inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Name that voice - CLOSED

Written By: Mushroom on 05/09/09 at 9:35 am

Each of the following voices was played by a famous actor or actress.  How many can you name?  For a bonus, name the movie.

1.  Famous for playing 2 bears, he also played a famous cat.
Philip Eno: Phil Harris.  He played a bear in The Jungle Book (Balou), Robin Hood (Little John), and a cat in The Aristocats (Thomas O'Malley the Alley Cat)

2.  He not only trims bonsai trees, he also is an Emperor.
loki 13:  Pat Morita (The emperor in Mulan)

3.  This diverse actor played a cat, skunk, stork, snake, and a mouse.  But was most famous as a bear.
Mushroom:  Sterling Holloway.  He played the Cheshire Cat in Alice In Wonderland, adult Thumper in Bambi, Mr. Stork in Dumbo, and the snake Kaa in The Jungle Book.  But he is most famous as the voice of Winnie The Pooh.

4.  He played a siamese cat, a tiger, a woodpecker, and an owl in a classic TV commercial.
Mushroom: Paul Winchell.  He was Shun Gon in The Aristocats, Tigger in Winnie The Pooh, Boomer the Woodpecker in The Fox And The Hound, and Mr. Owl in the classic Toosie Pop commercial.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IA5Cv_5-g8

5.  The daughter of the above actor, she has had a 21 year career with Disney, playing everything from the owner of a Leporidae babysitter, to a cow.
Mushroom: April Winchell.  Paul's daughter was the mother of Baby Herman from Who Frammed Roger Rabbit, and is currently the voice of Clarabell Cow in various Disney animated shorts.

6.  A famous country and folk singer in his own right, he is known to millions of kids as playing a singing rooster.
Gaylon - Roger Miller, Alan-A-Dale from Robin Hood.

7.  Famous for his slow drawl, his last role was as a hound dog.
Mushroom: This of course if Jimmy Stewart.  His last roll was as Sheriff Wylie in An American Tail: Fievel Goes West.

8.  With 2 Oscars under his belt (as well as a Grammy, a Golden Globe, and 3 Emmy's) this domineering actor might seem an unusual pick to play a lion that always asked for his mommy.
Mushroom: This would be Peter Ustinov, who was Prince John in Disney's Robin Hood.

9.  This popular actor was not only a cook, he was a voice over master.  Among his roles was a crow, Dachshund, a criminal that used dogs for his crimes, and a mouse loving cat.
Mushroom: This would be the late Dom DeLuise.  He was Jeremy the Crow in the NIMH series, Itchy in the All Dogs Go To Heaven series, Fagin in Oliver And Company, and Tiger from the American Tail series.

10.  Possessing 5 Grammy's, he was an unusual pick to play a fellonious dog that became mentor to a cat.
Indy Gent: Billy Joel, who played Dodger

11.  This ethnic actor is part of a famous duo.  But kids know him for playing a chihuahua, a hyena, a second chihuahua, and Impala.
loki 13:  Cheech Marin.  He played a chihuaua in Oliver & Company and Beverly Hills Chihuahua, a hyena in The Lion King, and a 1959 Chevy Impala in Cars.

12.  Famous for being hard to kill, he has also voiced a baby, a drunk, and a raccoon.
loki 13: He was in Look Who's Talking, and was a raccoon in Over The Hedge.

13.  Among many of his famous roles are a cat, 2 different basketball players, a Porsche 935, and a janitor dog.
Indy Gent:  Scatman Crothers.  He was Scat Cat in The Aristocats, Meadowlark Lemon in the Scooby-Do movies, then later Nate Branch in The Super Globetrotters.  He was Jazz in The Transformers, and of course his most famous cartoon role, Hong Kong Phooey.

14.  More famous in connection to the music industry, he was also a cat, a boy wonder, and a beatnick.
Whistledog:  Casey Kasem, he was the manager of Josie & The Pussycats, as well as Shaggy.

15.  Long a famous radio actor, he also voiced a Dachshund, a spy for Mr. Big, an Ape, Santa's nemisis, a dwarf, 2 Beatles, a Ghost, a Thing, a hunk of dough, and a Toucan.
Mushroom: This is Paul Frees.  Among his most famous roles was Borris Badinov from Rocky & Bullwinkle, Ape from George Of The Jungle, Burgermeister Meisterburger in Santa Claus Is Comming To Town, Bombur in The Hobbit, George Harrison and John Lennon in The Beatles cartoon series, Space Ghost, The Thing in The Fantastic 4 cartoon series, the Pillsbury Dough Boy, and Toucan Sam.

Subject: Re: Name that voice

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/09/09 at 10:19 am

#1. Phil Harris, played a Balou in the Jungle Book and a cat in The Aristocats.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/09/09 at 10:20 am

Any limit to the number of answers?

Written By: loki 13 on 05/09/09 at 10:30 am

#2...Pat Morita...Mulan?

#11...Cheech Marin....Cars, Beverly Hills Chihuahua?

#12...Bruce Willis....Look Who's Talking and RJ the raccoon though the title escapes me?

Written By: Mushroom on 05/09/09 at 4:12 pm

#1. Phil Harris, played a Balou in the Jungle Book and a cat in The Aristocats.

Very good, but you missed one of his bears.  :)

Any limit to the number of answers?

How about 3?  :)

#2...Pat Morita...Mulan?

#11...Cheech Marin....Cars, Beverly Hills Chihuahua?

#12...Bruce Willis....Look Who's Talking and RJ the raccoon though the title escapes me?

Yep, but you missed his over-sexed chihuahua in Oliver & Company.  :)

Written By: Gaylon on 05/11/09 at 3:28 pm

6. Roger Miller, in Robin Hood

Written By: whistledog on 05/11/09 at 7:17 pm

#14 is Casey Kasem, the voice of Shaggy (Scooby Doo Mysteries) and Robin (The Super Friends)

Written By: Mushroom on 05/13/09 at 1:15 am

6. Roger Miller, in Robin Hood

Exactly right.  He played the character of Alan-A-Dale.

#14 is Casey Kasem, the voice of Shaggy (Scooby Doo Mysteries) and Robin (The Super Friends)

You got it.  Right on both counts  :)  But you missed his role as Alexander Cabot III, the manager of Josie & the Pussycats  :)

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/17/09 at 1:10 pm

10. Billy Joel, who voiced the dog in "Oliver and Company".

I would say that 7 was Pat Buttram, who was the hound Napoleon in "The Aristocats".

Written By: Mushroom on 05/17/09 at 8:08 pm

10. Billy Joel, who voiced the dog in "Oliver and Company".

I would say that 7 was Pat Buttram, who was the hound Napoleon in "The Aristocats".

Well, the first one was correct.

The second was a good guess, but Pat went on to many other roles.  His last was in The Goofy Movie.  But he was a long-time regular voice actor for Disney.  Among his other roles was the Sheriff of Nottingham in Robin Hood, Chief in The Fox And The Hound, and Luke in The Rescuers.

However, Pat did know the correct answer, and appeared on his show once.

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/23/09 at 2:54 am

I'm drawing a blank on 7. But I believe 13 is Scatman Crothers, who was the janitor dog in Hong Kong Phooey, one of the alley cats in "The Aristocats",Jazz in the 80s animated version of  "The Transformers",  and two of the Harlem Globetrotters (one was Meadowalrk Lemon, don't know the other one).
Well, the first one was correct.

The second was a good guess, but Pat went on to many other roles.  His last was in The Goofy Movie.  But he was a long-time regular voice actor for Disney.  Among his other roles was the Sheriff of Nottingham in Robin Hood, Chief in The Fox And The Hound, and Luke in The Rescuers.

However, Pat did know the correct answer, and appeared on his show once.

Written By: Mushroom on 05/24/09 at 8:36 am

I'm drawing a blank on 7. But I believe 13 is Scatman Crothers, who was the janitor dog in Hong Kong Phooey, one of the alley cats in "The Aristocats",Jazz in the 80s animated version of  "The Transformers",  and two of the Harlem Globetrotters (one was Meadowalrk Lemon, don't know the other one).

Good job.  The missing Globetrotter was Nate Branch, who was nowhere near as iconic as Meadowlark Lemon was.

The problem with so many of these is that they really are well known actors for the most part.  And listing almost any other role would totally give them away.  Like Billy Joel, who only has one acting credit to his name, the movie Oliver & Company.  I had little choice bot to reference his singing achievements.

And again part of the irony is, with only 1 or 2 exceptions, most will go "OMG, why did'nt I think of that!" when they are solved.

But I am going to have to draw it to a close in a few days, since my leave is almost over and I am due to go back to Qatar.  Because I do not know how reliable my internet will be over there, I do not want to have it hanging in limbo.

Subject: Re: Name that voice - CLOSED

Written By: Mushroom on 05/26/09 at 9:52 pm

Because I am flying back tomorrow morning, I had to go ahead and close this, since I am not sure when I will be online again.  I want to thank everybody for participating.  :)

Hopefully nobody is smacking themselves to hard in the head for the ones that nobody got.  ;)

Written By: Henk on 05/27/09 at 12:54 am

I'm not smacking myself. There's quite a lot of actors I've never even heard of. That might have something to do with the fact that we get to see/hear the dubbed versions of the movies, so I really wouldn't know the original voice. (Well, with a few exceptions of course)

Still, a great idea for a quiz. :) Karma to you.

Written By: Mushroom on 05/31/09 at 5:17 am

I'm not smacking myself. There's quite a lot of actors I've never even heard of. That might have something to do with the fact that we get to see/hear the dubbed versions of the movies, so I really wouldn't know the original voice. (Well, with a few exceptions of course)

Still, a great idea for a quiz. :) Karma to you.

Thanks, although there is probably also a level of generational gap at play here also.

Those my age and older probably remember Paul Winchell's TV show, and those older might remember his radio show.  While not as well known by himself as Edgar Bergen, his characters  Jerry Mahoney and Knucklehead Smiff are well known to baby boomers.

And ironically, he was one of the co-inventors of the Jarvik artificial heart.

Check for new replies or respond here...