inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1980's 3-Word Lyrics Quiz! (NO LIMIT!)

Written By: Doc Brown on 09/09/07 at 6:17 pm

OK, CF made a good 2-word quiz, but I decided to go 1 better, as it were. ;)
See what you guys can do when you only have 3 words! Just to be helpful, no one here is a 1-hit-wonder.
BTW, the limit (now lifted)was, of course, 3. Good luck!

1. One that won't make me crash my car, or make me feel three feet thick.
loki - Huey Lewis & The News, "I Want A New Drug"

2. And if love was just a circus, you'd be a clown by now
Henk - Elton John, "I'm Still Standing"

3. wheels keep turning...Something's burning...
nally - Peter Gabriel, "Shock The Monkey"

4. want to shine (1987)

5. is anybody listening?  Oh, oh, oh-oh.
ladybug - Genesis, "No Reply At All"

6. dreams are made (1985)
(Henk guessed "Sweet Dreams" by the Eurythmics, but that wasn't the answer I had in mind. I gave him half a point, but so everyone knows, none of these three word clues include the song title, that'd be a dead giveaway!)

7. brave carry on (1985)

8. No one looked, I walked by, just an invitation would've been just fine.
loki - Stevie Nicks, "Stand Back"

9. my senseless goodbye (1985)

10. When you flash that fragile smile
WD - The Cars, "You Might Think"

11. All along, I've toed the line. To err is human, forgive is divine
breaker - Eddie Money, "Walk On Water"

12. The traffic roars, the sirens scream
WD - Glenn Frey, "You Belong To The City"

13. under the water, carry the water.
ladybug - Talking Heads, "Once In A Lifetime"

14. a fallen glass (1987)

15. Rock & Roll just used to be for kicks, but nowadays it's politics
loki - Billy Joel, "Modern Woman"

Score: WD - 2, loki - 3, Henk - 1.5 ;), ladybug - 2, breaker - 1, nally - 1.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Subject: Re: 1980's 3-Word Lyrics Quiz!

Written By: whistledog on 09/09/07 at 6:25 pm

10 | You Might Think - The Cars
12 | You Belong to the City - Glenn Frey

Written By: loki 13 on 09/09/07 at 7:00 pm

#15...Modern Woman....Billy Joel?

Written By: snozberries on 09/09/07 at 10:30 pm

3. proud mary

Written By: Henk on 09/10/07 at 12:17 am

Hi Doc! :) Nice quiz...here's two from me:

#2: clown by now....I'm Still Standing - Elton John

#6: dreams are made....Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) - Eurythmics

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/10/07 at 6:40 am

What's Up Doc?

I'm going to take a stab...

I think #5 might be "No Reply" by Genesis

& #13 might be "Once In A Lifetime" by Talking Heads

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 09/10/07 at 10:34 am

11. Walk on Water - Eddie Money

Written By: nally on 09/10/07 at 10:56 am

I know what number 3 is! "Shock The Monkey" by Peter Gabriel!

I wanted to participate in the previous one, but when I finally got to it, all the ones I knew were taken. :-\\ Thank goodness I was able to grab one here. 8)

Written By: Henk on 09/10/07 at 1:54 pm

6. dreams are made (Sorry Henk, but we have no partial titles on the list.)

Sorry Doc...I don't see how you can disqualify my answer. It IS a correct answer, you know...You just should've checked for possible doublures before posting this quiz, and not make up "new rules" as you find suitable along the way.

Written By: nally on 09/10/07 at 1:54 pm

Sorry Doc...I don't see how you can disqualify my answer. It IS a correct answer, you know...You just should've checked for possible doublures before posting this quiz, and not make up "new rules" as you find suitable along the way.

In his defense, he doesn't wanna make it "too obvious" (using part of a song's title as a dead giveaway).

Written By: Henk on 09/10/07 at 2:11 pm

In his defense, he doesn't wanna make it "too obvious" (using part of a song's title as a dead giveaway).

I wasn't asking you.

Written By: nally on 09/10/07 at 2:13 pm

I wasn't asking you.

I was just trying to be of help, that's all :-\\ :-[

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 09/10/07 at 2:14 pm

It wasn't the song he had in mind. It's just a quiz. We all recognize that your answer is appropriate, but he'd prefer the other, so that's that and the question is still open. There's no prize for most right or anything of that sort, so kudos to you for your answer, but I'd recommend letting it go...

... and yes, I know you weren't asking me, either, but if you don't want the public to comment, I would recommend a private message next time, as this is a public discussion forum.

Written By: Henk on 09/10/07 at 2:27 pm

I was just trying to be of help, that's all :-\\ :-
It wasn't the song he had in mind. It's just a quiz. We all recognize that your answer is appropriate, but he'd prefer the other, so that's that and the question is still open. There's no prize for most right or anything of that sort, so kudos to you for your answer, but I'd recommend letting it go...

... and yes, I know you weren't asking me, either, but if you don't want the public to comment, I would recommend a private message next time, as this is a public discussion forum.

You now what the point is? I've never had a CORRECT answer disqualified. NEVER. If it's not the answer Doc had in mind, that's his problem.
It meets all criteria Doc stated in his original post. Doc is the only person I know on this board to disqualify a perfectly correct answer. That's what annoys me.
In short: if you post a quiz, be sure there's just one answer to every question, or face the consequences.

Written By: Doc Brown on 09/10/07 at 4:09 pm

You now what the point is? I've never had a CORRECT answer disqualified. NEVER. If it's not the answer Doc had in mind, that's his problem.
It meets all criteria Doc stated in his original post. Doc is the only person I know on this board to disqualify a perfectly correct answer. That's what annoys me.
In short: if you post a quiz, be sure there's just one answer to every question, or face the consequences.

All right, Henk, take it easy! :o I'll give you half credit, OK?
JFTR, I have had correct answers not counted, Once on Tanya's CryptiQuiz, the song answer was "Holiday", but she wouldn't accept my posting that it was recorded by Jimmy Buffett(Meet Me In Margaritaville, Disc 1,Track 4). But she replied to me that she was "only looking for the Madonna song"! (Another reason for me to H8 Madge, Esther, whoever she is now.  >:( )
So it HAS happened. But to be fair I'll throw Henk half a point for a good guess.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: Henk on 09/10/07 at 4:32 pm

All right, Henk, take it easy! :o I'll give you half credit, OK?

It's okay Doc...I've calmed down. 8) Thank you for your generosity. :)
I don't know what came over me...I usually don't get annoyed that easy. :-\\ :-

JFTR, I have had correct answers not counted, Once on Tanya's CryptiQuiz, the song answer was "Holiday", but she wouldn't accept my posting that it was recorded by Jimmy Buffett(Meet Me In Margaritaville, Disc 1,Track 4). But she replied to me that she was "only looking for the Madonna song"! (Another reason for me to H8 Madge, Esther, whoever she is now.  >:( )
So it HAS happened. But to be fair I'll throw Henk half a point for a good guess.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

I would've given you the point regardless. I mean, it's the song title that counts with the CryptiQuizzes IMHO. It's impossible to tell which artist they're after (unless it's a unique song title). And for the record: songs titled "Holiday" have been performed by a plethora of artists, including the Bee Gees and Nazareth... ;)

Written By: Step-chan on 09/10/07 at 5:34 pm

Funny, that was my guess too(when I first saw it).

I had no idea what song he has in mind, so I tried to look it up... Just to see if more than one response would pop up. The most common response(all of the first page on google) had Sweet Dreams(Are made of these). So it must be a more obscure song that he has in mind.

Written By: maddog on 09/11/07 at 8:29 am

Hi Doc

#6 "The Things That Dreams Are Made Of" by The Human League ???

I think I'm probably wrong because this is another song where the 3 words in the clue also appear in the title, so you probably wouldn't have chosen those three words but you never know.... ;)

Subject: Re: 1980's 3-Word Lyrics Quiz! (Clues Added!)

Written By: Doc Brown on 09/17/07 at 11:04 am

Hey, where'd everybody go? Come on, the quiz is only half-done, And I'd like to post another soon. But not until we're through here, so let's hurry it up, huh?

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Subject: Re: 1980's 3-Word Lyrics Quiz! (Clues Added!)

Written By: loki 13 on 09/18/07 at 4:49 pm

I don't know how I missed these.  :-[

#1...I Want a New Drug....Huey Lewis And The News?

#8...Stand Back....Stevie Nicks?

Check for new replies or respond here...