inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Our New Old House

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/18/13 at 3:18 pm

The video pretty much says it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC01ocxtQcM

Cat

Subject: Re: Our New Old House

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/18/13 at 5:20 pm

It looks nice  :)

Written By: warped on 05/18/13 at 5:32 pm

Wow, that is a nice and huge house, Cat. A house that size in Vancouver would go for 1 mil to 1.5 mil. Seriously. Maybe more.

Did I hear right the house is about 150 years old. Wow.

And 4 fireplaces!

...And I love the comment about the "dead bodies" in the basement. Did the two old ladies from "Arsenic and old lace" own that house at some point?  ;D

Lots of reno's to do.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/18/13 at 5:47 pm

Yes, the house is 148 years-built in 1865.

A couple of things I forgot to mention about in the video:

-We are going to do the "master bath" floor in slate.
-I didn't mention that one fireplace in the "second living room" is marble.
-I also didn't really mention that we have to redo the heating, plumbing, AND the electricity.

Right after I finished with the video, Carlos & I were walking around the house. As we were standing in the "back living room," we realize that there could possibly be a fireplace behind a wall there. It would make sense since there is a fireplace in the room upstairs. Then I thought that there could also be one in the "office"-which is above the HUGH living room. It would all make sense that those rooms would also have them because they were part of the original house and they didn't have other heating in 1865. So, we are going to open those walls up and see. If there aren't fireplaces behind those walls, oh well. But if there are...Can you imagine SIX fireplaces!!!  :o :o :o

Cat

Written By: gibbo on 05/18/13 at 11:55 pm

Wow ... what a great place! I'm green with envy right now!  It has a ton of character (just like you two)... ;)

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/19/13 at 10:27 am

Wow, that is a nice and huge house, Cat. A house that size in Vancouver would go for 1 mil to 1.5 mil. Seriously. Maybe more.

Did I hear right the house is about 150 years old. Wow.

And 4 fireplaces!

...And I love the comment about the "dead bodies" in the basement. Did the two old ladies from "Arsenic and old lace" own that house at some point?  ;D

Lots of reno's to do.

Rather than renovation, I'm thinking more restoration

Written By: Katluver on 05/19/13 at 1:20 pm

Thanks for sharing, Cat! I absolutely love old homes! You are so lucky to score that home.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/19/13 at 1:38 pm

Thanks for sharing, Cat! I absolutely love old homes! You are so lucky to score that home.

We are in disbelief ourselves. Like I have said on the video, we weren't looking for a new home. We were in the right place at the right time. And we are both VERY excited about it.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 05/20/13 at 5:56 pm

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

OMG!!!!
YOU HAVE TWO SETS OF STAIRS......
JUST LIKE ALL THOSE FAMILIES
ON TV SITCOMS!!!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/20/13 at 6:03 pm

OMG!!!!
ON TV SITCOMS!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Henk on 05/21/13 at 5:40 am

Lucky you! I can totally see why you fell in love with it.

Good luck on the renovation/restoration! It's probably gonna be more than you bargained for...

(I agree: the red kitchen has got to go, as well as the linoleum! But unlike you, I do like wallpaper)

Written By: Katluver on 05/21/13 at 10:33 am

OMG!!!!
ON TV SITCOMS!!!!!

That's what I was thinking!

Written By: Katluver on 05/21/13 at 10:37 am

Lucky you! I can totally see why you fell in love with it.

Good luck on the renovation/restoration! It's probably gonna be more than you bargained for...

(I agree: the red kitchen has got to go, as well as the linoleum! But unlike you, I do like wallpaper)

Yes, I would remove those red counters along with the wallpaper. As for linoleum, I'm not a fan of it myself, but don't mind it in the bathroom since it's easy to clean.

Written By: warped on 05/21/13 at 10:43 am

Yes, I would remove those red counters along with the wallpaper. As for linoleum, I'm not a fan of it myself, but don't mind it in the bathroom since it's easy to clean.

My thoughts exactly. Sack the red counters, get rid of that wallpaper, and keep the linoleum as it is easy to clean. But it's not our house. If Cat/Carlos don't fancy linoleum, I can understand it being replaced.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/21/13 at 11:21 am

The linoleum is not part of the period. Still don't know what to do for the flooring. Our contractor suggested marble tiles since that is period. We may do that. We know wallpaper is period but we just don't like.

We are thinking of going with granite countertops in the kitchen-because we have a marble fireplace (probably quarried a couple of towns away), we are going to go with a slate floor in the master bath (it will probably be quarried down the street-LITERALLY), the marbleized slate was probably quarried & made in town. If we go with granite, it will probably be quarried in Vermont also. When I first mentioned granite, we are thinking "CHA-CHING!!!" But our contractor said it is not as expensive as it used to be and it is quite affordable now.

We think we have figured out the washer & dryer problem. Our contractor is trying to come up with something in the kitchen/downstairs bathroom area but last night, we were talking and come up with an alternative. Putting the washer & dryer in the "closet" (the room with the carpet). We have plumbing right there from the bathroom, and it will be easier for me since I won't have to lug clothing up & down the stairs. The casualty in that is our gas dryer. We would have to go with electric. 

Cat

Written By: Katluver on 05/21/13 at 11:22 am

But it's not our house. If Cat/Carlos don't fancy linoleum, I can understand it being replaced.

Of course...jmo.

Written By: snozberries on 05/21/13 at 11:42 am

Marble might be good or, I know it's not exactly the period but replicates it, laminate wood flooring...in the kitchen. There's real nice laminate wood flooring now and it's easier to clean and no worries about water on the floor.

I live the idea of converting the closet upstairs.

My dream house (not a fancy mansion but any house I live in) will have a w/d hookup in, near, or around the master bath. Most people want tubs...I want a washer/dryer  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/21/13 at 11:55 am

Marble might be good or, I know it's not exactly the period but replicates it, laminate wood flooring...in the kitchen. There's real nice laminate wood flooring now and it's easier to clean and no worries about water on the floor.

My dream house (not a fancy mansion but any house I live in) will have a w/d hookup in, near, or around the master bath. Most people want tubs...I want a washer/dryer  ;D

I know linoleum has come a long way. My step-daughter just put some in her kitchen and it does look like tile. But, we will probably go with hard wood flooring for the kitchen-something like we have in our kitchen now.

Cat

Written By: Katluver on 05/21/13 at 12:01 pm

Hmm, wood flooring in the kitchen seems to be a trend these days. It's great that they laminate wood flooring now so we don't have to worry about scratches and spills, but it just doesn't appeal to me to have it in the kitchen despite liking it in most parts in a house (living, dining, stairs, halls, bedrooms). I think my ideal kitchen floor would be linoleum (again!  :o) in a 1940s style.

Written By: warped on 05/21/13 at 12:08 pm

Of course...jmo.

I know...me too.. :)

Hey Cat, is there lots of electrical wiring in the house? Better get that checked coz lots of it may be really old (just like the plumbing, I suppose)
Have you guys had a chance to look at the roof yet?  (check for leaks, broken tiles, etc..)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/21/13 at 12:46 pm

I know...me too.. :)

Hey Cat, is there lots of electrical wiring in the house? Better get that checked coz lots of it may be really old (just like the plumbing, I suppose)
Have you guys had a chance to look at the roof yet?  (check for leaks, broken tiles, etc..)

The contractor is going to get in touch with an electrician he knows. We won't turned on the electricity until the electrician goes through the entire house. There is a box in the basement which I think has circuit breakers-I believe a bit old-fashion. But, the electrician will take care of it.

As for the roof, the contractor did a partial inspection and he noticed that some of the roof needs to be address-but what he could see, not much. But, once the roofers get up there-who knows, they may find more. Part of the roof is slate and some is metal. The metal part is ok-fairly new. And the one chimney needs to be rebuilt. The other chimneys probably are not usable. I mentioned how the marble fireplace is a coal fireplace so you can't burn wood in it-so Carlos won't have his wood stove in the bedroom. And it appears that the back chimney isn't also working.

Oh, the contractor said that flooring in the living room may have to be replaced. It seems that it was sanded with a belt sander and they really did a terrible job. The nails are almost exposed. We are going to get our floor guy in there to see what he recommends. It is a shame if it needs to be replace. But, most of the floors in the house were replaced. The other two "living rooms" had their floors replaced as well as the upstairs.

I told Carlos that I want to do a video about once a month to show the progress but he said that the first month or so, you can "SEE" the improvements-the electrical, the plumbing, the heating, the insulation, etc.

Cat 

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/21/13 at 6:28 pm

The linoleum is not part of the period. Still don't know what to do for the flooring. Our contractor suggested marble tiles since that is period. We may do that. We know wallpaper is period but we just don't like.

We are thinking of going with granite countertops in the kitchen-because we have a marble fireplace (probably quarried a couple of towns away), we are going to go with a slate floor in the master bath (it will probably be quarried down the street-LITERALLY), the marbleized slate was probably quarried & made in town. If we go with granite, it will probably be quarried in Vermont also. When I first mentioned granite, we are thinking "CHA-CHING!!!" But our contractor said it is not as expensive as it used to be and it is quite affordable now.

We think we have figured out the washer & dryer problem. Our contractor is trying to come up with something in the kitchen/downstairs bathroom area but last night, we were talking and come up with an alternative. Putting the washer & dryer in the "closet" (the room with the carpet). We have plumbing right there from the bathroom, and it will be easier for me since I won't have to lug clothing up & down the stairs. The casualty in that is our gas dryer. We would have to go with electric. 

Cat

I love granite countertops  :)

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 05/27/13 at 10:32 pm

I love old Victorian era houses! I hope to own one myself someday. Thanks for the tour!

Written By: hot_wax on 06/08/13 at 2:40 am

The video pretty much says it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC01ocxtQcM

Cat

Hi Cat, Wow! congratulations on your new/old house. It's a diamond in the rough right now, but with your vision, a little time and a lot of money you will turn it into a beautiful piece of jewlery. It is a pretty victorian house, the curb appeal is stunning with all of the moldings and woodwork on the front porch and trimmings, after you complete the interior, landscape the front yard and paint the exterior like the the three sisters in San Francisco, that's what it reminds me of at first sight. You have a big job ahead of you, hang in there with all those contractors dragging their ass to complete the work they start. Show us the finished work of art when it's done.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/08/13 at 8:56 am

What a great house to redo.  What were they thinking with that red in the kitchen :o, but what fun planning getting it back to its former grandeur.  :) 

P.S.  I expect one day I will be the crazy old lady hold up in your widows walk.  My idea of heaven. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/08/13 at 10:48 am

Hi Cat, Wow! congratulations on your new/old house. It's a diamond in the rough right now, but with your vision, a little time and a lot of money you will turn it into a beautiful piece of jewlery. It is a pretty victorian house, the curb appeal is stunning with all of the moldings and woodwork on the front porch and trimmings, after you complete the interior, landscape the front yard and paint the exterior like the the three sisters in San Francisco, that's what it reminds me of at first sight. You have a big job ahead of you, hang in there with all those contractors dragging their ass to complete the work they start. Show us the finished work of art when it's done.

I plan that these videos are going to be a series-that is just the BEFORE video.

We were hoping that the work would have begun by now but our loan hasn't come through yet-but hopefully it will next week.

What a great house to redo.  What were they thinking with that red in the kitchen :o, but what fun planning getting it back to its former grandeur.  :) 

P.S.  I expect one day I will be the crazy old lady hold up in your widows walk.  My idea of heaven. 

Sure come on up.  ;D ;D ;D

I am wondering what we can do for the widow's walk. It really needs to be insulated and I'm wondering if we can get electricity up there for a light. I think we are going to have to add sheet rock so we can get the insulation behind it-because you can see that the walls look pretty thin.

If we can get it so it comfortable (warm in the winter & cool in the summer), it is going to be my Wicca room.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/12/13 at 2:23 pm

We FINALLY got a closing date for the loan: June 24th. We are disappointed because we thought it would have been quicker than that. The mortgage on THIS house (that we are using for collateral) is with the credit union. Our monthly income goes into our accounts at the credit union. Can't tell you how many times we walk in and all the workers at that branch know us by name. And Son-in-law works at the main office in Montpelier. We thought it would be very quick. So much for that idea. So, we have to wait until the end of the month before the work even BEGINS!!!  >:( >:( >:( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 06/12/13 at 2:31 pm

We FINALLY got a closing date for the loan: June 24th. We are disappointed because we thought it would have been quicker than that. The mortgage on THIS house (that we are using for collateral) is with the credit union. Our monthly income goes into our accounts at the credit union. Can't tell you how many times we walk in and all the workers at that branch know us by name. And Son-in-law works at the main office in Montpelier. We thought it would be very quick. So much for that idea. So, we have to wait until the end of the month before the work even BEGINS!!!  >:( >:( >:( :\'( :\'(

Cat

honestly it seems like it did happen rather quickly

Written By: warped on 06/12/13 at 2:39 pm

Cat

It's quite frustrating when you are planning a move to a house you want to live in, as soon as possible, esp since all the reno/repair work has to be done first. I know you must feel like you are stuck at a traffic light, waiting for the light to turn green so you can go ahead and start things.

Telling you June 24th is really not that far away is probably no consolation right now...
but...
it's not that far away... 
but I know it must be so frustrating, as a big part of your life is on hold. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/12/13 at 3:21 pm

It's quite frustrating when you are planning a move to a house you want to live in, as soon as possible, esp since all the reno/repair work has to be done first. I know you must feel like you are stuck at a traffic light, waiting for the light to turn green so you can go ahead and start things.

Telling you June 24th is really not that far away is probably no consolation right now...
but...
it's not that far away... 
but I know it must be so frustrating, as a big part of your life is on hold.

Yeah, I know. I'm just a little impatient.  :-\\

honestly it seems like it did happen rather quickly

We started the process for the loan BEFORE we closed on the house. We kept asking how long and we were told, "Only a couple of days." Each time we went to see her and asked her the same question-we got the same answer. That is the main reason for our frustration. If we were told "A couple of weeks" that would have been a different situation. To be fair, it wasn't the woman we talked to who did all of this. She just sent all our stuff to Montpelier and the people in Montpelier are the ones who finalize everything.

Cat

Written By: warped on 06/12/13 at 4:32 pm

Yeah, I know. I'm just a little impatient.  :-\\

It's all about expectations, isn't it. From what you thought, you expected the day to be much sooner.  That's why the frustration is there. If they would have told you weeks ago that it would be only till June 24th, it would have been better. 

Written By: Tashlovglit on 06/12/13 at 9:45 pm

Cat

I'm sorry  :(  I would want to start right away too.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/13/13 at 10:28 am

With the delay, it allows us to change our plans several times.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/14/13 at 2:21 pm

Talked to the contractor today. He told us that the work may not start until late July.  :-\\  He is planning to get over there next week with the electrician to take a look at things-to make sure that we can turn on the electricity without burning the house down.

Cat

Written By: warped on 06/14/13 at 2:34 pm

Talked to the contractor today. He told us that the work may not start until late July.  :-\\  He is planning to get over there next week with the electrician to take a look at things-to make sure that we can turn on the electricity without burning the house down.

Cat

July?  :(

He is planning to get over there next week with the electrician to take a look at things-to make sure that we can turn on the electricity without burning the house down

:o  If the house burned down,that might not be a good thing..that might delay you moving in

(I'mjust being silly)

Yah,I mean...hope nothing serious happens if they do that..  :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/14/13 at 2:44 pm

July?  :(
:o  If the house burned down,that might not be a good thing..that might delay you moving in

(I'mjust being silly)

Yah,I mean...hope nothing serious happens if they do that..  :-\\

I know you are just being silly.  :D ;D ;D ;D

But, it is frustrating that it is taking so long.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/14/13 at 7:36 pm

We are now looking into geothermal heating. I think that would be GREAT!! I so want to do away with oil heating. Carlos also said something about maybe putting solar panels on the addition (over the dinning room/kitchen). I really want to make this a green house-and I'm not talking painting it green.

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/15/13 at 4:34 am

Oh it's lovely Cat!  I adore it.  (Sorry I missed the first announcement.)

Congratulations.

(It was nice hearing your voice (as you narraed) again.)  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/15/13 at 10:14 am

Oh it's lovely Cat!  I adore it.  (Sorry I missed the first announcement.)

Congratulations.

(It was nice hearing your voice (as you narraed) again.)  :)

Thanks.

With all my grammar errors. The fact that I can't find the right word that I want, etc. It is a learning disability. :-[ 

Cat

Written By: Katluver on 06/15/13 at 12:45 pm

I really want to make this a green house-and I'm not talking painting it green.

Cat

Really? I thought you liked the color green.  jk

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/23/13 at 10:20 am

Next Chapter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxTmU67cyg0

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 06/23/13 at 11:48 am

Yay for the fireplace!

Written By: warped on 06/23/13 at 3:21 pm

I think if Carlos would have hacked through the walls another 3 minutes, we'd finally find out where Jimmy Hoffa was.  :D

Nice find.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/23/13 at 3:43 pm

I think if Carlos would have hacked through the walls another 3 minutes, we'd finally find out where Jimmy Hoffa was.  :D

Nice find.

That must be the dead body.  :D ;D ;D ;D

We figured there was one there since there is one upstairs-and there are two on the other side (one up & one down). That whole wall is going to come down but we just couldn't wait.  :D :D :D

Cat

Written By: Tashlovglit on 06/23/13 at 7:18 pm

Nice find.

;D

Written By: Katluver on 06/23/13 at 9:03 pm

Next Chapter:

Cat

Eureka! Another fireplace! Thanks for showing us the update.

Written By: Inertia on 06/24/13 at 8:23 am

Next Chapter:

Cat

Your voice sounds much different from what I imagine when reading your posts. ^^

What a cool discovery behind your walls though!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/24/13 at 9:05 am

Your voice sounds much different from what I imagine when reading your posts. ^^

What a cool discovery behind your walls though!

I hate my voice. I actually prefer to write because I can think about what word I want to use. When I speak, I have a hard time finding the word I want right away.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: Inertia on 06/24/13 at 11:48 am

I hate my voice. I actually prefer to write because I can think about what word I want to use. When I speak, I have a hard time finding the word I want right away.  :-\\

Cat

I see nothing wrong with your voice. It is different from what I pictured though. For some reason, I always heard a voice similar to a professor I had in college narrating your posts. XD

Written By: danootaandme on 06/24/13 at 12:53 pm

One of the things I learned in construction was to always wear gloves.  Get some gloves...you can thank me later. :)

.....and eye protection, very important.

This is sooooo great, bye the way.  :)

Written By: warped on 06/24/13 at 1:17 pm

Cat

I think many people hate their voices (I do) but you have a nice voice, it's clear and it sounds like my friend's Jean's voice and I like and respect her. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/24/13 at 2:25 pm

One of the things I learned in construction was to always wear gloves.  Get some gloves...you can thank me later. :)

We are not going to do the work. We just couldn't wait to see what was behind the wall.

I see nothing wrong with your voice. It is different from what I pictured though. For some reason, I always heard a voice similar to a professor I had in college narrating your posts. XD

I think many people hate their voices (I do) but you have a nice voice, it's clear and it sounds like my friend's Jean's voice and I like and respect her. 

Thanks, both of you. 

Oh BTW, WE GOT OUR LOAN!!!! So now we have to wait for our contractor to clear his calendar for the work to start.

Wednesday, we meet with a tree guy to pull down a few trees in back and trim some others. The insurance co. is threatening to cut us off because the trees are hitting the house.

Cat

Written By: Katluver on 06/24/13 at 3:39 pm

We are not going to do the work. We just couldn't wait to see what was behind the wall.

Cat

I've got that same mentality---lol!

Congrats on your loan, btw.

As for the trees, perhaps you could trim the branches?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/24/13 at 4:02 pm

I've got that same mentality---lol!

Congrats on your loan, btw.

As for the trees, perhaps you could trim the branches?

Some of the branches will be trimmed but two trees are coming down. One of them is VERY rotted. There are mega mushrooms growing on it and it is at the end where the driveway curves-basically just beggin' to be hit. The other one is in the middle of the back-pretty much in the middle of the driveway. Another one that is just beggin' to be hit.

Also, taking down those two trees should give us better reception for our satellite dish and if we decide to do some solar panels.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/24/13 at 7:10 pm

Carlos is talking about going over there and finish bringing the wall down.

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/27/13 at 10:19 am

You are absolutely right, and I have gloves and goggles, uduu (head slap)

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/27/13 at 9:32 pm

You are absolutely right, and I have gloves and goggles, uduu (head slap)

"When the only tools you have are a sledgehammer and a sawzall, every problem looks like hours of fun."

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/28/13 at 11:00 am

As I pointed out in the vid, the fire place is elevated by about 2 feet, and the hearth is angles out.  Anyone have any thoughts as to why it was built that way?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/09/13 at 12:45 pm

Trees are starting to come down today. Took some before shots-a few during shots. Will take some more during shots over the next few days. I couldn't see on having a video of them cutting them down. I did run the video for a short period of time. But, I will put it all together when it is over.

We meet with the contractor on Thursday and hopefully, the work will get started.

Oh, and the electricity has been turned on. There does need to be some electrical work but for the most part, it was safe to turn it on. (An electrician did look at it prior to turning it on.)

Cat

Written By: warped on 07/09/13 at 6:47 pm

As I pointed out in the vid, the fire place is elevated by about 2 feet, and the hearth is angles out.  Anyone have any thoughts as to why it was built that way?

Not really. Unless (at some point in the last 100 years) the room was rebuilt and whoever put in the floor misjudged the height of it and the angle of the fireplace coming up?  Maybe that's why it was plastered over?  Not sure..

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/17/13 at 10:43 am

Update:

We are going with the geothermal heating. It is CHA-CHING up front. The house needs a new furnace, new piping for the heating system anyway so we figured we might as well put in geothermal. The only thing that is an add-on is digging the hole in the back yard. To us, it is a no-brainer. Last year, we paid over $4000 in heating oil. It will be nice not using dead dinosaurs to heat our house. It should pay for itself fairly quickly. And besides, the Feds will give us up to 30% in tax incentives and the State of Vermont will give us $2000 towards it.   

We have been meeting with a kitchen designer. No real plans for the kitchen as of yet but we did pick out the wood (oak) and the color (Autumn Blush) and last night we decided to keep the kitchen door. So, it looks like all those doors we were going to take out are now staying. The other two doors MAY be taken out at a later date but right now they are not on the priority list. With the geothermal, our budget has been revised.

The work really hasn't started other than the trees-which isn't quite finished yet. I haven't put that together yet to create video #3 but I still have a few shots to take when the work is done-should be tomorrow.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/24/13 at 2:39 pm

Chapter 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5Qfy-xDgio

Cat

Written By: Katluver on 07/25/13 at 3:26 pm

Chapter 3

Cat

Thanks for the update. Can't wait to see more!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/25/13 at 4:06 pm

Thanks for the update. Can't wait to see more!

I was wondering if ANYONE watched the video. I think you are the first.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: warped on 07/25/13 at 8:17 pm

I was wondering if ANYONE watched the video. I think you are the first.  :-\\

Cat

Saw it :)

That guy climbing...looks so dangerous.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/20/13 at 10:03 am

Some recent updates, same place

Written By: karen on 11/20/13 at 11:36 am

Only jut got round to watching that video  :-[

Is it possible it was more of a bread oven than a fireplace?

Written By: karen on 11/20/13 at 11:42 am

Is it possible to have the chimneys lined so that you can use wood burners with them?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/20/13 at 9:30 pm

Chapter 3

Cat
beautiful home and I love trees, sorry they had to go :(  that one tree they cut down was huge. it must have cost you a limb or 2  ::)

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/21/13 at 10:25 am

Only jut got round to watching that video  :-[

Is it possible it was more of a bread oven than a fireplace?

Not sure, but we think that room was once the kitchen.  We had the the chimney in the living room lined, but not the other two.

There are more videos on U tube.  Look for Our New Old House by CatwomanofV

The trees needed to be trimmed back.  We took down 2, the big one in the back and one over the drive way, and yes, it was pricey

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/01/13 at 11:34 am

In case anyone is interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPaATLRTIlc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oru-RZEku98

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nvU3KZvnC4

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 12/01/13 at 2:57 pm

When is it going to be ready for you to move in?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/01/13 at 4:27 pm

When is it going to be ready for you to move in?

Good question. I want to say March but I could be wrong.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 12/01/13 at 4:49 pm

Good question. I want to say March but I could be wrong.

Cat

Not too long then.  Whenever it is, may the weather be good for the move.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/01/13 at 5:41 pm

Not too long then.  Whenever it is, may the weather be good for the move.

Not too long is a relative term. For us it is too long considering with the fact we have to deal with the church that is next door to us as a feud has begun. But that is another issue.

We actually have started to move some things-putting them in the garage. The house is only a block from where I am sitting right now. But we are going to hire a moving company because we really don't want to have to move the heavy stuff ourselves.

I am having visions of Christmas next with all the kids there. Our antique oak table in the dinning room with all the leaves in. Actually having matching dishes (that we bought for $5 at an auction) and matching utensils (that were my mother's). Stockings hanging on the fireplace with a fire going-burning pine logs from our beautiful tree that was senselessly cut down. I even imagine the sleeping arrangements for everyone.

I just hope "The Lady" doesn't mind. We still haven't met with the people who used to live there. I'm dying to know about her. We also have to go to the town office to do more research and hopefully, I can find out who "The Lady" is. 

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 12/01/13 at 7:01 pm

The Lady?  Is the house haunted?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/02/13 at 10:45 am

The Lady?  Is the house haunted?

So it appears. I mentioned it in the last video. The people who used to live in the house asked us if we saw "The Lady." Haven't yet but then again, we haven't really stayed in the house for very long. Maybe an hour at a time or so. My question about her is if she is a residual or intelligent haunting. It sort of cross my mind when we bought the house but it wasn't in the forefront. I also never really felt her presence (at least not yet) but I have felt a lot of good/bad vibes in the house. The bad vibes are recent-as in the people who lived there in the last 10 years or so (you can see what they did to the Widow's Walk in the first video). The good vibes are from earlier. I do feel love underlying the negative vibes. So, if "The Lady" is still residing in the house, it is because she loves the house so much she doesn't want to leave. And I think she won't mind us co-inhabiting with her.

Cat 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/02/13 at 12:07 pm

Not too long is a relative term. For us it is too long considering with the fact we have to deal with the church that is next door to us as a feud has begun. But that is another issue.

We actually have started to move some things-putting them in the garage. The house is only a block from where I am sitting right now. But we are going to hire a moving company because we really don't want to have to move the heavy stuff ourselves.

I am having visions of Christmas next with all the kids there. Our antique oak table in the dinning room with all the leaves in. Actually having matching dishes (that we bought for $5 at an auction) and matching utensils (that were my mother's). Stockings hanging on the fireplace with a fire going-burning pine logs from our beautiful tree that was senselessly cut down. I even imagine the sleeping arrangements for everyone.

I just hope "The Lady" doesn't mind. We still haven't met with the people who used to live there. I'm dying to know about her. We also have to go to the town office to do more research and hopefully, I can find out who "The Lady" is. 

Cat
  ^ I wouldn't use that term too casually where The Lady is concerned. Your house is beginning to come together, sounds like Christmas at Don Carlos & Cat's place will be great for the family. I'm a little sad about the trees as I love being surrounded by trees but if there's a potential hazard then they gotta go. good luck with it all

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/02/13 at 12:17 pm

^ I wouldn't use that term too casually where The Lady is concerned. Your house is beginning to come together, sounds like Christmas at Don Carlos & Cat's place will be great for the family. I'm a little sad about the trees as I love being surrounded by trees but if there's a potential hazard then they gotta go. good luck with it all

We plan on planting some trees-just in better locations so they won't create a problem. I want to plant a cherry tree in honor of my father & grandmother, a sugar maple in honor of my mother and a pine tree to remember our "Little Tree" that the church next door to us now cut down last week for no reason. (I'm not bitter am I?) I don't know if we are going to have room for all of those so I don't know.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 12/02/13 at 7:28 pm

So it appears. I mentioned it in the last video. The people who used to live in the house asked us if we saw "The Lady." Haven't yet but then again, we haven't really stayed in the house for very long. Maybe an hour at a time or so. My question about her is if she is a residual or intelligent haunting. It sort of cross my mind when we bought the house but it wasn't in the forefront. I also never really felt her presence (at least not yet) but I have felt a lot of good/bad vibes in the house. The bad vibes are recent-as in the people who lived there in the last 10 years or so (you can see what they did to the Widow's Walk in the first video). The good vibes are from earlier. I do feel love underlying the negative vibes. So, if "The Lady" is still residing in the house, it is because she loves the house so much she doesn't want to leave. And I think she won't mind us co-inhabiting with her.

Cat 

That's cool.  I would guess if she sees you love the house like she does there shouldn't be a problem.  Would be interesting to see if it is an intelligent haunt or not.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/05/14 at 3:48 pm

WE HAVE HEAT!! WE HAVE HEAT!!!! We went over there today. The heat was set at 50 but it was 60 downstairs & 75 upstairs. We turned the heat down.

Cat

Written By: Katluver on 01/07/14 at 2:28 am

WE HAVE HEAT!! WE HAVE HEAT!!!! We went over there today. The heat was set at 50 but it was 60 downstairs & 75 upstairs. We turned the heat down.

Cat

Yay!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/08/14 at 3:35 pm

I know this board isn't exactly the appropriate place for this thread, but oh well. I put it here because I figured I would be posting a lot of pics of the project.

Anyway, we met with a kitchen expert yesterday (not our first meeting with her). The design of the kitchen has changed over the course of the last 6 months. But we finally got that down. We already picked out the cabinets months ago. When we walked in yesterday, the counters were going to be butcher block. When we walked out, there will only be one counter that will be butcher block but the others will be quartz. Now we have to pick out our sink & faucet. I THINK I got the sink picked out. The problem is getting something that we like that won't break the bank. If this was our only expense, it wouldn't be so much of a problem. But, we still have flooring, bathroom fixtures, blown-in insulation, painting, and maybe a few other things.

Carlos & I are going to strip the woodwork ourselves to save $$$$. I'm a little nervous because it is lead paint that we will be removing. But, we invested in a inferred paint stripper that is supposed to remove lead paint safely because it doesn't create dust. It is the dust that is dangerous. We got our protective gear so we should be fine. We can start that project any time now since we now have heat.

Funny story. The guy who was going to do the blown-in was walking around the house with our contractor. This was during the polar vortex so the temp was beyond cold. Our contractor told him that he could just do the work inside rather than doing it outside. The guy hugged our contractor.  :D ;D ;D ;D  Yeah, we have a GREAT contractor. 

We are starting to see things come together. It is really exciting.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/11/14 at 3:08 pm

Next Chapter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgqYPJ1krVs

Cat

Written By: warped on 01/11/14 at 3:23 pm

Next Chapter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgqYPJ1krVs

Cat

The house of holes.  You live in a holey house...lol

Air con & Heating all over the house! Good for you.

``Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall``  8)

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/12/14 at 10:25 am

The house of holes.  You live in a holey house...lol

Air con & Heating all over the house! Good for you.

``Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall``  8)

Like Cat said, the system was pricey, but we needed a total new system in any case and figure we will save big $$$ down the road

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/20/14 at 10:47 am

We met with the couple we know who lived in the house. The first thing they asked us if we noticed anything...unusual. We really haven't spent too much time in the house to see anything.

We were told that there could be 3 entities, a boy, a servant girl and the "Old Lady." The "Old Lady," they told us is an intelligent haunting as she used to tuck their kids in at night. They also told us that every night at 7, the bathroom light would turn on. We shall see if that continues since we redid the electrical work. Also, objects would move, like a rocking chair that used to be in the living room. They said that sometimes they would look for something and couldn't find it. The next morning it would be on the table waiting for them. They told us that neither one of them actually saw her but of course their kids did as well as his mother-who let out a blood curdling scream when she did.

They were a bit disappointed by the fact that the molding in the living room is gone. There was molding that matched the other rooms downstairs. Also, there was mantle that was in the back room but the wall was up. We know the person who has that mantle and we are going to buy it from him and return it to the house where it belongs. They also told us that there was a really nice light fixture in hall upstairs but it was too small for the space. They did tell us that was his mother who put in the red counters in the kitchen (along with pink cabinets) and also picked out the flower wallpaper in our bedroom and it was our guest who put it up. At first I misunderstood her when she said that it was her wallpaper. Then I realized that she meant that she just put it up and it was her MIL who picked it out.

The big complaint they had about living in the house was heating it. They knew the house needed so much and they just couldn't afford it which is why they let it go. But, they can see that we have replaced the windows, blown-in insulation and pretty much insulated almost all of the attic and of course putting in the new heating system. Their other complaint was living with relatives but that has nothing to do with the house itself.  ;) They are very happy that we are really doing what needs to be done to the house. We went into this venture with our eyes open knowing that it needed so much. They said that most people would buy a house like this thinking that it would be pretty much good to go.

When they heard that someone bought the house (before they knew it was us), they were afraid that it was going to be chopped up into apartments. The house next door was a part of the property and his aunts had a chance to buy that house for a low price but opted out. Then someone bought it and chopped it up into apartments. (Carlos lived in one for a little while when he was divorcing his first wife.)

They are going to look for old photos of the house and see what kind of info they can found out. He is going to pick his mother's brain to see what she can remember. He is also going to see what his brother knows, too. It was a VERY enjoyable evening.

Cat     

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/09/14 at 12:17 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctiix7bPqe8

Cat

Written By: warped on 02/10/14 at 9:58 am

It is coming along. Slowly but surely (and don't call me Shirley)

Nice touch with the Beatles song at the end.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/10/14 at 10:00 am

So this mystery is now solved.  Someone tried to brick up that fireplace, just slapped bricks into the fire box.  I have been removing them to expose the original, complete with built in pot hangers

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/10/14 at 10:37 am

It is coming along. Slowly but surely (and don't call me Shirley)

Nice touch with the Beatles song at the end.

Well, since the chapter before was the House of Holes, what do you do with holes? You fix them. So... ;)

When I told our contractor the name of the this chapter BEFORE I finished with it, he started going around the house singing it. lol

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/07/14 at 1:41 pm

Chapter 9.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhx6Cm_0kDU

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/14/14 at 10:15 am

I guess no one is here interested in our restoration. So, I will refrain from posting any new videos here. If anyone is interested, they can go to YouTube and watch them there.

Cat

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 06/23/14 at 7:03 pm

I just watched "Our New Old House Revisited", congrats on the progress, it all looks like its coming together nicely.

The photos on the wall in the window's walk are such a cool reminder of the place's past, I'm glad you're preserving them there.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/23/14 at 7:23 pm

I just watched "Our New Old House Revisited", congrats on the progress, it all looks like its coming together nicely.

The photos on the wall in the window's walk are such a cool reminder of the place's past, I'm glad you're preserving them there.

Thanks. We have been living here for over a month now and besides the traffic on this busier street, I absolutely LOVE this house. There are still some things left to do. There is still the outside to do which won't be done until next year. And I can't wait for the downstairs bathroom to be redone. Haven't decided how I want to do it yet but there is still time to decide. I may do an update video because there have been a few people who have asked me to.

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/25/14 at 2:47 am

The kitchen is lovely.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/25/14 at 10:47 am

The kitchen is lovely.

Have to agree. I know we didn't NEED that ceiling but I REALLY, REALLY wanted it. I convinced Carlos and now I think he is glad that we put that in. It really gives the kitchen that WOW factor.

The hardware for the cabinets are still not in.  >:( >:(  We ordered them from Home Depot at the beginning of the month. I called them a few days ago and the order didn't go in.  >:( >:( >:(  We got a call from them today saying they will be shipped tomorrow. So, by next week we should get it. At first, I was going to go with the bronze that I like so much. But, with the brown of the cabinets, it wouldn't be much of a contrast. So, we went with antique brass-which will go with the ceiling.

I keep telling Carlos that I want to turn this house into a showplace and do a lot of entertaining.

Here is a pic of the dinning room before the rug went went. Check out my chandeliers. (And no, I haven't swung on them.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D )

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r92/aandcsattic/010_zpsfe51d3db.jpg

As much as I love the chandeliers, I wish they were bigger/wider. Oh well.

I want to get a mini chandelier for the upstairs bathroom but Carlos doesn't want to. We will work something out.

I have been joking that this is MY house & I allow Carlos to live here. lol.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/14 at 10:50 am

Have to agree. I know we didn't NEED that ceiling but I REALLY, REALLY wanted it. I convinced Carlos and now I think he is glad that we put that in. It really gives the kitchen that WOW factor.

The hardware for the cabinets are still not in.  >:( >:(  We ordered them from Home Depot at the beginning of the month. I called them a few days ago and the order didn't go in.  >:( >:( >:(  We got a call from them today saying they will be shipped tomorrow. So, by next week we should get it. At first, I was going to go with the bronze that I like so much. But, with the brown of the cabinets, it wouldn't be much of a contrast. So, we went with antique brass-which will go with the ceiling.

I keep telling Carlos that I want to turn this house into a showplace and do a lot of entertaining.

Here is a pic of the dinning room before the rug went went. Check out my chandeliers. (And no, I haven't swung on them.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D )

I want to get a mini chandelier for the upstairs bathroom but Carlos doesn't want to. We will work something out.

Cat
Looks wonderful!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/25/14 at 1:17 pm

Looks wonderful!

Thanks but we still have a lot stuff in boxes.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 06/25/14 at 3:51 pm

Cat

The dining room looks beautiful. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/25/14 at 4:17 pm

The dining room looks beautiful. :)

Thank you, Howard but it is not complete. We still need to put up all our dust collectors nicknacks, art work on the wall etc.

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/26/14 at 1:54 am

Haven't swung on them yet.  I know how you are.  lol  just kidding.

Cat

I think larger ones would be more striking and grand.  I wonder how the original owner placed their furniture, it just seems slightly off, with two small ones, but then again, maybe that's how it used to be done back in the day.  Design fads change.  I'd LOVE to have a chandelier.  I have chandelier envy.  ;D  When I was little, I had been given some chandelier pendants, (not real sure why or whom gave them to me.) but I had such a blast playing with them in the sun, making rainbows.  (What can I say, I was a lonely kid.  ;D)  I wonder if you could take the smaller ones pictured, and put one (or both!) into "hers" bathroom...  and that way you are "recycling".

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/26/14 at 10:58 am

Haven't swung on them yet.  I know how you are.  lol  just kidding.

I think larger ones would be more striking and grand.  I wonder how the original owner placed their furniture, it just seems slightly off, with two small ones, but then again, maybe that's how it used to be done back in the day.  Design fads change.  I'd LOVE to have a chandelier.  I have chandelier envy.  ;D  When I was little, I had been given some chandelier pendants, (not real sure why or whom gave them to me.) but I had such a blast playing with them in the sun, making rainbows.  (What can I say, I was a lonely kid.  ;D)  I wonder if you could take the smaller ones pictured, and put one (or both!) into "hers" bathroom...  and that way you are "recycling".

I bought them on-line so I didn't exactly how big they were before buying. Oh well. There are several little things that I wish that I had done differently-like my dishwasher that I really dislike.  >:(  I am stuck with it for at least 10 years. I figured all these little design issues that I am having second thoughts on may be changed out in about 20 years or so.  :D ;D ;D ;D  Carlos will NOT let me change these chandeliers now. But I really do love them-just disappointed in the size. 

When the house was originally built, the dinning room didn't exist. We believe our library was originally the kitchen & the front room (with the bay window) was the dinning room. We don't know when the addition was put on but it was early-our guess before the turn of the 20th century. 

Cat

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/30/14 at 7:18 pm

Your thread reminded me of something. Just outside my former college town off the expressway, there was this really creepy old manor. It was the only thing in this really vast field of farmland. It was creepy but in a good way. Here's a pic I took:

http://scontent-b.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xap1/outbound-distilleryimage6/t0.0-17/OBPTH/f73dfcacb15811e3ae720e3e2ff32896_8.jpg

Actually I found this video which shows the inside!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTfsJkjwAU8

I remember reading that a couple purchased it a few years ago but I think they abandoned their efforts in restoring it. I guess vandals kept breaking in and ruining things :(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/31/14 at 11:13 am

Your thread reminded me of something. Just outside my former college town off the expressway, there was this really creepy old manor. It was the only thing in this really vast field of farmland. It was creepy but in a good way. Here's a pic I took:

http://scontent-b.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xap1/outbound-distilleryimage6/t0.0-17/OBPTH/f73dfcacb15811e3ae720e3e2ff32896_8.jpg

I remember reading that a couple purchased it a few years ago but I think they abandoned their efforts in restoring it. I guess vandals kept breaking in and ruining things :(

Beautiful place. It is a shame they abandoned the restoration. It may not have been vandals. They may have just run out of $$$$$ because it takes a lot to restore a place like that. I really hope someone does. It is worth saving.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/14/14 at 3:36 pm

I thought I would give an update to the house-if anyone is interested. We have been living here for about 6 months or so and we have been busting our butts to get the place ready for Christmas. Well, Christmas is almost upon us and even though not everything is done, it is done enough for everyone to be comfortable.

Just the other day we laid the rug down in the library. We had trouble with the pad which we decided to not use and just buy a new one so the rug is down without a pad. We still need to put up the curtains (waiting on the curtain rods) and we need to buy the mantle from a neighbor of ours but that will probably have to wait until spring. But otherwise, the library is DONE!!!! I walk into the room and I am just blown away by it. It turned out to be a REALLY GREAT room. There is still a pile in the corner of vinyl records that we have no idea what to do with-but oh well. 

The front room still needs work. We need to find homes for a lot of things. There is enough room in there to put down a king-size air mattress (which someone will be sleeping on next week). We still need to put up curtains.

I do confess that we have been putting a lot of boxes in the basement (namely boxes full of VHS tapes). We will probably sell those at some point. I am just afraid if they go into the basement, they will be forgotten.

We are finally putting stuff on the walls and while there are still a few rooms where we are still tripping on boxes, there are many rooms where a box is no where to be found.

I don't have any new pics at the moment. I didn't take any pics when you couldn't see anything but boxes because I didn't want to remember the house like that.

The house is becoming more & more beautiful each day.

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/15/14 at 5:30 am

Awesome!  Glad you are making such progress

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/23/14 at 4:45 pm

Some pics (before the kids came and now I have to fix it up again. lol)

The Library:

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/CatwomanofV/078_zps8831b5b8.jpg

BTW, Carlos painted that big pic along with the smaller ones on both sides of the double doors.

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/CatwomanofV/081_zps087c6bea.jpg

The chandelier which was a Craigslist find. Paid $50 for it but we had to drive close to 2 hours to pick it up. And I had to clean it.

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/CatwomanofV/082_zps0d227673.jpg

The other side of the bookshelves.

That room was such a nightmare. A few months ago, you couldn't even get into it. I purposely didn't take "before" shots because I didn't want to remember it like the way it was. I hated to go into it because it was just so overwhelming. Now I just love it. It is a very comfortable room. With all those book shelves we STILL gave away 10 boxes of books!!  :o :o :o :o  Yeah, we had a lot-still do.

The Memorial Room:

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/CatwomanofV/083_zpsdcca0fd8.jpg

Not the best pic I have taken but you can see how it turned out. Carlos' grandmother's portrait is hanging over the fireplace. His mother is on the left hand side and my mother's pic when she was a young girl is on the right. It is my step-father's brass table, his bowl and my grandmother's rug. All the stuff in the curio cabinet are family heirlooms. There are pics of grandparents/great-grandparents on the wall but I didn't really take a pic of that wall.

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/CatwomanofV/084_zps0d001c34.jpg

Here is the chandelier-an eBay find.

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/CatwomanofV/085_zps77848209.jpg

From the other side of the room. Those are my mother's Hitchcock chairs (well, Hitchcock wannabes.) My grandmother's tables.  My dad & step-dad's baby pics are on the wall. One of my grandmother's needlepoints and a poster of my dad's.

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/CatwomanofV/088_zpscbd94077.jpg

My mother's pics of Maine along with a Norman Rockwell print of hers on the left and more of my grandgrandmother's needlepoints on the right.

There will probably be more stuff that will go into this room. I will be getting my step-father's/mother's elephants and my grandmother's (my mother's biological mother who I never met) desk. I may also be getting my grandfather's portrait but who knows where that will go.

I thought I had a pic of the chandelier in the living room but I don't. I'll post one soon.

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/23/14 at 8:26 pm

Beautiful.  I love the idea of a memorial room, somewhere you can go and just still be surrounded by family (even if they are not with us anymore.)  That is a lovely idea.  Carlos is a good painter.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/24/14 at 3:07 pm

This was the chandelier that was in the dinning room when we bought the house but it was put in the living room.

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/CatwomanofV/017_zpse8eda7cf.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/CatwomanofV/015_zpsdf1b8c45.jpg

The chandelier that I originally wanted was on eBay. We even got up in the middle of the night to watch it. I am kicking myself for not putting in the higher bid and someone beat us out at the last minute. Man, I was so angry at myself for that.

I found this one also on eBay but it was a Buy It Now so I didn't have to worry about losing:

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/CatwomanofV/067_zps0c33add7.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/CatwomanofV/069_zps786f33a3.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/CatwomanofV/070_zps5a151a0f.jpg

I wasn't too sure about it-even after I bought it. But now that it is up I am very please with it. It looks like it was made for this house. The other one would have been beautiful but this one is, too.

Cat

Written By: Henk on 12/25/14 at 12:50 am

Is it just me, or do those doorways seem really narrow?  ???

Written By: Henk on 12/25/14 at 12:56 am

Cat: thanks for the updates. The rooms look awesome! Like Patty, I love the idea of a memory room.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/25/14 at 9:07 am

Beautiful.  I love the idea of a memorial room, somewhere you can go and just still be surrounded by family (even if they are not with us anymore.)  That is a lovely idea.  Carlos is a good painter.  :)

Thanks Pattie

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/18/15 at 1:20 pm

A new chapter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ShNj8Teyws

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 04/18/15 at 2:31 pm

A new chapter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ShNj8Teyws

Cat

Very beautiful house. That's your voice during the video?  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/18/15 at 2:47 pm

Very beautiful house. That's your voice during the video?  :)

Nah, just some person we dragged off the street.  ;) :D ;D ;D  Yeah, it is my voice.

I can't agree more that it is a beautiful house-and once it gets painted, it will be even more so.

I just realized that I didn't post the last one-right before we moved in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTVGbsL-4vw

This shows a lot of the before & after.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 04/18/15 at 5:56 pm

As for houses, I love old abandoned houses. I think I watch too many 80s horror movies.  :-X

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/29/15 at 2:57 am

thanks for the update on the house.  I was wondering how it was coming along.  Love the hallway chandelier and the railings for the porch and stairs.  I love the painted stairs as well.  I am a fan of the wrought iron railing, but it if was rotted (not wroghted  ;D) then you were right in taking them out.  Are you planning any fancy finials or trimmings for the outside (I think they are called gingerbread or something like that.)

The house is coming along beautifully.  Sad also to see the trees go, but glad you planted more  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/29/15 at 11:34 am

thanks for the update on the house.  I was wondering how it was coming along.  Love the hallway chandelier and the railings for the porch and stairs.  I love the painted stairs as well.  I am a fan of the wrought iron railing, but it if was rotted (not wroghted  ;D) then you were right in taking them out.  Are you planning any fancy finials or trimmings for the outside (I think they are called gingerbread or something like that.)

The house is coming along beautifully.  Sad also to see the trees go, but glad you planted more  :)

The chandelier in the foyer is original to the house. Like I said in the video, I found her sister on-line but they wanted over $800 for it.  :o :o :o  I would have loved to have the matching one in the upstairs hallway but we just couldn't afford that.

The painting starts TOMORROW!!!! YAY!!! It is going to look so beautiful (well more beautiful) when it is done.

Can't tell you how many times we have heard people say, "We are so glad you are doing that to the house." I think this is going to be the third most beautiful house in town. The first one is a B&B made out of marble, the second one is also made of marble but it is apartments for the elderly, and now this one. There are photos of both of those houses all over the internet. There is only one or two of this one (both were taken when it was on the market). I'm sure once it gets painted, there will be photos all over the place of it.

Our "catsitter" told us when we were in Puerto Rico, some woman came to the door and said that she used to live there and wanted to come in and see what we have done. Our "catsitter" told her that he didn't live there and to come back when we get back. She didn't. He did say that she glanced in through the door and said it looked beautiful.

The thing is, for the past 50 years or so, no one has really put in the work that she needed. Some one TRIED but probably made it worse (like the original moulding in the living room that is now gone). 

I can't wait to have the downstairs bathroom redone but that is going to have to wait-unless I win the lottery soon.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/16/15 at 2:49 pm

This was a pic that I took 2 years ago:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r92/aandcsattic/046_zpsjydsag0x.jpg

And here is a pic that I took almost 2 weeks ago:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r92/aandcsattic/021_zpspdqf7c08.jpg

Hard to believe it is the same house. The cupola still needs to be done. The painters are hoping to be finished by next week. Then I will create my next and last video-for now.

People are looking at the house as they pass by and many are honking their horns at our painters and/or stopping to say something about it. Someone told Carlos that he has never seen this house looking so good. Next weekend when we have our Spring Fling barbecue, I'm sure we are going to hear a lot of complements. But we need to give kudos to our painters. They are doing an OUTSTANDING job.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/22/15 at 5:32 pm

From the original listing when we bought the house:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r92/aandcsattic/picture-uh462d70b870c0db1c258eafa31e9425-ps71127f8cc76383305e3b2ea49bdaa89b_zpspabcgueo.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r92/aandcsattic/lfd84f943-m1x_zpsv1plrw3y.jpg

These are two that I took this morning.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r92/aandcsattic/058_zps3i4r6y12.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r92/aandcsattic/050_zpswwndoyb0.jpg

It is now one of the prettiest houses in town.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/22/15 at 5:42 pm

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r92/aandcsattic/picture-uh462d70b870c0db1c258eafa31e9425-ps71127f8cc76383305e3b2ea49bdaa89b_zpspabcgueo.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r92/aandcsattic/lfd84f943-m1x_zpsv1plrw3y.jpg

Cat
Wow!!! It looks wonderful.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/22/15 at 5:58 pm

Wow!!! It looks wonderful.

Thanks, and it was well worth being woken up every day for the past month or so.

I have lived in this town for about 15 years and really didn't know that this house existed. I even knew a woman who lived in it-when she was living in it. And I was working across the street from it. The thing is, the house disappeared-hidden in plain sight. From those first two pics, you can see how that would happen. Now, she is telling the world, "I am here! Look at me! Aren't I beautiful?"

I want to give her a name but haven't come up with anything as of yet. I am open to suggestions. But, "Cathouse" or "Cat's House" is a not contender.  ;) :D :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/30/15 at 1:05 am

It's beautiful.

Some names to consider:

Since it's Victorian:
  Victor/Victoria
Vilissa French Means to love and cherish life (Submitted by Babies Online Member)
Villetta French From the countly estate
Villette French From the countly estate
  Valicity French Great happiness

Or maybe:

Red Clover
Crimson Clover
CHARLTON Charles's dwelling

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/30/15 at 11:58 am

It's beautiful.

Some names to consider:

Since it's Victorian:
  Victor/Victoria
Vilissa French Means to love and cherish life (Submitted by Babies Online Member)
Villetta French From the countly estate
Villette French From the countly estate
  Valicity French Great happiness

Or maybe:

Red Clover
Crimson Clover
CHARLTON Charles's dwelling

Thanks.

The house did have a name at one time, "The 1880 House" which I think sucks-considering the house was probably built in 1865-at least that is what we were told. We haven't done the research yet to find out for sure. We believe the original house was probably built in 1865 & the addition (the dinning & kitchen). The people who we know who used to live in this house (and told us about "the Lady") dubbed it that and tried to open a B&B. They told us that they invested in the wrong places which is why they couldn't make a go of it.

We have been getting into the Hallmark Channel's show called "Good Witch." The main character has a B&B called "Gray House." That would be an appropriate name for ours but I don't want to steal a name. I think she needs her own name.

FYI: We have been living in the house for a little over a year now and we have not seen or heard any evidence of "The Lady." We are a bit disappointed but it is probably a good thing. I hope she likes what we have been doing. I really do believe she does. I think she would let us know if she didn't.

Cat

I was kind of thinking something "manor." Everyone kept telling me that a manor has several outbuildings. Today we got our insurance statement and they insure our garage separately. Why? I haven't the foggiest. Anyway, I was thinking if the insurance company thinks of it as an outbuilding, maybe this really is a manor.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/01/15 at 7:50 am

I was kind of thinking something "manor." Everyone kept telling me that a manor has several outbuildings. Today we got our insurance statement and they insure our garage separately. Why? I haven't the foggiest. Anyway, I was thinking if the insurance company thinks of it as an outbuilding, maybe this really is a manor.

Maybe something like

The Misty witch manor
Myst Manor
Mysty Majick Manor or Triple  M for short
Dial M for Manor
Cat, book and Manor house
Sailor's Myst Manor

Ask the painters if they know the name of the actual color that they painted the outside and make something up using that name

Or
mares de gris plata manor

Casa plata solariega de los gatos

The pewter palace

Gato y Carlos Castillo de felinos  ;D

Feldgrau Fraulein Manor

Yeah I have nothing.  :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/01/15 at 10:55 am

Maybe something like

The Misty witch manor
Myst Manor
Mysty Majick Manor or Triple  M for short
Dial M for Manor
Cat, book and Manor house
Sailor's Myst Manor

Ask the painters if they know the name of the actual color that they painted the outside and make something up using that name

Or
mares de gris plata manor

Casa plata solariega de los gatos

The pewter palace

Gato y Carlos Castillo de felinos  ;D

Feldgrau Fraulein Manor

Yeah I have nothing.  :D

The colors are Dorian Gray, Storm Cloud, & Burgundy. (I picked out the colors so I know their names.  ;) :D ;D ;D )

I mentioned to the painters about a name and one suggested "The Fireplace Mansion."

She definitely isn't a "mansion."

I'm sure her name will be revealed when she is ready to reveal it. In the meanwhile, we are loving the fact that when people walk by, the stop and look.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 06/01/15 at 10:44 pm

Cat

It's so beautiful.  :\'(  :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/02/15 at 11:37 am

It's so beautiful.  :\'(  :\'(

Thank you.

Why are you crying-or is that tears of joy?  ;)

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/03/15 at 12:38 am

The burgundy is an interesting accent choice.

I would be terrible at picking colors.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/03/15 at 10:21 am

The burgundy is an interesting accent choice.

I would be terrible at picking colors.

If you look at the "before" pic, the doors and that section right over the front walkway was a red color. We thought it looked good against the gray. When the guys had the windows off of the cupola, there was red-so somewhere along the line red was already on the house.

My colors are blues & reds. As a teen I don't think I owned anything clothing that wasn't blue and white. As I grew older, I started going toward reds. If you look at the pics I posted on the inside, the crown molding in the front room with the bay window is blue and the curtains are red. I also like purples because red & blue make purple.

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/06/15 at 12:06 pm

Also looks like you changed the windows in the cuppola/tower thingy.  Where it used to be slatted/shuttered, now it's windows.  Pretty.  Where you able to remove the graffiti from inside?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/06/15 at 1:14 pm

Also looks like you changed the windows in the cuppola/tower thingy.  Where it used to be slatted/shuttered, now it's windows.  Pretty.  Where you able to remove the graffiti from inside?

Yeah, we took down the shutters. They were full of old wasps nests. By getting rid of them, hopefully the wasps will stay away. The glass in a couple of the windows had to be replace because our painters had a couple of oops.  :-spy on the neighbors look at the stars.

In terms of the graffiti, Carlos spray painted over the obnoxious spray paint. He used a gray to match the walls. We decided to leave the names and the old photos that are up there. Carlos & I need to add our names. Most of the dates are 2000 or later. The funny thing is, when it was done and I went up there, I saw a couple of names that I didn't noticed before-with a date of 1953! They are names I haven't heard before that are associated with the house. We really need to go to the town office to do more research. We only have the title search going back to 1967. 

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/24/15 at 3:14 am

Yeah, we took down the shutters. They were full of old wasps nests. By getting rid of them, hopefully the wasps will stay away. The glass in a couple of the windows had to be replace because our painters had a couple of oops.  :-spy on the neighbors look at the stars.

In terms of the graffiti, Carlos spray painted over the obnoxious spray paint. He used a gray to match the walls. We decided to leave the names and the old photos that are up there. Carlos & I need to add our names. Most of the dates are 2000 or later. The funny thing is, when it was done and I went up there, I saw a couple of names that I didn't noticed before-with a date of 1953! They are names I haven't heard before that are associated with the house. We really need to go to the town office to do more research. We only have the title search going back to 1967. 

Cat

Very cool.  I tried to do a title search on my parents home.  I got back to where my grandparents bought it, but couldn't figure it out on my own from there.  I always meant to get someone to help me look, and never got around to it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/24/15 at 10:42 am

I am working on the last chapter. I should be done within a week or so.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/28/15 at 12:33 pm

The latest chapter (not the last).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap0Cuohppqs

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/29/15 at 2:49 am

Boy, they sure do paint fast!  ;D

It's turning out quite lovely!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/29/15 at 3:32 am

The latest chapter (not the last).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap0Cuohppqs

Cat

Boy, they sure do paint fast!  ;D

It's turning out quite lovely!
The video needs a soundtrack? How about the Benny Hill Theme "Yakerty Sax"?

ZnHmskwqCCQ

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/29/15 at 9:53 am

The video needs a soundtrack? How about the Benny Hill Theme "Yakerty Sax"?

ZnHmskwqCCQ

I used it for this video.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7tmB9bzz50

Cat

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/11/16 at 12:45 pm

How is the house coming along?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/11/16 at 2:37 pm

How is the house coming along?

It is funny you should ask because just yesterday I sent an email to our contractor about FINALLY having that downstairs bathroom redone. We couldn't do it before because...well...the painting pretty much broke the bank. We now have the funds to the do the bathroom. I will probably do another video when it is done.

The garage still needs to be done (replace windows, some rotted floorboards on the second floor & painted) but that still needs to be put on hold for a few reasons-1. can't get into the garage because of all the crap stuff we have in there-trying to get rid of it with yard sales (had one last year-one last month and will have another one the end of this month), & 2. we can't get into the garage because there is 25 foot boat parked in front of the garage. It is listed on Craigslist but so far, we haven't been able to sell it.  :(

We still need to do the landscaping.

Still getting complements from people walking by.  :) And it is a VERY comfortable house. People who come in to the house says it is very inviting and that there is such a warm vibe to the place.

Thanks for asking.

Cat

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/11/16 at 3:45 pm

Have you ever found anything cool in the house during the renovations? Anything from vintage newspapers, old photos, and other things that could get lost under floorboards? Maybe even a secret passage way or two? :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/11/16 at 5:46 pm

Have you ever found anything cool in the house during the renovations? Anything from vintage newspapers, old photos, and other things that could get lost under floorboards? Maybe even a secret passage way or two? :D

The place was pretty well picked clean before we bought it-much to our disappointment. But, we did find a few interesting items. Under one of the floorboards, they did find a vintage ceramic saucer. I wanted to keep it part of the decor so I now use it to hold my sponges/scrubbers by the kitchen sink.

When the porch was being redone, we found a sales slip for heating oil. I know that sounds pretty boring but I think the date was something like 1951 or '52. The phone number listed for the oil company only had 4 numbers.

Down in the basement on the wall is a chart that has the delivery of heating fuel-this time is wasn't oil but coal. The dates are in from the 1930s.

We also found two pieces of wood tied together and we had no idea what it was. We asked our local auctioneer and he said it was a lard press.

It looks a bit like this but I think ours looks nicer:

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BK-MpR_CUAAQeWT.jpg:medium

Up in the cupola, there are a lot of names-most are from 2000 and later. However, after we had the house painted and they took off the shutters, I have found a signature dated for 1952. There are also old newspaper or magazine pics on the wall. I think they are from the turn of the century-maybe even a little older. You can see some of them in the video-"Revisited" where I go up into the cupola. I didn't show the signature from 1952 but I did show the pics. Check it out. I think they are really cool. (BTW, we let all our grandkids put their names up there-now we have to do that, too.  ;) :D ;D ;D )

I did find a plastic recorder in the built-in. I already have a nicer one (a wooden one) so I really don't need/want it. I am trying to sell it at my yard sales.

Before we moved in, we were showing the place to the people who used to live here years before we bought it. When we were in the attic, they found something that used to belong to them-so they took it. Not too sure what it was.

And of course we found that fireplace that you can see in the second video.

Not a lot but some sort of interesting stuff.

Cat

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/12/16 at 8:43 am

Interesting finds :) You should post a picture of the saucer. That's curious about the previous owners who took the object from the attic. How long ago did they live there? Do you have any information on the original owners of the house? Sorry for the million questions, I'm just always intrigued by old houses!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/12/16 at 12:33 pm

Interesting finds :) You should post a picture of the saucer. That's curious about the previous owners who took the object from the attic. How long ago did they live there? Do you have any information on the original owners of the house? Sorry for the million questions, I'm just always intrigued by old houses!

We haven't gone to the town office yet to research who the original owner was-we keep talking about it but haven't done it as of yet. When we bought the house, we got the title search that went back to 1967. At that time, it was owned by three sisters. One of those sisters was the mother of the guy we know (who took whatever it was from the attic). He informed us when they bought the house, the house next door was also part of the property and they could have bought it at a very low cost. But, they didn't feel the need to own two houses. Which is a shame because the guy who owns the house now chopped it up into 6 apartments (Carlos actually lived in one of the apartments when he was divorcing his first wife-very tiny-one room, kitchen & bathroom. I think the room I'm in now-the office that you can see in the videos-is about the size of his apartment).

They sold the house in 2000-mainly because it was very expensive to heat. Fuel oil at the time was pretty steep. They told us that they pretty much lived downstairs so they didn't have to heat the upstairs. They also had issues with living with his mother but that was another issue.

They were the ones who told us about "The Lady." They said that she would tuck their kids in at night. The bathroom light would turn on every night at 7 and they had a rocking chair in the living room that would rock on it's own. Things were disappear for awhile only to reappear again. But, since we have lived here, we have not seen or heard anything. So, I guess "The Lady" is happy that we put the love back into this house.

There is another theory. We have friends who bought an old farmhouse (from the 1700s). I asked them if the place was haunted. He said yes-by them.  ???  He doesn't believe that time is linear and it was them who haunted the place from the future. After they moved in, the haunting stopped. So, maybe I am "The Lady" from the future-which would explain why she is no longer haunting the place.

I don't mind the questions. I LOVE talking about this house. When we bought the house, I was grieving my sister, both my parents, & my father-in-law, not to mention having a hormonal imbalance. I was very depressed. The house gave me something to concentrate my energies on. It really brought me out of my depression. I know it sounds kind of corny but not only did we save this house, this house saved me. I absolutely love this house and sometimes when I think about it, I realized that I have a smile on my face. I joke that this is MY house and I allow my husband to live here. He knows that really is more mind than his-but he loves it, too. 

Any more questions?

Cat

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/12/16 at 1:44 pm

There is another theory. We have friends who bought an old farmhouse (from the 1700s). I asked them if the place was haunted. He said yes-by them.  ???  He doesn't believe that time is linear and it was them who haunted the place from the future. After they moved in, the haunting stopped. So, maybe I am "The Lady" from the future-which would explain why she is no longer haunting the place.

Cat

Now THAT is an interesting theory. I smell a movie idea!

Do you know what year the house was built?

When I moved to the city last Spring the building I lived in was pretty old - built in 1907. At one point I checked the 1910, 1920, 1930, and 1940 census records to see who was living there back then. It was almost chilling to read the names and info knowing I was walking in their footsteps and sleeping in their rooms every day. Also looking at the handwriting on the document ~70-100 years later and knowing the census taker who wrote it in was probably standing right in the foyer at the time -- it almost gives you goosebumps.

I liked that apartment a lot. It was huge for what I was paying and retained a lot of the vintage charm. Unfortunately it was in a sketchy area so I moved to another neighborhood when my lease was up. The building I'm in now is apparently even older (1892?) but it was completely gutted and rehabbed some years ago so it doesn't have any of that vintage charm :(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/12/16 at 3:22 pm

Now THAT is an interesting theory. I smell a movie idea!

Do you know what year the house was built?

When I moved to the city last Spring the building I lived in was pretty old - built in 1907. At one point I checked the 1910, 1920, 1930, and 1940 census records to see who was living there back then. It was almost chilling to read the names and info knowing I was walking in their footsteps and sleeping in their rooms every day. Also looking at the handwriting on the document ~70-100 years later and knowing the census taker who wrote it in was probably standing right in the foyer at the time -- it almost gives you goosebumps.

I liked that apartment a lot. It was huge for what I was paying and retained a lot of the vintage charm. Unfortunately it was in a sketchy area so I moved to another neighborhood when my lease was up. The building I'm in now is apparently even older (1892?) but it was completely gutted and rehabbed some years ago so it doesn't have any of that vintage charm :(

I hate when the gut places and remove the charm (like they did with the house next door). People kept asking us how many apartments were we putting in.  ::)

When we bought the house, we were told it is built in 1865. The people who used to live here called it the 1880 House (which is a stupid name if you ask me). They named it that because they were going to turn it into a B&B but it never got off the ground. They told us they put their $$$$ in the wrong places. We believe that the addition (dining room/kitchen) were added in 1880. I still want to give her a name but she hasn't revealed her name to us yet. I'm sure she will when she is ready.

I was able to look at the census records but had problems. Either they didn't list the number of the house, or the street name (only called it "Farm Road yadda yadda". Don't know when the road was named. Also, don't know if it still has the same number. I think it was the 1890 census records that no longer exist due to a fire.

I would love to have a magic mirror of some sort to see how this house looked when it was first built-or to see the people who lived in it. I was hoping that our friends had pics of the house way back when but so far they haven't come up with any. There is an old post card of the church next door with a house. I don't know if the house was the original rectory or this house (before the addition).

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/15/16 at 7:01 pm

I forgot one other thing that we found. An old coal cook stove.

You can see it here next to what looks like a grill.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r92/aandcsattic/009_zpsqeryj0pf.jpg

Cat

Written By: meesa on 07/15/16 at 9:10 pm

I love the updates of your house. It is the perfect kind that I have always wanted to have and you all have done such a beautiful job with it!
When you do find the name, please tell us won't you? I myself remember you saying one of the colors was Dorian grey, so in my head immediately popped Dorian Manor. I will always think of it as "Cat and Carlos' Dorian Manor" when I see your updates.  :)

Written By: 80sfan on 07/15/16 at 9:19 pm

I forgot one other thing that we found. An old coal cook stove.

You can see it here next to what looks like a grill.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r92/aandcsattic/009_zpsqeryj0pf.jpg

Cat

Can I cook for you?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/16/16 at 11:15 am

I love the updates of your house. It is the perfect kind that I have always wanted to have and you all have done such a beautiful job with it!
When you do find the name, please tell us won't you? I myself remember you saying one of the colors was Dorian grey, so in my head immediately popped Dorian Manor. I will always think of it as "Cat and Carlos' Dorian Manor" when I see your updates.  :)

Thanks. Like I said, I'm sure she will reveal her name when she is ready.

Can I cook for you?

Sure you can, anytime you want. But not on that thing. I don't cook which is why I have my own personal chef.  ;)

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/18/19 at 6:54 pm

Since I was mentioning about this on another thread, I thought that I would bump it up in case there are some people who haven't seen it and are interested in it. And of course, I have to do another shameless plug.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 09/29/19 at 5:56 pm

Glad to see it’s coming along!

Check for new replies or respond here...