inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Ultimate ULTRAVOX Quiz! COMPLETE!!!!!!!

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 09/25/04 at 12:02 pm

Let's see how many closet fans can be brought out of the woodwork! There are no limits as to how many questions one can answer, since I highly doubt any one person will get all of them!

1. Midge Ure was not their original singer! Who was it?
stingr22 -

2. What year did their debut album come out? (Hint: Elvis died the same year)
Bobo -

3. A punctuation mark was tacked on to the end of their name for their first two albums. What was it?
Bobo -

4. Which song was shamefully kept from the #1 spot in the UK by a terrible novelty song in early 1981?
Bobo -

5. Which legendary producer produced their 1982 album Quartet?
Paul -

6. Who narrates "Mr. X" and also does the spoken word bit on the LP version of "We Came To Dance?" (Hint: It ain't Midge!)
Criminally Vulgar -

7. What was Ultravox originally called, and what was the name of the single they released under that name in 1975? (Hint: A flower containing the name of a member of the feline family in its name. The song is bad grammar for "not being bad.")
IndyGent -

8. Name two of the four songs they performed at Live Aid. (Or if you can, name all four!)
Bobo -

9. Who was the other band member who participated in the Band Aid project besides Midge? (Hint: Someone with a longer version of the same name had a hit with a song called "Sailing.")
CeramicsFanatic -

10. Which song was also done in German as a B-side? What's its German title? (Hint: It's one of the songs mentioned in Question 6. The translation shouldn't be too difficult.)
Criminally Vulgar -

11. Where is Warren Cann (the drummer) from originally? (You can state either just the country or the specific place.) (Hint: It's the same country I'm from, eh! Specific place: Capital city on the west coast, "on an island in the Pacific," as he himself has said.)
Criminally Vulgar -

12. How many members did the Ultravox of the 1970's have? (Hint: One more than they did in the 80's.)
CeramicsFanatic -

13. What does "Ultravox" mean?
Paul -

14. There has always been one musical instrument prominent in Ultravox' music which made them unique (in my opinon, anyway). What was it, and which band member played it? (Hint: String instrument usually seen in symphonies. Played by someone who shares his surname with a member of The Thompson Twins, though they're not related.)
karen -

15. Which album contains the single "Dancing With Tears In My Eyes," and what year was it released?
Paul -

16. Name another band Midge Ure has worked with.
maddog -

17. Midge produced a solo album by the singer of Thin Lizzy. Name him, and if you can, name the album!
maddog -

18. Complete the song title: "Cut And ____"
stingr22 - Run"]

19. How many Top 40 singles did they have in the UK?
Bobo -

20. Which band member resurrected Ultravox (in name only) in 1992, re-recording the song "Vienna" and releasing two albums? (Hint: Same answer as the second part of Question 14.)
karen -

Subject: Re: The Ultimate ULTRAVOX Quiz!

Written By: Bobo on 09/25/04 at 12:37 pm

I'll take a shot at the ones I think I know off-hand..

3. An exlamation mark (or exclamation point, if you will)
4. The fantastic "Vienna" was kept off the top spot by Joe Dolce's "Shaddap Yo Face"
8. Two of them were "Dancing With Tears In My Eyes" and "Vienna". Frantically trying to remember the others
19. I recall fourteen. (Although, he says, on further inspection, the answer might be sixteen..!)

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 09/25/04 at 12:42 pm

I'll take a shot at the ones I think I know off-hand..

3. An exlamation mark (or exclamation point, if you will)
4. The fantastic "Vienna" was kept off the top spot by Joe Dolce's "Shaddap Yo Face"
8. Two of them were "Dancing With Tears In My Eyes" and "Vienna". Frantically trying to remember the others
19. I recall fourteen. (Although, he says, on further inspection, the answer might be sixteen..!)

All correct! (And yes, they had 16 Top 40 singles.) :)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: stingr22 on 09/25/04 at 12:49 pm

1.  John Foxx

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 09/25/04 at 12:51 pm

1.  John Foxx

YAY!!!!!!!!! You are correct, sir!!! ;D

Absolutely Vile

Written By: stingr22 on 09/25/04 at 5:03 pm

18. Complete the song title: "Cut And Run"

Written By: Paul on 09/25/04 at 5:58 pm

I'll have a crack at three, AV...

#5. (Sir) George Martin

#13. I think it's Latin for 'loudest voice'...or something like that...

#15. 'Lament', which was from 1984...

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 09/25/04 at 6:31 pm

18. Complete the song title: "Cut And Run"

Good job!! :)

I'll have a crack at three, AV...

#5. (Sir) George Martin

#13. I think it's Latin for 'loudest voice'...or something like that...

#15. 'Lament', which was from 1984...

Correct! Although I always thought it was "Extreme Voice" as in the name of their official website, but close enough! ;)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: maddog on 09/27/04 at 3:28 am

Hi AV

#9 I think it was Billy Currie - I have a recollection of seeing him in the Band Aid video for "Do They Know It's Christmas"

#16 Midge Ure was in Slik (arrrggghhh!) then the Rich Kids (with former Sex Pistol Glen Matlock) and was briefly a fully paid up member of Thin Lizzy.

#17 Phil Lynott - was the album called Black Pearl? (not sure)

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 09/27/04 at 9:28 am

Hi AV

#9 I think it was Billy Currie - I have a recollection of seeing him in the Band Aid video for "Do They Know It's Christmas"

Nope, sorry, it's not Billy. In fact, not being a part of Band Aid is just one of the things he's been whinging about on his website. :)

#16 Midge Ure was in Slik (arrrggghhh!) then the Rich Kids (with former Sex Pistol Glen Matlock) and was briefly a fully paid up member of Thin Lizzy.

Correct!

#17 Phil Lynott - was the album called Black Pearl? (not sure)

Yes it's Phil Lynott, however that's not the name of one of the albums. One of them does have a song called "Yellow Pearl" though!

Absolutely Vile

Subject: Re: The Ultimate ULTRAVOX Quiz! Now with HINTS (bar one question...)

Written By: Bobo on 09/28/04 at 2:29 pm

2. '77

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 09/28/04 at 2:36 pm

2. '77

That's right! The hint was way too easy....:P

Absolutely Vile

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/29/04 at 6:46 pm

Hmmm....could #9 be Chris Cross?  ;D ;)

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 09/29/04 at 6:49 pm

Hmmm....could #9 be Chris Cross?  ;D ;)

Dammit! I practically gave that one to you in one of the games threads! :D Yes, that's right, Karen. ;)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/29/04 at 6:52 pm

Dammit! I practically gave that one to you in one of the games threads! :D Yes, that's right, Karen. ;)

Absolutely Vile

;)

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 09/29/04 at 6:54 pm

;)

I've been waiting for you to answer a question! But as you've said...the easy ones have been answered! ;)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/29/04 at 6:58 pm

I'm gonna venture a guess with #12 and say 5 band members.  :)

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/29/04 at 7:01 pm

7. I'll guess the band name was Dandelion, and the song was called "Ain't Being Bad". I'll be very surprised if I'm correct.

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 09/29/04 at 7:04 pm

I'm gonna venture a guess with #12 and say 5 band members.  :)

Yes, that's correct. :) Again, the hint was a giveaway. :P

7. I'll guess the band name was Dandelion, and the song was called "Ain't Being Bad". I'll be very surprised if I'm correct.

You know, I never considered Dandelion, but no that's not correct, sorry. As for the song, you're close! Perhaps I should have used "being bad" as part of the hint instead of "misbehaving!" (There you go...there's another hint!) :D

Absolutely Vile

Written By: karen on 09/30/04 at 6:48 am

From the hints only

#7 dandelion?

#14 Billie Currie, not sure which instrument - violin?

#20 Billie Currie

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 09/30/04 at 10:02 am

From the hints only

#7 dandelion?

Nope. IndyGent guessed that as well, and it was wrong. Different cat! OK, here's another hint: Natalie Merchant has an album of the same name.

#14 Billie Currie, not sure which instrument - violin?

Correct! Except it's "Billy." ;)

#20 Billie Currie

Good job! :)

Absolutely Vile

Subject: Re: The Ultimate ULTRAVOX Quiz! Now with HINTS (bar one question...) FOUR LEFT!!!!!!

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/30/04 at 1:04 pm

My second guess would have been Tiger Lily.

Subject: Re: The Ultimate ULTRAVOX Quiz! Now with HINTS (bar one question...) FOUR LEFT!!!!!!

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 09/30/04 at 1:16 pm

My second guess would have been Tiger Lily.

Right! Now...what's the name of the single?! :D

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/30/04 at 1:46 pm

Matchbook Romance? ???

Right! Now...what's the name of the single?! :D

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 09/30/04 at 2:06 pm

Matchbook Romance? ???

No...look at the clue again. "Bad grammar for 'not being bad.'" ;)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/30/04 at 3:45 pm

Ain't Misbehaving ???

No...look at the clue again. "Bad grammar for 'not being bad.'" ;)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 09/30/04 at 3:52 pm

Ain't Misbehaving ???

YAY!!!!!!!! You did it!!!!!!!! ;D ;D (Actually, it's "Ain't Misbehavin'," but I'll give it to you!) Congratulations! :)

OK...THREE left now! :D

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/30/04 at 3:58 pm

Thanks, AV. I concentrated on the "ain't" part and didn't think the in' was bad grammar but poor pronounciation. :-\\ 

YAY!!!!!!!! You did it!!!!!!!! ;D ;D (Actually, it's "Ain't Misbehavin'," but I'll give it to you!) Congratulations! :)

OK...THREE left now! :D

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 09/30/04 at 4:02 pm

Thanks, AV. I concentrated on the "ain't" part and didn't think the in' was bad grammar but poor pronounciation. :-\\ 

Well, it isn't, really... I just couldn't think of a better hint at the time. :)

Absolutely Vile

Subject: Re: The Ultimate ULTRAVOX Quiz! Now with HINTS (bar one question...) 3 LEFT!!!!!!

Written By: Lanie on 10/04/04 at 11:31 am

Hey AV! :)
6.Warren Cann
11.Victoria,British Columbia,Canada

Subject: Re: The Ultimate ULTRAVOX Quiz! Now with HINTS (bar one question...) 3 LEFT!!!!!!

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 10/04/04 at 12:12 pm

Hey AV! :)
6.Warren Cann
11.Victoria,British Columbia,Canada

YES! Warren did indeed narrate "Mr. X" and, yes, he's from Victoria BC! :D

OK, there's only ONE QUESTION LEFT, people!! :)

Absolutely Vile

Subject: Re: The Ultimate ULTRAVOX Quiz! Now with HINTS (bar one question...) 1 LEFT!!!!!!

Written By: Lanie on 10/06/04 at 11:46 pm

Hi AV! I think I have got the last one on this quiz! :D
10.Mr. X/Herr X

Subject: Re: The Ultimate ULTRAVOX Quiz! Now with HINTS (bar one question...) 1 LEFT!!!!!!

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 10/06/04 at 11:49 pm

Hi AV! I think I have got the last one on this quiz! :D
10.Mr. X/Herr X

YAY!!!!!!!!!!! And with that, I now declare the Ultimate Ultravox Quiz COMPLETE!!!!!!!!! :D

Absolutely Vile

Check for new replies or respond here...