inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: NV's Historical Landmarks and Sites Quiz(Complete!)

Written By: NullandVoid on 04/23/04 at 8:19 pm

1. Oldest surviving prison in Queensland; Gas alarms were once built here for civil defense during WWII; The Builders of this place also built St. Andrews Church
Boggo Road Gaol Mandamoo answered this correctly but Fussbudget told me that it was incorrect. Someone please enlighten me. In the meantime I'll look for the site that I found the info on.

2. "Gustave" gave this landmark his last name; nearly pulled down in 1909, but was saved because of the importance of it's radio antennae; featured in the movie "American Werewolf in _____", where the lead character saves a young woman from plunging to her death by catching her midair in a daredevil bungee jump.
The Eiffel Tower-Zella

3. King Richard II took refuge here from rioting peasants during the 14th century; Elizabeth I* was also imprisoned here; Colonel blood also attempted to steal the "Crown jewels" from this place
The Tower of London-Maddog

4. Also called the "Front doors to Freedom" it received people from 1897-1938; Over 100 million Americans can trace their roots to this place; It was restored in Sept 1990
Ellis Island-CatwomanofV

5. Has been an important symbol of sovereignty, British colonial and Canadian since 1860; along with Race Rocks Lighthouse it provides a guide for mariners to Royal Roads Anchorage and Esquimalt Harbour
Fisgard Lighthouse-Kenlos

6. The castle is situated atop a plug of volcanic rock. Three sides were protected by cliffs and access to the castle was limited to a steep road on the forth (eastern) side. Historically there was a loch on the north side of the castle, called the Nor'Loch. The loch was drained in the Georgian era Georgian architecture is the name given in English-speaking countries to the classic architectural styles current between about 1720 and 1840, named after the four British monarchs named George. The Georgian styles succeeded the English Baroque of Sir Christopher Wren, Sir John Vanbrugh and Nicholas Hawksmoor.
Edinburgh Castle-Paul   (;) niiiice!)

7. Completed on May 27 1937; The Architect was Joesph Bauerman Strauss; Featured in the Movie "The Core" you can see people being roasted by solar rays on it
Golden Gate Bridge-Bobo

8. Symbol of power for the emperor; took about 10 years to finish; stretches from Linzhao"Gansu Province"(west) to Liaodong"Jilin Province(East)
The Great Wall of China-Indy Gent

9. Built for its' namesake(a duke) in 1703; George IV employed John NAsh to build a new palace around the old house; In 1837 Queen Victoria made it the principal residence
Buckingham Palace-Paul

10. Constructed from 1870-1883; Connects my Hometown and the Borough it was named after; Featured in the movie "Kate and Leopold", according to the flick there's a time portal located next to it.
The Brooklyn Bridge-Onaree

Hmmmm.....it looks like you guys are stumped on # 5 & 6. Well I'll do ya a favor by taking the limits off!
The person(s) who answer those questions will win my respect forever. I made 5 and 6 Hard on purpose!

Subject: Re: NV's Historical Landmarks and Sites Quiz

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/23/04 at 8:28 pm

#4 Ellis Island, NJ (I think it is in NJ which doesn't make the people in NY very happy)

I read an interesting book about it called, In the Shadow of Liberty by Joseph (?) Corsi. Very interesting reading.

Cat

Written By: Indy Gent on 04/23/04 at 10:21 pm

8. The Great Wall of China

Written By: mandamoo on 04/24/04 at 12:21 am

#1  Boggo Road

Written By: Zella on 04/24/04 at 12:38 am

2. Eiffel Tower

Written By: Bobo on 04/24/04 at 1:08 am

7. Joseph Baermann Strauss was famous for being the mastermind behind the Golden Gate Bridge, as I recall.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 04/24/04 at 8:21 am

#1  Boggo Road

If this is the answer NV, then it is incorrect.  Depends on what you mean by oldest surviving prison ?  If you mean is it still standing, then yes.  Is it still used as a prison, then no.  It was last used as a prison in 1989.  It is now a museum.

Good quiz though, and really different  ;)

Written By: Paul on 04/24/04 at 12:33 pm

Super quiz NV...grey matter a-whirring...

#9. HM's London gaff...Buckingham Palace...somewhere in the smoke...

MODIFIED...as I was being greedy with two answers!! If anyone's seen the other, they can have it...!

Written By: Indy Gent on 04/24/04 at 4:14 pm

2. Eiffel Tower

Aw, Shoot! >:(
Got confused by that blank thing, which was Paris.

Written By: maddog on 04/24/04 at 4:28 pm

Hey there NV

#3 is the Tower of London in, well, London....but I don't think Elizabeth II has ever been imprisoned there, unless you know something I don't!

Written By: onaree on 04/26/04 at 8:51 am

Is 10 the Brooklyn Bridge?

Written By: NullandVoid on 04/26/04 at 6:31 pm

#1  Boggo Road

If this is the answer NV, then it is incorrect.  Depends on what you mean by oldest surviving prison ?  If you mean is it still standing, then yes.  Is it still used as a prison, then no.  It was last used as a prison in 1989.  It is now a museum.

Good quiz though, and really different  ;)

Thanks Fuss, According to what I read, it just meant that it's still an oldest surviving prison whether it's still used as one or not. I'll read about it a bit more though. :)

Written By: NullandVoid on 04/26/04 at 6:35 pm

Hey there NV

#3 is the Tower of London in, well, London....but I don't think Elizabeth II has ever been imprisoned there, unless you know something I don't!

Did I put Elizabeth II? I think I meant to put Elizabeth I. Remember the movie Elizabeth, the virgin queen?
According to that she was imprisoned there because...shoot, I forgot! i know it had something to do with a conspriracy with the catholicic church. Anyone know?

Subject: Re: NV's Historical Landmarks and Sites Quiz(2 questions left!)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 04/26/04 at 9:36 pm

1. Oldest surviving prison in Queensland; Gas alarms were once built here for civil defense during WWII; The Builders of this place also built St. Andrews Church
Boggo Road Gaol Mandamoo answered this correctly but Fussbudget told me that it was incorrect. Someone please enlighten me. In the meantime I'll look for the site that I found the info on.

Hi NV

Here ya go, possibly the same site that you saw in the first place, given the wording about St Andrew's etc !

http://www.boggoroadgaol.com.au/pages/brg-page-history.htm

Scroll to near the bottom

FB  ;)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 04/26/04 at 9:37 pm

Thanks Fuss, According to what I read, it just meant that it's still an oldest surviving prison whether it's still used as one or not. I'll read about it a bit more though. :)

Yep !  That's fine  ;)

Written By: Paul on 04/27/04 at 4:17 pm

Did I put Elizabeth II? I think I meant to put Elizabeth I. Remember the movie Elizabeth, the virgin queen?
According to that she was imprisoned there because...shoot, I forgot! i know it had something to do with a conspriracy with the catholicic church. Anyone know?

One of those 'I-wish-I'd-stayed-awake-in-history-class' moments...as far as I remember, her elder sister Mary (who was a staunch Catholic) had suspicions that Liz (Protestant) was about to overthrow her at any given time (or something like that...)...so she had her locked away - nice of your sibling to do that...!

#6. is another castle...Edinburgh Castle...

Subject: Re: NV's Historical Landmarks and Sites Quiz(1 Question left! NO LIMIT!)

Written By: Kenlos on 04/28/04 at 7:13 pm

Is 5.) Fisgard Lighthouse.  If so I have to remember to thank my cousin for that one.

Subject: Re: NV's Historical Landmarks and Sites Quiz(1 Question left! NO LIMIT!)

Written By: NullandVoid on 04/29/04 at 1:16 pm

Is 5.) Fisgard Lighthouse.   If so I have to remember to thank my cousin for that one.

Woo hooo! I didn't think anybody was gonna get that one! ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...