inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2013 ABC Competition A/B Entry Thread (1/12/13)

Written By: Matthias on 12/07/12 at 10:29 pm

(Not exactly sure what happened to Blaydeman but I'll take a stab at running the ABC contest this time around... I'm also changing it to a two week entry and voting deadline because why should ABC be any different than every other contest that Inthe00s runs (Other than SOTM that has a 8 day entry and the rest of the month for voting)

(Dave brought up a good point so instead of making a new thread, I'm just going to change the date of this one so that we can have this contest starting up at the start of 2013)

A/B

Rules/Guidelines

- Any parody beginning with either of the current letters is eligible, except parodies that have been entered into any previous ABC competition
- You're not allowed to vote for your own parody
- Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it
- Anyone who's participated in any previous ABC contest may vote
- Any entrant who hasn't left a comment on all entries will forfeit all their points for that round

-All letters are to be combined into thirteen rounds (A/B, C/D, E/F etc) and numbers will go by their spelling (IE. "10 Candles" would qualify as a "T" entry being that ten is the spelling of 10).  Symbols will generally be ignored, and go by the remaining spelling instead (IE '**Love' would qualify as an L or '^#% 72' would qualify as an S) eliminating the need for the specialty round at the end of the competition.  In the event that symbols are clearly used to take the place of actual words, the word intended may be used (IE @$$hole can be used in A) and in the event that the name of a song is a symbol, the spelling of said symbol may be used (IE '*' would be asterisk-an A entry)  Articles do not count toward lettering

-2 week entry and voting periods

- 5 points for voting (only applicable to entrants who are required to vote) (also known as the Artistry rule, all those who vote and are in the round will have 5 points added to their score for that round)

-All Scores Count towards your totals for the tournament

-DQ's only dq the current round's score, in other words you will no longer have to sit out the next letter since you will always be forfeiting points when you don't vote (hence the 5 point bonus rule)

-Top entry for each letter (2 per round) makes the year end competition (Exception: if all entries in a given round are of the same letter, or no entry from either letter earned at least one point through voting, the top two overall for the round will be selected for the year end competition)

-No Extensions may be granted due to the length of the new voting periods (if you aren't positive you can vote in the last three days, you should vote early), late entries up until the first vote are at the mercy of whoever is currently hosting the ABC competition, this is not meant for strictness as much as time, 3 weeks is a lot of time, and extending past that messes up the dates and can cause ABCs to overlap into other contests who may have planned around it to avoid conflicts of deadlines.

Deadline: 12/21/12

Subject: Re: 2012 ABC Competition A/B Entry Thread (12/21/12)

Written By: ThaConqueror on 12/08/12 at 12:49 am

I approve of the shift back to two weeks (the more time I have to vote, the more likely I am to forget), though I preferred it when each letter had it's own round. Less hard cuts to make with that. That said, time for one of my United State of Pop self-challenge parodies to get its time in the spotlight!

http://i42.tinypic.com/24za9t2.png

Bend That Way

Vid for "Born This Way"

Written By: Below Average Dave on 12/08/12 at 8:58 am

(Not exactly sure what happened to Blaydeman but I'll take a stab at running the ABC contest this time around... I'm also changing it to a two week entry and voting deadline because why should ABC be any different than every other contest that Inthe00s runs (Other than SOTM that has a 8 day entry and the rest of the month for voting)

A/B

Rules/Guidelines

- Any parody beginning with either of the current letters is eligible, except parodies that have been entered into any previous ABC competition
- You're not allowed to vote for your own parody
- Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it
- Anyone who's participated in any previous ABC contest may vote
- Any entrant who hasn't left a comment on all entries will forfeit all their points for that round

-All letters are to be combined into thirteen rounds (A/B, C/D, E/F etc) and numbers will go by their spelling (IE. "10 Candles" would qualify as a "T" entry being that ten is the spelling of 10).  Symbols will generally be ignored, and go by the remaining spelling instead (IE '**Love' would qualify as an L or '^#% 72' would qualify as an S) eliminating the need for the specialty round at the end of the competition.  In the event that symbols are clearly used to take the place of actual words, the word intended may be used (IE @$$hole can be used in A) and in the event that the name of a song is a symbol, the spelling of said symbol may be used (IE '*' would be asterisk-an A entry)  Articles do not count toward lettering

-2 week entry and voting periods

- 5 points for voting (only applicable to entrants who are required to vote) (also known as the Artistry rule, all those who vote and are in the round will have 5 points added to their score for that round)

-All Scores Count towards your totals for the tournament

-DQ's only dq the current round's score, in other words you will no longer have to sit out the next letter since you will always be forfeiting points when you don't vote (hence the 5 point bonus rule)

-Top entry for each letter (2 per round) makes the year end competition (Exception: if all entries in a given round are of the same letter, or no entry from either letter earned at least one point through voting, the top two overall for the round will be selected for the year end competition)

-No Extensions may be granted due to the length of the new voting periods (if you aren't positive you can vote in the last three days, you should vote early), late entries up until the first vote are at the mercy of whoever is currently hosting the ABC competition, this is not meant for strictness as much as time, 3 weeks is a lot of time, and extending past that messes up the dates and can cause ABCs to overlap into other contests who may have planned around it to avoid conflicts of deadlines.

Deadline: 12/21/12

I'm not entering, but the 2012 ABC competition has already commenced, and we aren't in 2013 yet, traditionally this has been a cool off period so that the competition doesn't run back to back and people can have a breather.  Choosing not to have that I suppose is fine, but 2012 is still on the front contest board and no one's really had a chance to breath from it, and already another one has started.  At any rate, this competition should be the 2013 ABC competition, but by running it on end as it is now, it'll be completed before the summer. . .meaning you may end up having two ABC competitions a year--just saying.

Written By: Matthias on 12/08/12 at 9:23 am

I'm not entering, but the 2012 ABC competition has already commenced, and we aren't in 2013 yet, traditionally this has been a cool off period so that the competition doesn't run back to back and people can have a breather.  Choosing not to have that I suppose is fine, but 2012 is still on the front contest board and no one's really had a chance to breath from it, and already another one has started.  At any rate, this competition should be the 2013 ABC competition, but by running it on end as it is now, it'll be completed before the summer. . .meaning you may end up having two ABC competitions a year--just saying.

Oh.... I didn't think about that... Maybe I should start this on Jan 1st then... Everybody just want to do that? Or what?

Subject: Re: 2013 ABC Competition A/B Entry Thread (1/12/13)

Written By: WeirdAbbott on 12/09/12 at 5:54 am

Sounds good to me, I need a breather (not that I've been able to write that many parodies lately haha)...January 1st!

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/10/12 at 9:59 pm

1/12/13 sounds good to me too. Not to write more, but as a breather from the holidaze.

Written By: Blaydeman on 01/09/13 at 12:34 pm

"Heart Attack"
http://www.amiright.com/parody/2010s/treysongz0.shtml

Parody of "Heart Attack" by Trey Songz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r3MZNCGzVY
http://www.steltercreativewoodworks.com/STELTER1/Golden_Idol_Re/IMAG0003.JPG

Written By: Blaydeman on 01/09/13 at 12:41 pm

And to clarify something, I was waiting until the end of the year to officially post the 2012 ABC Song of the Year results (which I will post tonight) for people that wanted to vote at the last minute. I apologize for not relaying that info to you guys. And I will still like to run this competition if you'd let me.

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/10/13 at 4:12 pm

Banana Republican
http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/fromscrubsmymusical0.shtml

DKTOS ? Go browsing through http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=lIcEc2b9am4

Written By: Max Power on 01/11/13 at 6:26 pm

http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/thebeatles2613.shtml

Axeman

Written By: Matthias on 01/12/13 at 10:12 am

"Boobies"

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_MfsZp6tveUs/TClX7WfO7KI/AAAAAAAACSI/c8sm0heVJ1A/s1600/blue_footed_boobie.28974724_std.jpg

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2010s/justinbieber15.shtml

Written By: Blaydeman on 01/15/13 at 6:35 pm

Are we all ready to post the voting thread? I can do it tonight, if so.

Written By: Matthias on 01/15/13 at 7:02 pm

Are we all ready to post the voting thread? I can do it tonight, if so.

Sure. Sorry. I've been really busy lately.

Check for new replies or respond here...