inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Songs about songs and artists -- All sung out!

Written By: Herauntsis on 06/23/04 at 3:13 pm

These are all songs that mention other songs and/or artists in the lyrics; not necessarily in the title and not necessarily explicitly by name.  Extra points if you can name the artist/song named or talked about.  In some songs there are more than one other song or artist.  Limit 3, please.

Of the two left, one is by Roger Daltrey, and the other is by Neil Sedaka

1.  The radio's playing some forgotten song  Radar Love, Golden Earring -- Paul

2.  I had the radio on, I was drivin’  Running Down A Dream, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- maddog

3.  Singing songs about the Southland  Sweet Home Alabama, Lynyrd Skynyrd -- CF

4.  But if I really say it, the radio won’t play it  I Dig Rock & Roll Music, Peter, Paul & Mary -- Gaylon

5.  the quartet practiced in the park  American Pie, Don McLean -- Bobo

6.  Broke, busted, disgusted, agents can't be trusted  Creeque Alley, The Mamas & Papas -- Paul

7.  And we are so amazed, we're crippled and we're dazed  Empty Garden, Elton John -- Indy Gent

8.  I will always want you for my sweet heart  Oh, Carol, Neil Sedaka -- Paul

9.  Don't let the past remind us of what we are not now  Suite Judy Blue Eyes, Crosby Stills & Nash -- Gaylon

10.  Your dog keeps licking my nose  You Better You Bet, The Who -- CF

11.  And the wild man he laid the thunder down  Under a Raging Moon, Roger Daltrey -- Gaylon (sort of)

12.  Mama's dancin' with baby on her shoulder  Black Velvet, Alannah Myles -- CF & gemini

13.  Just as long as it's swingin'  Sweet Soul Music, Arthur Conley -- maddog

14.  Then life is just a one-night stand  Rock and Roll Heaven, The Righteous Brothers -- gemini

15.  and now we landed in Memphis like original sin  Tennessee Plates, Jon Hiatt or Charlie Sexton (from the soundtrack of Thelma & Louise) -- Indy Gent

Subject: Re: Songs about songs and artists

Written By: Bobo on 06/23/04 at 3:14 pm

5. American Pie - Don McLean, the quartet referred to is The Beatles

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/23/04 at 3:18 pm

Hi!

#3 is "Sweet Home Alabama" by Lynyrd Skynyrd....and the person mentioned is Neil Young.  :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/23/04 at 3:20 pm

I think #10 is "You Better You Bet" by The Who.  I'm not sure who is mentioned in the song though...

#12 is "Black Velvet" by Alannah Myles.  ;)

Written By: Paul on 06/23/04 at 3:24 pm

Hi Herauntsis...

#1. 'Radar Love' - Golden Earring...the forgotten song? Brenda Lee's 'Coming On Strong'...

#6. The quite brilliant 'Creeque Alley' - Mamas & Papas...a potted history of the group in three and a half minutes...makes mention of most of the Lovin' Spoonful, The Byrds and Barry McGuire - all related to the group in some way...

Written By: maddog on 06/23/04 at 5:01 pm

Hi there Herauntsis!

#2 Running Down A Dream - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - mentions "me and Del were singing...little Runaway" - Del Shannon
#13 - Sweet Soul Music - Albert Conley - mentions loads of soul greats like Otis Redding, Lou Rawls, Wilson Pickett etc.

Written By: Gaylon on 06/23/04 at 6:06 pm

4. I Dig Rock and ROll Music by Peter Paul and Mary - that verse was about the Mamas and Papas and the music scene in L.A.

9. Suit:Judy Blue Eyes - CSN - Judy Collins

Written By: gemini61 on 06/23/04 at 7:36 pm

12. Black Velvet/I think is about Elvis
14. Rock and Roll Heaven/Righteous Bros. mentions Jimmy Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Otis Redding and a few others.

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/23/04 at 7:36 pm

7. Empty Garden (Hey, Hey Johnny)-Elton John-About John Lennon

Written By: Herauntsis on 06/23/04 at 9:06 pm

5. American Pie - Don McLean, the quartet referred to is The Beatles

You got it.  The song also mentions, among others, directly or indirectly, The Rolling Stones, The Byrds, Bob Dylan, and of course, Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and The Big Bopper.

Written By: Herauntsis on 06/23/04 at 9:07 pm

Hi!

#3 is "Sweet Home Alabama" by Lynyrd Skynyrd....and the person mentioned is Neil Young.  :)

That would be it -- and the song it mentions is Southern Man.

Written By: Herauntsis on 06/23/04 at 9:13 pm

I think #10 is "You Better You Bet" by The Who.  I'm not sure who is mentioned in the song though...

#12 is "Black Velvet" by Alannah Myles.  ;)

You are right on #10 -- They mentioned T-Rex and also referred to one of their own albums. "Who's Next?"

"got your body right now on my mind but I drunk myself blind to the sound of old T-Rex, oh, and Who's Next?"

How did I know that you would get #12?  ;)

Written By: Herauntsis on 06/23/04 at 9:15 pm

Hi Herauntsis...

#1. 'Radar Love' - Golden Earring...the forgotten song? Brenda Lee's 'Coming On Strong'...

#6. The quite brilliant 'Creeque Alley' - Mamas & Papas...a potted history of the group in three and a half minutes...makes mention of most of the Lovin' Spoonful, The Byrds and Barry McGuire - all related to the group in some way...

Hey Paul,

Very well done -- you got the songs, the artists, and the references!  Nice work  :)

Written By: Herauntsis on 06/23/04 at 9:16 pm

Hi there Herauntsis!

#2 Running Down A Dream - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - mentions "me and Del were singing...little Runaway" - Del Shannon
#13 - Sweet Soul Music - Albert Conley - mentions loads of soul greats like Otis Redding, Lou Rawls, Wilson Pickett etc.

Hey maddog,

Very good -- you got 'em!

Written By: Herauntsis on 06/23/04 at 9:19 pm

4. I Dig Rock and ROll Music by Peter Paul and Mary - that verse was about the Mamas and Papas and the music scene in L.A.

9. Suit:Judy Blue Eyes - CSN - Judy Collins

Another good answer -- the Peter, Paul & Mary song also mentions The Beatles and Donovan.

Written By: Herauntsis on 06/23/04 at 9:21 pm

12. Black Velvet/I think is about Elvis
14. Rock and Roll Heaven/Righteous Bros. mentions Jimmy Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Otis Redding and a few others.

You have to share #12 with CF, because you didn't give the artist, and he didn't say who it was about.  That song also mentions Jimmy Rodgers.
Good job on #14.

Written By: Herauntsis on 06/23/04 at 9:22 pm

7. Empty Garden (Hey, Hey Johnny)-Elton John-About John Lennon

This song almost makes me cry every time I hear it.  Good catch

Subject: Re: Songs about songs and artists -- they're going fast, only 3 left

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/25/04 at 12:59 pm

15. Tennessee Plates-John Hiatt (Actually an ex-Hoosier)

Subject: Re: Songs about songs and artists -- they're going fast, only 3 left

Written By: Herauntsis on 06/25/04 at 1:43 pm

15. Tennessee Plates-John Hiatt (Actually an ex-Hoosier)

I was looking for Charlie Sexton as the artist -- from the soundtrack of Thelma & Louise; since John Hiatt wrote it, you got it.

The song indirectly refers to Elvis.

Subject: Re: Songs about songs and artists -- no limit -- 2 left with new hint

Written By: Herauntsis on 06/28/04 at 9:37 pm

A little bump to see if we can get these last two.  ;)

Written By: Gaylon on 06/29/04 at 11:33 am

I don't know the song but I'll bet #11 is a tribute to Keith Moon by Roger Daltrey

Written By: Herauntsis on 07/01/04 at 7:20 pm

Indeed it is.

Written By: Paul on 07/03/04 at 7:06 am

I'm totally amazed that this didn't jump up and bite me earlier...!

#8. 'Oh Carol' - Neil Sedaka

...Carol being Carol(e) King (yes, that Carole King!), who was dating Neil at around the time of this release...

Just to prove what sweethearts they were, she released a record called 'Oh Neil', which bombed completely...I've not heard it myself, so I couldn't really say why...!

Written By: Herauntsis on 07/03/04 at 11:12 am

Tou are correct on all counts -- ans we are finally done!  Thanks, Paul  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...