inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Digital VS analogue pictures

Written By: Dude111 on 08/25/17 at 12:02 pm

Which do you like better??

Everyone here probably knows how much I love analog and its warmth/depth... Digital is flat and sterile and that goes for pictures also..... No life in it @ all,no depth....

What do ya'll think? (I wont get mad if someone says they love digital.. lets try and have a good open minded discussion about it)

Subject: Re: Digital VS analogue pictures

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/25/17 at 3:11 pm

I was a hold-out to getting a digital camera for the longest time. My issue with analogue was the price-buying film, getting the film developed, etc.

What made me cross over to digital was our eBay business. It started with a cheapo camera (I think it was a freebee). Man, the pics were AWFUL! We then decided to invest in a good camera-a Canon. I brought down to Puerto Rico on a visit down there which my sister joined us. She had a digital camera and was basically showing me all the pics I could take. That started it for me. With film, I only take one pic of something and hope it will come out.  What I like about digital is that I can take as many pics as I want so if one shot doesn't come out, maybe one of them will.

As for quality, I think it depends on the camera-for both analogue & digital. And with the analogue, it depends on the film, too. With many digital shots, I think they look very life-like.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5587/15126916687_e5df7c4cba_c.jpg

Yeah, that is one of my shots-taken with a Canon SX50-which has since died.  :\'( But, I did replace it with a Canon SX60.  :)  My first Canon died but I replaced that with a Canon SX200. I still use it. Sometimes the SX60 is better and sometimes the SX200 is better.

Cat

Written By: KatanaChick on 10/06/17 at 4:39 pm

With digital you can edit and review pictures, not have to wait for them to develop and see whether they came out good or not. I prefer digital for that reason. That said, phone cameras need improving, especially the selfie camera.

Written By: Dude111 on 07/08/22 at 9:08 pm

I was a hold-out to getting a digital camera for the longest time. My issue with analogue was the price-buying film, getting the film developed, etc.

What made me cross over to digital was our eBay business. It started with a cheapo camera (I think it was a freebee). Man, the pics were AWFUL! We then decided to invest in a good camera-a Canon. I brought down to Puerto Rico on a visit down there which my sister joined us. She had a digital camera and was basically showing me all the pics I could take. That started it for me. With film, I only take one pic of something and hope it will come out.  What I like about digital is that I can take as many pics as I want so if one shot doesn't come out, maybe one of them will.

Very nice Cat,thank you for your detailed reply about it :)

I hope things with your business are still going strong!!

Written By: nally on 07/08/22 at 9:09 pm

With digital you can edit and review pictures, not have to wait for them to develop and see whether they came out good or not. I prefer digital for that reason.

Agreed! That way you don't have to waste money or materials on pictures that didn't come out good.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/09/22 at 2:08 pm

Very nice Cat,thank you for your detailed reply about it :)

I hope things with your business are still going strong!!

We stopped years ago. Now, I'm trying to get rid of all our inventory. It is dwindling slowly.

Cat

Written By: Dude111 on 07/09/22 at 4:31 pm

Ahhhh im sorry to hear that :(

Cant you just give all your stuff to salvation army or something??

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/09/22 at 4:39 pm

Ahhhh im sorry to hear that :(

Cant you just give all your stuff to salvation army or something??

I'm not sorry. We said that we would do it as long as it was fun. It stopped being fun a long time ago.

I could donate it but why? I am still making money on the crap stuff. It is just taking longer. I have a yard sale every year and have unloaded a lot and last year's sale was the BEST ever! I also list some things on Craigslist. I'm hoping 2 maybe 3 more yard sales and most will be gone. THEN I may donate-or just put it all out in front with a "Free" sign. I have gotten rid of a lot that way.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/09/22 at 4:47 pm

I'm not sorry. We said that we would do it as long as it was fun. It stopped being fun a long time ago.

I could donate it but why? I am still making money on the crap stuff. It is just taking longer. I have a yard sale every year and have unloaded a lot and last year's sale was the BEST ever! I also list some things on Craigslist. I'm hoping 2 maybe 3 more yard sales and most will be gone. THEN I may donate-or just put it all out in front with a "Free" sign. I have gotten rid of a lot that way.

Cat

Some people have had success with this:

https://www.davidphenry.com/States/FreeDirt.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/09/22 at 5:27 pm

https://www.davidphenry.com/States/FreeDirt.jpg

;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: nally on 07/09/22 at 7:35 pm

THEN I may donate-or just put it all out in front with a "Free" sign. I have gotten rid of a lot that way.

Cat

Makes sense. I periodically see that sorta thing in my neighborhood.

Written By: Dude111 on 07/10/22 at 6:05 pm

http://www.davidphenry.com/States/FreeDirt.jpg

That looks promising!!

Written By: fusefan on 09/22/22 at 2:27 pm

I’ve been collecting film cameras within the past year or so. I like the ease and instantness of digital in certain situations, but film can be fun to mess with once in a while and can look really good (If you know what you’re doing) I’m looking for a battery for my 1974 Yashica GSN, (and hope it doesn’t have the Pad Of Death issue.)

I already shot some Super-8 and 16mm footage. It’s pretty cool but boy it’s pricy! But I love the way 16mm has that 1960s underground movie vibe to it.

I’ve been saving for the last month for a 1963 or newer Bolex H16. That’s gonna cost me probably over a grand. (Unless a really good deal comes my way)

Written By: fusefan on 09/22/22 at 2:32 pm

Which do you like better??

Everyone here probably knows how much I love analog and its warmth/depth... Digital is flat and sterile and that goes for pictures also..... No life in it @ all,no depth....

What do ya'll think? (I wont get mad if someone says they love digital.. lets try and have a good open minded discussion about it)

I love Analog Filmmaking. 16MM, Super-8 and hopefully Regular 8MM sometime in the future.

And I got Still cameras too. I got 35mm, 110, 120, 126, 620, Polaroid roll Film, Polaroid Packfilm, Polaroid SX70 and Polaroid 600 cameras.

Written By: Dude111 on 10/04/22 at 7:35 pm

Very nice my friend!!

Check for new replies or respond here...