inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Music in Movie Scenes- 3 LEFT- NOW HINTS

Written By: KKay on 08/11/07 at 11:22 am

I give you a description of the scene, and a list of titles.  You get a point each time you match the scene with the song and then name the film.
Limit 2 to begin.

(there are tons of these to do..if someone wants to make another one of these, it would be great!)

Scene List:

1. “The burial will be at Westglade Memorial Park.  There will be a reception at the home of Harold and Sarah Cooper immediately following.  And now Karen Bowens, an old college friend of Alex’s, will play one of Alex’s favorite songs.”  The Big Chill with You Can't Always Get What You Want by Rolling Stones  Gaylon

2. A young teenage couple finds love on Halloween, 1988.  Too bad Frank went out for beer because that could mess up the whole space-time-continuum thing.  Under the Milky Way by The church  nicki_morrissey

3. Everything comes to a stop as estranged siblings are reunited at the bus depot. Only a song this great could make incest (well, kind of)  seem sweet.
  These Days by Nico - The Royal Tenenbaums  Theresehgoes

4.  Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage.
Lust For Life - Iggy Pop - Trainspotting    Maddog

5. We'll never know what Bob whispers to Charlotte in that little street in Tokyo.
  Just Like Honey By The Jesus and Mary Chain - Lost in Translation  Thereshegoes

6. Michael Bolton's revenge on his “little going away present”. Still by Geto Boys nicki_morrissey

7. While the FBI agent searches through microfiche files, a man and his pooch prepare for some cross-dressing and disco dancing.
    Maybe some entomology, too.  #7 - Goodbye Horses by Q. Lazzarus - Silence of the Lambs  thereshegoes

8. Our hero steps out of the bar wearing a biker’s outfit and straddles a motorcycle.  Cue the swiping of the sunglasses.
Terminator 2: Judgment Day ~ Bad to the Bone by George Throrogood  Badfinger-fan

9. Eddie thinks he is making the score of his life, but the deal goes bad.  Firecrackers, crying…
    He should have stayed in front of the camera.

10. This whole scene has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the axe-swinging segment a big boost. But I don't listen to them anymore.  They're too "black" for me. 
10. American Psycho? "Hip To Be Square"- Huey Lewis and The News  Nicki_Morrissey

11. It’s a good song- but when duty calls, you can’t dance with your ex-girlfriend.  Toss her a pool cue and get to work on saving the day.  Besides- the gun’s not real, remember?  Or is it?  You may have to use it on your own mum!

12. Nothing can stop a great, classic guitar solo. Not death, not fire alarms, not sprinklers, not a mass of crying, screaming people.  (yet another funeral!)

13. Everyone is sad and everyone seems to know the words to the song.  Even Tom Cruise.
#13 - Wise Up by Aimee Mann - Magnolia  thereshegoes

14. Classic travelogue: a green field of palm trees disintegrating into flames under a rush of napalm, while a young captain lies in his overheated hotel room, staring blankly at the ceiling.  The End by The Doors - Apocalypse Now  Badfinger-fan

15. The aging hipster, prompted by her friend’s new romance, waxes nostalgic about her own prom days, raving about her butt and wondering, “Why can’t we start old and get younger?”  The Association sing Cherish    lorac61469

16. All he wanted to do was have sex- but he fell in love.  And the people at the frame store did NOT laugh at him.  Good thing he only rides a bike; going thru that billboard in a car would have been lots worse.
#16 - Heat of the Moment by Asia - The 40Year Old Virgin  thereshegoes

Song Titles: (hint- there is one extra)
Cherish by The Association
You Can’t Always Get What You Want by The Rolling Stones
Freebird by Lynyrd Skynrd
These Days by Nico
Lust for Life by Iggy Pop
Hip To Be Square by Huey Lewis and The News
Bad to the Bone by George Throrogood
Jesse’s Girl by Rick Springfeild
The End by The Doors
Layla by Derek and The Dominoes
Don’t Stop Me Now by Queen
Still by Geto Boys
Wise Up by Aimee Mann
Goodbye Horses by Q. Lazzarus
Under the Milky Way by The Church
Just Like Honey by The Jesus and Mary Chain
Heat of the Moment by Asia

Subject: Re: Music in Movie Scenes- Limit 2

Written By: Gaylon on 08/11/07 at 1:14 pm

1. The Big Chill - You Can't Always Get What You Want

Written By: KKay on 08/11/07 at 1:17 pm

1. The Big Chill - You Can't Always Get What You Want

You got it- nice. 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/11/07 at 3:42 pm

The End by The Doors - Apocalypse Now

Written By: KKay on 08/11/07 at 3:48 pm

The End by The Doors - Apocalypse Now

and that is how the game is played. :)

Written By: maddog on 08/11/07 at 4:40 pm

#4 Lust For Life - Iggy Pop - Trainspotting

Written By: thereshegoes on 08/11/07 at 5:06 pm

Great quiz,K  8)

#5 Just Like Honey By The Jesus and Mary Chain - Lost in Translation

#3 These Days by Nico - The Royal Tenenbaums

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/12/07 at 2:31 am

#8. Terminator 2: Judgment Day ~ Bad to the Bone by George Throrogood

this would be my Governor>  Our hero steps out of the bar wearing a biker’s outfit and straddles a motorcycle.  Cue the swiping of the sunglasses

Written By: KKay on 08/12/07 at 8:50 am

right right right

Subject: Re: Music in Movie Scenes- NO Limit

Written By: thereshegoes on 08/15/07 at 7:27 pm

I'll go again,cause this is fun!

#7 - Goodbye Horses by Q. Lazzarus - Silence of the Lambs
#13 - Wise Up by Aimee Mann - Magnolia
#16 - Heat of the Moment by Asia - The 40Year Old Virgin

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/15/07 at 8:50 pm

It's probably not right because my brain is toast tonight, but I'll try one:

9.  On the dark side - John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band
from the film Eddie And The Cruisers
  Nevermind about this guess, I just saw the list of song choice at the end of your post.  duh!  ;D

Let me try

#2. Hip To Be Square by Huey Lewis and The News from Back to the Future (Awesome movie - one of my favorites)

#15. Cherish by The Association - Kathleen Turner from Peggy Sue got married

Good quiz, pretty tough!  Me likey.  :)

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 08/16/07 at 5:20 am

Holy snap, what a great idea!

2. Donnie Darko (what a great film). "Under The Milky Way"- The Church (what a great song!)
6. Office Space. "Still"- Geto Boys

Written By: KKay on 08/16/07 at 7:01 am

#2. Hip To Be Square by Huey Lewis and The News from Back to the Future (Awesome movie - one of my favorites)

#15. Cherish by The Association - Kathleen Turner from Peggy Sue got married

im glad you like it; but i'm afraid your two answers are wrong.  #2- right song, but wrong movie (see descriptions) and #15 is a different movie too. 

Holy snap, what a great idea!

2. Donnie Darko (what a great film). "Under The Milky Way"- The Church (what a great song!)
6. Office Space. "Still"- Geto Boys

THAT's right.  Glad you knew who Michael Bolton was.

Written By: lorac61469 on 08/16/07 at 11:51 am

Is #15 Cherish by The Association-Pretty In Pink

Written By: KKay on 08/16/07 at 3:24 pm

Is #15 Cherish by The Association-Pretty In Pink

yes it is!

thereshegoes is in the lead with 3!

Subject: Re: Music in Movie Scenes- NO Limit- NOW HINTS

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 08/19/07 at 12:13 am

10. American Psycho? "Hip To Be Square"- Huey Lewis and The News

Subject: Re: Music in Movie Scenes- NO Limit- NOW HINTS

Written By: KKay on 08/19/07 at 8:52 am

10. American Psycho? "Hip To Be Square"- Huey Lewis and The News

YES!  Thanks for recognising his little speech about Lewis and the News- I added the part about the ax.

Check for new replies or respond here...