inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Harry Potter and the Seven-Book Quiz! (KEEP OUT if you missed "Deathly Hallows")

Written By: Doc Brown on 12/20/07 at 3:14 pm

I thought Cat would've followed up her quiz by now, but I guess she went back and read ALL the books again!
Well at least she can play, because I've come up with 25 Questions which cover the entire saga, and there's plenty of opportunities to score extra points for your house. BTW, the final 5 questions pertain directly to the final book, so if you haven't finished it, Stay Away!
No using any dark magic, Limit's Now LEVITATED, and this might not be the end of the HP quizzes. Good luck everyone!

1. What is the motto(in English) of Hogwart's?
snoz - "Never Tickle A Sleeping Dragon" (Who wrote that motto? Some ancestor of Hagrid's? ;))

2. What were the nicknames of the Marauders? (extra pts if you remember who's who!)
snoz - Messers Mooney(Lupin), Wormtail(Pettigrew), Padfoot(Black), & Prongs(Potter)

3. In what town was the Potter home located?
snoz - Godric's Hollow

4. Where did the portkey in the Triwizard cup lead?
Cat - The Little Hangleton graveyard

5. What two substances are able to destroy Horcuxes?
loki - Basilisk Venom & Fiendfyre

6. In what two places was the Sorcerer's Stone hidden? (The more info given, the higher your score, Max.4)
badfinger - Vault 713, Gringott's Bank & snoz - The Mirror of ErisedAnd where's that?

7. Who besides Harry can see the thestrals?
snoz - Luna Lovegood & Cat - Neville Longbottom

8. Why were the five victims of the basilisk only petrified? (Max.5 pts.)
snoz - Mrs. Norris only saw its reflection, snoz - Colin saw it through his camera, Cat & Kairi - Justin was screened by Nearly-Headless-Nick, badfinger - Nearly-Headless-Nick was a ghost and couldn't be killed again, badfinger - Hermione saw it in her mirror.

9. Who framed Sirius Black for murder?
Cat - Peter Pettigrew

10. What two crimes did Harry witness in a nightmare? (extra pts for who, when & where, Max.6 each)
badfinger - the caretaker's murder, Summer Year 4, & Kairi - in the Riddle House
Cat - The attempted murder of Arthur Weasley & Kairi - December Year 5, at the Department of Mysteries)

11. What two people did Harry save from the merpeople?
snoz - Ron Weasley & Gabrielle Delacour

12. what are the seven positions on a Quidditch team? (1 point each)
maddog - 3 Chasers, & snoz - 1 Keeper, 2 Beaters, 1 Seeker

13. What is a Parselmouth?
loki - A wizard who understands/speaks snake language

14. What is an Animagus?
loki - A wizard who can transfigure himself into an animal

15. What two schools join Hogwart's for the TriWizard Tournament?
Kairi - Beaubaxton's & Durmstrang

16. What two reasons kept Snape out of James Potter's gang? (1 point each)

17. What five Animagi were introduced in the series? (extra pts each if you remember what they were!)
snoz - Minerva McGonagall(Cat), snoz - James Potter(Deer), snoz - Peter Pettigrew(Rat), snoz - Sirius Black(Dog), snoz - Rita Skeeter & Cat - (Mosquito)

18. Who prophesized of Harry & Voldemort, "One cannot live while the other survives"?
loki - Professor Sybil Trelawney

19. Who attended the funeral of Aragog?
Cat - Hagrid, Harry, & loki - Professor Horace Slughorn

20. What curse did Harry find in the Half-Blood Prince's Potionbook?
loki - Sectumsempra, the bloody nose curse

21. What were Voldemort's six Horcruxes?
loki - Tom Riddle's Diary, Marvolo's ring, The Slytherin Locket, The Hufflepuff Goblet, The Ravenclaw Diadem, Nagini the Snake

22. What Hogwart's artifact did Dumbledore bequeath to Harry?
Cat - The Sword Of Gryffindor

23. What are the three Deathly Hallows?
snoz - The Elder Wand, snoz - The Resurrection Stone, & snoz - The first Invisibility Cloak

24. Who kills Bellatrix Lestrange in the Battle of Hogwart's?
loki - Molly Weasley

25. What is Harry's younger son named, after who, and why? (The more info given, the higher your score, Max.7)
loki - Albus(for Dumbledore, but why? ) Severus(for Snape, the bravest wizard ever) Potter

Score: loki - 20, snoz - 28, badfinger - 9, Cat - 8, Kairi - 6, maddog - 3.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Subject: Re: Harry Potter and the Seven-Book Quiz! (KEEP OUT if you missed "Deathly Hallows")

Written By: loki 13 on 12/20/07 at 4:14 pm

Hi Doc, Questions taken at random....

13...Ability to speak to snakes?

14...Ability to transform into animals?

18...Professor Trelawny?

24...Mrs. Weasley?

25...Albus Severus Potter? (named for the greatest wizard Harry knew, Albus Dumbledor and one of the bravest men
                                     Harry knew, Severus Snape...Harry hated Snape and thought him a traitor and death eater
                                     until Severus gave Harry his memory, Harry then realized Snape was actually protecting him
                                    because of his love for Harry's mother, Lily.)

Subject: Re: Harry Potter and the Seven-Book Quiz! (KEEP OUT if you missed "Deathly Hallows")

Written By: Doc Brown on 12/20/07 at 5:18 pm

Hi Doc, Questions taken at random....

13...Ability to speak to snakes?

14...Ability to transform into animals?

18...Professor Trelawny?

24...Mrs. Weasley?

25...Albus Severus Potter? (named for the greatest wizard Harry knew, Albus Dumbledor and one of the bravest men
                                     Harry knew, Severus Snape...Harry hated Snape and thought him a traitor and death eater
                                     until Severus gave Harry his memory, Harry then realized Snape was actually protecting him
                                     because of his love for Harry's mother, Lily.)

Well done, loki. I thought you were swinging at the softballs there until you almost nailed the last one perfectly. A score of ten's gonna be tough to beat, let's see how well it holds up!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Subject: Re: Harry Potter and the Seven-Book Quiz! (KEEP OUT if you missed "Deathly Hallo

Written By: snozberries on 12/20/07 at 5:38 pm

8. Because rather than looking at the Basilislk directly in the eye...they looked in a reflection... Mrs Norton (the cat) in a puddle of water on the floor, Colin through a camera lens and Ginny in the mirror.

Subject: Re: Harry Potter and the Seven-Book Quiz! (KEEP OUT if you missed "Deathly Hallo

Written By: snozberries on 12/20/07 at 5:39 pm

11. Fleur's Sister and Ron Weasley

Written By: snozberries on 12/20/07 at 5:41 pm

2 Beaters
3 Keepers
1 Seeker
1 Goalie (damn I know this)

Written By: snozberries on 12/20/07 at 5:50 pm

2. Padfoot - the Black Dog Sirius Black 
    Moony-  the WereWolf  Lupin             
    Wormtail- the Rat  Peter Pettigrew
    Prongs - the Stag James Potter

17. Minerva McGonnagall (sp?) a cat
Sirius Black a black dog
Lupin a Wolf
Peter Pettigrew a  rat
James Potter a stag

Written By: snozberries on 12/20/07 at 6:46 pm

Thanks loki actually you have to take 3 pts from me cuz I called the  chasers keepers

Written By: Doc Brown on 12/20/07 at 7:09 pm

Thanks loki actually you have to take 3 pts from me cuz I called the  chasers keepers

Thanks loki? ??? Hey, this is DOC you're talkin to!  ;D

Nevertheless, Way to go, snoz! I thought loki was hot when he scored 10, but 20! :o
'Fraid I can't give you credit for Ginny(she was never petrified) or Lupin(werewolves are not animagi, they can't control transforming), but the other answers you gave were stellar. BTW, I can accept "Fleur's sister", since I didn't expect anyone to remember her name was Gabrielle. Can't wait to see who answers next. Keep your fingers crossed that your score holds!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: snozberries on 12/20/07 at 7:16 pm

Thanks loki? ??? Hey, this is DOC you're talkin to!  ;D

Nevertheless, Way to go, snoz! I thought loki was hot when he scored 10, but 20! :o
'Fraid I can't give you credit for Ginny(she was never petrified) or Lupin(werewolves are not animagi, they can't control transforming), but the other answers you gave were stellar. BTW, I can accept "Fleur's sister", since I didn't expect anyone to remember her name was Gabrielle. Can't wait to see who answers next. Keep your fingers crossed that your score holds!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

its the drugs I swear its the drugs... I was typing to you and reading loki's name. :-[ ... sorry doc I know what I meant to say!!! lol...lift the minimum already I wanna play some more!  Karma for a great quiz

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/20/07 at 8:01 pm

I knew I could get at least one of these.

8. Why were the five victims of the basilisk only petrified?
Nearly headless Nick,  he's a ghost, & already dead so he couldn't be killed even by looking directly at the basilisk
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6. In what two places was the Sorcerer's Stone hidden? (The more info given, the higher your score)
-It was first kept at Gringotts Bank in vault #713  (I'm not sure about the vault #)

Written By: Doc Brown on 12/20/07 at 8:25 pm

I knew I could get at least one of these.

8. Why were the five victims of the basilisk only petrified?
Nearly headless Nick,  he's a ghost, & already dead so he couldn't be killed even by looking directly at the basilisk
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6. In what two places was the Sorcerer's Stone hidden? (The more info given, the higher your score)
-It was first kept at Gringotts Bank in vault #713  (I'm not sure about the vault #)

Right on the money, Mike! Keep on playing!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/21/07 at 12:52 am

10. What crime did Harry witness in a nightmare? (extra pts for who, when & where, Max.6)

In the begiining of The Goblet Of Fire, it was the murder of the old muggle caretaker in some abandoned house. Voldemort killed him and Peter Pettigrew and Barty Crouch Jr. were both present

Written By: Doc Brown on 12/22/07 at 12:07 am

10. What crime did Harry witness in a nightmare? (extra pts for who, when & where, Max.6)

In the begiining of The Goblet Of Fire, it was the murder of the old muggle caretaker in some abandoned house. Voldemort killed him and Peter Pettigrew and Barty Crouch Jr. were both present

Right again, Mike. But there's another in a different book. Good luck finding it!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: snozberries on 12/22/07 at 12:46 am

I know I know have you lifted the minimum yet????  Sorry I'm channeling my inner Hermione  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 12/22/07 at 2:04 pm

7. Luna Lovegood

Written By: snozberries on 12/22/07 at 2:11 pm

23.  Harry's Invisibility Cloak, The Elder Wand and the ring with the resurrection stone.

Written By: loki 13 on 12/22/07 at 2:36 pm

#5... Basilisk Venom and fiendfyre, Gryffindor's sword because it absorbed Basilisk venom when Harry killed the basilik

#21. Tom Riddle's Diary
        Marvolo's Ring
        Slytherin's Locket
        Hufflepuff's Cup
        Ravenclaw's Diadem
        Nagini

Written By: Doc Brown on 12/22/07 at 2:57 pm

Holy hippogriffs! loki & snoz are correct on all the latest answers, and I just hope there's enough questions left for BF to make a run for the championship. I might start writing another quiz after the holidays, especially since this competition's gotten closer than the Quidditch World Cup! Good luck everyone.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: snozberries on 12/22/07 at 3:28 pm

Butter Beers all around!  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/beerchug.gif

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/22/07 at 6:05 pm

I thought Cat would've followed up her quiz by now, but I guess she went back and read ALL the books again!
Well at least she can play, because I've come up with 25 Questions which cover the entire saga, and there's plenty of opportunities to score extra points for your house. BTW, the final 5 questions pertain directly to the final book, so if you haven't finished it, Stay Away!
No using any dark magic, Limit's Now 7, and this might not be the end of the HP quizzes. Good luck everyone!

1. What is the motto(in English) of Hogwart's?

2. What were the nicknames of the Marauders? (extra pts if you remember who's who!)
snoz - Messers Mooney(Lupin), Wormtail(Pettigrew), Padfoot(Black), & Prongs(Potter)

3. In what town was the Potter home located?

4. Where did the portkey in the Triwizard cup lead?

5. What two substances are able to destroy Horcuxes?
loki - Basilisk Venom & Fiendfyre

6. In what two places was the Sorcerer's Stone hidden? (The more info given, the higher your score, Max.4)
badfinger - Vault 713, Gringott's Bank
And where else?

7. Who besides Harry can see the thestrals?
snoz - Luna Lovegood

8. Why were the five victims of the basilisk only petrified? (Max.5 pts.)
snoz - Mrs. Norris only saw its reflection, snoz - Colin saw it through his camera,
badfinger - Nearly-Headless-Nick was a ghost and couldn't be killed again
there's 2 more...

9. Who framed Sirius Black for murder?

10. What two crimes did Harry witness in a nightmare? (extra pts for who, when & where, Max.6 each)
badfinger - the caretaker's murder, Summer Year 4, (but where?)
And there's 1 more...

11. What two people did Harry save from the merpeople?
snoz - Ron Weasley & Gabrielle Delacour

12. what are the seven positions on a Quidditch team? (1 point each)
snoz -  1 Keeper, 2 Beaters, 1 Seeker
And there's 3 more...

13. What is a Parselmouth?
loki - A wizard who understands/speaks snake language

14. What is an Animagus?
loki - A wizard who can transfigure himself into an animal

15. What two schools join Hogwart's for the TriWizard Tournament? (1 point each)

16. What two reasons kept Snape out of James Potter's gang? (1 point each)

17. What five Animagi were introduced in the series? (extra pts each if you remember what they were!)
snoz - Minerva McGonagall(Cat), snoz - James Potter(Deer), snoz - Peter Pettigrew(Rat), snoz - Sirius Black(Dog)
And there's 1 more...

18. Who prophesized of Harry & Voldemort, "One cannot live while the other survives"?
loki - Professor Sybil Trelawney

19. Who atended the funeral of Aragog? (1 point each, Max.3)

20. What curse did Harry find in the Half-Blood Prince's Potionbook?

21. What were Voldemort's six Horcruxes?
loki - Tom Riddle's Diary, Marvolo's ring, The Slytherin locket, The Hufflepuff Goblet, The Ravenclaw diadem, Nagini The snake

22. What Hogwart's artifact did Dumbledore bequeath to Harry?

23. What are the three Deathly Hallows?
snoz - The Elder Wand, snoz - The Resurrection Stone, & snoz - The first Invisibility Cloak

24. Who kills Bellatrix Lestrange in the Battle of Hogwart's?
loki - Molly Weasley

25. What is Harry's younger son named, after who, and why? (The more info given, the higher your score, Max.7)
loki - Albus(for Dumbledore, but why? ) Severus(for Snape, the bravest wizard ever) Potter

Score: loki - 18, snoz - 24, badfinger - 8.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Wow! How did I miss this quiz.

#4. Led to the graveyard where Tom Riddle (Voldermort's Dad) was buried.
#9. Bellatrix LaStrange
#19. Hagrid, Harry, & Ron
#22. Griffendor's sword

Cat

Written By: Doc Brown on 12/22/07 at 10:16 pm

Wow! How did I miss this quiz.

#4. Led to the graveyard where Tom Riddle (Voldermort's Dad) was buried.
#9. Bellatrix LaStrange
#19. Hagrid, Harry, & Ron
#22. Griffendor's sword

Gee, I don't know, one of Lockhart's memory charms? :P
Anyway Cat, you got 4, 22, and 2/3 of 19 right, but on the others you'll have to keep trying. Hoping that BF does the same, I gotta see if snoz can be taken down. Keep reaching, the golden snitch is still out there!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/23/07 at 1:38 am

for some reason I thought I saw this one already answered.

#8 Hermione saw the basilisk in her mirror and was petrified

Written By: snozberries on 12/23/07 at 1:44 am

HEY!!!!  :D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/23/07 at 1:52 am

HEY!!!!   :D
I thought you had gotten that one  ??? 

Written By: snozberries on 12/23/07 at 1:53 am

oh no sorry mike not you...

I was Hey'ing Doc for this

I gotta see if snoz can be taken down.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/23/07 at 2:00 am

oh no sorry mike not you...

I was Hey'ing Doc for this
I see,  he's trying to get us into a healthy competition. that's like our poker games, we all chant "get Mike, get Mike" or whoever the previous winner was.

Written By: snozberries on 12/23/07 at 2:04 am

Yeah... I know a little competition is a good thing but stilll.....I like winning...

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/23/07 at 2:11 am

Yeah... I know a little competition is a good thing but stilll.....I like winning...
i agree, winning is good. so let's review the facts. 1. you are leading in points  :)          2.  you haven't won yet  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 12/23/07 at 2:15 am

i agree, winning is good. so let's review the facts. 1. you are leading in points  :)          2.  you haven't won yet  ;)

;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/23/07 at 2:26 pm

Oh yeah, NOW I remember #9-It was Peter Pettigrew (Wormtail)

BTW, #7 also included Neville Longbottom (he saw his grandfather die).

#8 The last one saw it through Nick and I can't remember who it was.

#16. Snape was in love with Lily.

#10. He witnessed Arthur Weasley being attacked.

#17. The reporter for the Daily Prophet could turn into a ladybug. Can't remember her name.

#19. (let me try this one again) Hagrid, Harry & Hermine

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 12/23/07 at 4:06 pm

#17. The reporter for the Daily Prophet could turn into a ladybug. Can't remember her name.

Cat

Rita Skeeter

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/23/07 at 4:50 pm

Rita Skeeter

Yeah, that's the one.

Cat

Written By: kairi747 on 12/24/07 at 6:08 am

8 - the last one was Justin Finch-Fletchely, the Hufflepuff boy from Herbology.

Written By: kairi747 on 12/24/07 at 6:11 am

10- Frank Bryce was killed in the Riddle Home.
    Arthur Weasley was attacked in the 5th year in the Ministry of Magic while guarding the locked door.

Written By: kairi747 on 12/24/07 at 6:14 am

15 - Beauxbatons and Durmstrang

Written By: snozberries on 12/30/07 at 10:38 pm

i'm probably over limit but no one else answered it... #3 Godric's Hollow.

Written By: maddog on 12/31/07 at 8:07 am

#12 The other 3 positions in the Quidditch team are the three Chasers.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/31/07 at 3:44 pm

#6-under the trap door that Fluffy was guarding on the 3rd floor (?) at Hogwarts.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 12/31/07 at 11:53 pm

#6-under the trap door that Fluffy was guarding on the 3rd floor (?) at Hogwarts.

Cat

what about when Harry hid it in his pocket.... does that count???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/01/08 at 4:39 pm

Harry didn't hide it in his pocket. Harry DISCOVERED it in his pocket-but it was still under the trap door.  ;) :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/01/08 at 4:43 pm

Harry didn't hide it in his pocket. Harry DISCOVERED it in his pocket-but it was still under the trap door.  ;) :D ;D ;D

Cat

ah yes the technicality of it all....  :)  it was after all 6 whole books ago!

Written By: karen on 01/04/08 at 11:35 am

Re: number 8 I thought someone else was with Hermione and also got petrified.  Penelope Clearwater I think (Percy's girlfriend)

Written By: karen on 01/04/08 at 12:39 pm

Also #21.  Harry was also a Horcrux albeit accidently created.

Written By: snozberries on 01/20/08 at 10:18 am

Cat

Cat

ah yes the technicality of it all....  :)  it was after all 6 whole books ago!

Okay so I'm watching the Sorcerer's Stone on Disney Channel and guess what... the stone is hidden inside the Mirror of Erised.  The only person who can find it is the person who doesn't want to use it...  That's why it winds up in Harry's Pocket.

Written By: snozberries on 01/29/08 at 9:20 pm

no one else seems to know it so  Hogwarts motto (in English) is Never Tickle a Sleeping Dragon

Written By: loki 13 on 01/30/08 at 3:41 pm

no one else seems to know it so  Hogwarts motto (in English) is Never Tickle a Sleeping Dragon

I knew this one, as well as the other person who attended the funeral if Aragog and the curse Harry
found in the potion book, But every time I check this thread the limit was still 7 so I didn't answer.

Written By: loki 13 on 01/30/08 at 7:14 pm

#19...Professor Slughorn also attended the funeral.

#20...Sectumsempra was the curse I believe, it tore a gash in Malfoy's face

Written By: snozberries on 01/30/08 at 7:17 pm

I knew this one, as well as the other person who attended the funeral if Aragog and the curse Harry
found in the potion book, But every time I check this thread the limit was still 7 so I didn't answer.

sorry I got tired of waiting...plus I am eager for the next quiz

I can't answer the other questions my answer raised loki...

Check for new replies or respond here...