inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Q is for... QuiZtory [Last Answers Revealed]

Written By: Henk on 06/24/07 at 4:17 pm

You've probably never seen this before on the boards. As they say: there's a first time for everything.

So what's a QuiZtory? Simple: it's a quiz in the form of a story.
This specific story (that I've totally made up) contains at least 108 song titles. All of these songs made Dutch Top 40.
You job is to find those 108. Please note that I've thrown in a few extra (that didn't make Dutch Top 40) to make it a little harder.

On the other hand: I might've used songs without realizing it. So if you find a song that's not on my list, but did make Dutch Top 40, you get 3 bonus points.

So, in short: find the song titles of the songs that made Dutch Top 40.
Underlined means they've already been answered
Bolded and underlined means this is a part of two song titles]

It's not as hard as it may seem. ;)

Limit = OFF. Good luck, and I hope you enjoy! :)

Hints!

Here's what I'm still looking for...("or" means: same song title, but different song, "and" means it's the same song)

One Word Song Titles By:
A-Ha
Alexander O'Neal
Aretha Franklin
Bee Gees
Billy Joel
Billy Ocean
Bon Jovi
Bronski Beat or Annie Lennox
Ce Ce Peniston
Coldplay or Lindsey Buckingham
Communards or Sandie Shaw
Corrs
Depeche Mode
Erasure or Britney Spears
Fairground Attraction
Haddaway or Des'ree or Jimmy James
Hazell Dean
Inxs
Jackyll - Lumberjack
Janet Jackson - Again
Kalin Twins and Showaddywaddy
Madonna
Moby - Go
Moody Blues
N.E.R.D. or Enrique Iglesias - Maybe
Nelly Furtado
Seether - Broken
T Spoon - Smiling
Tammy Wynette
Tears for Fears or Trammps
Ten Sharp - You
U2 - Please

Two Word Song Titles By:
2 Brothers on the 4th Floor - One Day
B 52's
Backstreet Boys or Elton John
Beatles
Crabby Appleton
Elvis Presley - No More
Fleetwood Mac
Foxy Brown
Golden Earring - That Day
Kate Winslet
Kinks
Kool and the Gang
Paul McCartney - Coming Up
Rory Block - Lovin' Whiskey
Spice Girls
Take That
Temptations
Toy Box - Best Friend
Wu Tang Clan

Three Word Song Titles By:
All Star Tribute or Cyndi Lauper
Allisons
Everly Brothers - I'm Not Angry
Judds
Liberty X
Nick Kamen
R. Dean Taylor
Robert Palmer
Ruth Joy - Don't Push It

Five Word Song Titles By:
Osmonds
Rod Stewart

Seven Word Song Title By:
Prince

Scores so far:
18.0 + 15.0 whistledog
15.0 + 12.0 Windbreaker05
8.0 + 9.0  bookmistress4ever
16.0          Philip Eno
14.0          Paul
6.0 + 3.0   CeramicsFanatic / Tam
5.0 + 3.0   lorac61469
7.0             Gis / karen
4.0             jaytee
3.0             mooster
2.0             RobertK

The Most Amazing Story Ever Made Up

First and foremost: I think you oughta know this story ain't true. In fact, it's just as fake as Milli Vanilli.

Long, long ago and far, far away...there was nothing. So let's not start there.
Let's start with a biker by the name of Sam - although most people called him DC. Not everyone knew that was short for Daddy Cool. People considered him cool because of the long coat and sunglasses he'd be wearing all year round.
Sam had been a biker for as long as people could remember. He didn't seem to have any specific occupation or daytime job. He'd just always be riding his bike, or hangin' out at Lucky Joe's. It was still called Lucky Joe's although Joe had died many many years ago, and there had been a Wayne, a Jason, an Andy, a Luke, a Kevin and a Paul since, and the current owner was called Jessica. She had been a lawyer before taking over the place -but this is all nothing to do with the story.
It was at Lucky Joe's that Sam had met James, who had become his best friend over the years. James was a lumberjack and an avid hunter. Sam had developed a liking for hunting too, and so the two men would regularly go out in the fields or into a forest somewhere down by the lazy river.
Neither Sam nor James were known to be troublemakers. They appeared to have no other close friends or family. In fact, apart from their regular visits to Lucky Joe's they would avoid people as much as they could. Well, I think you get the picture.

One sunny afternoon, Sam entered Lucky Joe's with a letter in his hand. "James,", he said to the only other man present "I need to go to Beckett Springs tomorrow. Can I borrow your pick up?"
"Nope", James said, without looking up from his beer. "Need it myself. Can't you use your bike?"
"It's broken, remember? Please James - I wouldn't be asking if it wasn't really important".
James seemed reluctant. "I'm sorry, mate. You can't have it tomorrow. I'm going out tonight and I'll probably won't be back sometime tomorrow afternoon. You'll have to ask somebody else".
"Like who?", Sam replied. "Hal? I might as well go walking then!".
"Well you can't have my pick up and that's final."
Their conversation got interrupted by Jessica entering. "The usual, Sam?", she asked.
"Make it a double this time, love. I really need a drink."
Jessica filled a glass and placed it in front of Sam. She looked at both men."Looks like you two are in some sort of argument. Mind telling me what's up?"
"Could you please remind my 'friend' over here that a friend in need is a friend indeed?", Sam asked viciously, while pointing his thumb at James.
James got up from his bar stool and made a move towards Sam, but he got stopped by Jessica. "Whoa, stop it right there. No fighting in this bar." James sat down again, turning his face away from Sam in protest.
"Now I don't know what's going on here, but you better sort it out right here right now. You two go back way too far to be fighting like that."
Both men took a sip of their drinks. They refused to look at eachother and sat silent for a while.
Suddenly Jessica noticed the letter Sam had been carrying. "What's that?", she asked, and picked it up."Matthew and Son, Attorneys and Solicitors", she read, before Sam snatched the letter from her hand.
"It's a letter I got", Sam said.
"I can see that", Jessica replied "What's it say?"
Sam hesitated a moment before answering. "Apparently some distant relative has left me some money. God only knows how they tracked me down...That's why I need to go to Beckett Springs tomorrow, but mr. Pleasant here (he pointed at James) won't lend me his pick up.".
Jessica looked surprised. "That's funny," she said, "I distinctively remember him telling me he had some urgent business to attend in Beckett Springs himself." Both Sam and Jessica turned their heads towards James.
James looked miserable. "Thanks a lot, Jessica!" he muttered, before emptying his glass. "Now I'm the one in need of a drink. Fill me again."and he handed his glass to Jessica.
"So...if we're both going to Beckett Springs..." Sam didn't finish his sentence.
"I'll be leaving in 50 minutes", James said. "You better be ready".

An hour later the two men were on the road. James, still sulking, wasn't very talkative. The radio was playing country music and Sam was singing along, tapping his fingers on the dashboard.
"Could you please stop that? It's getting on my nerves.", James said.
"Ooh, touchy are we? What? Am I singing out of tune?", Sam replied teasingly.
"O for chrissake...! As much as I appreciate your company I could really do without you now. But since apparently I'm gonna be stuck with you for the next couple of hours, would you at least do me a favor and STOP SINGING AND TAPPING?!", James shouted.
"You sound a little angry", Sam noticed.
"I'm not angry", James replied "Just pissed off, that's all".
Sam thought about it for a while, and then he said: "OK, I'll stop singing and tapping".
"Thank u very much".
"You're welcome. Will you stop sulking now?"
"I'll try. I make no promises though", was James' reply.
"Good enough. Is it alright with you if I hum along?"
"Don't  push it, Sam."
"Roadblock".
"Wot?"
"Roadblock. Straight ahead." Sam pointed in the direction mentioned. "Road closed for maintenance".
"O great! Just what I needed. Now what am I gonna do? And where's the darn diversion?", James said while slowly reducing speed.
"I think we might've missed that. Just maybe. We were arguing, remember?"
"Don't remind me..." James had pulled over. "Any good ideas?"
"Well, what are the options? Going back would cost too much time. We can't go forward. Which leaves us with  left or right. Now I happen to know an old road to the right just half a mile south from here. It's known as Orchard Road. I don't know why, 'cause it's only leading to an old mine. If we take that, we'll end up in Dusty Fields."
"And from there we can take the highway. Sounds like a plan to me".

It took them a good 15 minutes to find the road Sam had been talking about.
"You call this a road?", James asked. "This isn't even a dirt track. I can never get past those bushes."
"It gets better further down the road", Sam replied, but it didn't sound very convincing. "Anyway, we don't have much choice."
"Well, not anymore", Sam said, looking at his watch. He sighed. "I must be crazy doing this...OK, here goes..." and he drove his pick up towards the bushes. Somehow he managed to maneuver his car through the obstacles, and he reached a dirt road that had seen better times.
"Are you sure we can still drive on it? It doesn't look too good to me"
"I don't know. How can I be sure? It's been more than 20 years ago since I last drove here", Sam replied.
James moaned. "This must be my lucky day. What have I done to deserve this?", he asked, raising his hands in despair.
"Shut up, will you. Just drive - it'll be alright. Trust me on this."
"It's sheer madness, I tell you...madness". James shook his head and shifted gear. "Here goes nothing..."
Much to his own surprise he managed to follow the track for the next 6 or 7 miles rather easily.
"There's gonna be a steep slope and a sharp right curve in about a mile, I think", Sam told James.
"I think I can handle that," James said. "Everything is under control."
He had barely finished when the track suddenly seemed to disappear in front of him.
"Oh my gosh, we're already there. Turn right, or we're never gonna make it. Turn! Turn! Turn!", Sam shouted, and he leaned over to grab the wheel. But it was too late...the car slipped of the road. James slammed the breaks to prevent the car from crashing into a  tree. But by doing so, the car spun and ended up in a ditch on the opposite side of the road. For the next 20 minutes, James frantically tried to free the car, but in vain.
"Perfect! Now look wot you dun...We're stuck in a ditch in the middle of nowhere. You and your shortcuts...I should have never listened to you in the first place". He slammed his fist on the wheel. "Don't you  never never ever do that again. Not when I'm behind the wheel, you hear me?!"
"Easy, man", Sam said, raising his hands in defense. "I'm really sorry I've put us into this sheesh".
"Dangit, Sam...We've gotta get out of this place within the hour. I gotta see Jane perform at the Gravel Pit tonight. I promised."
"Who's Jane?", Sam asked. "I've never heard you mention a Jane before".
James sighed. "Oh well....You would've found out sooner or later. She's my daughter. She's living with her mum in Mississippi. Or Missouri - I keep mixing them up.".
"You've been married?!" Sam shouted in disbelief. "How come you've never told me?"
"Look, I ain't too proud of what I dun, right?", James replied. "I let the girl down when she was pregnant . Ran away as far as I could. Started drinking, wanting to forget...I was a mess for nearly eight years. Before I met you".
Both men fell silent for a while.
"We wasn't married, you know...", James continued. "Gosh, she was just seventeen, I was 21...I feel like such a jerk now. I should have known better. "
"When and where was this?", Sam asked.
"Does it matter?', James replied bitterly."O, you're thinking...legal consequences. Hadn't even thought of that.
Nearly 20 years ago. Kentucky. I'm in trouble, aren't I?"
"To be honest, I don't know. I'm not a lawyer. Maybe we should ask Hal or Jessica when we get back. IF we ever get back...". He got out of the pick up. "We'd better start digging if we wanna get anywhere at all.".

James continued his story while shoveling. "I promised myself I'd go searching for the girl when she was 18. So I hired this detective about a year ago. He snooped around, looking for clues. Found out my girl's a singer - and a pretty famous one too."
"So she's taken after her daddy", Sam said.
James laughed, despite himself. "Only when I've had a few, Sam...Only when I've had a few". He shook his head and leaned on his shovel for a while. "You know she started singing when she was only five? Missed all of that of course...Missed all the good stuff."
"It's not all fun you know...Five year old girls can be a royal PitA", Sam said.
"Oh yeah, like you would know!", James said - but he wished he hadn't said it when he noticed the expression on Sam's face.
"As a matter of fact, I do." Sam had lowered his voice to a near whisper. Even though he was wearing his sunglasses, James could tell there were tears coming up in his eyes.
"So we all have our secrets...", James said. "Wanna talk about it?"
They laid down their shovels and sat down behind the pick up.
"I met my wife when I was 22. She was the most beautiful girl in the world to me. Amazingly vibrant, sparkling, dancing, alive...The life and soul of any party. Of course back then I didn't know she was lovin' whiskey just a little too much. I found out about that later.
Well, long story short: we got hitched, she got pregnant and we had our daughter. Emma..." He had to pause to blow his nose. "That was about 40 years ago. January 21, to be exact. I'll never forget that day. Couple of years went by, Lindy - my wife - continued drinking till I finally couldn't take it no more. We divorced, I left with the girl, roaming the country. Emma was four by then. I think Lindy died in some clinic, about 15 years ago. At least that's what I've heard.
Emma loved the bike. She was a natural, you know - she could drive before she could write, so to speak.
Bought her a bike for her sweet sixteen. Custom made, hand crafted...She was on cloud #9, she was. Man, those were the days..." He fell silent.
"So...what happened?", James asked after a while.
"One day  we were driving uphill when this truck appeared out of the blue. Don't know why we didn't hear it coming. Sixteen tons of steel on wheels, and apparently all brakes gone...I could swerve 'round it, but Emma couldn't.  Maybe she was blinded by the light, I don't know. She died on the spot."
He turned his head towards James. "She was everything to me, James, everything...To lose her...it felt like the world had stopped turning.  And for me, it has. I've been  reliving that moment over and over again. She was only 19, James. Life had just begun. I've  kept asking myself why. Why her? Why not me? What if I had been driving left instead of right? What if we hadn't taken that left turn? What if...? Of course, all these questions never got me any closer to an answer - if there is one."
"sheesh, man", was all James could say "I'm so sorry".
"It's alright," Sam said and he briefly put his hand on James' shoulder. "I'm slowly coming to terms with it.
But sometimes...I still have these dreams. She'll be standing there on my doorstep, smiling, saying 'Hi dad!' the way it used be... Just an illusion, of course.".
Both men got up.
"Just one more thing.", Sam said "You know, these glasses...they were hers.".

With nothing more to say, the men started shoveling again.

TO BE CONTINUED...?

Subject: Re: Q is for... QuiZtory.

Written By: whistledog on 06/24/07 at 6:30 pm

This is a fantastic idea Henk :)
I think I get it, but I don't quite know for sure, so these are total guesses ...

'Daddy Cool' - Boney M ?
'Somewhere Down the Crazy River' - Robbie Robertson ?
'Roadblock' - SAW (Stock / Aitken / Waterman) ?
'Wot' - Captain Sensible ?
'Just What I Needed' - The Cars ?

Written By: Tam on 06/24/07 at 6:51 pm

Hmmm... I hope that it is to be continued because Henk my friend, you can write!

This is what I got out of it - probably off track though:

What have I done to deserve this? - Pet Shop Boys
Daytripper - The Beatles
Leader of the Pack - The Shangri-Las
Just my Imagination - The Temptations

Tam

Written By: Henk on 06/25/07 at 12:05 am

This is a fantastic idea Henk :)

Thank you.  :) It's a lot harder than I initially thought.

I think I get it, but I don't quite know for sure, so these are total guesses ...

'Daddy Cool' - Boney M ?
'Somewhere Down the Crazy River' - Robbie Robertson ?
'Roadblock' - SAW (Stock / Aitken / Waterman) ?
'Wot' - Captain Sensible ?
'Just What I Needed' - The Cars ?

You're on the right track, Jason. "Daddy Cool", "Roadblock" and "Wot" are on my list. "Just What I Needed" isn't, but it didn't make Dutch Top 40 either. So unfortunately no points for that one.
You're close with the Robbie Robertson song, but alas... Maybe you should read that part again. ;)

Written By: Henk on 06/25/07 at 12:10 am

Hmmm... I hope that it is to be continued because Henk my friend, you can write!

You know, I wanted to write a short & funny story, but I somehow ended up with this tragedy... I had to end it here (for now) else it would've gotten way too long for this quiz.

This is what I got out of it - probably off track though:

What have I done to deserve this? - Pet Shop Boys
Daytripper - The Beatles
Leader of the Pack - The Shangri-Las
Just my Imagination - The Temptations

Tam

Hmmm...you are a bit off track, Tam, but I can see how you got those. The song titles I'm looking for are in the text literally.
So the only one I can give you credit for is "What Have I Done To Deserve This".

Written By: whistledog on 06/25/07 at 12:34 am

You're close with the Robbie Robertson song, but alas... Maybe you should read that part again. ;)

Not sure how close, but I did see another song title in that part ... 'Out in the Fields' - Gary Moore and Phil Lynott

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/07 at 1:25 am

The Most Amazing Story Ever Made Up

Long, long ago and far, far away...there was nothing. So let's not start there.
Let's start with a biker by the name of Sam - although most people called him DC. Not everyone knew that was short for Daddy Cool. People considered him cool because of the long coat and sunglasses he'd be wearing all year round.
Sam had been a biker for as long as people could remember. He didn't seem to have any specific occupation or daytime job. He'd just always be riding his bike, or hangin' out at Lucky Joe's. It was still called Lucky Joe's although Joe had died many many years ago, and there had been a Wayne, a Jason, an Andy, a Luke, a Kevin and a Paul since, and the current owner was called Jessica. She had been a lawyer before taking over the place -but this is all nothing to do with the story.
It was at Lucky Joe's that Sam had met James, who had become his best friend over the years. James was a lumberjack and an avid hunter. Sam had developed a liking for hunting too, and so the two men would regularly go out in the fields or into a forest somewhere down the lazy river.
Neither Sam nor James were known to be troublemakers. They appeared to have no other close friends or family. In fact, apart from their regular visits to Lucky Joe's they would avoid people as much as they could. Well, I think you get the picture.

One sunny afternoon, Sam entered Lucky Joe's with a letter in his hand. "James,", he said to the only other man present "I need to go to Beckett Springs tomorrow. Can I borrow your pick up?"
"Nope", James said, without looking up from his beer. "Need it myself. Can't you use your bike?"
"It's broken, remember? Please James - I wouldn't be asking if it wasn't really important".
James seemed reluctant. "I'm sorry, mate. You can't have it tomorrow. I'm going out tonight and I'll probably won't be back sometime tomorrow afternoon. You'll have to ask somebody else".
"Like who?", Sam replied. "Hal? I might as well go walking then!".
"Well you can't have my pick up and that's final."
Their conversation got interrupted by Jessica entering. "The usual, Sam?", she asked.
"Make it a double this time, love. I really need a drink."
Jessica filled a glass and placed it in front of Sam. She looked at both men."Looks like you two are in some sort of argument. Mind telling me what's up?"
"Could you please remind my 'friend' over here that a friend in need is a friend indeed?", Sam asked viciously, while pointing his thumb at James.
James got up from his bar stool and made a move towards Sam, but he got stopped by Jessica. "Whoa, stop it right there. No fighting in this bar." James sat down again, turning his face away from Sam in protest.
"Now I don't know what's going on here, but you better sort it out right here right now. You two go back way too far to be fighting like that."
Both men took a sip of their drinks. They refused to look at eachother and sat silent for a while.
Suddenly Jessica noticed the letter Sam had been carrying. "What's that?", she asked, and picked it up."Matthew and Son, Attorneys and Solicitors", she read, before Sam snatched the letter from her hand.
"It's a letter I got", Sam said.
"I can see that", Jessica replied "What's it say?"
Sam hesitated a moment before answering. "Apparently some distant relative has left me some money. God only knows how they tracked me down...That's why I need to go to Beckett Springs tomorrow, but mr. Pleasant here (he pointed at James) won't lend me his pick up.".
Jessica looked surprised. "That's funny," she said, "I distinctively remember him telling me he had some urgent business to attend in Beckett Springs himself." Both Sam and Jessica turned their heads towards James.
James looked miserable. "Thanks a lot, Jessica!" he muttered, before emptying his glass. "Now I'm the one in need of a drink. Fill me again."and he handed his glass to Jessica.
"So...if we're both going to Beckett Springs..." Sam didn't finish his sentence.
"I'll be leaving in 50 minutes", James said. "You better be ready".

An hour later the two men were on the road. James, still sulking, wasn't very talkative. The radio was playing country music and Sam was singing along, tapping his fingers on the dashboard.
"Could you please stop that? It's getting on my nerves.", James said.
"Ooh, touchy are we? What? Am I singing out of tune?", Sam replied teasingly.
"O for chrissake...! As much as I appreciate your company I could really do without you now. But since apparently I'm gonna be stuck with you for the next couple of hours, would you at least do me a favor and STOP SINGING AND TAPPING?!", James shouted.
"You sound a little angry", Sam noticed.
"I'm not angry", James replied "Just pissed off, that's all".
Sam thought about it for a while, and then he said: "OK, I'll stop singing and tapping".
"Thank u very much".
"You're welcome. Will you stop sulking now?"
"I'll try. I make no promises though", was James' reply.
"Good enough. Is it alright with you if I hum along?"
"Don't  push it, Sam."
"Roadblock".
"Wot?"
"Roadblock. Straight ahead." Sam pointed in the direction mentioned. "Road closed for maintenance".
"O great! Just what I needed. Now what am I gonna do? And where's the darn diversion?", James said while slowly reducing speed.
"I think we might've missed that. Just maybe. We were arguing, remember?"
"Don't remind me..." James had pulled over. "Any good ideas?"
"Well, what are the options? Going back would cost too much time. We can't go forward. Which leaves us with  left or right. Now I happen to know an old road to the right just half a mile south from here. It's known as Orchard Road. I don't know why, 'cause it's only leading to an old mine. If we take that, we'll end up in Dusty Fields."
"And from there we can take the highway. Sounds like a plan to me".

It took them a good 15 minutes to find the road Sam had been talking about.
"You call this a road?", James asked. "This isn't even a dirt track. I can never get past those bushes."
"It gets better further down the road", Sam replied, but it didn't sound very convincing. "Anyway, we don't have much choice."
"Well, not anymore", Sam said, looking at his watch. He sighed. "I must be crazy doing this...OK, here goes..." and he drove his pick up towards the bushes. Somehow he managed to maneuver his car through the obstacles, and he reached a dirt road that had seen better times.
"Are you sure we can still drive on it? It doesn't look too good to me"
"I don't know. How can I be sure? It's been more than 20 years ago since I last drove here", Sam replied.
James moaned. "This must be my lucky day. What have I done to deserve this?", he asked, raising his hands in despair.
"Shut up, will you. Just drive - it'll be alright. Trust me on this."
"It's sheer madness, I tell you...madness". James shook his head and shifted gear. "Here goes nothing..."
Much to his own surprise he managed to follow the track for the next 6 or 7 miles rather easily.
"There's gonna be a steep slope and a sharp right curve in about a mile, I think", Sam told James.
"I think I can handle that," James said. "Everything is under control."
He had barely finished when the track suddenly seemed to disappear in front of him.
"Oh my gosh, we're already there. Turn right, or we're never gonna make it. Turn! Turn! Turn!", Sam shouted, and he leaned over to grab the wheel. But it was too late...the car slipped of the road. James slammed the breaks to prevent the car from crashing into a  tree. But by doing so, the car spun and ended up in a ditch on the opposite side of the road. For the next 20 minutes, James frantically tried to free the car, but in vain.
"Perfect! Now look wot you dun...We're stuck in a ditch in the middle of nowhere. You and your shortcuts...I should have never listened to you in the first place". He slammed his fist on the wheel. "Don't you  never never ever do that again. Not when I'm behind the wheel, you hear me?!"
"Easy, man", Sam said, raising his hands in defense. "I'm really sorry I've put us into this sheesh".
"Dangit, Sam...We've gotta get out of this place within the hour. I gotta see Jane perform at the Gravel Pit tonight. I promised."
"Who's Jane?", Sam asked. "I've never heard you mention a Jane before".
James sighed. "Oh well....You would've found out sooner or later. She's my daughter. She's living with her mum in Mississippi. Or Missouri - I keep mixing them up.".
"You've been married?!" Sam shouted in disbelief. "How come you've never told me?"
"Look, I ain't too proud of what I dun, right?", James replied. "I let the girl down when she was pregnant . Ran away as far as I could. Started drinking, wanting to forget...I was a mess for nearly eight years. Before I met you".
Both men fell silent for a while.
"We wasn't married, you know...", James continued. "Gosh, she was just seventeen, I was 21...I feel like such a jerk now. I should have known better. "
"When and where was this?", Sam asked.
"Does it matter?', James replied bitterly."O, you're thinking...legal consequences. Hadn't even thought of that.
Nearly 20 years ago. Kentucky. I'm in trouble, aren't I?"
"To be honest, I don't know. I'm not a lawyer. Maybe we should ask Hal or Jessica when we get back. IF we ever get back...". He got out of the pick up. "We'd better start digging if we wanna get anywhere at all.".

James continued his story while shoveling. "I promised myself I'd go searching for the girl when she was 18. So I hired this detective about a year ago. He snooped around, looking for clues. Found out my girl's a singer - and a pretty famous one too."
"So she's taken after her daddy", Sam said.
James laughed, despite himself. "Only when I've had a few, Sam...Only when I've had a few". He shook his head and leaned on his shovel for a while. "You know she started singing when she was only five? Missed all of that of course...Missed all the good stuff."
"It's not all fun you know...Five year old girls can be a royal PitA", Sam said.
"Oh yeah, like you would know!", James said - but he wished he hadn't said it when he noticed the expression on Sam's face.
"As a matter of fact, I do." Sam had lowered his voice to a near whisper. Even though he was wearing his sunglasses, James could tell there were tears coming up in his eyes.
"So we all have our secrets...", James said. "Wanna talk about it?"
They laid down their shovels and sat down behind the pick up.
"I met my wife when I was 22. She was the most beautiful girl in the world to me. Amazingly vibrant, sparkling, dancing, alive...The life and soul of any party. Of course back then I didn't know she was lovin' whiskey just a little too much. I found out about that later.
Well, long story short: we got hitched, she got pregnant and we had our daughter. Emma..." He had to pause to blow his nose. "That was about 40 years ago. January 21, to be exact. I'll never forget that day. Couple of years went by, Lindy - my wife - continued drinking till I finally couldn't take it no more. We divorced, I left with the girl, roaming the country. Emma was four by then. I think Lindy died in some clinic, about 15 years ago. At least that's what I've heard.
Emma loved the bike. She was a natural, you know - she could drive before she could write, so to speak.
Bought her a bike for her sweet sixteen. Custom made, hand crafted...She was on cloud #9, she was. Man, those were the days..." He fell silent.
"So...what happened?", James asked after a while.
"One day  we were driving uphill when this truck appeared out of the blue. Don't know why we didn't hear it coming. Sixteen tons of steel on wheels, and apparently all brakes gone...I could swerve 'round it, but Emma couldn't.  Maybe she was blinded by the light, I don't know. She died on the spot."
He turned his head towards James. "She was everything to me, James, everything...To lose her...it felt like the world had stopped turning.  And for me, it has. I've been  reliving that moment over and over again. She was only 19, James. Life had just begun. I've  kept asking myself why. Why her? Why not me? What if I had been driving left instead of right? What if we hadn't taken that left turn? What if...? Of course, all these questions never got me any closer to an answer - if there is one."
"sheesh, man", was all James could say "I'm so sorry".
"It's alright," Sam said and he briefly put his hand on James' shoulder. "I'm slowly coming to terms with it.
But sometimes...I still have these dreams. She'll be standing there on my doorstep, smiling, saying 'Hi dad!' the way it used be... Just an illusion, of course.".
Both men got up.
"Just one more thing.", Sam said "You know, these glasses...they were hers.".

With nothing more to say, the men started shoveling again.

TO BE CONTINUED...?

Sam, two different songs by Keith West and Olivia Newton-John
Jessica by Emerson, Lake and Palmer
Matthew and Son  by Cat Stevens
Thank U Very Much by The Scaffold
Orchard Road by Leo Sayer

Written By: karen on 06/25/07 at 3:33 am

You were right about it being totally different Henk!

Sunglasses - Tracey Ullman
A Forest - The Cure
Sunny Afternoon - The Kinks (?)
God Only Knows - the Beach Boys

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 06/25/07 at 5:56 am

Excellent, Henk! Very creative! I'll give it a try...

1. People - Barbra Streisand
2. Stop - Sam Brown
3. Without You - Nilsson
4. Hands - Jewel
5. How Can I Be Sure - David Cassidy

Written By: mandamoo on 06/25/07 at 6:08 am

Hi Henk - fun stuff !  :)

The Letter - Joe Cocker

Urgent - Foreigner

No Promises - Icehouse

January - Pilot

Turn, Turn, Turn - Byrds

Written By: Gis on 06/25/07 at 6:22 am

Nice one Henk! but 108 songs??

Right here Right Now - Jesus Jones or Fat Boy Slim
Mississippi - Pussycat
19 - Paul Hardcastle
Just an illusion - Imagination.
Just begun - The Carpenters.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/25/07 at 6:53 am

A Friend In Need - Brian Knight?
Further Down the Road - Uncle Kracker?
Under Control - the Strokes?  or it could be Control - Janet Jackson
Blinded by the light - Manfred Mann
18 - Alice Cooper

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/25/07 at 11:32 am

Neat concept for a quiz, Henk!  8)

'Stuck With You' - Huey Lewis & The News
'Drive' - The Cars
'Sooner Or Later' - Grass Roots
'The Most Beautiful Girl' - Charlie Rich
'These Dreams' - Heart

Written By: Paul on 06/25/07 at 12:38 pm

There's interesting, Henk...very well done!

All from the final section...

'Emma' - Hot Chocolate
'Sweet Sixteen' - Billy Idol
'Those Were The Days' - Mary Hopkin
'Sixteen Tons' - Tennessee Ernie Ford
'The Way It Used To Be' - Engelbert Humperdinck

Written By: Tam on 06/25/07 at 1:03 pm

You know, I wanted to write a short & funny story, but I somehow ended up with this tragedy... I had to end it here (for now) else it would've gotten way too long for this quiz.

Hmmm...you are a bit off track, Tam, but I can see how you got those. The song titles I'm looking for are in the text literally.
So the only one I can give you credit for is "What Have I Done To Deserve This".

Haha! Looks like I suck at this one!
I was looking for hidden songs as opposed to the actual title. Ah well!
Still an excellent quiz Henk!

Now do I see:

Just what I needed - Cars
Don't You (forget about me) - Simply Red

Written By: whistledog on 06/25/07 at 1:24 pm

Just realized I've got another guess coming ...

I see 'Tonight' by The Rubettes

Written By: Henk on 06/25/07 at 3:45 pm

Not sure how close, but I did see another song title in that part ... 'Out in the Fields' - Gary Moore and Phil Lynott

"close" as in "you're actually way off" (as far as the artist is concerned). ;D You're pretty close on the title. ;)

"Out In The Fields" is on the list. Another point for you. :)

Just realized I've got another guess coming ...

I see 'Tonight' by The Rubettes

That's on the list as well. Of course, you could also have said New Kids on the Block for the artist.

Written By: Henk on 06/25/07 at 3:50 pm

Sam, two different songs by Keith West and Olivia Newton-John
Jessica by Emerson, Lake and Palmer
Matthew and Son  by Cat Stevens
Thank U Very Much by The Scaffold
Orchard Road by Leo Sayer

Five for five, Philip. :) The Keith West song never made Dutch Top 40, but the Olivia Newton-John one did. And since it's only the titles I'm after, I also accept "Jessica" by EL&P (Allman Brothers Band hit Dutch Top 40).

Written By: Henk on 06/25/07 at 3:55 pm

You were right about it being totally different Henk!

Sunglasses - Tracey Ullman
A Forest - The Cure
Sunny Afternoon - The Kinks (?)
God Only Knows - the Beach Boys

Sometimes I feel the need for change. I'm glad people are enjoying it. :)

Those four are all on my list, Karen. "Sunglasses" wasn't a very big hit, but it did make Dutch Top 40 - and that's what counts. 8)

Written By: Henk on 06/25/07 at 4:01 pm

Excellent, Henk! Very creative! I'll give it a try...

1. People - Barbra Streisand
2. Stop - Sam Brown
3. Without You - Nilsson
4. Hands - Jewel
5. How Can I Be Sure - David Cassidy

Excellent try, Andrew. :) Four of those are on my list, one isn't ("People") - but it did make Dutch Top 40. So you've earned 3 bonus points. 8)

Written By: Henk on 06/25/07 at 4:38 pm

Sorry guys, I need to speed up things a little.

Hi Henk - fun stuff !  :)

The Letter - Joe Cocker
Urgent - Foreigner
No Promises - Icehouse
January - Pilot
Turn, Turn, Turn - Byrds

Five correct song titles, but unfortunately only three made Dutch Top 40. Both "Urgent" and "No Promises" didn't, I'm afraid.

On the bright side: you've got two guesses left, Amanda. ;)

Nice one Henk! but 108 songs??

Trust me - I put them in there.

Right here Right Now - Jesus Jones or Fat Boy Slim
Mississippi - Pussycat
19 - Paul Hardcastle
Just an illusion - Imagination.
Just begun - The Carpenters.

Ha! "Right Here Right Now" was a pitfall. :P Neither the Fatboy Slim song nor the Jesus Jones song made Dutch Top 40. Quite shocking, actually...
The next three are correct, and on the list.
The Carpenters' song is called We've Only Just Begun, if I'm correct. And it's not on the list - sorry. :\'(

A Friend In Need - Brian Knight?
Further Down the Road - Uncle Kracker?
Under Control - the Strokes?  or it could be Control - Janet Jackson
Blinded by the light - Manfred Mann
18 - Alice Cooper

I like the way you're thinking, Patty. :) You've found two so far: "Control" and "Blinded By The Light".
And the good news is: "Control" wasn't on my initial list - so 3 bonus points for you. :D
I haven't put in any really obscure songs (I think), although I admit not all songs were international hits.

Neat concept for a quiz, Henk!  8)

'Stuck With You' - Huey Lewis & The News
'Drive' - The Cars
'Sooner Or Later' - Grass Roots
'The Most Beautiful Girl' - Charlie Rich
'These Dreams' - Heart

You've got four out of five, Karen. :) The Grass Roots aren't that popular over here...No Top 40 hits for them.
You did manage to score three bonus points, though, with Charlie Rich. I was so totally thinking of another song there that I completely missed this rather obvious one.

There's interesting, Henk...very well done!

All from the final section...

'Emma' - Hot Chocolate
'Sweet Sixteen' - Billy Idol
'Those Were The Days' - Mary Hopkin
'Sixteen Tons' - Tennessee Ernie Ford
'The Way It Used To Be' - Engelbert Humperdinck

As was to be expected...you got five for five, Paul. Well, not exactly...'cause if I was being really picky I'd have to disqualify "Sixteen Tons". Back in those days there was no Dutch Top 40, you see...But there were other semi-official lists, so I accept it anyway. And it's on the list.

Haha! Looks like I suck at this one!
I was looking for hidden songs as opposed to the actual title. Ah well!
Still an excellent quiz Henk!

Now do I see:

Just what I needed - Cars
Don't You (forget about me) - Simply Red

:-\\....

Sorry Tam...these aren't correct either. "Just What I Needed" had already been tried before, and "Don't You (Forget About Me)" is not in this quiz. I've tried to avoid using songs with brackets in the title.

Keep trying, please. :)

Written By: Paul on 06/25/07 at 4:43 pm

Well, not exactly...'cause if I was being really picky I'd have to disqualify "Sixteen Tons". Back in those days there was no Dutch Top 40, you see...But there were other semi-official lists, so I accept it anyway. And it's on the list.

I had an inkling that song was too early for the 'official' Dutch listings (started in 1965?), but I knew it must have been popular in some shape or form because I have a copy that's included on a Dutch LP!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/25/07 at 4:51 pm

You've got four out of five, Karen. :) The Grass Roots aren't that popular over here...No Top 40 hits for them.
You did manage to score three bonus points, though, with Charlie Rich. I was so totally thinking of another song there that I completely missed this rather obvious one.

Does this mean I have one more guess?  :)

Written By: Tam on 06/25/07 at 4:52 pm

:-\\....

Sorry Tam...these aren't correct either. "Just What I Needed" had already been tried before, and "Don't You (Forget About Me)" is not in this quiz. I've tried to avoid using songs with brackets in the title.

Keep trying, please. :)

I give up then! I know it is too early in the game but I guess I am just not good at this at all!
Ah well, maybe if I read it again I might actually spot something....

Written By: Henk on 06/25/07 at 4:55 pm

I had an inkling that song was too early for the 'official' Dutch listings (started in 1965?), but I knew it must have been popular in some shape or form because I have a copy that's included on a Dutch LP!

1965 it was. :) "Sixteen Tons" was a hit over here in 1956, when there was only a monthly listing of popular records in the "Elsevier" magazine.

Written By: Henk on 06/25/07 at 4:56 pm

Does this mean I have one more guess?  :)

Indeed it does. ::)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/25/07 at 4:59 pm

Indeed it does. ::)

Okay, then how about this one...

'It's Alright' by George Harrison?

Written By: Henk on 06/25/07 at 5:00 pm

I give up then! I know it is too early in the game but I guess I am just not good at this at all!
Ah well, maybe if I read it again I might actually spot something....

Nooooooooooooooooooooo! You can't give up just yet. Not like that. :\'(

OK Here's a hint, just for you: the title and the first line of the story contain four song titles. ;)

Written By: Henk on 06/25/07 at 5:03 pm

Okay, then how about this one...

'It's Alright' by George Harrison?

Well...yes and no. "It's alright" is on my list, but not the George Harrison song (that never made Top 40). I was thinking of a completely different song with the same title, by East 17 (that you've probably never heard of).

Still...the point is yours. :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/25/07 at 5:06 pm

Well...yes and no. "It's alright" is on my list, but not the George Harrison song (that never made Top 40). I was thinking of a completely different song with the same title, by East 17 (that you've probably never heard of).

Still...the point is yours. :)

Thank you!  :)

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/25/07 at 5:36 pm

This was hard, but a good story!  ;D

We've Gotta Get Out Of This Place
by the Animals

Blinded By The Light
by Manfred Mann's Earth Band

Push It
by Salt n Pepa

Written By: Tam on 06/25/07 at 7:02 pm

Nooooooooooooooooooooo! You can't give up just yet. Not like that. :\'(

OK Here's a hint, just for you: the title and the first line of the story contain four song titles. ;)

Amazing - Aerosmith
You Oughta know - Alanis Morissette
True - Spandau Ballet

That's all I got Henk. They don't count though cause you gave the hint! ;)

How about:
Far Away - Nickelback

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/25/07 at 7:20 pm

Look Wot You Dun - Slade?
Good enough - Sarah McLachlan
Jane - Jefferson Starship or Starship or Jefferson Airplane (Don't know who they were when they recorded this one.)

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/25/07 at 7:34 pm

I'll try another, but it's probably worng.  ;D

Money
by Pink Floyd

Written By: Henk on 06/26/07 at 12:09 am

This was hard, but a good story!  ;D

We've Gotta Get Out Of This Place
by the Animals

Blinded By The Light
by Manfred Mann's Earth Band

Push It
by Salt n Pepa

Three songs that are on my list, Carol. :) Unfortunately "Blinded By The Light" had already been answered (my fault, I forgot to underline it).

I'll try another, but it's probably worng.   ;D

Money
by Pink Floyd

You know how you sometimes overlook the obvious...? ??? That's exactly what I've done. This song title isn't on my list, but it did make Dutch Top 40 (not the Pink Floyd song, but the Beatles and the Flying Lizards did). So 3 additional bonus points for you. :)

Written By: Henk on 06/26/07 at 12:15 am

Amazing - Aerosmith
You Oughta know - Alanis Morissette
True - Spandau Ballet

That's all I got Henk. They don't count though cause you gave the hint! ;)

You still had to find them...so the points are all yours. 8)

btw: I realized later that I should've said "five" instead of "four". ::)

How about:
Far Away - Nickelback

Sorry - not on my list.  :( ...and I don't recall this making Dutch Top 40 either, but I'll check to be sure.

Written By: Henk on 06/26/07 at 12:17 am

Look Wot You Dun - Slade?
Good enough - Sarah McLachlan
Jane - Jefferson Starship or Starship or Jefferson Airplane (Don't know who they were when they recorded this one.)

I can only give you credit for one, Patty. :( Slade made Top 40, yes, but the other two songs didn't.

Written By: jaytee on 06/26/07 at 12:58 am

Hello Henk  :)

Far Far Away - Slade
I Should Have Know Better - The Beatles
Shut Up - Black Eyed Peas

Great quiz!

Written By: Gis on 06/26/07 at 3:31 am

Sorry guys, I need to speed up things a little.

Ha! "Right Here Right Now" was a pitfall. :P Neither the Fatboy Slim song nor the Jesus Jones song made Dutch Top 40. Quite shocking, actually...

So don't I get a prize for getting the trick title??  ;D
I'll add

Crazy - Gnarls Barkley (sp?)
I should have know better - Jim Diamond or The Beatles or Richard Marx!!

Written By: karen on 06/26/07 at 3:31 am

for some reason I thought the limit was four so I'll try one more

Never Ever - possibly All Saints or some other girl group

Written By: mandamoo on 06/26/07 at 6:37 am

On the bright side: you've got two guesses left, Amanda. ;)

I'll give it a go  ;)

Easy - the Commodores' version  ???

Just What I Needed - Cars

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/26/07 at 8:20 am

Crazy - Seal?

One - U2?

Everything - Michael Buble

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/26/07 at 9:31 am

Three songs that are on my list, Carol. :) Unfortunately "Blinded By The Light" had already been answered (my fault, I forgot to underline it).

You know how you sometimes overlook the obvious...? ??? That's exactly what I've done. This song title isn't on my list, but it did make Dutch Top 40 (not the Pink Floyd song, but the Beatles and the Flying Lizards did). So 3 additional bonus points for you. :)

I should have read everyone's replies before I answered, I was just too lazy!!  ;D

:)

Written By: RobertK on 06/26/07 at 11:31 am

Excellent quiz Henk!  I got so involved reading the story, I almost forgot it was a quiz! ;)  But then I remembered it was, so here are my guesses:

Lazy River  - Michael Buble
What's up - 4 Non Blondes
Picture - Kid Rock and Sheryl Crow
Time - Alan Parsons Project
I Should Have Known Better - Beatles

Written By: Henk on 06/26/07 at 4:12 pm

Let's see what we've got...

Hello Henk  :)

Far Far Away - Slade
I Should Have Know Better - The Beatles
Shut Up - Black Eyed Peas

Great quiz!

Thanks Janine. :) And you've three for three. (btw: "I Should Have Known Better" is also a song by Jim Diamond, and Madness also recorded a song called "Shut Up". Both also reached Dutch Top 40, but these are completely different songs from the ones you mentioned)

So don't I get a prize for getting the trick title??  ;D

There's more than one trick title... ::)

I'll add

Crazy - Gnarls Barkley (sp?)
I should have know better - Jim Diamond or The Beatles or Richard Marx!!

"Crazy" (also available by Aerosmith, Icehouse or Seal) is correct. Unfortunately you were just beaten to the other song. :(

for some reason I thought the limit was four so I'll try one more

Never Ever - possibly All Saints or some other girl group

"Never Ever" (indeed an All Saints song) makes it five for you. :)

I'll give it a go  ;)

Easy - the Commodores' version  ???

Just What I Needed - Cars

Neither the Commodores nor the Cars made Dutch Top 40. Of course, Faith No More did a cover of the Commodores song (which did make Top 40), but that was called "I'm Easy" - and that's not in this story.

The Cars' song had been tried twice before, btw. I think I better underline it, although it's not a correct answer.

Crazy - Seal?

One - U2?

Everything - Michael Buble

Those one word titles are always the trickiest, because they're so easy to miss. "Crazy" has just been answered, but the other two are correct. And what's more...Michael Buble (currently in Dutch Top 40) wasn't on my list, so another 3 bonus points for you. :)

Excellent quiz Henk!  I got so involved reading the story, I almost forgot it was a quiz! ;) 

...which was exactly what I had in mind, so mission accomplished.

But then I remembered it was, so here are my guesses:

Lazy River  - Michael Buble
What's up - 4 Non Blondes
Picture - Kid Rock and Sheryl Crow
Time - Alan Parsons Project
I Should Have Known Better - Beatles

I can only give you two points, Bob. "What's Up" made Dutch Top 40 (of course), and so did a song called "Time" (not by Alan Parsons Project, but by a rather obscure disco group called Stone - I think I've used a clipping in one of my quizzes).

"I Should Have Known Better" was already answered, and the other two didn't make Dutch Top 40.

Written By: Henk on 06/26/07 at 4:47 pm

Sorry - not on my list.  :( ...and I don't recall this making Dutch Top 40 either, but I'll check to be sure.

Nickelback did make Dutch Top 40, as I've found out. :) Which means you get a point and three bonus points.

Subject: Re: Q is for... QuiZtory [64 Remaining | Limit Now 10 | Hints Added]

Written By: Henk on 06/27/07 at 12:20 am

Bringing out the hints early...because I will be going on holiday coming Friday.

Answer as many as you can. :)

Written By: whistledog on 06/27/07 at 12:23 am

What Am I Gonna Do? - Rod Stewart
Radio - The Corrs

and now i'll take a shot at ones that might get me bonus points ...

Nothing - A
Alright - Supergrass
Never Never - The Assembly

Written By: Henk on 06/27/07 at 12:33 am

What Am I Gonna Do? - Rod Stewart
Radio - The Corrs

Those two are correct. :)

and now i'll take a shot at ones that might get me bonus points ...

Nothing - A
Alright - Supergrass
Never Never - The Assembly

Sorry...no bonus points. :( None of these songs (or other songs with the same title) made Dutch Top 40.

Written By: whistledog on 06/27/07 at 12:34 am

Sorry...no bonus points. :( None of these songs (or other songs with the same title) made Dutch Top 40.

:( 

Then how's about ...

Good Enough - Dodgy
Sam - Olivia Newton-John
Life - Des'ree

Subject: Re: Q is for... QuiZtory [62 Remaining | Limit Now 10 | Hints Added]

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/27/07 at 12:37 am

Is there a song called Lucky Joe and if my memory is correct it was Herman's Hermits?

Written By: Gis on 06/27/07 at 3:12 am

It's much easier with the clues!  ;D

Suddenly - Billy Ocean
Perfect  - Fairground Attraction.
What if - Kate Winslett.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/27/07 at 3:25 am

The Most Beautiful Girl In The World ~ Artist Formerly Known As Prince

Written By: Paul on 06/27/07 at 3:26 am

I was wondering why you hinted this early, Henk...and then realised you were going off on holiday!

Have a great time...hope the weather holds for you (not sure if you're getting it as damp as we are right now!)

Five more...

'Fake' - Alexander O'Neal
'Down By The Lazy River' - Osmonds
'Mr. Pleasant' - Kinks
'Are You Sure' - Allisons
'When' - (The mighty) Showaddywaddy...(modified to add - or the equally mighty Kalin Twins)

Written By: karen on 06/27/07 at 3:44 am

Why - Annie Lennox
Suddenly - Ce Ce Penneston
Always - Bon Jovi
Sometimes - Erasure

Just Seventeen - ?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/27/07 at 3:51 am

Seventeen by The Regents

That is my answer number 8.

Written By: Gis on 06/27/07 at 6:59 am

Seventeen by The Regents

Stop showing off Philip!  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/27/07 at 7:08 am

Stop showing off Philip!  ;D
;D

I have two more...

Oh Well ~ Fleetwood Mac

Why ~ Anthony Newley

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/27/07 at 8:12 am

Kentucky by Edwin Mccain

Written By: Henk on 06/27/07 at 1:43 pm

:( 

Then how's about ...

Good Enough - Dodgy
Sam - Olivia Newton-John
Life - Des'ree

I hate to disappoint you, but..."Sam" had already been answered, and "Good Enough" didn't make Top 40. I thought I had them both underlined... :-\\

"Life" on the other hand...gives you a point. :)

Written By: Henk on 06/27/07 at 1:50 pm

Is there a song called Lucky Joe and if my memory is correct it was Herman's Hermits?

There might be, but it didn't make Dutch Top 40. :(

The Most Beautiful Girl In The World ~ Artist Formerly Known As Prince

Another point for you. :)

Seventeen by The Regents

...but that didn't make Dutch Top 40.

;D

I have two more...

Oh Well ~ Fleetwood Mac

Why ~ Anthony Newley

"Oh Well" is correct, and "Why" is also on the list. Of course not the Anthony Newley song, but the songs by Bronski Beat and Annie Lennox made Dutch Top 40. So two more points, Philip. 8)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/27/07 at 1:51 pm

Is 'Out Of The Blue' by Debbie Gibson a possibility?  ???

Written By: Henk on 06/27/07 at 1:53 pm

It's much easier with the clues!  ;D

Suddenly - Billy Ocean
Perfect  - Fairground Attraction.
What if - Kate Winslett.

What If all of your answers Suddenly turn out to be Perfect?  ;D ;)

Written By: whistledog on 06/27/07 at 1:53 pm

I hate to disappoint you, but..."Sam" had already been answered, and "Good Enough" didn't make Top 40. I thought I had them both underlined... :-\\

"Life" on the other hand...gives you a point. :)

Oops I didn't even see Sam had alreaddy been answered :-[

Here's too more guesses so I can reach my limit ...

Promises - Take That
Cool - Gwen Stefani

Written By: Henk on 06/27/07 at 1:56 pm

I was wondering why you hinted this early, Henk...and then realised you were going off on holiday!

Have a great time...hope the weather holds for you (not sure if you're getting it as damp as we are right now!)

We'll be leaving Friday, which looks to be a rainy day...but prospects are better. :)

Five more...

'Fake' - Alexander O'Neal
'Down By The Lazy River' - Osmonds
'Mr. Pleasant' - Kinks
'Are You Sure' - Allisons
'When' - (The mighty) Showaddywaddy...(modified to add - or the equally mighty Kalin Twins)

Another five for five, Paul. :)

Written By: Henk on 06/27/07 at 2:00 pm

Why - Annie Lennox
Suddenly - Ce Ce Penneston
Always - Bon Jovi
Sometimes - Erasure

Just Seventeen - ?

Two more for you, Karen. :) You were just beaten to "Why" and "Suddenly", but you got the other two.

No song called "Just Seventeen" ever made Dutch Top 40. :(

btw: the Ce Ce Peniston song is still out there (it's not called "Suddenly") ;)

Written By: Henk on 06/27/07 at 2:03 pm

Kentucky by Edwin Mccain

No, sorry - that didn't make Dutch Top 40. (FYI: Neither did "Kentucky Rain" or "Kentucky Sunshine" - although these are not in the quiz)

Written By: Henk on 06/27/07 at 2:05 pm

Is 'Out Of The Blue' by Debbie Gibson a possibility?  ???

I know it's a Debbie Gibson song, and I know the title is in the story...but it never made Dutch Top 40. :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/27/07 at 2:12 pm

So with Seventeen wrong I can have another go, so:

When ~ Allisons

Written By: Gis on 06/27/07 at 2:14 pm

So Henk, you are going to spend your holiday working on part two now aren't you?  ;)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/27/07 at 2:24 pm

How about 'I'm Sorry' by John Denver?  :)

Written By: Henk on 06/27/07 at 2:35 pm

So with Seventeen wrong I can have another go, so:

When ~ Allisons

"When" has just been answered, Philip...sorry.

Still 48 left... ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/27/07 at 2:36 pm

"When" has just been answered, Philip...sorry.

Still 48 left... ::)
Blast!

Written By: Henk on 06/27/07 at 2:38 pm

So Henk, you are going to spend your holiday working on part two now aren't you?  ;)

I don't think so...unless it keeps raining. But that's highly unlikely.

One way or another, you'll have to wait at least two weeks to find out. :P

Subject: Re: Q is for... QuiZtory [48 Remaining | Limit Now 10 | Hints Added]

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/27/07 at 2:38 pm

Has World by The Bee Gees been answered yet?

Written By: Henk on 06/27/07 at 2:47 pm

How about 'I'm Sorry' by John Denver?  :)

That John Denver song didn't make Dutch Top 40 either.

The Brenda Lee song by the same title did, however, and I'd gladly give you a point...but the title isn't in the story. :\'(

You know what? I'll give you a point anyway, 'cause you've actually (accidentally) got it partially right. It should have been "Sorry" (an international hit by Madonna). :)

Written By: Henk on 06/27/07 at 2:47 pm

Has World by The Bee Gees been answered yet?

It has been now! :D

Written By: whistledog on 06/27/07 at 2:51 pm

Oops I didn't even see Sam had alreaddy been answered :-[

Here's too more guesses so I can reach my limit ...

Promises - Take That
Cool - Gwen Stefani

incase you missed these lol

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/27/07 at 2:58 pm

It has been now! :D
Thanks, and makes my limit.

Written By: Henk on 06/27/07 at 3:13 pm

incase you missed these lol

No I haven't - I'm checking to see if they made Top 40. ;)

Written By: Henk on 06/27/07 at 3:24 pm

Oops I didn't even see Sam had alreaddy been answered :-
No I haven't - I'm checking to see if they made Top 40. ;)

Well, "Cool" did make Dutch Top 40 (2005, 2006 and 2007 songs aren't in the book that I use for reference, so I have to look them up elsewhere), but "Promises" didn't. I found out that was a 1991 song; Take That first made Dutch Top 40 in 1993.

"Cool" wasn't on my list (obviously!), so you've earned 3 bonus points. :)

Subject: Re: Q is for... QuiZtory [46 Remaining | Limit Now 10 | Hints Added]

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 06/27/07 at 3:57 pm

Hey again, Henk! Let's see what else I can find here...

-Cyndi Lauper: "What's Going On"
-The Commodores: "Still"
-Depeche Mode: "Somebody"
-Crabby Appleton: "Go Back"
-Take That: "Never Forget"

Subject: Re: Q is for... QuiZtory [46 Remaining | Limit Now 10 | Hints Added]

Written By: Henk on 06/27/07 at 4:09 pm

Hey again, Henk! Let's see what else I can find here...

-Cyndi Lauper: "What's Going On"
-The Commodores: "Still"
-Depeche Mode: "Somebody"
-Crabby Appleton: "Go Back"
-Take That: "Never Forget"

Hello Andrew! :)

Four of those songs were on my list, one wasn't ("Still"), so you've earned 5 points and 3 bonus points. 8)

Subject: Re: Q is for... QuiZtory [42 Remaining | Limit Now 10 | Hints Added]

Written By: whistledog on 06/27/07 at 4:22 pm

"Promises" didn't

With my last one remaining, how's about ...

Everything - Jody Watley

Written By: Henk on 06/27/07 at 4:28 pm

With my last one remaining, how's about ...

Everything - Jody Watley

I think it's only fair to give you the point, although the Jody Watley song didn't even make bubbling under section.

"Everything" is also a song by Mary J. Blige (didn't make Top 40) or Alanis Morissette (didn't make Top 40 either).
Lucky for you, there was also a song by Dutch singer Anouk called Everything, and that one did make Top 40.

O wait - it wasn't on the list, so 3 bonus points as well. ;)

Modified to add:

Forget all that. Patty had already come up with the same answer (albeit the Michael Buble song). Sorry... :-[

Written By: jaytee on 06/28/07 at 2:20 am

Hi Henk

Can't belive I missed "Go Back"  :(

Finally by Ce Ce Peniston

Written By: karen on 06/28/07 at 3:44 am

btw: the Ce Ce Peniston song is still out there (it's not called "Suddenly") ;)

>:(

duff info from one of my sources at work

Written By: Henk on 06/28/07 at 8:51 am

Hi Henk

Can't belive I missed "Go Back"  :(

These things happen...The shorter the song title, the easier you miss them. ;)

Finally by Ce Ce Peniston

That is correct. :)

>:(

duff info from one of my sources at work

Well, this source obviously wasn't well informed. Although I can see how he/she got the two mixed up.

Subject: Re: Q is for... QuiZtory [41 Remaining | Limit Now 10 | Hints Added]

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/28/07 at 10:05 am

I think Billy Joel did a song called "James"

Spice girls - Too much

Subject: Re: Q is for... QuiZtory [41 Remaining | Limit Now 10 | Hints Added]

Written By: Henk on 06/28/07 at 1:13 pm

I think Billy Joel did a song called "James"

You are SO right about that, Patty! :) I'm surprised nobody else had a go with that name.
The song hit #20 in our charts.

Spice girls - Too much

And another one for you. :)

Subject: Re: Q is for... QuiZtory [39 Remaining | Limit OFF | Hints Added]

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/28/07 at 1:23 pm

Trouble ~ Coldplay

Written By: Henk on 06/28/07 at 1:26 pm

Trouble ~ Coldplay

..or Lindsey Buckingham, yes. :)

Didn't Heaven 17 also record a song with the same title? ??? I'm asking, 'cause that one didn't make Dutch charts.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/28/07 at 2:07 pm

..or Lindsey Buckingham, yes. :)

Didn't Heaven 17 also record a song with the same title? ??? I'm asking, 'cause that one didn't make Dutch charts.
Heaven 17 did have a hit with a song called Trouble in 1987, it reached #51 in the UK Charts.

Subject: Re: Q is for... QuiZtory [38 Remaining | Limit OFF | Hints Added]

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/28/07 at 2:08 pm

Question ~ Moody Blues

Written By: Paul on 06/28/07 at 2:29 pm

And a few more...

'Touchy' - A-ha
'Gotta See Jane' - R. Dean Taylor
'Looking For Clues' - Robert Palmer
'Tomorrow' - Sandie Shaw (or Communards)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/28/07 at 2:32 pm

Get Back ~ The Beatles

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/28/07 at 2:48 pm

D-I-V-O-R-C-E by Tammy Wynette?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/28/07 at 2:50 pm

This Time ~ INXS

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/28/07 at 2:55 pm

My Girl-The Temptations

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/28/07 at 2:59 pm

Shout ~ Tears for Fears, also Shout by Lulu

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/28/07 at 4:11 pm

Somewhere by Aretha Franklin?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/28/07 at 4:15 pm

I Promised Myself ~  Nick Kamen

Written By: whistledog on 06/28/07 at 4:24 pm

just a few more lol ...

Alive - Pearl Jam
Think - Aretha Franklin
Talk - Coldplay
Good Stuff - B-52's
The Road - The Alarm
Driving - Everything But the Girl
Lucky - Britney Spears
Picture - Sheryl Crow/Kid Rock
People - The Tymes
Friends - Jody Watley
Never - Heart
Cloud #9 - Bryan Adams (I can't believe I almost missed that one)
Out of the Blue - Debbie Gibson

Written By: Henk on 06/28/07 at 4:37 pm

Heaven 17 did have a hit with a song called Trouble in 1987, it reached #51 in the UK Charts.

Thanks for the info.  :)

Question ~ Moody Blues

Get Back ~ The Beatles

Those two are correct.

This Time ~ INXS

That one didn't make Dutch Top 40, unfortunately. :(

Shout ~ Tears for Fears, also Shout by Lulu

I Promised Myself ~  Nick Kamen

But those two are on the list again, which gives you an additional 4 points. 8)

Written By: Henk on 06/28/07 at 4:39 pm

And a few more...

'Touchy' - A-ha
'Gotta See Jane' - R. Dean Taylor
'Looking For Clues' - Robert Palmer
'Tomorrow' - Sandie Shaw (or Communards)

Another perfect score, Paul. :)

Written By: Henk on 06/28/07 at 4:42 pm

D-I-V-O-R-C-E by Tammy Wynette?

That was indeed the song I was looking for. :) I know it's not literally spelled like that in the story, but you found it anyway.

My Girl-The Temptations

Also correct, Carol.

Written By: Henk on 06/28/07 at 4:47 pm

Somewhere by Aretha Franklin?

Another song title that wasn't on my list, but should have been...It wasn't Aretha Franklin that made Top 40, but PJ Proby did. Don't even know if that's the same song... :-\\ But it's the title that counts. ;) A point and three more bonus points to add to your total.

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/28/07 at 4:54 pm

Why Not Me-Judds

Written By: Henk on 06/28/07 at 5:03 pm

just a few more lol ...

You really wanna win this one, don't you?  ;D

Alive - Pearl Jam

Should've been on my list, but it's not - so a point and three bonus points.

Think - Aretha Franklin

I'm surprised it took people so long...One point.

Talk - Coldplay

A Dutch #1 in late 2005/early 2006, but it somehow missed my list. :-
Good Stuff - B-52's

On the list, so one point.

The Road - The Alarm
Driving - Everything But the Girl

No and no on these two.

Lucky - Britney Spears

Now how did I miss that one?  :-\\ Not on my list, but it should've been. Again, one and three bonus points.

Picture - Sheryl Crow/Kid Rock
People - The Tymes

Two more no's. "People" had already been answered.

Friends - Jody Watley

See "Alive", "Talk" and "Lucky". ;)

Never - Heart

No again.

Cloud #9 - Bryan Adams (I can't believe I almost missed that one)

...and for a good reason. It didn't make Dutch Top 40.

Out of the Blue - Debbie Gibson

Had already been tried & denied.

Written By: Henk on 06/28/07 at 5:05 pm

Why Not Me-Judds

I don't know the answer to that question, Carol - but I do know you're right. :)

Subject: Re: Q is for... QuiZtory [25 Remaining | Limit OFF | Hints Added]

Written By: whistledog on 06/28/07 at 5:41 pm

You really wanna win this one, don't you?  ;D

;D I was thinking about it, so here's more guesses ...

Try - Ian Van Dahl or Nelly Furtado
Start - The Jam
Before - Pet Shop Boys
Straight Ahead - Kool and the Gang
Tears - John Waite

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 06/28/07 at 5:59 pm

Hey again!

-Hazell Dean: "Searching"
-Janet Jackson: "Alright"
-Madonna: "Sorry"
-Backstreet Boys: "The One"
-Foxy Brown: "I'll Be"

And some random guesses...

-"My Friend"
-Shadows of Knight: "Oh Yeah"
-311: "Down"
-The Rascals: "See"
-Brandi Carlisle: "The Story"
-Dave Clark 5: "Because"

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/28/07 at 11:37 pm

Friends ~ Arrival

Written By: Henk on 06/29/07 at 12:51 am

;D I was thinking about it, so here's more guesses ...

Try - Ian Van Dahl or Nelly Furtado
Start - The Jam
Before - Pet Shop Boys
Straight Ahead - Kool and the Gang
Tears - John Waite

Both "Try" and " Straight Ahead" are on the list, the other three aren't (they didn't make Top 40), so only two points for you this time. :P

Written By: Henk on 06/29/07 at 12:57 am

Hey again!

-Hazell Dean: "Searching"
-Janet Jackson: "Alright"
-Madonna: "Sorry"
-Backstreet Boys: "The One"
-Foxy Brown: "I'll Be"

And some random guesses...

-"My Friend"
-Shadows of Knight: "Oh Yeah"
-311: "Down"
-The Rascals: "See"
-Brandi Carlisle: "The Story"
-Dave Clark 5: "Because"

You get three points for "Searching" and "The One", and for "Oh Yeah" as well (that was the Foxy Brown song I was looking for).
An additional two points and six bonus ponts for "I'll Be" (another Foxy Brown song that made Top 40) and "My Friend" (a Top 40 hit by Groove Armada). :)

Note: the Hazell Dean song is actually called "Searchin' (I Gotta Find a Man)", but I hope you can all forgive me for that slip-up. :-[

Written By: Henk on 06/29/07 at 12:58 am

Friends ~ Arrival

"Friends" had already been answered, Philip. :(

Written By: whistledog on 06/29/07 at 1:00 am

"My Friend" (a Top 40 hit by Groove Armada). :)

Dang, I should have known that one :(

Here's a few more guesses from me ...

Life - Haddaway
I'm Gonna Be - Proclaimers (Technically subtitled '500 miles', but hey, it's worth a shot lol)
Remember - BT
Disappear - INXS
Anywhere - Dubstar
Hands - Jewel or Raconteurs

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/29/07 at 1:01 am

Move ~ Moby

Subject: Re: Q is for... QuiZtory [20 Remaining | Limit OFF | Hints Added]

Written By: Tam on 06/29/07 at 1:11 am

Hey again Henk!

I have been reading over and over again trying to find the Madonna song.
WB05 answered but it looks like your reply back was a no, and the only song that could even remotely one by Madonna, is Amazing (closer to the bottom of your story) but I don't know that it ever went that big!

I'll keep reading though! 8)

Forget it. The word you used is amazingLY so it is no good for me! ;D

Written By: Tam on 06/29/07 at 1:13 am

CRAP!!!!!! I have read it so many times!!!

Gravel Pit - Wu-Tang Clan

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/29/07 at 1:22 am

Just A Little ~ Liberty X

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/29/07 at 1:30 am

There is a song Lazy River by Bobby Darin, did that hit the Dutch Charts?

Written By: Tam on 07/12/07 at 5:01 pm

Henk? Where did you go? ???

Written By: whistledog on 07/12/07 at 5:28 pm

Henk? Where did you go? ???

He is on vacation I believe

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/13/07 at 9:06 am

...but it still does not stop us from continuing with the quiz.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/13/07 at 1:29 pm

Secret ~ Madonna

Written By: Henk on 07/13/07 at 3:09 pm

Yes I was...but not so anymore.

Dang, I should have known that one :(

Here's a few more guesses from me ...

Life - Haddaway
I'm Gonna Be - Proclaimers (Technically subtitled '500 miles', but hey, it's worth a shot lol)
Remember - BT
Disappear - INXS
Anywhere - Dubstar
Hands - Jewel or Raconteurs

The only one that's on my list is "Disappear", so you get another point for that song title.
"Life' and "Hands" had already been answered, "Remember" and "Anywhere" didn't even make bubbling under section.
"I'm gonna be" is incorrect, for the very reason you already mentioned.

Written By: Henk on 07/13/07 at 3:14 pm

Move ~ Moby

Still not the Moby song I'm looking for.  :( Although "Move" did hit Dutch Top 40 it doesn't qualify because it has an addition in brackets. (The full title is "Move (You Make Me Feel So Good)" )

Written By: Henk on 07/13/07 at 3:17 pm

CRAP!!!!!! I have read it so many times!!!

Gravel Pit - Wu-Tang Clan

A mystery, unravel it...

...better leave that to your hubby. ;)

Written By: Henk on 07/13/07 at 3:18 pm

Just A Little ~ Liberty X

Secret ~ Madonna

Those two are correct and on my list, Philip. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/13/07 at 3:22 pm

Those two are correct and on my list, Philip. :)
Thanks and great to see you back on the boards again

Written By: Henk on 07/13/07 at 3:28 pm

Thanks and great to see you back on the boards again

Thanks Philip. :) It's good to be back, although I'm sad my holiday is over. :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/13/07 at 3:34 pm

Thanks Philip. :) It's good to be back, although I'm sad my holiday is over. :\'(
That always is the case with an end of a holiday.

Did you realised that this is the Quiz set by a member with the most replies.

Subject: Re: Q is for... QuiZtory [Last Answers Revealed]

Written By: Henk on 07/13/07 at 3:41 pm

I think it's time to reveal the answers you've missed. Most of these songs were no hits in US and/or UK, so you couldn't even have known.

One Word Song Titles By:
Jackyll - Lumberjack
Janet Jackson - Again
Moby - Go
N.E.R.D. or Enrique Iglesias - Maybe
Seether - Broken
T Spoon - Smiling
Ten Sharp - You
U2 - Please

Two Word Song Titles By:
2 Brothers on the 4th Floor - One Day
Elvis Presley - No More
Golden Earring - That Day
Paul McCartney - Coming Up
Rory Block - Lovin' Whiskey
Toy Box - Best Friend

Three Word Song Titles By:
Everly Brothers - I'm Not Angry
Ruth Joy - Don't Push It

Written By: Henk on 07/13/07 at 3:43 pm

That always is the case with an end of a holiday.

Did you realised that this is the Quiz set by a member with the most replies.

I didn't realise that. I suppose this means this quiz was fairly popular then...

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/13/07 at 3:44 pm

I didn't realise that. I suppose this means this quiz was fairly popular then...
It is popular with me, I enjoyed it.

...and you did say the story will continue.

Written By: Henk on 07/13/07 at 3:51 pm

It is popular with me, I enjoyed it.

...and you did say the story will continue.

Indeed I did, and I will keep my promise. I'm as curious as you are to find out what will happen next. ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/13/07 at 4:10 pm

Indeed I did, and I will keep my promise. I'm as curious as you are to find out what will happen next. ;D
Curious and waiting.

On the same lines of this quiz, do you remember during interviews for a World Cup (football) once, the England had an internal competition who could give a song title in a reply to a question?

Written By: Henk on 07/14/07 at 1:48 pm

Curious and waiting.

On the same lines of this quiz, do you remember during interviews for a World Cup (football) once, the England had an internal competition who could give a song title in a reply to a question?

Can't say that I do... :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/14/07 at 1:49 pm

Can't say that I do... :-\\
I see what I can find.

From memory, one football player when asked about the hotel accommodation, he answered "I ain't no Club Tropicana"

Written By: Henk on 01/18/12 at 5:28 am

I didn't realize it had been 4.5 years...but there is a sequel in the making!

Check for new replies or respond here...