inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: TV Theme Song Quiz - Closed

Written By: Mushroom on 06/28/07 at 9:34 pm

OK, let's see how good you all at remembering TV show theme songs.

1.  What TV series ended with My Woman From Tokyo by Deep Purple?
This sitcom was famous for featuring hard rock music
HawkTheSlayer - WKRP in Cincinnati

2.  What TV show had a theme that was entirely insturmental, but the producer made up some words just to get 50% of the song's royalties?
This show is famous for it's fan based "Lives" campaign
RobertK - Star Trek

3.  What is the only TV show to never have a theme song?
whistledog - 60 Minutes

4.  What TV theme song covered topics such as a dead coffee pot, a trans-sexual husband, and a dissapearing psychiatrist?
Windbreaker05 - "Where Everybody Knows Your Name", the theme from Cheers

5.  Among this award winning composer's theme credits are the themes to the NBC Nightly News, NBC Mystery Movie, Tic Tac Dough, and the Viewer Mail segment of "Late Night With David Letterman" when he was on NBC.
Once known as "Mr. Theme", his movie and tv themes are as iconic today as they were 50 years ago.
RobertK - Henry Mancini

6.  What TV show had a ragtime styled song called "Oriental Blues" as it's official theme, but was most well known for the frequent use of a song called "Solfeggio"?
http://www.earthstation1.com/pgs/weirdness/dos-solfeggio.wav.html
Mushroom - The Ernie Kovacks Show

7.  What TV Theme was originally written for a 1971 movie, recycled to a TV theme in 1973, and became a top 10 hit after being played during the 1976 Olympics?
whistledog - Chocolate Dream (from Bless the Beasts and Children), Theme From The Young And The Restless, Nadia's Theme)

8.  What TV series used as it's theme The Eagles' song Journey Of The Sorcerer?
karen - Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

9.  What TV series features a theme song written and sung by Ozzy Ozbourne?
lorac61469 - The Theme to Dog The Bounty Hunter

10.  What TV Theme was written by RuPaul?
It is a recent cartoon
Mushroom - Queer Duck

11.  What musician wrote theme songs for American Bandstand, Band-Aid bandages, and State Farm Insurance?
bookmistress4ever - Barry Manilow

Subject: Re: TV Theme Song Quiz

Written By: whistledog on 06/28/07 at 9:58 pm

3 | 60 Minutes
7 | Nadia's Theme (The Young and the Restless)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/28/07 at 11:38 pm

#11 (pure guess) Gerald Kenny?

Written By: karen on 06/29/07 at 3:34 am

probably not what you were thinking of but

#2 Eastenders

#8 Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 06/29/07 at 4:25 am

4. "Where Everybody Knows Your Name" (from Cheers)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/29/07 at 4:57 am

OK, let's see how good you all at remembering TV show theme songs.

2.  What TV show had a theme that was entirely insturmental, but the producer made up some words just to get 50% of the song's royalties?

probably not what you were thinking of but

#2 Eastenders

If it is, that would have been Simon May, with the single by Anita Dobson (remember her) "Any One Can Fall In Love". By the way, I have the single. Also, Simon May is no relation to Brian May Anita Dobson's husband.

Written By: Mushroom on 06/29/07 at 7:47 am

4. "Where Everybody Knows Your Name" (from Cheers)

Very good.  I see at least one other person has heard the entire song.  Everybody knows the first chorus, which goes:

Making your way in the world today
Takes everything you've got
Taking a break from all your worries
Sure would help a lot
Wouldn't you like to get away

Sometimes you want to go
  Where everybody knows your name
  And they're always glad you came
  You want to be where you can see
  Our troubles are all the same
  You want to be where everybody knows your name

However, most people have not heard the other verses, which get increasingly wierder as you go along:

All those nights when you've got no lights
The check is in the mail
And your little angel
Hung the cat up by its tail
And your third fiancée didn't show

Roll out of bed, Mr. Coffee's dead
The morning's looking bright
And your shrink ran off to Europe
And didn't even write
And your husband wants to be a girl

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/29/07 at 10:08 am

9. this is probably a trick question, but I'll guess The Osbournes (Crazy train but a verrrrry slowed down version)

11. Barry Manilow

Written By: Mushroom on 06/29/07 at 11:41 am

9. this is probably a trick question, but I'll guess The Osbournes (Crazy train but a verrrrry slowed down version)

ON the show it was not sung by Ozzy, but by Pat Boone.  And the song was a cooperative effort between Ozzy, Randy Rhoads and Bob Daisley.

The show in question does not feature Ozzy at all, and the theme was specifically written for the show.

Written By: RobertK on 06/29/07 at 12:56 pm

5.  John Williams

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/29/07 at 2:37 pm

Not positive but I think I've heard somewhere that it's the theme to Dog the Bounty Hunter.  ???

Written By: Mushroom on 06/29/07 at 3:44 pm

Not positive but I think I've heard somewhere that it's the theme to Dog the Bounty Hunter.  ???

Yep, that's it.  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf2hYRmcAPc

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/29/07 at 3:47 pm

I should've known that, as Dog is a local celebrity... ::)

Written By: holicman on 07/01/07 at 7:11 am

Regarding number 3, I am sure Lost has no theme song.

Written By: Mushroom on 07/01/07 at 12:49 pm

Regarding number 3, I am sure Lost has no theme song.

The show has a great number of musical themes.  While it may not have a central "Series Theme", each character has their own theme song.

60 Minutes on the other hand has never had any kind of music, themes or incidental.

Written By: whistledog on 07/01/07 at 1:56 pm

60 Minutes on the other hand has never had any kind of music, themes or incidental.

In a way though, that ticking sound could be considered music.  You can almost tap your foot to it :D

Subject: Re: TV Theme Song Quiz - Clues added

Written By: Mushroom on 07/03/07 at 9:08 am

I am surprised that a few of these have not been answered yet.  It is really funny, because every time I hear My Woman From Tokyo, I instantly think of the TV show that used it.  And it is a show that we have talked about a lot in the 1970's and 1980's boards.

I am not real surprised about #2 having problems, since the words to the theme were never sung.  And the lyrics were really horrible.  Here is the first chorus:

Beyond the rim of the starlight,
my love is wandring in star flight.
I know he'llfind
In star clustered reaches
Love, strange love
A starwoman teaches.

I know that #5 is going to be a "forehead-slapper", because it is a composer that everybody knows of.  And if I mentioned a few of his more famous themes, he would be instantly recognized.

For #6, I added an audio clue, a playing of the song Solfeggio.  Anybody who recognizes this tune will instantly know what show I am talking about, because this is the most iconic song from it.

Written By: karen on 07/03/07 at 9:59 am

#5 Well here in the UK Mr Theme would be Tony Hatch.  Maybe he also did stuff in the US?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/07 at 5:19 pm

Could #5 be the film composer John Williams?

Written By: RobertK on 07/04/07 at 10:40 am

I had previously guessed #5 was John Williams because I know in 1985 he composed "The Mission" for the NBC News theme which was introduced with great fanfare (no pun intended ;)) on the NBC Nightly News.  If its not John Williams, I would say Henry Mancini?

Based on the "lyrics" for #2, I'd say the was Gene Roddenberry and "Star Trek".  And I am imagining Shatner giving them a go.  The horror... the horror.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/07 at 10:42 am

I had previously guessed #5 was John Williams because I know in 1985 he composed "The Mission" for the NBC News theme which was introduced with great fanfare (no pun intended ;)) on the NBC Nightly News.  If its not John Williams, I would say Henry Mancini?
I am here to confirm it for you.

Written By: Mushroom on 07/05/07 at 1:49 am

Based on the "lyrics" for #2, I'd say the was Gene Roddenberry and "Star Trek".  And I am imagining Shatner giving them a go.  The horror... the horror.

Very good, both are correct.

Henry Mancini wrote a great many themes, including Peter Gunn, Pink Panther, and such songs as Moon River and Baby Elephant Walk.

Gene Roddenberry decided that he wanted half of the royalties to the theme to Star Trek, so he wrote lyirics (without permission of the composer Alexander Courage).  It was never officially recorded that way, but Nichelle Nichols did sing it in a Disco version of the theme in the 1970's.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 07/05/07 at 2:21 pm

#1- WKRP In Cincinnati

Written By: Mushroom on 07/05/07 at 3:25 pm

#1- WKRP In Cincinnati

I also found out that this was not entirely correct.  While Deep Purple was used during the initial release, it was replaced during the first season by a song that was then used for the rest of the series run.  It was retroactively replaced in the earlier episodes when it went into syndication.

The song which became known as WKRP In Cincinnati End Credits was a similar sounding song, with nonsensical lyrics.

Subject: Re: TV Theme Song Quiz - Clues added 2 remaining

Written By: Mushroom on 07/12/07 at 9:14 pm

This should finally give the answers away, but at least somebody will have gotten them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoLTFQsFswM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avlO1Qb-4Fs

Subject: Re: TV Theme Song Quiz - Closed

Written By: Mushroom on 07/21/07 at 10:30 am

Another one closed tue to lack of interest, thanks to everybody who played.

Written By: karen on 07/23/07 at 8:35 am

Another one closed tue to lack of interest, thanks to everybody who played.

It's never lack of interest.  Sometimes quizzes are ones where you know the answer or you don't.  Everyone supplied the answers they knew and apparently the clues didn't help.  It doesn't mean that people aren't interested though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/23/07 at 10:01 am

It's never lack of interest.  Sometimes quizzes are ones where you know the answer or you don't.  Everyone supplied the answers they knew and apparently the clues didn't help.  It doesn't mean that people aren't interested though.
...and when you are not allowed to cheat by using Google the quizzes are harder.

Check for new replies or respond here...