inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Quiz: Are the any answers that have no questions?-3 " answers", including mine.

Written By: Red Ant on 04/14/05 at 5:41 pm

We all know there are questions that have no answers, but what about the flip side? Are the any answers that do not have any questions? I think I know of one, but it is definately " unconventional ".

Subject: Re: Quiz: Are the any answers that have no questions?

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/14/05 at 5:43 pm

Hehehe... I like this question.

yes there are, but if we knew the answer we could make up Questions for them.

Like, i'm sure you don't know any question that would match.. errrmm... i dunno the Phrase.

'A Reticulated Pythons Nostril' But i bet if you sat there and thought.. you could come up with one.

Written By: Red Ant on 04/14/05 at 8:38 pm

Hehehe... I like this question.

yes there are, but if we knew the answer we could make up Questions for them.

Like, i'm sure you don't know any question that would match.. errrmm... i dunno the Phrase.

'A Reticulated Pythons Nostril' But i bet if you sat there and thought.. you could come up with one.

As far as that answer goes, I'm not quite up do date with my herpetology, but snakes smell with their tongue and do not have nostrils per se, so a question to that answer would be: Can you name something that does not exist? ( much like the Whale-fish analogy ).
Note: Any answers are welcome, but anythng obvious such as " Smart Blonde " the question is " What is an oxymoron ". Final Thought: This quiz is not a joke nor a paradox ( as I see it ).

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/15/05 at 1:43 pm

Yes.. exceptionally bad example there. Bravo to me.

However the point i make (now i am actually not struggling to stay awake is this)

You can come up with any answer you like (and what is an answer.. just a bunch of words stuck together in some sort of order.. or numbers)

It can be anything you want it to be, but if you think long enough and hard enough, you can come up with a question to it.

The question dosen't have to make sense even, the answer could be 'green' and the question could be, name a color that isn't red, blue, orange or Purple. It dosen't have to be something anybody would ask, or anything with any meaning, it's still a question that corresponds to the answer.

Written By: Rex on 04/15/05 at 2:48 pm

A question establishes a condition that is satisfied by an appropriate answer. An answer does not establish any conditions, therefore you can always find some question that will then be satisfied by that answer. For example, if the answer is N words long, a satisfactory question could be "What is an example of a set of N words?". In order to have an answer without a question, you would have to impose conditions on the types of questions that could be used.

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/15/05 at 2:51 pm

A question establishes a condition that is satisfied by an appropriate answer. An answer does not establish any conditions, therefore you can always find some question that will then be satisfied by that answer. For example, if the answer is N words long, a satisfactory question could be "What is an example of a set of N words?". In order to have an answer without a question, you would have to impose conditions on the types of questions that could be used.

Well done.. an articulate way of saying what i wanted to.

Written By: Red Ant on 04/15/05 at 3:01 pm

Note: There are no conditions of the types of questions that can be used ( that's a hint right there ). Also, as I said before, my " answer " is quite unconventional, and I'm sure people can blow holes all through it, but I find it interesting ( and simple as well ). To use a Led Zepplin song " All will be reveiled "-later on  :)

Written By: Red Ant on 04/15/05 at 3:15 pm

It dosen't have to be something anybody would ask, or anything with any meaning, it's still a question that corresponds to the answer.

You are VERY close there ( somewhere in that part of your quote ).

Written By: Rex on 04/15/05 at 3:38 pm

" All will be reveiled "-later on  :)

I'm looking forward to it.

Written By: Paul on 04/15/05 at 5:13 pm

Well, when the 'phone rings, it's not asking you a question...

...but you still answer it...!!

Subject: Re: Quiz: Are the any answers that have no questions? ( one vaild answer so far

Written By: Red Ant on 04/15/05 at 5:24 pm

Well, when the 'phone rings, it's not asking you a question...

...but you still answer it...!!

Quite inventive!! That is a great answer that does not have a question. However that's not the one I was thinking of ( that's outside of the box for sure and may be more right than my " answer "). But in my eyes it does qualify as I stated the quiz, so I will post it as a valid answer. Dang it, I hate when I learn somenthing new!! ( sarcasm again, I love to learn ).

Subject: Re: Quiz: Are the any answers that have no questions?(one answer so far)

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/16/05 at 12:02 am

Could it be something to do with having no meaning?

Subject: Re: Quiz: Are the any answers that have no questions?(one answer so far)

Written By: Red Ant on 04/16/05 at 12:15 am

Could it be something to do with having no meaning?

Sort of.

I shall give it away. What happens when you DO NOT ask a question? You do not get an answer. So the answer to the question is of a question not asked.That's the one I had initially.( seems paradoxical but makes sense to me )

Like I said, outside of the box and someone could probably blow holes all in it, but consider this: Have you ever thought of asking someone a personal question but were afraid of the answer so you didn't ask it?  I have run this by several people who agree with it,some are confused as hell, and one who flat out disagrees. Comments?

Subject: Re: Quiz: Are the any answers that have no questions?-2 " answers", including mi

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/16/05 at 12:56 am

I can see your thinking.. don't know if it can really be applied.. but as you say it's a paradox.

Subject: Re: Quiz: Are the any answers that have no questions?-2 " answers", including mi

Written By: Red Ant on 04/16/05 at 1:08 am

I can see your thinking.. don't know if it can really be applied.. but as you say it's a paradox.

Okay, let me try this: the number zero represents nothing rght? But it exists right smack in the middle of the number line. So nothing can exist ( also empty space is considered " nothing or nothingness " by some, yet it is still there ). So a non existant question HAS a non existant answer, because the question was not asked. You probably have questions about me ( no doubt after this quiz ) but have not asked them therefore I cannot answer them. I would have an answer ( perhaps flawed/wrong ) but cannot give it until the question is asked. Basically there are answers to most questions, except the ones you do not ask.

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/16/05 at 1:16 am

Okay, let me try this: the number zero represents nothing rght? But it exists right smack in the middle of the number line. So nothing can exist ( also empty space is considered " nothing or nothingness " by some, yet it is still there ). So a non existant question HAS a non existant answer, because the question was not asked. You probably have questions about me ( no doubt after this quiz ) but have not asked them therefore I cannot answer them. I would have an answer ( perhaps flawed/wrong ) but cannot give it until the question is asked. Basically there are answers to most questions, except the ones you do not ask.

Indeed. I can see what your getting at.. of course, it dosen't really have an application.

Last season i scored 14 goals for my soccer team.. however i took 50 shots on goal, that i didn't take and scored 50 goals that i didn't score  ;) ;D

LOL.. yes i can see what your getting at.. it just.. is a bit odd.

Subject: Re: Quiz: Are the any answers that have no questions?-2 " answers", including mine.

Written By: Red Ant on 04/16/05 at 1:25 am

Yes, it is very odd, but one that I have found invaluable in real life. In my bottom comments it says " Ignorance is fatal ", which is my favorite book line of all time ( House of Usher 2 I believe, it's been a while ), but ignorance can be bliss as well ( the much more known saying ). What I'm basically doing is 2* things at the same time:

1: Challenging myself and others with hard stuff like these quizzes.
2: Reminding myself that sometimes it's best to not know too much. and*
3: Getting constantly reminded of what an odd person I am ( true enough ). :)

Written By: Rex on 04/16/05 at 10:43 am

Looking at it that way, there are an infinite number of answers that do not have questions, because the questions have not been asked. But to determine what those answers are, you would have to know every question ever asked, so that you could determine what answers were left. But in doing so, you are asking the question, what answers have not yet had questions? -- and by asking that question all of the answers that previously did not answer a question become the answer to that one.

My head hurts.

Written By: Red Ant on 04/16/05 at 4:16 pm

Looking at it that way, there are an infinite number of answers that do not have questions, because the questions have not been asked. But to determine what those answers are, you would have to know every question ever asked, so that you could determine what answers were left. But in doing so, you are asking the question, what answers have not yet had questions? -- and by asking that question all of the answers that previously did not answer a question become the answer to that one.

My head hurts.

Actually, I have found very few questons throught history that have not been asked ( though many that are not concrete answerable ).

There was ONE other answer posted that does not have a question:
A telephone when it rings does not ask a question per say, but you answer it.

The same analogy can be used for answering machines and people knocking on your door ( no questions are specifically asked, but there are PHYSICAL answers to them ).

Mine was more of a philisophical answer ( though the telephone one equally creative and more understood I surmise ).

My head hurts too. Time for some constructive smashing my fists into heavy and immovable objects so I can forget about my headache ( why take medicine? That would be LOGICAL!!! ) :) :) :)

Check for new replies or respond here...