inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Artistry 2 Round 58 (Cartoon Theme Songs) Enter by 9/22/15

Written By: ThaConqueror on 09/09/15 at 1:02 am

Check your TV Guides, it's time to parody some cartoon theme songs!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/24/51/14/245114a2f0a5c97a83a4ed1f93361487.jpg

Youtube search for "Cartoon Theme Songs"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Artistry Rules For Newcomers:
- If one wishes to enter (entry in all rounds is not compulsory), entry must be written (or selected from back catalog) within two weeks of the posting of the entry thread
- Voting runs during the same two-week period as the next entry thread, so organise your time wisely
- All participants must comment on all entrants and vote by the deadline.  Failure to vote will forfeit all points from that round, but it won't disqualify you from participating in the next round
- Voting will take place by replying to the appropriate voting thread
- If a person withdraws from an Artistry Round prior to the end of a round, all entrants who voted for that person's entry will be permitted to pick one new song to earn a bonus point, all other songs will be realigned accordingly.  There will be no penalty on those who don't change their vote.
- Once a vote is posted, it cannot be changed UNLESS rule 3 applies OR there was a double-vote by accident.
- Late entries will be accepted until the 1st vote has been posted.
- The deadline is a strict deadline, the moment the date has reached the day after the deadline, no votes will count, this is to reduce last minute voting, or sympathy/favoritism towards different entrants.

Subject: Re: Artistry 2 Round 58 (TV Theme Songs) Enter by 9/22/15

Written By: ThaConqueror on 09/09/15 at 1:05 am

Coming soon: to the tune of the Nickelodeon TMNT theme, I relate one of the many sports I fail at. Stay tuned for "I Am Really Bad At Hurdles"!

Written By: ThaConqueror on 09/09/15 at 5:52 am

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss235/orpheon/fun-fail-gallery-20.jpg

I Am Really Bad At Hurdles

Written By: ThaConqueror on 09/09/15 at 7:55 am

Question: Do preexisting songs count for this round? For example does The Who's "Baba O'Riley" count because it was the theme song for CSI: NY?

I'm gonna say no on that one, it just seems like cheating somehow. Everyone else got that? Everything listed on Real Song Theme Tune on TV Tropes is ineligible for this round.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 09/09/15 at 8:16 am

Honestly I was hoping to parody "I'm No Superman" by Lazlo Bane used for Scrubs or "At Least It Was Here" by The 88 used for Community but both of those are on this list.... BUT "Hey Beautiful" by The Solids used for How I Met Your Mother is still free game! Bwa ha ha ha ha!!! (Although that kind of feels like cheating too because they only use the "Ba ba ba ba ba" part of the song for their theme song...)

Well that's part of the reason I felt that using pre-existing songs would be cheating: to me, the intent behind having a "TV Theme Songs" round would be to try and tackle much shorter songs than usual, so using a pre-existing song would undermine that theoretical intent (I don't know who originally submitted this round back in the original brainstorm thread so I can't say for certain). Anyone else wanna weigh in on this?

Written By: WeirdAbbott on 09/09/15 at 8:20 am

I'm gonna take a page out of Matty's book and do a parody of the full version of the Big Bang Theory theme.
I'm also going to do my best to make a PG(ish) telling of "The Real Big Bang".

Also, my backup idea was doing the Craig Ferguson Late, Late Show Theme (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q22ut6HchNg)
...so if anyone wants to tackle that one, that'd be a great option!

Written By: WeirdAbbott on 09/09/15 at 8:23 am

Well that's part of the reason I felt that using pre-existing songs would be cheating: to me, the intent behind having a "TV Theme Songs" round would be to try and tackle much shorter songs than usual, so using a pre-existing song would undermine that theoretical intent (I don't know who originally submitted this round back in the original brainstorm thread so I can't say for certain). Anyone else wanna weigh in on this?

Honestly, I think it goes on a case-by-case basis. Depending on how popular the song is..."Baba O'Reilly" I think is too popular and well known. The song used for Scrubs or HIMYM I think would be okay because most people know them as those themes and not as their own freestanding songs (I certainly didn't realize "Hey Beautiful" by The Solids" was that theme...and I LOVE that show). But that's just me...

Written By: ThaConqueror on 09/09/15 at 8:26 am

Honestly, I think it goes on a case-by-case basis. Depending on how popular the song is..."Baba O'Reilly" I think is too popular and well known. The song used for Scrubs or HIMYM I think would be okay because most people know them as those themes and not as their own freestanding songs (I certainly didn't realize "Hey Beautiful" by The Solids" was that theme...and I LOVE that show). But that's just me...

Yeah, that makes sense, go with that. Though now that I've okayed that sort of thing I hope it doesn't mean I'll be the only one parodying a cartoon theme...that'd just be awkward...

Written By: WeirdAbbott on 09/09/15 at 9:17 am

We should of split this into 2 rounds (Live Action TV) and (Cartoon TV) theme songs... Drat! Too late to do anything about it now.

I mean we totally can replace something else with the Cartoon TV Theme Song category (*coughcough*Someone from the country or rap categories*coughcough*)

Written By: WeirdAbbott on 09/09/15 at 10:14 am

Removing Rascal Flatts for the Cartoon Theme Song Round...
All in favor, Say "I"!

I!

Subject: Re: Artistry 2 Round 58 (Cartoon Theme Songs) Enter by 9/22/15

Written By: ThaConqueror on 09/09/15 at 4:47 pm

Okay, the change has been made, cartoon themes it is.

Written By: WeirdAbbott on 09/09/15 at 7:02 pm

Aw man, I was really looking forward to writing my Big Bang Theory parody.
Looks like I've got some searching to do.

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/10/15 at 6:03 pm

Um, ok. Even though I didn't have a say in it, Im ok with this change. This does help narrow the field.And it also makes sense to do songs written for the shows ONLY.

Written By: Matthias on 09/15/15 at 12:52 pm

"George cannot Juggle" is up next... (I did the Weird Al Yankovic version of the song because I can!)

http://oojamaflip.yolasite.com/resources/JUGGLING-GIF.gif

Written By: Matthias on 09/16/15 at 6:59 am

http://amiright.com/parody/80s/weirdalyankovic112.shtml

Written By: K1chyd on 09/18/15 at 8:17 am

Are you guys OK with a parody set to "The Addams Family"?

If so I'm in with this old one of mine:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/themesong18.shtml

Written By: ThaConqueror on 09/18/15 at 8:25 am

Are you guys OK with a parody set to "The Addams Family"?

If so I'm in with this old one of mine:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/themesong18.shtml

Well, there was an Addams Family cartoon, but I just checked and your parody's a verse short, nevermind the fact that it originated as a live-action theme. I'd be inclined to say "no, but I checked your author page and you've got a bunch of parodies of the Flinstones theme that'd work". Anyone else got any thoughts on the matter?

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/18/15 at 9:46 am

Well, there was an Addams Family cartoon, but I just checked and your parody's a verse short, nevermind the fact that it originated as a live-action theme. I'd be inclined to say "no, but I checked your author page and you've got a bunch of parodies of the Flinstones theme that'd work". Anyone else got any thoughts on the matter?

Here is the 90s edition of the cartoon. I can't vouch for lyrics because I can't play this at work. I do not think the 70s cartoon had lyrics, but I can't find a YouTube for that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEvtjAkgZUo

In the end, my opinion is Peter should use the cartoon lyrics (if any), or not at all.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 09/18/15 at 6:44 pm

Here is the 90s edition of the cartoon. I can't vouch for lyrics because I can't play this at work. I do not think the 70s cartoon had lyrics, but I can't find a YouTube for that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEvtjAkgZUo

In the end, my opinion is Peter should use the cartoon lyrics (if any), or not at all.

The 90's version is the version that I checked that was a verse longer than Peter's parody. I also just checked the 70's cartoon version which indeed had no lyrics.

Written By: Max Power on 09/20/15 at 12:19 pm

http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/paulfranciswebsterandrobertharris1.shtml

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/21/15 at 8:49 am

Dave And The Maggot theme
http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/various2.shtml  :D

DKTOS, wriggle on over to
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qPthuu6-wc

Written By: Max Power on 09/21/15 at 10:04 pm

To tell you the truth, I thought about doing the 1960s Hulk theme as it was so bad that it's good but I got nothing so...

Written By: WeirdAbbott on 09/22/15 at 12:40 pm

I might have my parody of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles theme up by tomorrow...but most likely, it will be up on Thursday. Sorry about the (potential) future delay. I will still make sure to vote tonight, for sure!

Written By: Blaydeman on 09/22/15 at 1:24 pm

My "Darkwing Duck Theme" parody will be up tomorrow.

Check for new replies or respond here...