inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Impossible Trivia

Written By: Mushroom on 09/07/05 at 9:00 pm

OK, I am gonna make a tough one here.  And here is the challenge:

Answer the questions to the best of your ability.  Do not look the answers up on-line.  Do not look at other answers first.  Feel free to leave a blank if you have no idea.

1.  Who is entombed in Grants' Tomb?
Tam's Husband: President & Mrs. Grant.  That is why it is spelled out "Grants' Tomb".  The "S apostrophe" is the Plural Possesive.

2.  What is the color of George Washington's white horse?
Karen: Grey.  The only instance where a horse is considered to be white is in the event of an albino.  In all other cases, they are Grey.

3.  Who are the 5 US Presidents that are not buried in the United States?
Powerslave:  Ford, Carter, Bush, Clinton, Bush

4.  Who was the first President Of The United States?
Loki 13:  John Hanson.  In reality, there were 14 people who held that office before George Washington.  The first was Peyton Randolph, who was the first of 6 who held office during the Revolutionary War.  Samuel Huntington was the one who held office at the end of the war, and at the beginning of the post-Revolutionary period.  John Hanson was the one who held office when the Articles Of Confederation were ratified, and was also the first to serve a full term afterwards.  7 men followed him.  George Washington was the first to be ellected to office after the Constutition was ratified, making him the first President under our current form of Government.

5.  In Atlanta Georgia, it is illegal to tie what animal to a telephone pole or street lamp?
Tam: A Giraffe

6.  How many dinosaur skeletons have been removed from the La Brea Tarpits?

Subject: Re: Impossible Trivia

Written By: Powerslave on 09/07/05 at 9:27 pm

I do believe that Harry S. Truman's middle name was just "S". And there are 50 states in the Union. At least, there was last time I checked. Washington's white horse was, er... white! Grant is buried in Grant's tomb.

3. Ford, Carter, Bush, Clinton and Bush. :D

I might let someone else do some.

Written By: Gaylon on 09/07/05 at 9:36 pm

9. the state I live in - Texas
15. Grand Tetons National Park in Wyoming

Written By: Powerslave on 09/07/05 at 9:43 pm

I just realised that the challenge is to answer them all! Oh well, I answered the ones I know.  :P

Written By: Mushroom on 09/07/05 at 9:48 pm

I just realised that the challenge is to answer them all! Oh well, I answered the ones I know.  :P

No, just answer the ones you know.  I do not expect anybody to know more then a handfull of them.  As I said:  Feel free to leave a blank if you have no idea.

I just happen to be a trivia nut is all.  The more obscure, the better.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/07/05 at 11:18 pm

I am a bit worried there are trick questions in here but here goes anyway  :o

# 4  George Washington

# 7  Fifty

# 9  Texas

Worried because they seemed easy (the rest seem bloody hard)  ;D

Written By: Tam on 09/07/05 at 11:47 pm

2. white

5. a giraffe

I take it you read Uncle John's too huh? :D ;D

Written By: FaultyDog on 09/07/05 at 11:53 pm

Having no knowledge whatsoever about the subject, I'll just go for it and say:

#1: noone is entombed in Grants' Tomb
#4: technically speaking, there hasn't been one yet. (Isn't Washington situated in the District of Columbia..?)
#5: the obvious answer would be a horse
#9: could it be Texas?

To answer the others correctly would take a hell of a lot of luck (or cheating  ;)).

Written By: Mushroom on 09/08/05 at 12:04 am

I take it you read Uncle John's too huh? :D ;D

Sorry, I do not even know what that is.

I just accumulated these over many years, and tend to remember them.

Way back when, in the time of the BBS, I ran a weekly trivia contest for a board in LA.  I normally pulled the questions from a Trivial Persuit deck, but often added bonus questions.  The bonus ones were worth double score, and almost nobody got them right.

I thought I would post some of them here, because I already gave away one of my favorite "stumpers".

In my tribute to Bob Denver, I mentioned his character on Dobie Gillis.  One of my favorite questions to ask was "Bob Denver played Maynard G. Krebs on Dobie Gillis.  What was Maynard's middle name?"  In over 2 years of running trivia, nobody ever guessed the correct answer, "Walter".

I am adding corrections to the original post as I read the guesses.  If a name and answer are not given, then it has not been guessed correctly yet.  But here are a few hints:

There are not 50 States.

Yes, Grants' Tomb is occupied.

Texas was a republic, but it was only a Republic for 9 years, not 14.

George Washington's white horse was not white.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/08/05 at 12:23 am

OK, having been thoroughly embarrassed  :-[, and having now read the questions at more length, I am gonna have a stab at one.  :o

"6.  How many dinosaur skeletons have been removed from the La Brea Tarpits?  (within the closest 100)"

I am gonna say ZERO - none have been removed.  What remains were found there have been preserved there.

Written By: jackas on 09/08/05 at 12:30 am

#7 .....1 state

#12....Glamis??

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/08/05 at 12:33 am

#7 is.....1 state

Please explain why to a poor Aussie then, Jacks ?  We always have it rammed down our throats that there are 50 !  :o

I gather that many of these questions' answers are based on how one interprets them, nonetheless, I would be intrigued as to why "one" ?

Written By: jackas on 09/08/05 at 12:35 am

Please explain why to a poor Aussie then, Jacks ?  We always have it rammed down our throats that there are 50 !  :o

I gather that many of these questions' answers are based on how one interprets them, nonetheless, I would be intrigued as to why "one" ?

I'm guessing because......United States of America.  Just a guess though.

Written By: Mushroom on 09/08/05 at 12:52 am

I'm guessing because......United States of America.  Just a guess though.

Actually, there are quite a lot of States.

Some of these I know can be considered "trick questions".  Quite a lot of them I made, because they prey on common misconceptions that people have.  The Tarpits one is a classic example.

Most people know mostly of them by shows like "The Flintstones", which casually has humans living with dinosaurs.  They also see bones in a museum, and just assume that at least some of them come from tarpits.  And there have been thousands of fossils pulled from the pits, but none are of dinosaurs.

To a degree, some of these also deal with semantics.  Quite a lot actually are head slappers, once you realize what the answer is, and why.  Question 3 is a good example of this.  Normally, that one takes quite a while until somebody gets it right.  Powerslave was very quick on the pickup obviously.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/08/05 at 12:55 am

6.  How many dinosaur skeletons have been removed from the La Brea Tarpits?  (within the closest 100)
FussBudgetVanPelt:  None.  Although the reasoning is totally wrong.  The oldest remains removed for the tarpits date back only 38,000 years.  Dinosaurs became extinct roughly 65 million years ago.

:D :D :D :D  A win is a win  ;D

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/08/05 at 12:59 am

19.  How many natural Lakes are there in Scotland?

OK.  I can handle semantics as well as the next person. 

I am gonna venture the answer to this is also ZERO, as they are referred to as "Lochs" in Scotland.

Written By: Tam on 09/08/05 at 1:20 am

9. Vermont ???

(Cause it is the 14th quarter) :D

Written By: Paul on 09/08/05 at 6:53 am

I am gonna venture the answer to this is also ZERO, as they are referred to as "Lochs" in Scotland.

Damn! I was gonna answer that!

It's also the same answer to 'How many roads are there in the City Of London?'...you'll find plenty of 'streets', 'lanes', 'alleys' and 'courts' - but no 'roads'...

Written By: karen on 09/08/05 at 7:18 am

#2 Is the white horse really a grey?

Written By: karen on 09/08/05 at 7:20 am

guessing here

#4 none because the title is something other than President of the United States.

#20 Anonymous

Written By: Valhalla on 09/08/05 at 11:59 am

i've only lived in the states for about 15 years(Pennsylvania)..... so here's my guess about #7. there are 48 "united" states and two others not directly connected(Hawaii and Alaska) as for the other questions...either they've been answered or i'm not the brightest star in the evening sky, so.....

Written By: Mushroom on 09/08/05 at 1:32 pm

i've only lived in the states for about 15 years(Pennsylvania)..... so here's my guess about #7. there are 48 "united" states and two others not directly connected(Hawaii and Alaska) as for the other questions...either they've been answered or i'm not the brightest star in the evening sky, so.....

Nope, there are less then 48 states.

Here is a clue:  Ask Maxwell Smart where he lives.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/08/05 at 1:38 pm

#7 47 because Mass. VA, and Penn. are Commonwealths

#4 John Hancock.

Cat

Written By: gambo on 09/08/05 at 1:51 pm

20. Isaac Asimov

Written By: Doc Brown on 09/08/05 at 1:53 pm

1. Cary Grant! (anyone else think of this?)
7. Actually, there are 4 comonwealths, so the asnswer is 46.
14. William Howard Taft
17. 2 (Hayes, 1876 & Bush, 2000)
21. Titanic?

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: gambo on 09/08/05 at 2:01 pm

13.  Alabama.

Written By: gambo on 09/08/05 at 2:11 pm

7.  How many states are there in the United States of America?
Doc Brown (Cat gets an honorable mention):  There are 46 States.  Kentucky, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Virgina are all Commonwealths.

In the four cases above, the fromal title of Commonwealth is merely a name and has no legal effect. Kentucky, Massachusets Pennsylvania, and Virginia are still legally States so there are actually 50 States in the USA.

Written By: Mushroom on 09/08/05 at 2:19 pm

In the four cases above, the fromal title of Commonwealth is merely a name and has no legal effect. Kentucky, Massachusets Pennsylvania, and Virginia are still legally States so there are actually 50 States in the USA.

Try to tell that to somebody that lives in Virginia or Mass!  Here is a description from Wikipedia:

Four states in the United States officially designate themselves "commonwealths": Kentucky, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. In these cases, this is merely a name and has no constitutional impact. They thus emphasize that they have a "government based on the common consent of the people", instead of a government legitimized through their earlier Royal Colony status that was derived from the King of England. This transition occurred in 1776, when the need arose to express a change in their legal status consistent with the Revolutionary War. Kentucky, at this time, was but a county of Virginia, but chose to retain the Commonwealth descriptor when it became a separate state. While the term "commonwealth" has the same legal and economic meaning as "state," the four regions that chose to designate themselves commonwealths probably did so as a reference to the earlier Commonwealth period in England which ended in 1660, when that nation was not ruled by a king.

So Constitutionally, it makes no difference.  But there is a historic reason why they are designated as such.

Written By: Mushroom on 09/08/05 at 2:20 pm

11 out of 21 have been answered so far, not to shabby!

For #4, there are 4 possible answers, one of them being George Washington.  I am not counting George, because he was #4 in the list of those in consideration.  But any of the other 3 are acceptable.

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/08/05 at 4:20 pm

17. 2 (Rutherford B. Hayes and George W. Bush in 2000.)

Written By: Powerslave on 09/08/05 at 5:20 pm

I'm very interested to know the answer to 18. BTW, thanks for this quiz, Mushroom! It certainly makes a nice change from all the lyrics quizzes!

Written By: Mushroom on 09/08/05 at 5:27 pm

I'm very interested to know the answer to 18. BTW, thanks for this quiz, Mushroom! It certainly makes a nice change from all the lyrics quizzes!

Any time.  :)  I have always loved obscure trivia, the more obscure the better.  I also find it fun to show people that things that are "commonly accepted" frequently are not true.

Here is a hint for #18:  In 1989, the US crippled the Panamanian economy by enforcing an embargo on this commodity.

Written By: Powerslave on 09/08/05 at 7:03 pm

Mushroom, you should try Dr Bob's quiz:

http://www.skeptics.com.au/quiz/index.html

Written By: Powerslave on 09/08/05 at 7:09 pm

21. The sinking of the Wilhelm Gustloff in January 1945. No one knows how many died, but it could have been as many as 10,000

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/08/05 at 7:12 pm

Now that I think about it, there were no Presidents that were elected after losing the popular vote, because neither Hayes nor Dubya was the sitting Presidents during the elections that they won. And they are the only candidates that did win Presidential elections after losing the popular vote. BTW, nice quiz. ;)  
17. 2 (Rutherford B. Hayes and George W. Bush in 2000.)

Written By: Mushroom on 09/08/05 at 7:48 pm

Now that I think about it, there were no Presidents that were elected after losing the popular vote, because neither Hayes nor Dubya was the sitting Presidents during the elections that they won. And they are the only candidates that did win Presidential elections after losing the popular vote. BTW, nice quiz. ;)  

Thanks, but I am not being that anal when it comes to the questions.  There really several Presidents that have been elected after loosing the popular vote.

Contrary to popular belief, 2000 was not an unheard of exception when it comes to the Electoral College having to cast their votes in opposition to the popular vote.

Written By: Tam on 09/08/05 at 8:17 pm

My hubby says:

1. Ulysses and his wife

:D

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/09/05 at 7:03 am

#19. There is only one lake in Scotland and that is Lake of Monteith.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/09/05 at 7:37 am

I spoke to Zella on the phone today and read these questions to her.

As she is in Ohio with no PC (I could say something cutting but will refrain)  ;D , she asked me if I could "channel" these answers to you Mushroom, for your consideration :

# 1  Mrs Grant (only)

# 4  John Adams

# 11  Jockey Ridge sand dunes in Nags Head, NC  (she tells me she has climbed them)  :o

# 16  Ronald Reagan

Written By: Mushroom on 09/09/05 at 9:22 am

I spoke to Zella on the phone today and read these questions to her.

As she is in Ohio with no PC (I could say something cutting but will refrain)  ;D , she asked me if I could "channel" these answers to you Mushroom, for your consideration :

Uhh, sorry to say, they are all wrong.  And #1 had already been answered correctly.

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/09/05 at 1:07 pm

11. Kings Canyon in Northern California

Written By: Mushroom on 09/09/05 at 3:35 pm

11. Kings Canyon in Northern California

Kings Canyon is 1.2 km deep.  The deepest is actually double that depth.

The Grand Canyon is only 1.6 km deep.

Written By: loki 13 on 09/09/05 at 5:54 pm

#4 is John Hanson

george washington is the first president under the constitution
we know today but there were seven other people president
before him,john hanson was first.

#8 hitler was rumored to have property in colorado but i don't think
it was ever proven.does this count?

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/09/05 at 8:10 pm

Okay, how about Hells Canyon in Oregon?
Kings Canyon is 1.2 km deep.  The deepest is actually double that depth.

The Grand Canyon is only 1.6 km deep.

Written By: Mushroom on 09/09/05 at 10:33 pm

Not to bad you guys, only 4 left to go. 

Written By: loki 13 on 09/10/05 at 10:04 am

#17 i am reluctant to answer this one because the obvious
is not the answer.but after the george w. bush fiasco we all
heard of the rutherford b. hayes election so i'll say two.
1) g.w.bush
2) rutherford b. hayes

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/10/05 at 10:31 am

BTW-great quiz, Mushroom

Cat

Written By: Mushroom on 09/10/05 at 12:28 pm

BTW-great quiz, Mushroom

Thanks Cat.  :)

I love some of these because they ruin the concept some people have of "History".  Quite often, what is commonly accepted as "true" is not even close.

Written By: loki 13 on 09/10/05 at 2:26 pm

i wold like to ammend my answer for #17,i forgot
about john quincy adams but i know there had to be
at least one more.man,this is driving me nuts!

Written By: Mushroom on 09/10/05 at 7:49 pm

Remember, #17 only requires you to answer how many Presidents were ellected, you do not have to name them.  :)

Written By: loki 13 on 09/10/05 at 8:00 pm

Remember, #17 only requires you to answer how many Presidents were ellected, you do not have to name them.  :)

so it is more than four? wow!

Written By: loki 13 on 09/10/05 at 8:44 pm

#12... a few years back i went on vacation in
nagshead,north carolina.they boasted the tallest
sand dune.it was jockey's ridge aka the living dune.
to modify this answer the brochure says tallest on the
east coast,second in the u.s. to sand mountain in utah.

Written By: Tam on 09/27/05 at 11:21 am

16.  Nixon? or Carter?

Written By: TheRemf on 09/30/05 at 1:04 pm

#17.  4 Presidents took office after coming in second place in the popular vote.  They were:  John Quincy Adams (1824), Rutherford B. Hayes (1876), Benjamin Harrison (1888), and George W. Bush (2000).

Written By: MLB on 10/10/05 at 2:01 pm

1.  I remember  a history channel special on Washington landmarks and only Mrs. grant is actually in the floor vault of grant's tomb.
2.,  the horse would be off-white, not white exactly so it would be a blue roan possibly.
3. ok, i just saw this answer. it's the president and former presidents that are still living that are not buried in america.
4. first elected president once there was voting & after the constitiution was ratified was Washington.
5.those archaic local codes are hilarious but i don'[t know which animal is the answer. is it horse?
7.On the continent there are 48 or 49 depending upon how you feel about Canada also being north America, however in the union at present, there are 50 states.
9.I'm going to  guess Texas.
12 I hate to be picky but after a certain height distance doesn't a sand dune get relabellled as a small mountain or a sandy soil hill?
16 Was it FDR? After the infrastructure and railways were built making train travel possible it had to be one of those presidents of mid 1900.
18 here's a bunch of guesses: is it disappearing rain forest and eco-tourism travel?  They all have two official languages? they are all below the equator?
21 I don't know the name but I bet it was a submarine.

Written By: nondiva234 on 10/11/05 at 12:00 pm

I think 12's answer is the Death Valley, hope I'm right!

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/11/05 at 4:34 pm

I think 18 is they're all Spanish speaking countries

Written By: karen on 10/12/05 at 4:14 am

12 somewhre in Colorado?

Written By: holicman on 10/19/05 at 10:12 am

16.¦nbsp; Who was the first US President to visit all 50 states?

Well, since there are 52 states, i think that logically that question has no answer, because no one has been able to visit all 52 states.............let alone 50, especially when there are 52.

If a US president has done so i would think it may have been Eisenhower or Reagan, probably reagan because he was a travelling actor.....................no one said he had to visit the state as president.

Written By: alyceclover on 10/22/05 at 12:15 am

was #15 JFK..john kennedy?

Written By: cs on 10/28/05 at 11:39 am

16. Richard Nixon

Written By: cs on 10/28/05 at 11:42 am

17.  3 - Hayes, Harris and "W" Bush

Written By: cs on 10/28/05 at 11:44 am

12. It's North or South Carolina.  I'll go with...

thinking...

thinking...

North Carolina for $200 Alex.

Written By: cs on 10/28/05 at 11:55 am

^ if Nags Head is in South Carolina, then I pick that one.  I know it's Nags Head though.

Written By: Mushroom on 01/20/06 at 8:45 pm

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this.  I just today got internet service at home again, and to be honest, I totally forgot about this.

I am going to simply give the answers to the questions not answered.  But several of them have been guessed correctly.

12:  The tallest sand dune in the US is in Idaho.  It is in the Bruneau Sand Dunes State Park, and measures an average of over 470 feet tall.

16:  Richard Nixon.  He did this during the 1960 presidential election.

17:  4.  They are John Quincy Adams (Andrew Jackson won the popular vote), Rutherford Hayes (Samuel Tilden), Benjamin Harrison (Grover Cleveland), and George Bush (Al Gore).  Notice that in 3 of the 4 instances, the President only served 1 term, and all but 2 were replaced by the person who won the vote in the previous election.

18:  This one is tricky.  In all of these countries, the official currency is the US Dollar.  Many of them (like Panama) have their own coins, but even they are minted to the same size and value as their US counterpart.

Give me a week or so, and I will post another one, and will try to keep up on it.  I apologize again for being so late in wrapping this up.

Written By: Mushroom on 01/20/06 at 8:54 pm

#18. all these places
        A) are located in the Torrid Zone (between the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn)
        B) were former colonies of various European powers.

Actually, Panama was never a colony.  It was a part of Columbia (which was already independent of Spain) until it declaired it's independence.

Check for new replies or respond here...