inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Song Parody Contests?

Written By: higgie on 08/07/13 at 12:42 pm

Hi. I recently wrote a song parody about Paula Deen and sent it to a company that performs this kind of thing on stage in a small club in Texas. They loved my work and performed it for an audience, and they've asked me to do more. I've sent them about half a dozen more parodies and they are reviewing them right now.

I would like to find more establishments like this one and see if they'd also be interested in my work. Does anyone know if there's an on-line directory of places that do cabaret-style entertainment and that might be interested in song parodies?

Or, can someone direct me to finding info on song parody contests?

Please advise. Thank you.  ::)

Subject: Re: Song Parody Contests?

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/10/13 at 3:27 pm

I wish I could give you a direct line of reference, but you need to look around where you live. Do you live in/near a city like Chicago, Dallas, NYC? Look in the local papers for venues that offer an Open Mike Night where you can perform--you won't get paid, and you may need to pay a fee to join in. But that's how lots of people get started, no matter what their talent is.

You know something, if you happen to be REALLY polished with your act, why not try out for America's Got Talent on NBC? After the season ends next month, they will likely begin auditions for NEXT year. Just follow nbc.com.

Check for new replies or respond here...