inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New (non-musical) Quiz: MOVIE MERGERS! (COMPLETED)

Written By: Jared on 09/27/04 at 5:19 pm

Well, this is a new type fo quiz, and the name of the game is Movie Mergers!  The rules are simple, I shall present a description of two moives that have been fused.  The two movies will share at least one common word in their titles.  Your goal is simple: Guess the new titles, based on the premise.  For example, if the clue was "Buttercup spurns Westley to become the mate of the most famous monster of all time!", then the answer would be "The Princess Bride of Frankenstein!" Got it? Good. GO!

1. Egon Spengler and a female android with a human brain must team up against the supernatural in this cult anime sensation! (4 or 5 Words)
"GhostBusters In The Shell"- JoeDeertae

2. Jackie Chan teams up with David Arquette and enters the wacky world of pro wrestling to help the legendary Jimmy King! (6 Words)
"Ready to Rumble in the Bronx"- IndyGent

3. A would-be kinght is rocketed to the 1970s and "unsheathes his lance" as the next adult film sensation! (4 Words)
"A Boogie Knight's Tale"- Arwen

4. Can Luke and Han rescue Mary-Catherine Gallagher from the Death Star in time for the prom? (2 or 3 Words)
"Superstar Wars"- IndyGent

5. Jason Voorhees is back....in ancient Scandinavia! (4 Words)
"Friday the 13th Warrior"- Arwen

6. A troop of pathetic wannabe superheroes find themselves enlisted by the government to defend Earth from aliens! (4 Words)
"Mystery Men in Black"- Arwen

7. Luke and Han are back...and this time, Yoda tells them that they have to go back in time, or else Luke's parents will never have met! (7 Words)
"The Empire Strikes Back To The Future"- Mandamoo

8. Kal-El is the Last Son of Krypton...but he's also a myopic madman who fancies himself a knight in this superheroic musical! (4 words)
"Superman of La Mancha"- Johnny D

9. Axel Foley is one tough cop...so, when he's teamed with and eight year old kid, only chaos can occur! (6 Words)
"Beverly Hills Cop and a Half"- Arwen

10. A girl-crazy Czech doctor is struck by love for a girl who is something of a wallflower..along with the doctors ex-lover, the three mst escape when the Soviet tanks arrive, and they do escape...into the inside of a famous actor's (played by himself) mind! (7 Words)
"The Unbearable Lightness of Being John Malkovich"- Arwen

Subject: Re: New (non-musical) Quiz: MOVIE MERGERS!

Written By: Arwen on 09/27/04 at 5:30 pm

3. A would-be knight is rocketed to the 1970s and "unsheathes his lance" as the next adult film sensation! (4 Words)=

"A Boogie Knight's Tale"

6. A troop of pathetic wannabe superheroes find themselves enlisted by the government to defend Earth from aliens! (4 Words)=

"Mystery Men in Black"

9. Axel Foley is one tough cop...so, when he's teamed with and eight year old kid, only chaos can occur! (7 Words)=

"Beverly Hills Cop and a Half"  (oh wait...that's only 6 words...but it's my only guess)

Written By: Jared on 09/27/04 at 5:35 pm

Looks like I miscounted, Arwen, but you're right on all three!

Written By: mandamoo on 09/27/04 at 5:37 pm

Hi Jared....could #7 be The Empire Strikes Back To The Future ?

Written By: Jared on 09/27/04 at 5:39 pm

You bet it is, Manda!  Wow..this one's being won faster than the one-hit wonders quiz!

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/27/04 at 5:59 pm

2. Ready To Rumble In The Bronx
4. Superstar Wars

Written By: Jared on 09/27/04 at 6:15 pm

Right on both counts, Indy! D@MN, you guys are too good!

Written By: Arwen on 09/28/04 at 12:05 am

5. Jason Voorhees is back....in ancient Scandinavia! (4 Words)=

"Friday the 13th Warrior"

10. A girl-crazy Czech doctor is struck by love for a girl who is something of a wallflower..along with the docvotr's ex-lover, the three mst escape when the Soviet tanks arrive, and they do escape...into the inside of a famous actor's (played by himself) mind! (7 Words)=

"The Unbearable Lightness of Being John Malkovich"

(Pretty obscure one, here, Jared...how many people have seen "t.u.l.o.b?")

Written By: Jared on 09/28/04 at 12:13 am

I actually hadn't, and was so desperate to use Being John Malkovich that i scoured the IMDB for anything with the word "being"

But right on both counts, Princess!  MAN, you're good

Written By: Arwen on 09/28/04 at 12:21 am

I actually hadn't, and was so desperate to use Being John Malkovich that i scoured the IMDB for anything with the word "being"

But right on both counts, Princess!  MAN, you're good

Ah HA!  www.imdb.com is about the best site there is for a movie buff, I'll have to admit.

Written By: joedeertae on 09/28/04 at 11:19 am

1. Ghost Busters in the Shell.

Ghost in the Shell is a movie that I had totally forgotten about. I thought my wife's little bro and his friends were about the only ones who got into this movie.

Written By: Jared on 09/28/04 at 11:23 am

Excellent work Joe!  I'll confess I haven't seen GITS, but I knew the basic overview, and I figured that maybe it was too obscure for this quiz!  Guess not

Well, we're down to the last one..anyone can take astab at it, but I regret to inform you all that mathematically, Arwen's already our winner.  ;)

Written By: Johnny_D on 09/28/04 at 11:48 am

8. Kal-El is the Last Son of Krypton...but he's also a myopic madman who fancies himself a knight in this superheroic musical! (4 words)

My answer is....

Superman of La Mancha

Written By: Jared on 09/28/04 at 12:09 pm

You did it Johnny!

And so, our final score is:

1. Arwen- 5 Correct
2. IndyGent- 2 Correct
3. TIED: Joe Deertae, Johnny D, Mandamoo- 1 Correct eaxch

Congratulations Arwen!  And thanks to all for playing!

Beware!  The sequel arrives very soon!

Written By: joedeertae on 09/28/04 at 2:01 pm

Excellent work Joe!  I'll confess I haven't seen GITS, but I knew the basic overview, and I figured that maybe it was too obscure for this quiz!  Guess not

Well, we're down to the last one..anyone can take astab at it, but I regret to inform you all that mathematically, Arwen's already our winner.  ;)

Thanks Jared, although had it not been for my bro-in-law I prolly never would have seen it either.  ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...