inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: My 2014 Vacation

Written By: Henk on 08/09/14 at 10:37 am

Just in case anyone is interested here's a preview of my 2014 vacation/holiday pictures. Full set will be available sometime in the near future on my Flickr account.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDYNG2zF0_w

In case you don't hear any audio: it might be blocked (something to do with copyrights ::)). The music I used (Excerpts from My Secret Garden by Depeche Mode) is evidently not my own.

Subject: Re: My 2014 Vacation

Written By: whistledog on 08/09/14 at 5:13 pm

Nice pictures Henk.  I was able to hear the music.  Love the bird picture at 2:27

Written By: Howard on 08/09/14 at 6:06 pm

Love the pictures. :)

Written By: Henk on 08/10/14 at 12:30 am

Nice pictures Henk.  I was able to hear the music.  Love the bird picture at 2:27

Thank you, Jason. :) The bird is a Blue Mountain Lory - and that's about the only living thing in all pictures that I could name! ;D

Written By: Henk on 08/10/14 at 12:30 am

Love the pictures. :)

I'm glad you enjoyed them, Howard. :)

Written By: nally on 08/10/14 at 2:15 pm

Great set of pictures...I loved 'em all (especially the closeups!). :)

And great soundtrack to go with them, too.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/11/14 at 6:08 am

I love insects, even butterflies and moths.  :)

Written By: Henk on 08/11/14 at 12:52 pm

Great set of pictures...I loved 'em all (especially the closeups!). :)

And great soundtrack to go with them, too.

I love insects, even butterflies and moths.  :)

Thank you both. :)

Written By: Henk on 08/16/14 at 8:27 am

Just in case anyone is interested here's a preview of my 2014 vacation/holiday pictures. Full set will be available sometime in the near future on my Flickr account.

And as promised....JUST FOLLOW THE LINK!  8)

Pictures are posted chronologically, with the latest one first.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/16/14 at 9:02 am

Wonderful!

Written By: Henk on 08/16/14 at 9:37 am

Wonderful!

Thank you! :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/16/14 at 11:02 am

Lots of wonderful shots. I am jealous of butterflies. I love taking pics of butterflies.

Cat

Written By: karen on 08/16/14 at 2:21 pm

Lovely photos Henk.  Some great shots of the flowers in a garden

some of the butterflies I recognised because they are native to the UK.  But some I didn't recognise - the ones in the section with the exotic bird - were they taken in a butterfly house?

Written By: Howard on 08/16/14 at 6:03 pm

wow those pictures are quite gorgeous.  :)

Written By: Henk on 08/17/14 at 12:19 am

Lots of wonderful shots. I am jealous of butterflies. I love taking pics of butterflies.

Cat

Lovely photos Henk.  Some great shots of the flowers in a garden

some of the butterflies I recognised because they are native to the UK.  But some I didn't recognise - the ones in the section with the exotic bird - were they taken in a butterfly house?

wow those pictures are quite gorgeous.  :)

Thank you all for your kind words. :) I do realize not all pictures are "quite gorgeous", though. ;)

Written By: Henk on 08/17/14 at 12:23 am

To answer your question: yes, some were taken in a butterfly house. Sadly, I don't know any of the butterflies by name (be it Dutch or English).

Written By: Henk on 08/17/14 at 12:53 am

To answer your question: yes, some were taken in a butterfly house. Sadly, I don't know any of the butterflies by name (be it Dutch or English).

The only two I've been able to determine so far are the Morpho Peleides (Common Morpho or Emperor) and the Idea leuconoe (Paper Kite or Wood Nymph). There doesn't seem to be an online list of species of the butterfly house we visited.

Written By: karen on 08/17/14 at 3:20 am

It would be interesting to know if the names translate from English directly into Dutch

The butterflies I recognised weren't the ones in the butterfly house. 

There was an orange one with three black dots on the upper part of each wing - Small Tortoiseshell.

Mostly black, with red and white patterns - Red Admiral

Darkish red with eyes on the upper and lower wings - Peacock

Written By: Henk on 08/17/14 at 9:31 am

It would be interesting to know if the names translate from English directly into Dutch

The butterflies I recognised weren't the ones in the butterfly house. 

There was an orange one with three black dots on the upper part of each wing - Small Tortoiseshell.

Translated directly into Dutch, that would be a Kleine Schildpadschild. In Dutch, however, the butterfly is known as Kleine Vos (Small Fox) for reasons unbeknownst to me.

Mostly black, with red and white patterns - Red Admiral

The Red Admiral would translate as Rode Admiraal. In the Netherlands the butterfly is known by their Latin name of Atalanta.

Darkish red with eyes on the upper and lower wings - Peacock

Peacock in Dutch translates to Pauw. Interestingly, the butterfly is known as Dagpauwoog over here. Translated that would be something like Daytime Peacock's Eye.

Written By: karen on 08/18/14 at 1:22 pm

thanks for finding out those names Henk.  One more question about butterflies.  What is the Dutch for butterfly?  We've noticed how different the word is in various European languages and think it's intriguing that there doesn't seem to be a common root.

Written By: Henk on 08/19/14 at 1:30 pm

thanks for finding out those names Henk.  One more question about butterflies.  What is the Dutch for butterfly?  We've noticed how different the word is in various European languages and think it's intriguing that there doesn't seem to be a common root.

The official Dutch word for butterfly is vlinder. It is believed that both butterfly and vlinder stem from an Old Germanic word fifaldroon, though both words have developed in different directions.
In some dialects in Belgium the butterfly is known as vliebouter, and with some imagination you can make that sound like flybutter. There are several other names in Belgian dialects that, like the English word "butterfly", still reflect the old belief witches would transform into butterflies to steal cream and butter from farmers.

FYI: The butterfly stroke in swimming is known in Dutch as the vlinderslag, so we're pretty consequent there.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/19/14 at 2:37 pm

The official Dutch word for butterfly is vlinder. It is believed that both butterfly and vlinder stem from an Old Germanic word fifaldroon, though both words have developed in different directions.
In some dialects in Belgium the butterfly is known as vliebouter, and with some imagination you can make that sound like flybutter. There are several other names in Belgian dialects that, like the English word "butterfly", still reflect the old belief witches would transform into butterflies to steal cream and butter from farmers.

FYI: The butterfly stroke in swimming is known in Dutch as the vlinderslag, so we're pretty consequent there.

That is very interesting.

Karma.

Cat

Written By: Henk on 08/19/14 at 11:22 pm

That is very interesting.

Karma.

Cat

OF course, YOU wouldn't - you're the good witch!  ;)

I believe consistent is the word I was looking for, "consequent" being the Dutch equivalent in this case. It's quite confusing sometimes.

Written By: karen on 08/20/14 at 8:51 am

thanks Henk, very interesting.  And I hadn't heard that about witches becoming butterflies before

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/20/14 at 11:10 am

OF course, YOU wouldn't - you're the good witch!  ;)

I WAS going to say something about that but didn't.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...