inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A Canada Day Quiz <Game Over>

Written By: whistledog on 07/02/07 at 8:41 pm

I had made this yesterday, but It slipped my mind, so In Celebration of Canada Day (1 day late), here is a 20 question Multiple Choice quiz about Canadians in various forms of media and entertainment.  I hope you enjoy! :)

CF = 2 | Henk = 3 | karen = 1 | Luke = 1 | Paul = 1 | Philip Eno = 2 | Tam = 1

01 | Which one of the following songs was NOT written by a Canadian?
a | Until it's Time For You to Go - Elvis Presley
b | Conquistador - Procol Harum Philip Eno
c | Rhythm of My Heart - Rod Stewart
d | Born to Wander - Rare Earth
e | Pieces of Ice - Diana Ross

NOTES:  Conquistador was not written by a Canadian, but here's an interesting fact ... Procol Harum are (of course) a British Band, but on this song they qualified under CANCON as a Canadian Artist because they recorded it in Alberta with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra.
'Until It's Time For You To Go' was written by Buffy Saint-Marie.  'Born to Wander' was written by Tom Baird.  Both 'Rhythm of My Heart' and 'Pieces of Ice' were written by Marc Jordan/John Capek

02 | Which one of the following TV shows is NOT Canadian?
a | La Femme Nikita
b | Degrassi High
c | 21 Jump Street Luke
d | Danger Bay
e | The Kids in the Hall

NOTES: Though '21 Jump Street' was filmed in Canada, it was produced and funded by an American production company

03 | Which one of these Canadian singers scored 3 different #1 hits in Canada as member of a band, as a solo artist, and as a songwriter for another artist?
a | Paul Anka
b | Nick Gilder Henk
c | Bryan Adams
d | Randy Bachman
e | Neil Young

NOTES:  As lead singer of Sweeney Todd, Nick Gilder hit #1 in 1976 with "Roxy Roller".  As a solo artist, he hit #1 in 1978 with "Hot Child in the City" and as a songwriter, Scandal and Patty Smyth took his song "The Warrior" (which he co-write with Holly Knight) to #1 in 1984

04 | Which American NHL Hockey team currently has more Canadian players than any other American team?
a | Anaheim Mighty Ducks
b | New York Islanders
c | Chicago Blackhawks
d | New Jersey Devils
e | Florida Panthers

05 | Steppenwolf formed out of what Canadian band?
a | The Red Robins
b | The Sparrows CF
c | The Guess Who
d | Mashmakhan

NOTES: Originally known as Jack London and the Sparrows, before becoming The Sparrows, then Sparrow, they had several hits in Canada before relocating to the United States.  Since Steppenwolf was formed while they were living in the States, they did not qualify under CANCON as a Canadian band, despite all the key members being Canadian.  Lead singer John Kay has a star on Canada's Walk of Fame

06 | Who was the first ever Game Show host to emcee shows simultaneously in both Canada and the United States?
a | Alex Trebek
b | Jim Perry
c | Geoff Edwards
d | Howie Mandel

07 | Which of the following is false about Alan Thicke?
a | He sang the theme to the sitcom 'Diff'rent Strokes'
b | He has a son who is a singer
c | He hosted a game show and a talk show in both the United States and Canada
d | He sang the theme song to 'Growing Pains' Henk

NOTES: B.J. Thomas sang the theme to 'Growing Pains', a sitcom which Thicke stared in.  Thicke co-wrote and sang the theme song to Diff'rent Strokes.  He also co-wrote the theme to the spin-off series 'The Facts of Life' which was sung by his then wife Gloria Loring.  His son Robin Thicke is a singer.  In Canada, he hosted the game show 'Face the Music' and had his own successful talk show titled 'The Alan Thicke Show'.  In 1983, he hosted an American talk show called "Thicke of the Night" which ran opposite The Tonight Show (which means it was short lived yes) and he also hosted the US game shows 'Pictionary' and 'The All-New 3's A Crowd"

08 | Producer and singer/songwriter David Foster won his first ever Grammy Award for which song?
a | Hard to Say I'm Sorry - Chicago
b | St. Elmo's Fire (Man in Motion) - John Parr
c | After the Love Has Gone - Earth, Wind and Fire
d | I Have Nothing - Whitney Houston

09 | Comedian Howie Mandel made his TV debut on what show?
a | The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson
b | Bizarre
c | Late Night with David Letterman
d | The Merv Griffin Show

10 | Who was the first ever American born actor to be inducted into Canada's Walk of Fame?
a | Brendan Fraser
b | Robert Goulet
c | Matthew Perry
d | Joe Flaherty

11 | Which one of the following was NOT invented by a Canadian?
a | Zipper
b | Alkaline Battery
c | Time Zones
d | Two-Way Radio
e | Liquid Paper Karen

NOTES: Liquid Paper was invented by American Bette Nesmith Graham, the mother of Monkee Michael Nesmith

12 | Which TV show does NOT feature a Canadian actor or actress as one of the regular cast members?
a | Maude
b | Spin City
c | NewsRadio
d | How I Met Your Mother
e | Bosom Buddies

13 | Which of the following is false about Bryan Adams?
a | His 1991 album 'Waking Up the Neighbours' didn't qualify as Canadian content
b | He was born in British Columbia Tam
c | He had a cameo role in a Clint Eastwood movie
d | He co-wrote two songs about the tragic story of Dorothy Stratten

NOTES: He was born in Kingston, Ontario but raised in British Columbia

14 | Which one of the following actors is a Naturalized Canadian?
a | Keanu Reeves CF
b | Kiefer Sutherland
c | Matthew Perry
d | Brendan Fraser

NOTES: Sutherland, Perry and Fraser were all born into Canadian citizenship due to one of their parents being Canadian.  Keanu was born in Lebanon, but moved with his family to Canada when he was young.  While living here, he became a Canadian Citizen.  All 4 actors have dual US/Canadian citizenship

15 | Which of these comics was NOT created or co-created by a Canadian?
a | For Better or For Worse
b | Superman
c | Spawn
d | Wizard of Id Philip Eno

NOTES:  'Wizard of Id' was created by American cartoonists Brant Parker and Johnny Hart
'For Better or For Worse' was created by Lynn Johnston and is Canada's most famous daily comic strip.  'Superman' was co-created by Joe Shuster and 'Spawn' was created by Todd McFarlene, the latter who (prior to doing this quiz) I had no idea was Canadian lol

16 | What was the first ever Canadian TV show to air in prime time in the United States?
a | Night Heat
b | Due South
c | Degrassi High
d | The Kids in the Hall

17 | Which of these internationally known Canadian songs was NOT a Top 40 hit in Canada?
a | Sometimes When We Touch - Dan Hill
b | From New York to LA - Patsy Gallant
c | Living on Video - Trans X Henk
d | Everything I Do (I Do it For You) - Bryan Adams
e | I Beg Your Pardon - Kon Kan

Trans-X had no Top 40 hits in Canada, though the song 'Living on Video' and it's original 1983 French version 'Vivre Sur Video' were popular in Quebec, and within the Canadian dance chart

18 | Internationally, what is the highest grossing Canadian motion picture of all time?
a | Iron Eagle II
b | Porky's
c | My Big Fat Greek Wedding
d | Prom Night
e | The Care Bears Movie

19 | Former 'Band' member Robbie Robertson has frequently worked as a film composer for what director?
a | Steven Spielberg
b | Martin Scorsese
c | Ivan Reitman
d | Richard Donner

20 | Canadian pianist Frank Mills started his music career as the keyboardist for what Canadian band?
a | Steppenwolf
b | The Bells Paul
c | Lighthouse
d | The Stampeders
e | The Irish Rovers

NOTES:  Frank Mills was keyboardist for The Bells from 1969-1971.  He played on some of their biggest known hits including 'Fly Little White Dove Fly' and 'Stay Awhile'.  As a solo artist, his first ever single 'Love Me Love Me Love' in 1972 was his only hit song where he sang.  It was also his first of only 3 hits in America, and also his only #1 single in Canada

Subject: Re: A Canada Day Quiz

Written By: karen on 07/03/07 at 3:28 am

I'll take a guess at one

#11 e liquid paper

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/03/07 at 4:11 am

A couple of guesses:

2. c

3. e

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/07 at 5:08 am

Pure guesses.

#11. c

#17. d

Written By: whistledog on 07/03/07 at 11:32 am

I'll take a guess at one

#11 e liquid paper

That would be correct!
A couple of guesses:

2. c

3. e

#2 is correct :)  #3 is not :(

Good guesses :)

Pure guesses.

#11. c

#17. d

Unfortunately karen beat you to #11, and #17 is incorrect.  Good guesses though :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/03/07 at 11:39 am

Here are a couple of guesses from me...

5. b
14. a

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/07 at 11:40 am

#3. c

Written By: whistledog on 07/03/07 at 11:41 am

5. b

A correct answer Karen :)

#3. c

Sorry Phil :(  Try again :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/03/07 at 11:44 am

A correct answer Karen :)

Yay!  :)

BTW, I edited my post to add one more guess...

Written By: whistledog on 07/03/07 at 11:46 am

Yay!  :)

BTW, I edited my post to add one more guess...

And a correct guess it would be :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/07 at 11:46 am

I could go on at this guessing all night.

#1. b

Written By: whistledog on 07/03/07 at 11:54 am

I could go on at this guessing all night.

#1. b

You could yes lol I made the quiz multiple choice as a ajority of these questions are mostly U.S. based trivia

Your answer is correct!  One to go :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/07 at 11:56 am

You could yes lol I made the quiz multiple choice as a ajority of these questions are mostly U.S. based trivia

Your answer is correct!  One to go :)
Whoo-Hoo!!!!

#15. d

Written By: whistledog on 07/03/07 at 12:01 pm

Whoo-Hoo!!!!

#15. d

No more guesses for you.  You just got 2 for 2 :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/07 at 12:03 pm

No more guesses for you.  You just got 2 for 2 :)
Thanks, both were intelligent guesses, I always thought that Procol Harum were British and you never know with the Wizard of Oz.

Written By: Tam on 07/13/07 at 2:41 pm

Good idea Jason!

13. b

more to come but I had to get that one first! lol ;)

Written By: whistledog on 07/13/07 at 3:57 pm

Good idea Jason!

13. b

more to come but I had to get that one first! lol ;)

That would be correct 8)

Written By: Tam on 07/17/07 at 9:00 pm

8. b?

Written By: whistledog on 07/17/07 at 10:49 pm

8. b?

It's not b on that one no, guess again :)

A little trivia on that answer .. Foster originally wrote 'Man in Motion' for Rick Hansen, who was on his Man in Motion tour at the time.  John Parr added additional lyrics and it became the title track to the film 'St. Elmo's Fire'

Subject: Re: A Canada Day Quiz <Limit Removed>

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/18/07 at 1:58 pm

3. d

8. a ?

Written By: whistledog on 07/18/07 at 9:24 pm

3. d

8. a ?

no to both unfortunately :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/07 at 2:09 am

#20. e

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/19/07 at 12:17 pm

I'll try again...

3. a
8. b

???

Written By: whistledog on 07/19/07 at 1:10 pm

#20. e

I'll try again...

3. a
8. b

???

No to all I am afraid :( but good tries though :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/07 at 1:12 pm

No to all I am afraid :( but good tries though :)
Rats!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/19/07 at 1:59 pm

Rats!

These are tougher than I thought!  :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/07 at 2:00 pm

These are tougher than I thought!  :-\\
completely!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/07 at 2:00 pm

#20. a

Written By: Henk on 07/19/07 at 3:25 pm

Well, if #3 isn't a, c, d or e...it has to be b. ;D

Here's some more:

#7: d?

#17: c (fer sure!)

#18: c?

Written By: whistledog on 07/19/07 at 4:10 pm

When I composed this quiz, I knew they would be a challenge.  Originally I was gonna make them Q&A, but I Thought multiple choice would be more fair

#20. a

Sorry, nope :(

Well, if #3 isn't a, c, d or e...it has to be b. ;D

Here's some more:

#7: d?

#17: c (fer sure!)

#18: c?

All correct except for #18

Written By: Henk on 07/19/07 at 4:29 pm

All correct except for #18

Cool!. :)

I knew Alan Thicke had a son - the guy scored a #3 hit over here in 2003! - and I knew Alan played in "Growing Pains", but that was were my knowledge ended. So I took a guess.

Written By: Paul on 07/20/07 at 6:22 pm

#20. b

I'm not sure if he played on 'Stay Awhile'...

Written By: whistledog on 07/20/07 at 11:25 pm

#20. b

I'm not sure if he played on 'Stay Awhile'...

B is correct.  Frank Mills was the keyboardist for the Bells from 1969-1971.  He left the group while 'Stay Awhile' was in the charts, which is ironic as he chose not to stay awhile with the Bells lol

Written By: whistledog on 07/20/07 at 11:54 pm

Here are the remaining answers.  Thanks everyone for playing! :)

4 | The Anaheim Mighty Ducks currently have 15 players who are Canadian.  Many joke that their recent Stanley Cup win was also a win for Canada LOL

6 | All 4 hosts have accomplished this feat, but Jim Perry became the first in 1978 as host of the US game show 'Card Sharks' and the Canadian Game Shows 'Headline Hunters' and 'Definition'.  Alex Trebek was 2nd in 1981 hosting 'Pitfall' in Canada and 'Battlestars' in America.  Geoff Edwards was third in 1989 hosting 'Jackpot!' in America and 'The New Chain Reaction' in Canada.  Howie Mandel became the fourth, as host of both the US and Canadian versions of 'Deal or No Deal'

8 | David Foster penned 'After the Love Has Gone' for EWF in 1979, and earned his first of many Grammy Awards in his long and prolific career

9 | Howie Mandel made his TV debut on the Canadian produced sketch comedy series Bizarre.  Though Bizarre was a Canadian show, it's host Jon Byner and producer Bob Einstein (who also played Super Dave Osborne) are both American

10 | Brendan Fraser was the first ever American actor to be given his own star on Canada's Walk of Fame.  He currently does not have a star on Holywood's Walk of Fame

12 | Bosom Buddies starred no Canadian actors.  'Maude' co-starred Conrad Bain.  'Spin City' starred Michael J. Fox. 'NewsRadio' starred Dave Foley and Phil Hartman; current CBS sitcom 'How I Met Your Mother' stars Cobie Smulders.  All Canadian actors

16 | Night Heat, often known as Canada's Miami Vice was the first ever Canadian series to be aired on a major US network.  It ran from 1985-1991 and aired on CBS in a late night block of programming.  'Due South', a dramatic action series about a Canadian mountie working in Chicago which ran from 1994-1999 was the first ever Canadian series to air in Prime Time on a major US network (CBS).  Due South also aired in the UK on BBC2

18 | Porky's, a 1981 sex comedy was an American film funded by a Canadian production company and filmed in Canada (and also starred then unknown Canadian actress Kim Cattrall).  It set records for the highest grossing Canadian film of all time.  In 2006, a film titled 'Bon Cop / Bad Cop' starring Colm Feore shattered Porky's box-office intake to become the new champion for highest grossing Canadian film of all time, but due to inflation, the amount of money Porky's has grossed as of 2006 in domestic dollars surpases the total gross for 'Bon Cop / Bad Cop'

19 | Robbie Robertson worked with Martin Scorsese on 6 of his films.  The two first met when Scorsese directed the film 'The Last Waltz', a documentary of the farewell concert from The Band

Subject: Re: A Canada Day Quiz <Game Over>

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/21/07 at 7:43 am

Even with the answers there, it was still hard!

Check for new replies or respond here...