtube you can hear music going as far back as the beginning of time. Luckily for you I'm stopping at 1950

Written By: jreuben on 08/19/11 at 1:18 pm

Damn, I had a asskicking parody from 5630 B.C. that would have been perfect for this contest.

Thanks to the power of Youtube you can hear music going as far back as the beginning of time. Luckily for you I'm stopping at 1950

Written By: Matthias on 08/19/11 at 1:22 pm

Damn, I had a asskicking parody from 5630 B.C. that would have been perfect for this contest.

"Grunt Oog Club" by Oog and the Grunters? I'm a fan of that parody too.

Written By: jreuben on 08/19/11 at 1:43 pm

It ROCKS!!!  No really.  It's about rocks.

"Grunt Oog Club" by Oog and the Grunters? I'm a fan of that parody too.

Written By: Matthias on 08/19/11 at 2:57 pm

Since we have all the contestants we need to start the game I'll tell you what the topic and years are (BUT I won't set up the pages until Monday).

Topic: "Sports and Exercise"
Years: "1965- 1960"

As for me, I'm probably going to either do The Beatles or the Beach Boys for this round.

A Beach Boys parody about surfing would just be too perfect.

Written By: kilgore523 on 08/19/11 at 3:20 pm

Sounds great... would ping-pong count as a sport, since there are table tennis tournaments on Espn-2 frequently? I have watched more than a few of those as well as darts and gun shooting on TV while I was sick recently...

I have an idea of a ping-pong parody based on "A Hard Day's Night" by the Beatles, which is from 1964 and fits into the guidelines...

Andria

Written By: Matthias on 08/19/11 at 3:30 pm

Sounds great... would ping-pong count as a sport, since there are table tennis tournaments on Espn-2 frequently? I have watched more than a few of those as well as darts and gun shooting on TV while I was sick recently...

I have an idea of a ping-pong parody based on "A Hard Day's Night" by the Beatles, which is from 1964 and fits into the guidelines...

Andria

Ping Pong is without a doubt a sport!

Written By: DJ Blaze on 08/19/11 at 4:44 pm

Does DDR count as a sport?

Written By: jreuben on 08/19/11 at 4:49 pm

Might make a case for exercise.

Written By: Matthias on 08/19/11 at 4:49 pm

That's more of a game, but it is exercise. If you emphasize the exercise of DDR in the parody itself.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 08/19/11 at 8:18 pm

That's more of a game, but it is exercise. If you emphasize the exercise of DDR in the parody itself.

Ah, OK, I'll just pick another sport then. (In Germany, DDR is considered a sport if I remember correctly.)

Written By: Matthias on 08/19/11 at 9:53 pm

Ah, OK, I'll just pick another sport then. (In Germany, DDR is considered a sport if I remember correctly.)

Well, I did some research for you DJ Blaze and this is what Wikipedia has to say on the subject of DDR being a sport: "in Norway, 'Machine Dance' has even been registered as an official sport"

So, Yes. You can write a parody about DDR.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 08/20/11 at 7:35 am

Well, I did some research for you DJ Blaze and this is what Wikipedia has to say on the subject of DDR being a sport: "in Norway, 'Machine Dance' has even been registered as an official sport"

So, Yes. You can write a parody about DDR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/20/11 at 8:09 am

Good luck everyone! As I informed Matty via pm I dont have time to participate, but I will actively view from the sidelines.

Written By: WeirdAbbott on 08/20/11 at 8:58 am

Luckily for me, I did all of my research for 50's songs last night and I wrote mine this morning.
"Mama (He Treats Your Daughter Mean" by Ruth Brown
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBRfNFxG3u4

Written By: jreuben on 08/20/11 at 9:17 am

Of course, the time period for this song is 1960-1965  :)

Luckily for me, I did all of my research for 50's songs last night and I wrote mine this morning.
"Mama (He Treats Your Daughter Mean" by Ruth Brown
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBRfNFxG3u4

Written By: Matthias on 08/20/11 at 9:25 am

Of course, the time period for this song is 1960-1965  :)

Errr... The time period is the 60s not the 50s, dude.

Written By: WeirdAbbott on 08/20/11 at 9:47 am

Aw poop...I must have misread it because you have it "1965-1960", so I thought it said "1955-1960" (which I just realized, my song wouldn't have applied for that one either haha. Oh well, I was trying to write my 199th parody anyway to get it out of the way anyway.

Written By: jreuben on 08/20/11 at 10:29 am

Aw poop...I must have misread it because you have it "1965-1960", so I thought it said "1955-1960" (which I just realized, my song wouldn't have applied for that one either haha. Oh well, I was trying to write my 199th parody anyway to get it out of the way anyway.

Good practice for the round  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...