inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What is this?

Written By: Dude111 on 10/30/20 at 7:49 pm

This was found this under the floor boards in a 1800s era house.

Do you know what it is?

Subject: Re: What is this?

Written By: Elor on 10/31/20 at 2:17 am

Without the spikes I would have said it's a pair of pliers to open jars or bottles with.
We have something similar just a bit larger and more modern. But I have no idea what those spikes would be good for. ???

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/31/20 at 2:50 am

Without the spikes I would have said it's a pair of pliers to open jars or bottles with.
We have something similar just a bit larger and more modern. But I have no idea what those spikes would be good for. ???

I thought about a cork remover, but the chain doesn’t allow for much movement and it doesn’t look detachable. So I’m not sure.

Edit. I did a little looking and found what it is. They call it an egg topper. I’ve never had poached eggs so I can’t visualize what they do with it.

http://branfordhouseantiques.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-product.cgi?d=branford-house-antiques&item=76847

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/31/20 at 8:54 am

An ancient form of knuckledusters?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/31/20 at 9:05 am

I always wondered about this unusual item. What exactly is it for? To play a record or the radio and play along on the little keyboard? What a strange thing.

http://i.pinimg.com/originals/ea/f4/62/eaf462e9bfd4126e38ff8b9124123c00.jpg

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/31/20 at 11:02 am

I always wondered about this unusual item. What exactly is it for? To play a record or the radio and play along on the little keyboard? What a strange thing.

http://i.pinimg.com/originals/ea/f4/62/eaf462e9bfd4126e38ff8b9124123c00.jpg

Uz4MmlRkdaw

https://atomic-flash.tumblr.com/post/110652454349/viola-audio-orp-1850-series-solid-state/amp

Looks like an early version of some toys I’ve seen before they started making them out of all plastic. It looks like this model came with white keys or colored keys. The organ sounds like a toy and the key action looks like one too. But the record player sounds good. Looks like you can play along with radio or records, and with the mic input you can sing along with them too. The earphone output would let you listen in private or record your fun onto another device. The only thing I’m not sure about is what the vibrator control is.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/31/20 at 11:11 am

Looks like an early version of some toys I’ve seen before they started making them out of all plastic. It looks like this model came with white keys or colored keys. The organ sounds like a toy and the key action looks like one too. But the record player sounds good. Looks like you can play along with radio or records, and with the mic input you can sing along with them too. The earphone output would let you listen in private or record your fun onto another device. The only thing I’m not sure about is what the vibrator control is.

Thanks. You're a regular research whiz. This could be a good thread for people to post unusual items that need to be identified.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/31/20 at 1:13 pm

This was found this under the floor boards in a 1800s era house.

Do you know what it is?

After some research, I found out that it is an egg cutter for soft boiled eggs.

Cat

Written By: karen on 10/31/20 at 3:41 pm

After some research, I found out that it is an egg cutter for soft boiled eggs.

Cat

That makes more sense than poached eggs

Subject: What is this?

Written By: Dude111 on 11/01/20 at 6:15 am

Thanx everybody :)

Interesting....Looks like she plays 45s and lets ya play along and the piano sound comes out with whats on the table!

Check for new replies or respond here...