inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Monkees Trivia - Finished

Written By: Mushroom on 05/08/07 at 7:46 pm

OK, so you think you know The Monkees.  Here are some things you may not know about them:

1.  Michael Nesmith's mother is famous herself for what?
Windbreaker05 - Bette Nesmith-Graham was the inventer of Liquid Paper.  He inherited half of her $50,000,000 estate.

2.  Davy Jones made his American Television premiere at the same night and show as what British band?
spaceace - The Ed Sullivan Show, on the first broadcase of The Beatles

3.  What British singer and song writer had to change his name because his birth name is David Jones?
Windbreaker05 - David Bowie

4.  What was the real story behind the upbeat song Last Train To Clarksville?
spaceace - It was about a soldier who was draften, and was being sent to Vietnam

5.  Jack Nicholson was co writer and producer for their movie Head.  What prop from Head was later used in Easy Rider?
Gaylon - The gold football helmet ("Do I have a helmet? BOY DO I!")

6.  In what 1995 movie was Micky Dolenz passed over for Jim Carey?
lorac61469 - Batman Forever (Ironically, in the animated series, Micky is the voice of Two-Face)

7.  What popular commercial character is voiced by Micky Dolenz?
spaceace - He is the voice of the Snuggle Fabric Softener Bear

8.  After being frustrated by the insistance that The Monkees be allowed to perform their own music, Music Director Don Kirshner was fired.  What was the TV group that Kirshner would later create to replace them?
Windbreaker05 - The Archies (he decided to create a group without real actors, so they could be replaced if they got to demanding)

9.  What was the original opening act of the 1967 Monkees Summer Tour?
Windbreaker05 - The Jimi Hendrix Experience

10.  What Monkee won the first Grammy Award for Video of the Year?
spaceace - Michael Nesmith, 1981 for Elephant Parts

Subject: Re: Monkees Trivia

Written By: Tia on 05/08/07 at 7:48 pm

attn spaceace!!!!

Written By: spaceace on 05/08/07 at 7:52 pm

attn spaceace!!!!

Oh boy, Oh boy, oh boy!!!!! :) :) :) :) :)

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 05/08/07 at 7:56 pm

1.  Michael Nesmith's mother is famous herself for what?
Inventor of liquid paper

3.  What British singer and song writer had to change his name because his birth name is David Jones?David Bowie

8.  After being frustrated by the insistance that The Monkees be allowed to perform their own music, Music Director Don Kirshner was fired.  What was the TV group that Kirshner would later create to replace them?
I believe The Archies

9.  What was the original opening act of the 1967 Monkees Summer Tour?
Jimi Hendrix, I think

Written By: spaceace on 05/08/07 at 7:57 pm

OK, so you think you know The Monkees.  Here are some things you may not know about them:

1.  Michael Nesmith's mother is famous herself for what?  Liquid Paper AKA White Out.

2.  Davy Jones made his American Television premiere at the same night and show as what British band? The Beatles

3.  What British singer and song writer had to change his name because his birth name is David Jones? David Bowie

4.  What was the real story behind the upbeat song Last Train To Clarksville?  It's an Antiwar song about a soldier.

5.  Jack Nicholson was co writer and producer for their movie Head.  What prop from Head was later used in Easy Rider? don't know.

6.  In what 1995 movie was Micky Dolenz passed over for Jim Carey? Mask

7.  What popular commercial character is voiced by Micky Dolenz? The Snuggle Softener Bear

8.  After being frustrated by the insistance that The Monkees be allowed to perform their own music, Music Director Don Kirshner was fired.  What was the TV group that Kirshner would later create to replace them?  The Archies

9.  What was the original opening act of the 1967 Monkees Summer Tour?  Jimi Hendrix

10.  What Monkee won the first Grammy Award for Video of the Year?  Mike Nesmith, not sure of what year, could be 1980.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/08/07 at 8:02 pm

#2 Davy Jones appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show the same night as the Beatles. Jones was a member of the cast of the Broadway Show Oliver (he played the Artful Dodger) who preformed the song (I believe) "Concider Yourself".

BTW, you didn't mention how Michael Nesmith was the driving force behind the creation of MTV.

Cat

Written By: Mushroom on 05/08/07 at 8:14 pm

BTW, you didn't mention how Michael Nesmith was the driving force behind the creation of MTV.

That is very true.  He was also a major producer and creater of the first generation of music videos.

Michael created and produced the show Pop Clips for the fledgling Nickelodeon cable network.  It was then bought by Time Warner, and turned into MTV.

I am a huge fan of Michael, and love all of his works.  In addition to creating mainstream films (Timerider, Repo Man), he was also a successfull distributor of other shows (his company Pacific Arts Video was the original distributor for the Ken Burns documentaries).

The main reasin I decided to make this quiz is that I finally got my hands on their movie Head.  And I am actually watching it at this time.  Talk about a surrealistic mind-messing movie!  I am surprised it is not being used in psychology classes.

Written By: Tia on 05/08/07 at 8:16 pm

head is quite cool. kathie talked me into seeing it a few months ago.

i love the song in the very beginning when they dive off the bridge into the water. i forget the name, which is why i'm not qualified to play this quiz. although believe it or not i knew the white-out thing, sorta vaguely...kathie had told me about that too.

Written By: spaceace on 05/08/07 at 8:16 pm

That is very true.  He was also a major producer and creater of the first generation of music videos.

Michael created and produced the show Pop Clips for the fledgling Nickelodeon cable network.  It was then bought by Time Warner, and turned into MTV.

I am a huge fan of Michael, and love all of his works.  In addition to creating mainstream films (Timerider, Repo Man), he was also a successfull distributor of other shows (his company Pacific Arts Video was the original distributor for the Ken Burns documentaries).

The main reasin I decided to make this quiz is that I finally got my hands on their movie Head.  And I am actually watching it at this time.  Talk about a surrealistic mind-messing movie!  I am surprised it is not being used in psychology classes.

Micky directed some of Mike's Television Parts.

Mike also does a cameo in Repo Man.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/08/07 at 8:26 pm

I have yet to see Head. (Have to see if Netflix has it). The problem is, talking Carlos into watching it. It is bad enough that he watched MST3K with me, but to watch another bad movie (without Mike/Joel, Crow, and Tom making cracks), that might take a lot of presuasion.

Sorry to get off topic. Back to the quiz.

Cat

Written By: Gaylon on 05/08/07 at 8:54 pm

5. that would be the gold helmet "george" wore

Subject: Re: Monkees Trivia - 1 left

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/07 at 1:35 pm

#6 Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls

Written By: Mushroom on 05/10/07 at 4:35 pm

#6 Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls

Nope, sorry

Written By: lorac61469 on 05/10/07 at 5:39 pm

6.  In what 1995 movie was Micky Dolenz passed over for Jim Carey?  Batman Forever     

Check for new replies or respond here...